1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Lifting weights alone?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Lindset, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Lindset

Lindset Well-Known Member

Does that work well? How about if you want to train Max-OT? I'm a newbie to weightlifting, so bear with me and my ignorance to the subject :) Does it depend a lot on your equipment?

2. HobbesAB

HobbesAB Well-Known Member

If you workout alone, then you need to be careful and leave your ego at the door. Equipment is everything when working out by yourself. Get a Power Rack so you can lift heavy and you should be fine. If you're not using one, then go heavy with dumb bells and be careful with the barbell. You don't want to find yourself pinned under a bar with a heavy load of plates.

3. NME

NME Well-Known Member

I work out alone almost exclusively. I am also without a power rack (still), so to say that it is possible to work out alone and still be safe is an accurate statement as far as I'm concerned.

Just be smart. Don't let your ego get the best of you and try to lift too much (particularly when squatting or benching). There are also other ways to lift that can help prevent serious injury (using dumbbells whenever appropriate, squatting to a bench, etc.).

And Max-OT is not a problem for solo trainers, either. Again, you just have to be smart. You may not be able to go until the bar would lay on your chest (while benching, for example) but you'll certainly be able to work hard enough to know when you are at failure and when not to attempt another rep.

And above all else, if you get in a precarious situation and the bar is stuck on you (or something along those lines), just don't panic. You can usually slide the bar onto your abdominal muscles which provide enough support to allow you to sit up and lift/push the bar off of you. If you get stuck whil squatting, again, don't panic. Take a knee as carefully as possible and try to unload the weight as carefully as possible. If you damage a plate, it happens; it's better than hurting yourself (and you liekly won't damage a plate anyhow if you're that close to the ground).

4. haven97

haven97 Well-Known Member

I used to lift for 2 years at a gym but now I lift at home alone. This really scares the F$$$ out of me but I know my limits since I have some experience. I do feel like I could make bigger gains if I had a spotter again! I am hoping to get a power rack by the summer time.

Using db's is mos def a good idea for a beg

5. Glamdring

Glamdring Well-Known Member

Yup, I'm about to become a solo lifter myself. I hate it because I really enjoy having a workout partner. Not only is it nice to have a continual spotter who you're used to and know you can trust, but the motivation factor is also a definite plus.

6. Lindset

Lindset Well-Known Member

Me and a friend of mine are teaming up in February, so I won't be lifting alone in the beginning... but eventually, I will move away from this place.. It's my last year at the school I'm attending, so after the summer I will either enter the military (obligatory service) or continue studying at another school (probably computer science or something similar)... sorry for derailing... what I was trying to say was.. uh.. that I'm probably going to be lifting alone at some point in my life :p

Ok.. time to actually ask something of relevance... what's a Power Rack? What's special about them? And does most gyms have them?

:)

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to say thanks for the replies :)

7. HobbesAB

HobbesAB Well-Known Member

This is a Power Rack

It has safety pins (lowest set) to prevent the bar from pinning you whether your doing bench presses, squats, or whatever. You rack the weight using the other pair of pins.

8. Glamdring

Glamdring Well-Known Member

I love power racks. It's so funny how rarely they get used in my gym too. It's a high dollar family fitness place that a bunch of rich people go to who are more concerned with looking good than working out properly. (I'm not rich.. I get a corporate discount through my employer :P)

It's great for me though. The best part of the gym goes virtually untouched, while the bathroom mirrors get quite a workout. heh

9. map200uk

map200uk Well-Known Member

lol Glamdring, that so sounds like the gym i go to!:)

I only go there as its close to college so i can walk to it:)

Mark