1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Laura's Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by dino, Oct 4, 2007.

1. dino

dino Active Member

Well I thought I better keep myself accountable so here goes...
    My problem is my diet, any support or suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)

Height: Im 5"9

Goals:
    Weight: 125lb / 57kgs
    I would love to have lost this by the end of the year, however I will be stoked if I get even close.

How:
    Diet, Weights, Cardio.

I should probably say I am on a Vegan diet for personal reasons until the 3rd of November which im sure is going to make things rather challenging protein wise if I dont plan my meals carefully.

Measurements:

These photos were taken 2/10/07, Weight 150lb / 68kg
    (Oh and by the way the bruises are paintball :) )

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

#1 dino, Oct 4, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  2. dino

dino Active Member

Today:

Sleep: 7.5 hours

Diet:
    Water: 8 Glasses (I dont drink anything else other than water really, ever)

Breakfast - Rolled Oats with Rice Milk, 1 teaspoon raw sugar on top.

Snack - Mandarin

Lunch - 1 slice of wholegrain bread with peanut butter, Mocachino made with Rice Milk, fresh espresso and chocolate powder (Naughty!!)

Afternoon - 1 slice peanut butter, 1 slice jam (wholemeal/grain bread), banana

Evening - Mixed veges with chickpeas, satay sauce. 2 dried apricots, handful of cashews.

Excercise:

10.57km run from work to home. About 1 hour 10 mins.

3. archie

archie Active Member

Good job with starting the journal.
    I'm just starting out with all this myself, so you shouldnt really take my advice :p But just going by todays diet I think you need more vegetables in there somewhere.

Anyway I will be sure to follow your journal since you and me are kind of at a similar point... except you have better starting pics, and can already run 10kms :p (so really we are nothing alike.) :lol:

4. dino

dino Active Member

Hey thanks Archie!! Yes I definately agree with you about the veges, I have to admit we kinda ran out of food and I have been slack with planning my meals properly which makes things extremely hard for me.

I just found your journal and you are doing so well!! And your little man is just adorable, I have to admit im incredibly jealous im one of those people that have wanted kids forever but hubby says not for a few years!! (probably just as well i'm no where near enough resposible enough yet :P)

5. virtualadrian

virtualadrian Active Member

Welcome

So in November are you going to be able to eat meat and so on?

6. dino

dino Active Member

Today:

Sleep: 8 hours

Diet:
    Water: 6 Glasses

Breakfast - Rolled Oats with Water, 1 teaspoon raw sugar on top.

Snack - Mandarin

Lunch - Leftovers from last night, veges + chickpeas, fresh espresso and chocolate powder (Naughty!!)

Afternoon - espresso + choc powder (need to cut this out!! stll havent been to the supermarket so no real food)

Pre-gym: Large handful of cashews few dried apricots

Evening - Cup of veges plain. One low cal homemade choc muffin (vegan)

Excercise:

Gym-
    2 x 20 swissball squats holding 3kg dumbells in each hand and doing 3 x bicep curls at the bottom of each squat, pain!!
    3 x 12 reps standing shoulder press 6kgs each hand
    3 x 12 reps bench press 6kgs dumbells each hand
    3 x 12 reps incline bench chest row things? (bent arms) 6kgs each hand

2 x 12 reps assisted pull ups, assist @ 5 x 14kgs, 7 x 16kgs
    3 x 12 reps vertical row @21kgs (i think thats what its called, seat, knees bent, pull cable towards you while remaining upright, works back?)
    2 x 20 seated calf raises @ 20kgs
    1 x assisted dips @ 14kgs
    3 x 16 leg bend machine thing (lying on front legs bending up with weight bar behind ankles

I think thats it sorry for terrible descriptions

7. dino

dino Active Member

Yup. I think it will make things easier because I will be able to have chicken/tuna with veges for alot of meals.

8. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

HI :)

well... since you already said that you haven't gone shopping and you know your diet isn't right yet, I'm going to skip commenting on that... I am curious why your going vegan right now, but not later... personally I feel that some meat/animal products are very good for you and will help, so hopefully you'll be able to add egg whites/egg beaters, chicken and fish to your diet at the least... it will help with muscle growth... that said... let's help you with excercise names ;)

incline bench chest row things? (bent arms) ... ummm... I need more information here... are you moving your arms to the sides or straight up? if your going from the sides and then moving towards a middle point above your chest, they're called Fly's... if you are moving your hands from your shoulders stright up and then back down, this would be an incline bench press ;)

vertical row @21kgs (i think thats what its called, seat, knees bent, pull cable towards you while remaining upright, works back?), if you're pulling the bar down (which vertical implies) this would be called, very simply, a Pull Down... there is another cable machine where you sit w/ knees bent and pull a bar horizontally towards you, which also works your back, and this one is called a Cable Row... with both of these machines you want to pause at the point where the bar is closest to your chest and imagine trying to press your shoulderblades together... it helps to really pull your elbows back towards the middle of your back as much as possible ;)

leg bend machine thing (lying on front legs bending up with weight bar behind ankles this is called a Leg Curl ;) again.. pause at the top of the movement and hold it for a second before you lower, and try to lower slowly.. you might have to lower the weight some... maybe... try it at the weight you're using now first though and see if you can handle it without lowering it.... it'll hurt ;)

good luck :gl:

by the way... you have a GREAT base to work from, you don't need to lose much at all... just add some muscle and you'll be smokin in no time ;)

9. archie

archie Active Member

AH fair enough. Things tend to go downhill at the end of my fortnight as well. Wish we had the money to shop weekly but we don't. So for now I guess I will just have to work harder at this planning stuff.
    Hope your having a good weekend :)

10. dino

dino Active Member

Thanks Chameleon I really appreciate all those exercise names!!
    I figured the only way Im going to stick to this is if I pre-plan my food.
    And I think I will come off the vegan diet next week - more on why later.

Tomorrow:

Breakfast:
    Wholegrain Porridge with 125ml vanilla rice milk
    http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/generic/wholegrain-porridge-with-vanilla-rice-milk-2
    196cal/5.9g protein/4.5g fat

Lunch:
    150g falafel, 200g veges
    235cal/14.81g protein/2.9g fat
    Chocolate Coffee
    200cal/2.1g protein/0.4g fat

Afternoon Snack:
    1 slice bread + PB, 1 large kiwifruit
    312cal/9.85g protein/12.3g fat

PreGym:
    25g cashews, apple
    208cal/6.1g protein /12.9g fat

Dinner:
    TVP stir fry (50g tvp, 200g veges)
    194cal/30.9g protein/0.9g fat
    Small serving of blueberries (100g)
    58cal/0.7g protein/0.1g fat

In total:
    1403 calories / 70.3grams protein / 33.8grams fat

Workout:
    3 x 10 40kg squats (hopefully, getting hubby to spot haven't done more than 20 before and i always bruise the back of my neck :P)
    3 x 12 reps standing shoulder press 6kgs each hand
    3 x 12 reps bench press 6kgs dumbells each hand
    3 x 12 reps incline bench chest flys 6kgs each hand

2 x 12 reps assisted pull ups, assist @ 5 x 14kgs, 7 x 16kgs
    3 x 12 reps cable row @ 21kgs
    2 x 20 seated calf raises @ 20kgs
    2 x assisted dips @ 14kgs
    3 x 16 leg curl @ 18kgs

Im going to sync this with my phone to make sure I follow it to a T!! Wish me luck, and what do you think of my diet??

Cheers!!!

#10 dino, Oct 7, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  11. dino

dino Active Member

Im thinking about buying some L-Glutamine and L-cartinine, Im also going to weigh myself tomorrow morning and take all my measurements so I can work out my BF% :)

12. archie

archie Active Member

Food choices are looking better. Guess planning helps :)
    How many cals are you aiming for daily?
    1200 seems pretty low.
    Or did you just not make the required cals?
    Anyway my cal estimate is too high so I don't know much.

I might take measurements tomorrow as well, so that way I know how much I improve (when it happens :p)

Last time I took measurements a while back I am pretty sure I measured in the wrong spots so I best go find the link that explains it all again so I get it right this time

Arch :)

13. jstone79

jstone79 Active Member

What devices are you going to use for your measurements? I would like to get something test this as well but am not sure what to get. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

14. archie

archie Active Member

Jstone - There are a few sites out there that tell you how to work it out with a tape measure. Best way of doing it is ussually to use different methods or sites and work out the average.

15. haleygirl82

haleygirl82 Active Member

hi laura, good luck, meal planning is a must for me, its a pain sometimes though but it kinda takes the pressure off of having to figure things out as the day goes on....im a vegetarian and i tried vegan for about a week a years ago and i just love eggs too much. in my defense i buy the cage free vegetarian fed ones lol take care

16. dino

dino Active Member

Woops havent posted in ages will update with a proper post later on.

My plan for this week is: (it looks like im having a lot of soymilk but in reality its only a splash in each meal)

FOOD

---------------------------------------------------------------

Monday - Thursday Food

B - Oats, Water, LSA, Soy Milk
    S - Protein Shake w/espresso + Soy, or PB sandwich + apple
    L - Light Tuna + Green Salad
    S - Protein Shake w/espresso + soy, might try adding LSA here too for some fat
    D - Chicken Vege stir fry (only soy sauce used nothing else) and udon noodles.

Friday
    Take it as it comes, protein shake for breakfast as have a very boozy work lunch.

Saturday
    B - Berry/Protein/Banana smoothie
    L -
    S -
    D -
    D -

---------------------------------------------------------------

EXERCISE

Monday
    * Leg weights PM

Tuesday
    * AM cardio
    * Upper body weights PM

Wednesday
    * AM light cardio
    * PM Leg weights

Thursday
    * AM cardio if I can wake up
    * PM HIIT training

Friday
    * Friday is going to be a weird day as I have a work party which I think will put me out of action :P But not to worried if I have a clean week.

Saturday
    * Squash AM

Sunday
    * Will TRY to get to the gym to do weights. but as sunday is traditionally my rest day im not gonna beat myself up if I dont.

17. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Hey Laura. I just saw your journal and your pics. Looks like we have almost the same stats. Good luck on achieving your goals, though don't be disappointed if you can't lose it all by the end of the year. 11 kg in two months would require some hardcore fat loss and it may not be the best idea to lose it all so fast since you want to retain as much lean mass as possible.

Also, keep an eye on your calories. I eat between 1700-1800 a day while cutting or else I feel weak and my workouts suffer.

18. dino

dino Active Member

Hey thanks J_W :D
    Yeah i have kind of relaxed my goals because I am putting on a ton of muscle.
    I dont know how I have become super dedicated this month, I attributeit to the 100 challenge :D

Perfect day today, squats 50kgs x 1 set, 4 x declining weights

lunges, leg curls, leg raises, leg press. calf raises

19. Happy Monster

Happy Monster Well-Known Member

Still on track? :)

20. dino

dino Active Member

hehe wow welcome back me :D
    yes you could say I am still on track, thanks to John Stone Forums... I got 100% addicted since I last posted on here and I haven't fallen off the wagon.

I am sitting at 66kgs at the moment, I had a bit of a weak few months but I am still extremely happy with myself. I came back on here to keep up my journal for a month and see how much further I can get :) My own little april challenge.

The plan is to do a 5x5 for the month of April with clean eating at 1400-1600 cals.

I will post some updated photos hopefully tomorrow :)

Today I cycled to work and back for the first time, yay me and it was raining and everything. I quite enjoyed it and the burning in my thighs heh. 24km round trip and only an extra 10mins each way travelling time. Nice.

Tomorrow is the first day of my 5x5, I will do this one I found on stronglifts unless anyone has any better Ideas.
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

I have been squatting 3 sets of 10 reps 132lb
    I can only bench 8 reps of 83lb
    I don't know single lifts,I have never done them before.

Workout A Workout B Squat 5x5 Squat 5x5 Bench Press 5x5 Overhead Press 5x5 Barbell Row 5x5 Deadlift 1x5 Dips 3xF Pull-ups/Chin-ups 3xF
    Squat 5x5 - will start at 132
    Bench Press 5x5 - will start at 83
    Barbel Row - never done these before, will see how I go
    Dips - will start at assisted 7 - have to be so careful of my shoulder with these.