1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Life in Balance: Christy's Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by J_W, Jun 29, 2007.

1. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

:( Heal fast.

2. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

I was 5 km from home and alone. The whole trip was 50 km so I was lucky that it happened where it did. I was able to ride my bike home actually. Then I called an ambulance and was taken to the ER. The first thing I said when I saw the x-rays was "Shit!" and the doctor went, "You've got that right." :lol:

No, not at all really. All in all the pain hasn't been too bad. It hurt a lot right after I woke up after the operation but they gave me oodles of painkillers and I've been fine since.

LOL, yeah. That was one of the first things I asked the doc. He said weight training for my lower body is fine. Obviously squats and stuff are out for the time being but I'm planning on using the leg press and other machines just to keep my strength up. I can also use the recumbent bike.

Thanks kree. All the while I was in the hospital I was thinking that I didn't want you guys to worry but I couldn't log on to let you know what happened. :(

Thanks Michael. I'm going to have to start a journal titled "Christy's rehab journal" :D.

3. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

:nod:

4. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

I knew it wasn't like you to not at least blog your daily exercise... Man so sorry to hear about your accident, you are doing so well staying positive. When is your planned bike trip, will your healing interfere with that? Getting straight back on the bike to come the last 5km home probably helped with any fear you have/had about cycling again... I wish you a very speedy recovery, Christy.

5. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

:eek: damn! i was hoping you were on some romantic bender with a superhot islander with giant quads.

hope you heal quickly. i dove off a stage when i was four and broke my collarbone. i remember nothing being as painful as trying to sleep on that sucker. thank god you've got the loopy pills!!!

anyways .... i'll be sending some serious HEALING thoughts your way. :)

6. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

Arrgghh! Sorry to hear about the accident!:eek:
    Sounds like you've got a cool doctor, though. Heal quickly!

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Damn, that sucks Christy. Heal fast and fully.

Four years ago I broke my ankle and once I was cleared to drive I would go to the gym, crutches and all, to do some upper body work. Sort of the opposite of what you're going to be doing. Once you start that your cardio bunny "friends" will really have something to talk about. :)

8. Naturegirl

Naturegirl Well-Known Member

Ack, accidents like that are scary, when you're going down you're wondering how bad it's gonna be :scared:

Glad to hear it was just your clavicle - which still sucks I know :( I didnt know they have to use bolts for that area but I guess it makes sense since they cant put a cast on it.

Hope it heals quickly.

9. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Thanks for the well wishes everyone :). The bike trip with my dad will most likely have to be postponed but we're still planning to do it. I'm not afraid of getting back on a bike and I think that's because of what Jedi said.

:D I cannot wait to see their faces. I want to be the one they think of when they can't bring themselves to go to the gym in the morning because it's early or raining or whatever.

Normally they don't ,but the bone was totally disjointed and it wouldn't have grown back together properly otherwise. I'll try and get copies of the x-rays because I'd like to see what exactly they did for myself.

10. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Check out my leg workout with the machines I did with my buddy. I have really BAD DOMS. Like I can't go down the stairs without saying ouch (step) , ouch (step) , ouch (step) etc....Hurts in a good way thou.

I would LOVE to see your x-rays. When you fell did you flip over your handle bars? Did you have a helmet on?

Your spirit seems great. Hang in there!!!

11. kree-kree

and beautiful biceps, perfect chest and a tight butt and abs of steel , a beautiful tan and a personality that had you at HELLO :lol:
    That would of been good gossip:lol:

Instead Christy had to fall off her bike:cry: (where you at least looking a beautiful guy???:lol:)

12. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

I took a look and it seems like something I could do, minus the hack squats. Thank you!! :) I don't know about leg curls either because I can't put any pressure on my clavicle but the standing ham-glute pushbacks ought to work.

Ya know, I'm not going to speak ill of machines ever again. Free weights are great if you're injury free but I wouldn't know what to do if I had no access to machines right now.

I must have rotated around my own axis because I hit my right knee first and then landed on my left shoulder. I didn't go over the handle bars because my bike skidded out from under me. I never ride without a helmet.

It helps to have my sister around and taking care of me (the perks of having a nurse in the family! :D) but I am actually surprised by how good my outlook on things has been. Things could have been a lot worse and I view it as a battle wound. :cool: I hope I'll at least have some scarring to show for this.

:lol: Sadly, no.

My sister says that being in such good shape is the reason I'm recovering so quickly and that the muscle mass in my shoulders likely helped stabilize everything, prevented more serious injuries and will help me bounce back quickly. The lesson? Weight training is good and everybody should do it. But then we already knew that.

On an unrelated note, my diet was fairly good while I was in the hospital. The food they serve doesn't even resemble anything remotely healthy (huge plates of spagetti for people who lie in bed all day? Seriously?) but I had my sister bring in fruits, veggies, jerky, nuts and hard boiled eggs. I ate what I felt would benefit me and supplemented with those additional foods. I drank 3-4 liters of water per day (the nurses kept commenting on this! :lol:). I think that keeping my regular eating habits up for the most part also helped me recover quickly from the operation.

13. kree-kree

Your sister is absolutly right! Thank God for weights!

I don't like to use the machines as much either but every now and then its something different and can give you a good workout (if you don't sit there talking on the cell phone while you exercise which happens a lot at our gym over by the machines...I really don't understand those people)

It amazes me as well what they will serve for people in the hospital. I think they figure people are depressed and comfort foods will make them feel better or at least stop complaining (or keep there longer...because they'll have a heart attack next). Where I use to work they would serve mounds of chocolate cake, pies, breads, fries, bacon, etc. Welcome to carb heavon!

14. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

When the cardio bunny gang asks what happened tell them that you tried to start a conversation with a guy while he was squatting and he finished his set and kicked your ass.

Get healed up! Your outlook is awesome!!

15. jchantelau

jchantelau Well-Known Member

Wow, sorry to read about your accident. Just checking out your journal...I hope you heal fast. I'll be following your rehab. Hang in there!

16. euan

euan Active Member

The quote in my signature reminds me of you, Christy. That you're willing to get back in the gym so soon and work despite all of this, is true strength! :)

Hope you recover fast!

17. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Thanks, you all :).

I'll be honest, my mood is starting to take a turn for the worse. The lack of exercise is starting to catch up with me. The past two days I've eaten too much (albeit mostly clean food) for my current activity level (which is non-existent), partly out of sheer boredom, partly because I have the tendency to eat when I feel miserable. That doesn't help at all though because it just makes me feel worse. Stupid emotional eating.

I had been hoping that my knee would recover quickly so that I could return to the gym soon but it's been a slow process. It's pretty bruised and stiff and painful still, not to mention covered in scabs :(. I'm gussing it'll be at least another week before I can start thinking about exercise again.

Exercise has been my way of coping with depression and not being able to exercise is horrible. :cry:

18. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:(

Aw, feel better soon. I can understand how frustrating that can be. Can you think of something new and unique you can do that will perk you up? Any books you've been dying to read? Crafts or cooking projects? I know they pale in comparison to exercise, but anything that gets your mind off recovery and inactivity is good.

A person burns more calories while recovering from an illness or injury so try not to worry too much about it.

19. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

:claplow:

20. jchantelau

jchantelau Well-Known Member

Hang in there!