1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

lets talk morning cereal

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by citrixmeta, Mar 6, 2005.

1. citrixmeta

citrixmeta Well-Known Member

ive been eating some of the following through out the day and in the mornings.

special K
    cheerios
    kashi go lean
    corn flakes
    all bran

i have them once or maybe 2 times a day, 1 bowl mixed with my protein shake.

anybody see anything wrong with those cereals? are they recommended when cutting? what do YOU eat for cereal.

thank you. :tucool:

2. Apolon

Apolon Well-Known Member

Kashi Go Lean here. Taste good. Loaded with good stuff.

3. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

Plain old Quaker Old Fashioned oatmeal or McCann's steel cut on occasion

#3 Hort, Mar 6, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  4. tomination

tomination Well-Known Member

Kashi Go Lean
    KAshi Go Lean Crunch
    Flax Plus

5. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I mix Kashi Go Lean in with a Yoplait yogurt.
    A nice 20g protien kicker to start the day.

6. Nando

Nando Well-Known Member

I usually use something low fat with little sugar with slices of banana.
    Sometimes Quaker Oatmeal with Splenda.

Nando

7. supaspic

supaspic Well-Known Member

I personally just eat my Go Lean dry...i am usually on the go so i just bag it and go.

Supa

8. citrixmeta

citrixmeta Well-Known Member

thanks for posting everyone.

i guess the real question i had was.. do you anything wrong with eating the following.

special K
    cheerios
    corn flakes
    all bran

9. Human Clay

Human Clay Well-Known Member

40g Kashi Go Lean, 1/2 ounce dried cranberries, 1 cup skim milk.

10. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Personally I tend to stay away from cereal and just eat my porridge mixed with a bit of splenda and raisins :tucool:

The ones you mentioned, cornflakes and cheerios are pretty high Gi
    The other two are ok, AllBran the best of the two.

But Id say if its working for you stick with it. Alot of people would reccomend you steer clear of cereal, having said that your transformation is amazing, so you obviously know what you are doing and what your body can handle.

Be your own guinea pig, test which works and which doesn't would be my view on the cereals.

11. Savyart

Savyart Well-Known Member

Sodium! I found out Cornflakes are like sucking on a salt-shaker! Check the sodium on all of them (not sure about the others)....

I love cereal *sigh* But I only eat it rarely (cheat-meal). I'm a Cocoa Krispies girl myself :D

12. BamaDave

BamaDave Well-Known Member

Citrixmeta,

They certainly don't appear to be impeding your amazing progress! So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I believe Corn Flakes and Special K are mostly processed refined carbs, so those cereals would not be as ideal as eating something whole grain like oatmeal or an unsweetended whole grain cereal.

All Bran is probably very good - I believe srictly high fiber, whole grain stuff.

Cheerios are whole grain oats, but I have seen it mentioned that they have a high glycemic index. So even though whole grain, their processing may make them behave more like a refined carb during digestion.

The Kashi cereals have a lot of good stuff in them, but they are also loaded with sugar. As much sugar as most trashy kids' cereals. But of course the fiber, protein, etc. are good for you - so overall not a bad choice. I wish they would produce some of these things without going nutso with the sweeteners.

But again, your weightloss has been phenomenal, so I wouldn't worry about it. I would just keep the sugars and refined carb intake moderated, and having some corn flakes isn't going to detsroy your diet.

13. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I agree with BamaDave. Even though those cereals are not all the BEST health-wise, if you enjoy them, then I say eat them.

I really LIKE cereal, so I eat it, but usually as a snack food, not a breakfast. My favorite recent ones are All Bran Bites Strawberry, and Frosted Mini Wheats, both of which are equivalent nutritionally, and both of which have too much sugar to be considered health food. ;)

Since you're asking about the cereal, it leads me to believe you'd like to possibly change to a healthier breakfast, so I recommend a bowl of oatmeal instead. Sweeten it by adding fresh, canned, or dried fruit instead of sugar. It's a whole lot cheaper and I always find it keeps me full longer than cold cereal. Another thing I really enjoy for breakfast is a mix of wild and brown rices, cooked in apple or orange juice with roasted soy beans and dried cherries, or barley, boiled and mixed with frozen berries.

Special K and Corn Flakes have less fiber and protein than some other cereals. I don't eat them because I'm always ravenously hungry an hour later. Cheerios, Kashi, and All Bran are pretty good choices. Other good ones are Vector and Special K Soy.

14. bisous

bisous Well-Known Member

My favorite cereal is cinnamon life, or cracklin' oat bran - sounds healthy but I think it was loaded with trans fats. Haven't had either in years. Recently I bought some Envirokidz Gorilla Crunch for cheat days, or those weekend breakfasts with egg white omelets and a carb on the side.

Most days I mix up oatmeal, protein powder, and fiber one - sometimes some fruit too, such as blueberries, raspberries, dark cherries, or strawberries.

15. gowgow

gowgow Well-Known Member

Kashi -Go Lean
    Kashi - Go Lean Crunch
    Nature's Path Organic Optimum Power Breakfast (good stuff, 8g protein, 10g fiber)

I found the ingredients for it: "Organic Whole Wheat Bran, Organic Whole Wheat Meal, Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Organic Soy Flour, Organic Puffed Kamut, Organic Flaxseeds, Organic Barley Malt Extract, Organic Soy Fiber, Organic Oat Bran, Organic Freeze-Dried Blueberries, Sea Salt, Organic Cinnamon, Calcium Carbonate, Folic Acid, Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B-12), Tocopherols (Natural Vitamin E - to enhance freshness), May Contain: Traces of Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Soy"

Like Kashi, it has some suger, but it's darn tasty.

16. bisous

bisous Well-Known Member

I love the ingredients list of my gorilla munch cereal:

corn meal, evaporated cane juice, sea salt (no gorillas)

17. aaaaaa1

aaaaaa1 Well-Known Member

May Ii add to this list:
    Weetbix

18. hubladon

hubladon Well-Known Member

I have All-Bran with a berry flavoured whey shake and a handful of raisins. Works pretty well for me.

19. slowpoke

slowpoke Well-Known Member

Fiber One...

but I "regularly" don't eat it as breakfast. I add it to mid-morning cottage cheese or to a salad with lunch or dinner.

20. BamaDave

BamaDave Well-Known Member

That Cracklin' Oat Bran is lethally delicious. It tastes like oatmeal cookies. But, yes, trans-fats and very high in calories. I wish they would make a version with a healthy fat and Splenda. The good thing about mandatory trans-fat labeling is that a lot of poisonous junk food is going to get at least a little bit healthier as the manufacturers get rid of the partially hydrogenated oils.