1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Lemon in Water

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by george mavridis, May 9, 2011.

1. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

I read somewhere today to add a slice of lemon in your water.
    "It said it helps alkalise the blood and the more alkaline you are the less cortisol you make".

Thoughts/opinions?

2. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Not sure about the cortisol bit, but, I know some bodybuilders take a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in order to increase alkalinity.

Lemon juice does the same thing.

3. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Blood sugar spikes after high GI meals can prompt the body to produce cortisol and adrenalin which usually create increased appetites. I assume that is why people are concerned with cortisol production.

Lemon juice, as well as most citrus juices will help dull the blood sugar spikes. This in turn helps inhibit the production of those appetite inducing hormones. It is an interesting concept, really.

I use the lemon/lime in water when I am about to consume a meal I know is waaaay off my nutritional plan. It does seem to help with the blood sugar spike judging from the way my mood remains closer to level afterwards. I usually get a bit irritable when I have a meal like that otherwise.

Edit:
    On a side note, I have also read that 4-6 grams (1 or 2 teaspoons) of cinnamon before a meal can lower the GI of the meal significantly. I can't verify this myself, but it does taste alright in a cup of coffee... I usually do this before my second lunch.

#3 FatLenny, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
  4. george mavridis

I've been told the same thing about the apple cider vinegar.

5. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I drink lemon juice in water every day. It's in my plan and i was told it tightens the skin and removes teh "grease."

6. JoeSchmo

I've actually been taking a little bit of this after assessing my diet. It tends to lean toward the acidic side, so I'm trying to remedy that. I suspect adding lemon juice would be a good alternative too.

7. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

To get the full benefit of the apple cider vinegar you should use the raw unfiltered type. The primary brand in our area is one called "Bragg". They make a number of different organic products.

8. george mavridis

That's the one I have sitting in my pantry right now, it contains the "Mother" which I am told makes it better than not having it.

9. huxald

huxald Well-Known Member

I was under the impression "alkaline" means to make more basic/increase pH. Lemon juice, and other acids are...well...acidic...so adding lemon juice does the opposite. If you want to alkalies, then you need to add sodium bicarb.

Mind you, your body (lungs, kidneys) control you pH very closely. Don't want all your proteins to mis-behave.

Lemon juice in water is pretty good though, just need to worry about the acid affecting your teeth.

10. JoeSchmo

Yes, they are acidic, but their metabolic byproducts (or ash) are alkaline.

11. RyanTheOne11

RyanTheOne11 Member

I think adding lemon to your water is great for many purposes. Lemons have been said to be good for the bones, skin radiance, digestion, and fighting cancer; plus they have a great amount of vitamin C and potassium and is antioxidant-rich food.

12. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

actually, while lemons and other citrus fruits are acidic in nature they produce an alkaline effect in the body :nod::tucool:

13. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

When I was in alcohol rehab 28 years ago, a holistic girl who was treating me told me to use lemon juice in warm water. Lemon juice contains the phytochemical d-limonene. This compound acts as a liver detoxifier, aids digestion, and helps the liver produce more bile.

I like using fresh lemon juice in water in the mornings, when our bodies are in a natural cleansing phase. Fresh lime juice will also work well.

Use warm or hot water...Not cold water. Warm water will not create vasoconstriction, but will initiate vasodilation which increases metabolism.

Good deal if you want to burn fat and be healthier.