1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Level of Intensity & Overtraining

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by autumngirl, May 29, 2015.

1. autumngirl

autumngirl Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

What are the guidelines to measure the "level of intensity" of workout routine/plan. Is it only through heart rate "zones" <60%, 60-80%, >80%?
    How often and long should recovery/rest be taken to avoid complications of "overtraining" symptoms/condition?

2. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Generally speaking, f you are doing cardio and you can sing a melody comfortably, you're in the <60% area. If you can't sing comfortably but can still talk in complete sentences (as if you were holding a conversation), you're in the 60-80% range. If you have trouble speaking a complete sentence, you are in the >80% zone. If you can't speak more than a few words, you are 90%+. Hope this helps.

3. autumngirl

Bronze Member

That is useful.
    How about gauging for weight training in terms of the level of intensity?
    Are there any guidelines for the recovery/rest be taken to avoid complications of "overtraining" symptoms/condition?

4. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Weight training is harder to gauge... usually I would say that if you can complete 8-10 reps, but can't complete 10-12 reps, you're in the right spot. But there is so much more to "intensity" when it comes to weight training... focus, strength, and endurance all come into play.

As far as overtraining... you'll know it when it happens.

5. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

6. autumngirl

Bronze Member

I use the 2x15x15 w/ 25 seconds (break between sets) and 60 minutes (break between exercises) but I cannot seem to be consistent. In other words, sometimes I can finish my set/reps, other times I find myself struggle w/ it. I use the equipments in the gym and sort of keep my weight the same, my goal is mainly to maintain, not necessarily gain more strength or weight. Does this sound normal?

Over-training, I do not know, sometimes I just cannot continue my workout anymore, sometimes I drop in tears while at it then stop for a week or two, then there was this time when I just broke down in tears then stopped for a month or two. Is this normal?