1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Leg pain advice

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by Jon Skee, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Jon Skee

Jon Skee Well-Known Member

Right now im sure something out there just doesnt want me to progress..

I took a month off because my shoulder was hurting when lifting weights, its perfectly fine now and I done a full week really well, I was pleased with every part of it.

Now Ive come to the second week, today is legs day and while walking to get something to drink, down the stairs my shin hurts when i press down, only on my right shin and is doing it everytime I put pressure on it.:bang:

Now ive had a look around and what i can see its shin splints, but seems to be the muscle not a fracture.

What I want to know is should I just knock todays exercises on the head missing legs out for this week.

or can i do some?

Like miss out squats, and just do romanian deadlifts?

And from what I have read to prevent this happening again is to do exercises to strengthen that muscle would be best, Im not sure wether the muscle is small or not..but I can feel it when flexed, although size doesnt mean strength does it?

Anyone got any leg exercises that worked well for them to strengthen them?

2. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

Muscles that run down the shin are the dorsiflexers (pull foot up), and everters. This will account for your pain going down stairs, or walking down hill, as you need more effort to prevent yourfoot slapping down. The pain is noticed when you work them eccentrically.
    Did the injury occur on a leg workout?
    What is your recent cardio routine, any outdoor running?
    Do you have a large heel counter on your shoes?
    Answers to these will shine some light. For now though, the focus should be on reducing inflammation, and preventing further injury.
    Hope this helps.

3. Jon Skee

Jon Skee Well-Known Member

I got the pain today, I havent done any exercise since saturday which was Biceps/Triceps.

not sure on that shoe question but I have reebok classics which are near enough these:

[​IMG]

Yea I decided not to do any exercise, the pain is still there without trainers on

thanks for reply.

4. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

The reason I asked about the trainers was that a large heel has a lever effect on the foot, so when you strike with your heel it has a greater down force.
    Its possible you have a muscle tightness in your gastroc or soleus, which will lead to additional stress in the anterior compartment. Rest is the key for now, but no reason why you can't do non weight bearing exercises. Have a look at your flexability training, as in do you have one? Stretches for the calf muscles may help in prevention.
    Also for future leg training try to wear a shoe with a sole that keeps you as close to the ground as possible, so that your foot isn't in an unnatural position.
    For now though I'm glad you are resting it, get some ice on it and keep it elevated this evening.
    Hope it improves!