1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

LLirik's lunch hour abuse

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Llirik, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

So, before I became a regular Lunch-hour Bally's guest, I would go into our storage room, and do quickie workouts. I did it a few times a day, too. Things like pushups, bodyweight squats, shuffle servers around, just to keep moving, and such. I got pretty creative, and mounted a long PDU (basically a 6-ft power strip) between two tall shelves and used it for pullups. (will post a picture of it. Still hanging in that room.

Anyways: I decided to amp things up one day, picked up a 60LB server and decided to do a few squats, wearing my Dockers.
    45 seconds later I was duct-taping the football-size hole on the ass of my pants, from the inside, praying it will hold until I make it to Target.

I'll take your word on the Steven Hawkins comment :)

2. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

That sounds like quite the creative lunch hour you had going. You gave all the up for a silly gym membership?? :lol:

3. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

At one point, I think I tried lobbying to get a treadmill and a shower installed.
    We got wire shelving instead :rolleyes:

4. BJ

BJ Active Member

:spitcoffee: that is hilarious... did it hold together until you made it to target?

5. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah, it held magically. It was the trip from the room to the cube, and then to find the duct tape, and then to the bathroom that was scary

6. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

That would not make a good commercial for Docker's; however, you may be able to sell the idea to the folks who make duct tape!:lol:

7. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

I am yet to discover a problem that cannot be remedied with something shiny and sticky that comes in a roll.

8. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

As my dad once told me, a hammer and a duct tape will fix just about anything.

9. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

Damn, my thread rolled off the first page again. Pathetic! I seriously need to get into the habit of working out on weekends, and on trips away from home. Especially since those trips usually involve lots of drinking and eating too much.

Back in the gym today. Here's what I came up with

Pullups 10
    Pushups 20. Hands on Dumbells; feet elevated

Pullups 10
    v-ups 20

Pullups 10
    Floor situps 20

Pullups 10
    Floor situps 20

Pullups 9.5 ( just couldn't get that last one all the way up. Even though I looked like I was convulsing on the bars )
    Pushups 20. dumbells feet elevated varrying spread
    Sweeps full range 12

Pullups palms in 10
    Pushups dumbells 20
    Situps 20

At this point, I took a slightly longer than 2-min break.

Pullups 5
    Pushups 15
    Sweeps 10

Pullups palms in 5
    Pushups 20
    Leans + 25lb 12 per side

Almost puked on this last set, plus it was time to get back to work. Could have probably tossed in 2 more of the lighter sets, but didn't really feel like cleaning up a mess I would have surely made.

#49 Llirik, Sep 27, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  10. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

Today was cardio. I normally prefer to do any form of cardio outdoors, especially, since Chicago finally has enjoyable weather. Lately, having not done that regularly enough, I took it to the gym.

10 minute treadmill. 4 incline. ~1 mile
    10 minute elliptical. lvl 12. ~1mile
    10 minute stairs. lvl 12. Not sure how many floors,
    10 minute bike. ~3.5 miles

11. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

So, a few hours after the 40 minute Cardio hell, my friend calls up and says he wants to go for a workout. I say " sure, sounds swell". he wants to do chest. I'm thinking back to 160 pushups from yesterday, and figure what the hell, I can handle it.

I shove as much food into my mouth as I possibly can, while shoving food into the kid's mouth before his bedtime. Chug down a ton of water, and sit and wait for my wife to get home so we can leave. Wife Arrives, he arrives, we go.

Here's a quick summary of the time spent at Bally's. A little non-cohesive, but for a second workout of the day, I thought it was alright

Incline bench:
    95 x 12
    115 x 12
    135 x 12

Flat bench negatives. 6 count down, 1 count up.
    95 x 12
    95 x 12
    95 x 12

barbell flies
    25 x 12
    25 x 12

hangin leg raises

Barbell curls
    45 x 12
    65 x 12
    65 x 8

Hammer machine - preacher curl 21s
    35 x 21
    35 x 21

hanging leg raises

Situps x 20
    Sweeps x 20
    ab-rollers with small barbell x 15
    twists + 13lb ball x 15

I'm tired now.

12. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

Strangely I had a ton of energy today, despite 2 workouts yesterday, less sleep than usual. I had an awesome breakfast (coffee, huge bowl of oatmeal, apple and banana).

Did back today:

1 mile elliptical

Deads

Was doing these next to a guy lifting 305. Oh well. Some day.

95 x 10

145 x 10

165 x 10

165 x 8

175 x 5

175 x 5

115 x 10

Good mornings
    Never done these before, so light weights, tried to watch form very carefully.
    Bar x 10
    65 x 10

65 x 10

Dumbell romanian
    40 x 10

55 x 8

55 x 8

Light core work here and there, such as weighted leans, and ab rollers.
    Pretty dry workout overall, as I like to do sets of 2-3 exercises, but with back, I normally try to rest as much as possible between sets.

13. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

I remember one of my old gyms I was deadlifting 135 and this black guy who's about 6'5 300+lbs comes over and starts doing pendelay rows right beside me with 315. In case you didn't know, a pendelay row is like a bb row where the bar touches the ground between each rep, they are hard as hell, and I don't even know if god could do them with 315.

Anyways where was I going with this... oh yea, started chatting with the guy and he was real nice, said he had been working out for 15 years and encouraged me to keep at it if I wanted to get that strong. I think he was just a freak of nature, but keep at it and you will be pulling 305 in no time!
    Might be a little longer before you can pendelay row that though :lol:

14. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

Pendlay rows look like fun. I'm gonna try these... probably with just the bar :lol:
    On the progress note, I have a friend who's been working out religiously for about 5-6 years now. He is about 5'7 and 145 lbs. (I am 5'6 and 145) His current goals are 305 deadlift and 225 bench, among a few others.
    If I ever get to these weights I would be pretty happy with myself. I Don't spend half the time in the gym that he does though. Then again, He no longer has to spoon-feed and diaper his children :)

#54 Llirik, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  15. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

Here's the pull-up rack I fashioned out of a Server PDU and some cables. It still sits in the storage room for emergency days when I need to blow off a little steam and gym is out of the question. The network cables are wrapped around the rings of power cables. They also slide along the PDU, which allows for variety.
    I do some pushups in there too, but we all know what a floor looks like :).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Your pullup station looks like a fire hazard :lol:

17. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

only if I plug it in :evil:

18. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

oh yeah.. and here is today's workout.

Treadmill: 1 mile

seated Military press:
    ( I really want to get away from this exercise, and do free standing military presses, even if that means much lighter weights)

105 x 10
    105 x 10
    105 x 8
    95 x 12

2 sets of preacher curls during rest times.
    1. set 45 x 20
    2. set 55 x 10

Upright barbell rows:

45 x 12
    55 x 12
    65 x 8

Dumbell raises
    15 lbs:
    Alternating Front x 12 / arm
    Side = 12

Hanging leg raises x 15
    STUPID idea, as it totally tired out my wrists, and following dumbell raises were much harder

Dumbell raises
    15 lbs:
    front x 10
    side x 18

15lbs:
    alternating front x 12/ arm
    alternating side x 12 / arm

situps and other core crap.

45lb plate shrugs

x15
    x20
    x15

#58 Llirik, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  19. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

I was thinking your pull-up station looked more like some type of torture device: you know, like where they extract confessions out of bad employees. The kind who steal post-it notes and use the office fax for personal stuff.:lol:

20. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

It's interesting that you mention that because someone left an anonymous note in the break room today saying
    I really don't know what to make of this. We have fully stocked coolers in our office. I think most of the company business units have them. In the coolers we have an almost full range of Coke and Pepsi products ( imagine for a second how freaking hard it is to stay away from those ). In addition to that, there are 3 varieties of juice drinks (not 100% fruit juices), and Ginger Ale.
    There is also a coffee maker, with 3-4 types of coffee pouches. Oh, and there's iced tea, hot chocolate pouches, and 4-5 varieties of gourmet tea bags.

Personally, I only drink one cup of coffee a day. At most 2 cans of soda per week, and maybe 1 or 2 bottles of juice, which I dilute 1:4 with water. To me, I don't think I'm getting all that much out of the deal, but looking at some people, who probably drink their body's volume in Coke on daily basis, they'd probably go broke if they had to pay for it themselves...That or be healthier and just drink water.
    I've also gotten raises, and about $5K worth of training this year (which can spread pretty thin over the 5-yr tenure with my firm). Still, with the raises and such, my compensation increase well exceeds what I drink worth of free juice and pepsi.

Not really sure where I am going with this. It makes me wonder if whoever posted that note is just reaaaally getting the short end of the stick. Maybe they are trying to make up for it in post-it notes and Bic pens.
    (see how I circled it all back to the Post-its :) )