1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Lifting Split - how long to stay with one before starting new exercises?

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by asterisk_this, Jan 30, 2008.

1. asterisk_this

asterisk_this Active Member

Hi everyone :D
    This place is fantastic! There are extremely knowledgeable people on here and I really enjoy all of the information that I have found thus far.

Just recently I started weight lifting split and I was wondering how long I should train with one set of exercises before re-working my split and building new muscles. I lift three days a week currently and would like to continue the three day system.

Thanks in advance!

2. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome to JSF! :) To be honest, I'm not sure what you're asking, here. Do you want to know when to change exercises?

You should never neglect any important muscle group when putting together a program (those being back, chest, legs, to some extent shoulders esp. when it comes to preventing rotator cuff trouble).

Regarding "building new muscle": If you're new to training you'll be able to build muscle and lose fat at the same time, provided your diet is in order and your training program is solid. Start with reading the stickies at the top of the beginner forum; those provide all the information you need to get started.

If you have questions, you might want to post them in the beginner's section since this part of the forum isn't frequented that much. :)

3. docutech

docutech Active Member

You should pick a routine and stick with it for 6-8 weeks. Change it up after that.

4. PlainGreyT

PlainGreyT Active Member

I asked this question a while back and the reply I recieved was basically keep at it until the gains dry up.

By all means refine and improve upon your current workout but beware change merely for the sake of change

In any case it should be many weeks before plateauing will come an issue considering that you've just started