1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Knees hurting

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by _Christopher_, Oct 28, 2004.

1. _Christopher_

_Christopher_ Well-Known Member

Since I've been back from Orlando my knees (mainly the left one) are hurting on the elliptical. Today I had to switch to the bike machine at the 12 minute mark due to the pain in the knee.

I would have thought a vacation would have been good (and they did not hurt at all before the vacation) but on the first day back they complained on the elliptical. What the heck is going on and what can I do for them?

2. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

You can supplement with glucosamine, first. I use 1000-mg/day, taken in the morning with my vitamins. I have wrecked knees from wrestling in high school, so believe me I know your pain. Both knees have been scoped in years past. The elliptical trainers tend to feel more harsh on my knees than doing the treadmill at 3.2~3.5 mph at 10% incline, so I avoid the elliptical and opt for the treadmill. Moving to the treadmill and walking at an incline no doubt helped strengthen my knees, so you might consider this as an alternative until your joints/knees get back into the swing of things. I'd lay off the elliptical just to be safe, as you don't want to injure a joint - especially a knee. Like shoulders, knees are one of those joints that once you start to see problems, they never quite go away if you continue to aggrevate the problem.

To start out, take at least 1,500 mg/day (try to take one in the morning, one at night) for a week then lower the dose to at least 750 per day once a day, and this dosage is pretty much a perpetual thing - you'll never stop taking it. I began doing this shortly after starting my weight loss program 18+ months ago - I had very bad joint pains when I first began to lose weight and glucosamine supplementation cured them all - however, it takes time to realize results (it's not an instant cure-all for joint pain) and try not to forget to take it. I went off it for a week in July when I was on vacation and noticed a significant difference in joint function.

3. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

BS, is there a place to read about glucosamine? I have mild knee problems, and wouldn't mind supplementing with something that's been proven to be safe long term, though if this stuff borders on the realm of true medicine, I'd rather avoid it (kind of how I'd never take an ibuprofen every day for knee problems, because I like to stay "pure").

4. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

To be honest with you, I don't know that much about the stuff other than the generally recommended dosage is 1,500 mg/day, and I can't even remember where I picked that up (I want to say it was one of the trainers I've worked with in days past). It was recommended to me last year by a friend who swore by it, and sure enough it really helped me out. I, in turn, recommended it to a friend with shoulder problems and he avoided surgery by taking it and is now healed. Unfortunately, I've tried upping the dosage and it's not helping with my current shoulder dilemma so I am back to 1000-mg/day. I buy a 2~3 month supply (1000-mg pills) for $26 at a local health food store.

As to its "naturality", I Googled "glucosamine" and a dozen links came up, many linked to arthritis websites. You might do some searches and reading through those.

[edit]

I found this on a website selling glucosamine:

"Glucosamine Chondroitin Joint Health Complex is an all natural alternative to pain killers. While pain killers may be beneficial, they only mask the pain, leaving your joint in the same condition as when you initially experienced the pain.

Glucosamine and chondroitin provide the joints with the building blocks they need to repair damage caused by osteoarthritis, over-exertion or injuries. Glucosamine and chondroitin are all natural compounds present in the body and are key components in cartilage formation and repair. Glucosamine and chondroitin supplements help the body stimulate cells to build cartilage and repair damaged joints."

[/edit]

5. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, Glucosamine and Glutamine came from hospitals treating burn victims. It would help repair the damage.

It's safe though, so I wouldn't worry about it. Even my Dad is starting to take it for after he runs (10 marathons, he's 50 now).

6. arshad

arshad Well-Known Member

I have the same problem like Christophers for last 2 months. I am on Glucosamine (1500 mg daily) and MSM (2000 mg daily). After reading this news, I am really disappointed.

7. vovo

vovo Well-Known Member

glucosamine comes from crushed shell fish so it is a naturally supplement