1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Left and Right side imbalance

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by I_Am_Here, Apr 2, 2006.

1. I_Am_Here

I_Am_Here Well-Known Member

Well latley I have noticed that my right side is considerably stronger than my left. My right lats, traps and back have developed quite a bit as opposed to the left side. I am beginnig to be able to feel it, its not painful, its just become noticble.

What Excersises should I use to work this imbalance out?
    I thought doing some extra sets of DB Bent over rows, and shrugs, would help until its balanced, but what can i do about my Lats?

The only equipment i have is a Bench with a squat rack.

Just ask if you want to know anything else.

2. oohchild

oohchild Well-Known Member

I think normal lats, trap and back exercises will do, but perhaps the form is incorrect, looking at the mirror helps, if you find your right hand shrugging or trying to compensate for the weakness of your left hand :nono: , stopped immediately as this will magnify the imbalance. Over time, the left hand should catch up if the form is proper, use equal weights for both left and right hand.

<Edited>

#2 oohchild, Apr 2, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  3. Jim G.

Jim G. Well-Known Member

Lateral dumbbell raises for lats??? :confused:

4. oohchild

oohchild Well-Known Member

Sorry.. :lol: wrong info, lat db raise is for deltoids. Perhaps try bent over barbell row. :p

5. Omaha

Omaha Well-Known Member

Find your absolute failure for your weaker side, then hold your self to that amount of work. Your weak side will catch up while your stronger side will slack off.

Lopsidedness is more common than anyone here probably thinks.

“Function determines structure”. Always has and always will.

If you find yourself over compensating with the left or right sides (Ergo driving out with your left or right hand on presses etc) you will imbalance yourself again. Once your form dies, either stop or decrease the weight until you can keep the weight in control. If not, then you are just moving heavy things, you aren't building muscle.

6. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Single arm assisted pull-ups.

Put your bar at the top of your rack. Set a loop of resistance band over the bar. Have it support a knee.

Don't worry if you have to bend your knees if the top of your squat rack is not that tall. You need to bend a knee for the assist.

If you don't need the assistance for the single arm pull up, then you can add resistance by using a dip belt. Of course, if you have that problem, you don't need my advice either.

If you have too much trouble rigging the pull up assist you can do single arm inverted rows with assist. In this case you rig the resistance band around your back as you would for adding resistance to your bench press. Except only your feet are on the bench.

7. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I don't think so. Mainly because some of the people here (like me) have coached monotype sports (fencing in my case) where the thinking is that unless you guard against it, EVERYONE will become monotype (lopsided). Unlike other sports, fencing has a tradition of training both sides equally. The tradition was based on the idea that if you were wounded in the good arm, you could transfer the blade to the other arm as opposed to being killed helplessly. So it was a tradition a lot of people took seriously.

Baseball, golf, racquet sports, and some field events (obviously shot put) are things that raise awareness. Maybe not to a life-and-death level of old tradition fencing, but it's really apparent. So I would agree that many people aren't aware of it, I would think a significant minority of people here have dealt with it a lot.

8. I_Am_Here

I_Am_Here Well-Known Member

How would you guys go about training the left side of ure upper backs?

Do an extra set of DB bent over rows. Can I do one sided DB shrugs?

9. Weight-Tress

Weight-Tress Well-Known Member

Neat info, thanks!

I always train my weaker side first, when I have more energy. I train each arm & leg seperate and then together. I have found this to help.

10. steven0325

steven0325 Well-Known Member

D.B's are great you can do almost anything with them.
    You can work every muscle group in the body.

Up Right Row - With D.B's

11. Jon Skee

Jon Skee Well-Known Member

I have a short trap on my left side, and my physio gave me a bunch of exercises to do and with them I was told to massage the muscle because its to tight and this should correct it.

Dont know if you would be in same situation.