1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

LLirik's lunch hour abuse

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Llirik, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

Ab Rollers Day

I'm working from home today. Going to do some experimental sets with my home-made ab-rollers.
    Maybe post a video or two.

2. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

So, the videos didn't heppen. Will do them another day.

Friday night workout consisted of a run to the grocery store with kid in stroller, loading it up with some food and beer, and running back home. In all, probably about a 2.5 mile run

Saturday:
    Wife signed us up for a 5K AIDS walk in downtown Chicago. Her work is encouraging community involvement or some such, and since she's a pharmacist in a neighborhood with pretty dense HIV population, this is what she signed up for.
    So, we drive to downtown. It's cold as hell, and windy. Wrap the kid up in a blanket, and throw a rain cover on the jogger for wind protection. We planned on walking the entire thing. After an hour of waiting for the walk to start, we finally get moving. First the runners, then the walking crowd finally gets going. This is only on sidewalks, so the people are PACKED into a narrow path, and walking at a pace of a herd of turtles. The most athletic aspect of the mess is the running shoes everyone is wearing.
    The kid is freaking pissed that his scenery is now limited to an array of rather unattractive human asses. Now it starts raining. Every moment of this I'm wishing that my wife stuck to her goal, and prepped herself to run this thing. We would have been finished with the run before the walkers covered a mile.

So we walk a little more, accompanied by some cheering "bands" on the side of the path, random cries of support from the pedestrians, and my kid's occasional, but determined display of protest to this whole endeavor. Eventually, we just decided to cut our losses, and head for the car.
    Despite all this, I actually had a great time. I've never done a walk or a run like this before, but I totally see the attraction of a common cause, and the atmosphere of the event is generally fun. I'm gonna get on my wife to start training again, so that we can actually run this thing next time.

Saturday evening, around 7pm, I packed my kid in the stroller again ( he must have been seriously questioning my parental sanity at that point ) and went for an actual run. Did about 3 miles, and let him out to crawl around in a very wet, and deserted park by our house. Much more pleasant experience for both of us.

3. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

Soo, utterly useless Monday.

At lunch, I ended up going to a store to pick up some food items for home, and check out some clothes for my kid.
    Upon coming back to the office I found out that I had managed to seriously fuck some things up in our production, resulting in REAAAAALLY nasty, though brief outage. I don't remember last time I was so worried about my job. Still remains to be seen how things work out. Figured if they kick me out, more time for gym :tu:
    Did think I was going to the gym after wife came home to relieve me from the kid, but by that time I had already a few drinks in me to calm down from this disastrous work day, so gym just didn't happen for me.

Today, I'm hoping will be better.

4. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

Hey at least the outrage was brief, what is it that you do?

In my experience unless you make a habit out of fucking things up or your boss just likes firing people your probably fine, its a real pain in the ass to find new employee's and train them.

5. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

Yeah, the outage was brief. Would have been even briefer if they actually contacted ME and not the rest of my group when they noticed the application was malfunctioning. :confused:

I do IT work for a financial organization.

6. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

Back in the gym today.

10 sets total. I am pretty happy with being able to finish this workout. Now, I'm gonna work on fine-tuning it.

• I would like to get to 10pullups per set.
    • I would like to add another exercise into each set. Maybe squats.
    • Core work needs more diversity.
    • I would like to shorten the rest time between sets. That would require some serious cardio conditioning, since i'm pretty winded after the situps are done.
    • Right now my rest time is over 2 min, but not sure of the precise measure. Might start timing myself on it.
    8 pullups
    20 pushups
    20 russian barbell twists

8 pullups
    20 pushups
    20 situps

8 pullups
    20 pushups
    20 russian barbell twists

8 pullups pamlms in
    20 duiamond pushups
    20 situps

8 pullups
    20 diamond pushups
    20 russian twists

8 pullups palms in
    20 pushups feet elevated
    20 situps + 10 lbs

8 pullups
    15 military press pushups
    20 russian twists

8 palms in
    20 pushups feet elevated
    Plank

8 pullups
    20 diamond pushups
    40 seated russian twists 20 per side

8 pullups
    20 pushups feet elevated
    12 sweeps 12 per side and up

7. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

Added a two mile jog to my workout today, when I ran to pick up the kid.

Come to think of it, I don't actually recall the last time I ran outside without pushing the stroller.

8. sudy

sudy Active Member

think we've all made costly mistakes at work.. at least, I know I have :/ try not to worry about it though, as long as you're not making them regularly it'll soon be forgotten about.

9. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

Well, I'm still employed. I think my boss has managed to put a spin on the incident, which blamed technology, and not my carelessness. I guess I'll think twice about badmouthing him again.
    Still, does not remove the fact that I should have kept all changes to after hours. If they only gave us a reasonable maintenance window, none of this would have happened. Kinda hard to make changes, when your maintenance window is 1 hour on Sunday morning.

Oh, here's my work "cube pantry"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#69 Llirik, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  10. Rise

Rise Active Member

wow nice selection. all i've got are granola bars and almonds. that pantry puts my "stash" to shame. you've even got multivitamins! (i think)

I've been following along with your work outs, they're very creative. I especially like the IT rings in the server room :lol: keep it up!

11. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

Thanks Rise. I actually check your log for ideas. I'm quite familiar with Crossfit through their site, and references to it by people in forums. I generally like their approach to fitness. Not a huge fan of certain other aspects of their culture.

Today's workout
    I tried Windshield wipers today, for the first time after discovering them on Youtube. I will definitely incorporate these into my core training. If you're not familiar with them, here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mypv_nTRP_A

12 hanging leg raises
    12 standing presses x bar
    12 lunges per leg

12 standind presses x 65
    12 wipers
    12 lunges x 25 in front

12 wipers 6 per side
    12 presses x 85
    24 alternating lunges 12 per leg. Half step foreward. Half step back

12 wipers 6 per side
    8 presses x 95
    12 squats with 45 wheel in front bent arms

12 leg raises
    5 presses x 95
    24 alternating lunges + 35 lb plate

20 arm raises x 20 lbs
    Sumo dumbell squats +70 lb x 8
    Decline situps x 10 + plank

Front arm raises - 12 per arm x 15 lbs
    Leg press 90 x 12
    Situps x 20

Leg press 12 x 180
    Elevated calf raises 20 x foot
    Seated russian twists 12 per side

12. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

Looks like some good stuff. Wouldn't it be nice if your company stocked some of that stuff instead of all that HFCS-laden soda?

13. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

and instead they stock up on this crap:
    [​IMG]

I don't even consider this food.

14. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

Treadmill 5K
    Took me about 30 minutes including warmup and cooldown.
    I usually keep an average of a 2point incline.
    Today I did intervals. Jacked the thing up to the 10"mph" speed at one interval, and I honestly thought I'd get thrown off it.
    It was fun. I'll have to do it again.:jumping:

15. sevenatenine

Haha intervals on a treadmill are fun but kind of scary, I always get the feeling like I'm going to get thrown off too. Fastest I have been was 14kmph and it was like trying to outrun a tiger, because you know if you miss that wall behind you will be there to catch you (in my case a giant window lol).

Have you ever tried cycle sprints?

16. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

the scary thing about manual intervals is that when your legs are doing the Sonic the Hedgehog on the treadmill, and you need to drop the speed FAST, you're poking at the stupid [-] button on the speed menu, and the damn motor is in NO freaking hurry to decelerate. Meanwhile, you've only got one moving arm to help propel you "forward", thinking that one wrong step and you will replace the person behind you on their treadmill.

Haven't tried these on the bike yet, but I hate most gym bikes. Especially ones with the seat wide enough to accommodate a nursing Sow and her 12-piglet litter.

17. sevenatenine

The little skinny seats feel like I'm having gay sex the wrong way and I read that the pressure it places against the scrotum (which extends quite some distance inside the body) can cause erectile problems.

Anyways thats a little much now that I read it, but I love the big fat sow seats!

You should try them on a bike sometime and see if you like them. I do 2 minute intervals, 1:30 at a relaxed pace, then I crank up the resistance and pedal as fast and hard as I can for 30 seconds rinse repeat. 14 minutes later and I feel like a new man..... the kind who breathes like a race horse and bathes in his own sweat lol.

18. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

This is why I seldom use bikes at the gym. before my bike got stolen, I had a slim seat and wore bike shorts when I rode for long distances. It's all about getting the seat position right, and the frame to fit. I really miss my bike, but had to put off getting a new one. Maybe next year. My plan is to get two bikes for wife and me, and go riding in the forest preserves to get out of the city more.

I didn't work out at all yesterday. Kid is sick, and it's driving me nuts. Maybe will run out during his nap today... or just go for a nap myself :confused:

19. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

I just got done doing fasted LISS on my spin-bike this morning. I used to hate the thing just because it's boring, but I find that as long as there's something on the TV it's fine. Favorite time to use it is during Jeopardy or The Office. Plus, I can do HIIT and work up a sweat pretty quickly when I don't have a lot of time for cardio. I agree, a good blast of sweating is rejuvenating.... I don't have any problems with the seat, but I guess it could be modified if that were an issue. It was a real sanity-saver last winter when we had record snowfall and I couldn't get out; of course, shovelling all that white stuff was pretty good cardio, too....though I could forego that kind of cardio this winter.........but I'm sure you don't have problems with bad winters up there, now do you? :D

20. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

Bad Winters in Chicago? Puh-lease, we hardly ever have a snowfall.
    Since we have a condo, however, I never have to worry about shoveling snow. I do enjoy it, actually. Now that I think about it, I haven't gone skiing in a looooong time.

Back to bikes: I've always enjoyed offroad biking. I feel that I see enough pavement on daily basis, that when i got on a bike, i was always looking for dirt. I really need to buy a bike.