1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Let's see your home workout space!

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by d2mini, May 27, 2007.

1. d2mini

d2mini Well-Known Member

(I searched and could not find another thread like this, but if it exists please point me to it and delete this one.)

So let's see your home gym!
    John Stone has some good pics of his old and new space. That's the kind of pics I'm talking about. We're doing some minor remodeling and painting our tiny little workout room today but I will post pics when it's done. But meanwhile I'd love to see what you've done with your space. I've seen random pics throught the forums but I think it would be good to have one thread as a resource to give others ideas for what they can do in their own home. General info and specs on your equipment and room size would be helpful, too. Doesn't matter whether you have an entire refinished basement, a corner of your living room, or just a bench on your front porch... post some pics! :tu:

2. tsg2513

tsg2513 Well-Known Member

Here is what I have fit into my 11.5 x 11 workout room:

1) Inspire M3 Home Gym
    2) Lamar Smith/Functional Trainer Combo
    3) Hoist F.I.D. Bench
    4) Powertec Compact Leg Sled

Attached Files:

3. d2mini

d2mini Well-Known Member

Awesome pics!
    I like the mirrors too. I was just looking at some longer ones at Lowe's yesterday. And then Ikea has some square ones you can put together like tiles. I'm not sure what I want to do yet.
    Is that just a low profile carpet?

4. tsg2513

Yes, the carpet is Berber and has held up pretty well.

5. jaydfwtx

jaydfwtx Well-Known Member

How do you like that leg sled? Nice setup!

6. tsg2513

I'm very happy with it. It is much smoother than I expected. The only negative point I could make is that while it is rated for 1000 lbs., it will only hold about 600 lbs (using six 50 lb plated per side). Since I use a full range of motion and at 44 years old, I'm more concerend with development than strength, it isn't really a problem for me.

7. Mark the Srhink

Mark the Srhink Active Member

I like your set up. I'm setting a gym for myself. I have an elliptical and now am working on a resistence set. What do you use the M3 for and what do you use the Lamar for. If you only had one which would you prefer to have. I have limited space (as we all do) and would appreciate your thoughts.

8. RDR

RDR Well-Known Member

Ah....you've started this thread too soon
    I've got about 10 days of work in front of me before I unveil my new and improved work out space....I've increased it to about 18 x 34'

I still have about 150 sq. ft of VCT left to lay and some suspended ceiling to do, but unfortunatley I've run out of vacation

.....I will post pictures eveuntually

also - nice Powertec Sled tsg2513 - I seriously considered buying one before I settled on my New York Barbells Sled
    I don't necessarily regret my decision - but I finally got a chance to try the Powertec last fall - it sure is smooooooth

#8 RDR, May 28, 2007
    Last edited: May 28, 2007
  9. tsg2513

If I only could have one, it think it would be the M3. There is surely some duplication of movements but I like the variety. However, there are some movements that are specific to the M3 such as:
    - Chest-supported Mid-Row
    - Leg Extensions
    - Seated Leg Curls
    - Ab Crunch

I do find that having the ability to perform similar movements on different machines keeps me more motivated and prevents boredom.

10. d2mini

d2mini Well-Known Member

haha, yeah well same here. After painting the walls I decided to remove all the trim and I'm replacing that now. Then that will have to be painted before i can move everything in. A 3-day weekend is definitely not enough. :nope:

11. Rabid

Rabid Active Member

Here's my current setup. It's not much, but I can get quite a bit done.

Gold's Gym Bench with Lat Tower
    Pro Fitness Double Adjustable Bench
    Iron Strength Smith Machine
    310# Olympic Weights + bar
    270# Standard Weights + bar
    Standard EZ Curl Bar
    Standard Adjustable Dumbbell x 4
    El-Cheapo Wal-Mart Recumbent Bike (not pictured)

I bought the Smith Machine back in early '05 without seeing it out of box (it was a liquidation sale) for $69. I used it a bit the first few months, but I really didn't like the way my shoulders felt while using it. I bought the Gold's Gym Bench w/ Lat Tower late last summer and I haven't done a single bench on the Smith since. I need to sell it, but I've been using it for my leg extensions and leg curls.

I just bought the Pro Fitness Bench off Craigslist a week or so ago. It's a great, solid bench. I can't wait to get a rack and give it a real workout. :lol:

I've got almost all of an unfinished basement to do what I want with, but I'll probably leave my home gym area to about 15x25. My next purchase will be a power rack in the next few weeks. My wife really likes the idea of the power rack since she's always worried I'm going to drop my bench press when she's gone. I guess I'll make do to give her peace of mind. ;) :lol:

I'm going to sell both the Gold's Gym and Smith Bench around that time and then plan on getting a lat machine and some sort of leg press/sled at the end of summer.

Attached Files:

12. Hockey4

Hockey4 Active Member

Nice looking setups. I really need to add some pieces to my home set. I'm quite jealous!

13. pivotalrex

pivotalrex Active Member

Here's the beginning stages of my new set up
    still have to get some mats

Attached Files:

14. d2mini

d2mini Well-Known Member

Rabid, all that concrete is HARDCORE!
    Now I feel like a pu$$y talking about molding and paint. :D

Pivotalrex, that's a nice amount of space. Way more than what i have! We don't have basements here in Houston.

15. Lo7us

Lo7us Active Member

How is that HOIST bench you got there ? I have the powertec , not so happy with it . I heard the HOIST is a better bech , can you confirm this ?

Also what is your height ? I am asking because at 6.1 ( like me ) the leg sled is not so good .

Thanks

16. tsg2513

There is no comparison between the Hoist Bench and the Powertec. I used to own a Powertec Leverage Gym which uses the same bench design as their utility bench. I'm not saying that the Powertec isn't a decent bench but it cannot compare with the quality of the Hoist Bench.

As far as my height, I'm 5'9". I think the Compact Leg Sled will be fine for your height for leg presses but may be an issue for calf raises because the calf block will raise your feet 3" off the leg press platform plus the additional height needed for a full contraction of the calves.

17. Lo7us

Lo7us Active Member

Thanks for the reply . SO Hoist is IN , The Leg Sled is OUT .

1 more question :

- How is the stability ( i saw that has only 3 legs ) ? If you go over 100 Kg is still OK ? do you have the accessories for the bench ?

Thanks

18. tsg2513

Stability has not been an issue at all, the bench is rock-solid. I do have both the Preacher Curl and Leg attachments. The Preacher Curl is very good, the Leg Extension is excellent but the Leg Curl has a bit of "drop-off" or loss of resistance in the fully contracted position. I've been able to counteract this with the use of a resistance band.

19. Lo7us

Lo7us Active Member

OK. I will exchange my Ptec bench with a Hoist model as soon as possible .

Thanks
    Bye

20. jesse1

jesse1 Well-Known Member

I would like to post pictures of my workout space, but don't know how to insert them in the post. Can someone please help.