1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Legs. God help me. Am I defective? (noob)

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by benca1, May 5, 2004.

1. benca1

benca1 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I don't work my legs. I did. But I can't anymore. Now, I'm wondering what might be wrong...

First of all, I'm naturally muscular and gain easily. I've always had good quads and calves.. if nada in the hamstring department. I'm trying to lose weight (5'10" 207 lbs) and gain at the same time.

The problem is that when I work my legs, I'm physically devastated the next day. Even just a mellow 2 or 3 semi-intense sets at the squat rack makes it nearly impossible to do any cardio a day later.

Additionally I love hiking and before I knock up my wife late this summer, I'm finally hitting a few high-sierra trails. This is high altitude and low oxygen stuff requiring me to be in good aerobic shape. Every Saturday I've been doing a 6 to 12 mile hike with several thousand feet of elevation gain and loss.

Take that, cardio, and leg workout, and you can see my dilemma.

I have to give up something and since my legs are already muscular (proportional to my upper body or better) I'm focusing on my bulbous belly and hiking condition.

Is that sound?

Is it normal to have a small leg workout destroy your ability to do cardio for the next 48 hours? If your quads are sore (very sore), do you still do it? Even those hikes will wipe me out until Monday.

Thanks much for your input.

I simply cannot fathom doing HIIT work and 24 hours later doing a leg workout.

2. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Well-Known Member

I've never heard of even a small leg workout doing that much damage -- except in newbies. Have you ever trained legs regularly (for at least a few months), or is this a pattern of one leg workout every 2-3 weeks? Because I can see how you'd be constantly sore if you're not working out legs consistently.

Anyway, I think it's a good call to skip the leg training if you're looking to cut weight and get into shape for your hiking trips, especially if your legs are good-sized already.

Alternatively, there's no rule that says HIIT is the only cardio solution out there. Many people go for 45 minutes at 65-75% of MHR (usually a moderate walk on an inclined treadmill). It's much less demanding and just as effective for fat burning as HIIT. Then you could keep your leg workout, and focus it primarily on hamstrings (if you want). Skip the squats and just do SLDLs, lunges and leg extensions, and maybe leg curls.

:gl:

3. Danny Noonan

Also, here is a link to a good post about soreness in another thread. akm3 sums it up much more succinctly than I did. :D

4. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

This made me laugh.

So you can get your cardio in "knocking" up your wife!

As for your legs, if you have not been weight training your legs on a regular basis, you will be sore for the first couple workouts, and anytime you skip working your legs at least once a week. I would say that it would be very weird for you to be sore after a small workout if you have been consistently doing them.

5. benca1

benca1 Well-Known Member

Excellent points. I really like deadlifting, no reason I can see to not do that.

6. benca1

benca1 Well-Known Member

Well... the first obstacle will be informing my wife of what it will actually take to get her pregnant. The cardio will be inevitable as I chase her around the place and then hold her down. If you saw me without a shirt on, you would understand. :d_eek:

7. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

Wahoo I've finally been referenced! That's like getting published, only less prestigious :)

-Allen

8. Banditfist

Deadlifts and SLDL (Straight-legged) are two totally different exercises aimed at hitting different muscle groups.

9. angel_b

angel_b Well-Known Member

:lol:

10. benca1

benca1 Well-Known Member

I am all ears! (or eyes, whatever..)

11. Zan

Zan Well-Known Member

Here you go!

Straight-Leg Deadlift

And

Deadlift

Let me just say this. I recently took a couple of weeks off working my legs due to an injury. In that time I revamped my leg workout and decided to include Straight-Leg Deadlifts. Oh. My. God! I feel like a cripple today (and my leg workout was Tuesday). I was always hesitant to get started on Deadlifts, but I'm sold now. I'll be incorporating them on my back workout now as well. :tu:

12. benca1

benca1 Well-Known Member

Ah ha! Good, I've always only done the Straight Leg version.

Yeah, it's a terriffic movement. Makes you sleep like a baby too. It just taxes your entire backside. Good stuff.

Thanks!

13. Danny Noonan

Love the DLs (both kinds). I've been doing bent-leggeds since about January. I just switched back to SLDLs this cycle, and I can't believe how much stronger my hams and lower back are.

DLs rule! :spaz:

14. Banditfist

Guys,
    SLDL - hamstrings
    Deads - lower back

I am not sure why you would switch one from the other. The only similar thing about them is in name only. On leg day, I do straight-legged. On lower back day, I do deadlifts. I would never hit deadlifts on leg day.

15. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Heavy deadlifts most certainly work the legs. If you're doing them using the low back only and not hitting the glutes, hammies, and quads, there's something wrong.

The only way I know of performing a deadlift without using the legs much is to round the lumbar spine and pull the weight up through a sort of hyperextention of the back. This is terrible on the spine.

16. Danny Noonan

Because doing both in the same cycle is too much for my lower back to handle, especially since I'm always squatting.

17. Danny Noonan

Yep. :nod:

18. Zerebus

Zerebus Well-Known Member

Heh heh ha ha ha ha...
    ahem.

That was me about three months ago. In a way, it's still me now. I schedule my rest day to immediately follow my leg workout day, because I can't hardly walk while recovering from those exercises... assuming I did them all right.

19. Banditfist

14 years of lifting, and I have never seen anyone using them for building legs. Yeah the legs are used, but I just don't get the feeling that I stressed them like the lower back. I have had a partner for 6 years that watched my form.