1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Legs did I over do it

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by tkane, Jan 30, 2004.

1. tkane

tkane Well-Known Member

A question did my first leg workout on Wednesday night did squats, leg ext, leg press, and lunges. Light weights good form trying not to over do it as this is week one for me. Thursday was cardio day for me I run on the treadmill, had a very difficult time running as my legs are KILLING ME! Still very sore today, I know that i'm not injured but is it possible I over did it. I did chest, bi, and tri's on Monday was stiff but not like this.

For the record I did manage to do 30 minutes on the treadmill after about 5 minutes my legs weren't sore anymore.

Also hopped on the scale went from 193 to 190 in week one, looks like i'm doing things right...

#1 tkane, Jan 30, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2004
  2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

The first time I did a full leg workout I was sore for 10 days. Just make sure you don't weight train your legs again until they are fully recovered and you'll be fine. You'll also find that the amount of time you are sore will decrease drastically as you get in better shape.

3. Mahdimael

Mahdimael Well-Known Member

Yep, me too. I did a leg workout last week for the first time in a while and it took a week to get back to normal. I did it again (same workout), and I feel fine today

4. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

If you ever miss two weeks of working out, you can expect the same kind of soreness with your legs. That alone is motivation for me to hit my legs at least once a week. I really hate walking down the halls at work looking like a cripple.

If you stay with it, the soreness won't be nearly as bad as next time. It does get better.

5. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Yep, the reason you were so sore was because it was your first time doing a lower body workout, your muscles were probably worked for the first time in such a while!

It's a good sore though i'll bet, so you should be fine :tu:

6. Trinity

Trinity Well-Known Member

I'm sore too!

I did my first leg workout in years on Thursday, and I am incredibly sore also! Even when I try to sit down, I have to hold onto something and lower myself slowly. I've been taking ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation and decided to take today off. I don't mind muscle soreness, but I am concerned that my knees couldn't handle the barbell squats. The outsides of my knees are really sore right now--I hope I haven't done any damage.

Is walking for 5 minutes a good way to warm-up, followed by stretching? Advice welcomed :D

7. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

I always like doing some low impact cardio for 10-15 minutes just to get warmed up. Walking or getting on the cycle is what I normally do.

I find that it does loosen up the knee ligaments. Also, on leg day I do stretch for about 5-10 minutes. If you were ever in the Army, I generally go through the normal Army stretching routine.

Having said all that I did pull my hamstring about 6 months ago even after stretching and doing 6 sets of squats. I went for my first set of lunges with my normal weight (135 lbs). Right leg was fine, but when I stepped off with my left leg, SNAP! At first I did not know what it was. I felt a warm feeling in my left hamstring. I racked the weight and began to wonder if I just pulled my hamstring. I started to walk around and that confirmed it for me. It took me about two weeks to be able to walk normal, but I didn't hit legs again for another month.

8. d_samuylin

d_samuylin Well-Known Member

Problem with leg workout

I guess I am in the same situation as evryone here. When I work out my legs I can't walk for the next 10 days. Since I am on cutting phase (I do more cardio then weights, because if I don't do cardio I will not lose anything). So I am not working on my legs. I do hit them hard though when I am running, or doing HIIT. I know that I should work on my legs but I have only 35 lbs more to lose. As soon as I am done I will go on bulking phase and then I will work out every body part. That was my solution to the problem.