1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Like a Phoenix from the Ashes

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by k3vb0, Jan 2, 2009.

1. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Workout of the Day
    “Half Murph”
    For time:
    Run 800m
    50 Pull-ups
    100 Push-ups
    150 Air Squats
    Run 800m

- Partition the reps as needed (ie 10 rounds of 5/10/15)
    Time to complete 26:17

All of the named workouts are pretty tough, and Murphy is one of the toughest. It's a chipper, meaning you have to chip away to and get some rest in to get it all done. The guy next to me on the pull-up bars is one of our better athletes, and he completed it in 17 minutes and change. :eek: One of our athletes decided to do a full Murph since to celebrate his 41st birthday, and he did the whole thing in 56 minutes (I just drank and ate a lot on my birthday). On a personal level, I was happy to finally be able to do this without a twinge from my right bicep. It's still weak, but it completed the whole workout with absolutely no pain.

Murph: In memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005.

This workout was one of Mike's favorites and he'd named it "Body Armor," but it's now known as Murph.

2. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member

That sounds brutal. Well done!

3. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Thanks MM. I am sooooo sore today. DOMS of DOOM!

4. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Nice job on the workout! Even happier news with no twinges on the bicep. I have a runner friend who tore his quad right above the knee carrying wine bottles on a snowy day. He's a runner and going crazy! His wife has to drive him to work everyday along with PT therapy. She's about ready to scream and shoot herself as well. :blank:

5. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Nice workout. Good news re the bicept healing.

Is a full murph double the half Murph?

Do you remember my niece who pm'd you with questions on cross fit? She is doing great with it and her husband has lost 60 pounds since they joined. Thanks for your help. :tucool:

6. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Thanks Kree. I understand your friend's situation. And my wife suffers way worse than I do when I get injured. Largely because of all of the whining. :blank:
    Yup, a full Murph is double, so 1 mile, 100 pull-ups, 200 pushups, 300 air squats, and another mile run. The really conditioned athletes do this wearing a weighted vest.

And that is awesome about your niece and her husband. I'm glad it's working for them. :nod:

7. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

I may be pushing it a little too hard. Today is a rest day, and I was feeling exceedingly fatigued, but toyed with the idea of going to the gym. Gotta keep my brain on the right track here.

8. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Workout of the Day
    Back Squat 135X5 155X5 205X5 225X5 225X5
    then,
    Ten Rounds For Max Reps:
    60sec Squat Clean + Jerk 135
    60sec Rest
    Total reps : 35

This was a tough workout. I was trying to muscle up the weight instead of using good form, and my wrists were killing me. My coach saw what I was doing, helped me correct my form, and the wrist pain immediately went away. This is why I love my gym, the constant feedback really helps to achieve good form. My squats felt better than they have in a long time. I've been doing the flute exercises prescribed by my hip surgeon, and it's amazing the amount of control I now have. My coach told me my squat form is getting very good, which is high praise since it started out so terrible.

9. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Catching up on several days:
    Workout of the Day 3/28/14
    Skill: 3min AMRAP Rope Climbs
    - Standard Rx 11′ Rope Climb: start with knees on ground, head to rafters, return to ground with control.
    then,
    Three Rounds For Time:
    50 Double Unders
    25 KB Swings 55 lbs
    3 Turkish Get-ups per side 25 lbs
    Time 19:26
    I'm still working on getting my double unders, I just can't seem to get the timing right. Coach Trish told me I am going too fast and to slow it down. Good advice and it actually helped me to string more together consecutively. Turkish getups are incredibly difficult for me, I really need to work on my static shoulder control while moving the rest of my body. I finally got rope climbs. My biggest problem was not holding the rope correctly with my feet, and I kept slipping down the rope.

3/29/14
    Upper Body Workout
    Arnold Press 35X8,8,8
    Chin Ups BWX7,6,8
    Y Press 27.5X10,10,10
    High Incline DB Press 45X12,12,12,12,12
    Bent Over BB Row 135X8,8,8,8,8
    Palloff Press 50X8 55X8
    Rear Delt Fly 15X15,15
    Incline DB Curl 30X10,10,10
    Tricep Pushdown 52.5X12 57.5X12 62.5X12
    Straight Bar Curl 50X10,10,10
    Dips BWX8,8,8
    Wrist Curls 45X15,15,15

Followed by 3.15 miles run

Wrist curls and straight bar curls are still causing some pain in my elbow from the biceps tendon tear, so I'm easing into these and nowhere near the weight I normally lift. Regardless, I am pleased that my arm is healing up so well.

10. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Workout of the Day
    CrossFit Games Open Workout 14.5

21-18-15-12-9-6-3 reps for time of:
    95-lb. thrusters (I did 75 lb)
    Bar-facing Burpees

Time 24:51

This was a tough workout. TO give perspective gain, our top athlete completed this in 11:47 using 95 lbs. As my right shoulder is still somewhat weak due to atrophy from lack of use while my bicep healed, I am trying to be a little smarter than usual and using lighter weights until all pain is gone. 51 years and I am finally getting smarter. This workout sucked the energy out of everyone, and people were lying exhausted on the floor for a while after the WOD to recover. I have a great sense of accomplishment as I finished and I know my times will improve as I continue to train and heal.

11. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Workout of the Day
    5x for Reps:
    1:00 Power Clean 115 lbs
    1:00 DB Strict Press 35 lbw
    1:00 Rest

Wow, I am drained after this workout. I took my 1 month measurements after keeping up with a diet and workout program for the last month, and while I've only dropped 4 pounds, I've lost and inch and a half off of my waste and my photos are showing more muscle tone. I'll post photos once I've gotten more improvement as I'm still a fat ass, Still, the caloric deficit is working even though it's making my workouts somewhat draining.

12. kree-kree

I'm still a fat ass too...at least you have your arm as an excuse. I got NOTHING.:blank:

13. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Puh-lease, you are rocking your diet and workouts. :nono:

14. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

4-7-14
    For Time:
    21-15-9
    Squat Clean 95 lbs
    Chest-to-bar Pull-ups (subbed jump chest to bar pullups)
    Time : 12:16

4-8-14
    4″ Deficit Deadlift
    15min to work up to one heavy set of 5 reps
    225 lbs

then

Three Rounds for Total Reps & Rounds:
    3min AMRAP: 10 Push Press 95 lbs 10 Box Jumps 24″
    1min Rest

Result : 6 full rounds plus 10 push presses.

Both of these workouts were major cardio challenges, and I can tell that my engine isn't running as efficiently as it should be. I need to get off of my lazy butt and get more running/biking time in. I was apprehensive with yesterday's deadlifts since I had never done these deficit style, and kept my weights to a reasonable level. Making sure my body can cash the checks my ego writes. :rolleyes:

15. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

I've been slacking on posting but now it's time to get back into full fledged dedication and accountability. Things have been weird at home, and my wife finally told me she wants a divorce and is in the process of moving out. She got an apartment this weekend, and is getting it set up and then will come back periodically to hep me get our house sold. I went through a period of self pity, and now I am moving on. I have another 50 years in me, and I am going to make this the best 50 years yet, which requires ensuring that my body is in tip top shape to hold up that long. Onwards and upwards.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Kevin, I'm very sorry to read about your situation.

17. kree-kree

Thinking of you.

18. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

What are bar facing burpees

19. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

Well shit. Obviously I was catching up and then saw your most recent post. I'm sorry to hear and I wish you the most happiness ahead. Smart, fit, of means, you have a very big window ahead of you in which to operate. Start at 38 and run to 55 before you sign any new deals. :madpimp:

20. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Thanks Kree and Paul. I am finding out how many true friends I have as I go through this.
    It's where you face the bar, jump over do a burpee, jump back over..... But geeze, can't you see I might be hurting and not wanting to talk about lifting you heartless bastard.
    LOL, couldn't resist Paddy, seemed like something you would say to me. Thanks for the advice, I will keep these parameters in mind. I just looked at some lofts with my daughter in a very social area of downtown Denver. My daughter said "yeah I can totally see why you would want to live here."