1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Little Advice?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by raiin, Nov 27, 2017.

1. raiin

raiin New Member

Hello there, I don't know if this is the right place to post this, as I'm new.

My name is Cam, I'm 16.
    I want to lose weight, (who doesn't?)
    I'm around 200lbs
    Is there anything anyone could recommend to lose weight without really changing my diet, as I eat out quite a bit, and really can't change it.
    I know a lot depends on diet and I'm sure there's better options to get when I have to eat out. (most of the time it's not a choice.)
    I really just want to lose atleast 20-30lbs. I don't really know what to do so if there's any advice anyone could give, it'd be much appreciated.
    I have asthma so I don't think running is a good idea.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

While an increase in exercise will help, you'll get a big bang for your buck by making better food choices and employing portion control. Without any further information it's hard to give anything besides general guidelines.

I'm not advocating it, but I also have asthma so I know how debilitating it can be yet I've managed to run more than my share of marathons. If running isn't your thing, and it isn't for many, what about walking?

3. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

If your goal is to lose weight, controlling what you eat is about the only way. Exercise is good for a lot of reasons but it really doesn't burn as many calories as people think. As such, exercise is not an efficient way to loose weight.

If your goal is to look better but you don't really care about the number on the scale, consider weight lifting. You will still need to eat healthier but having a higher percentage of muscle and lower percentage of body fat makes you look better.

At 16 you are the perfect age to get started on a program like starting strength or stronglifts. You will need access to a gym with a good barbell section with a squat rack and that allows dead lifting.