1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Knee pain

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by brandonaw, Apr 14, 2012.

1. brandonaw

brandonaw Active Member

Aug 13, 2007
    For several weeks, I was training for the Tough Mudder. The race includes a 10 mile run that I was training for with a treadmill.

I started at 2 miles x 3 for a week, going up a quarter mile at a time. I had some aching in my knees which I didn't think anything about because having 210 lbs coming down on each stride probably is a little hard on the knees. It usually went away after a day or so.

When I got 4 miles, I had to quit. My left knee really hurt after my longest run yet. I almost always stretched my hamstrings, quads and calves before running. I warmed up for 5 minutes at slow speed.

The problem is that after two months with no running, my left knee still hurts. I've taken ibuprofen and done no leg lifting and my knee is still a bit tender. The pain is localized in the inner part of the front of knee next to the knee cap. Anybody have experience with long term knee pain?

Any ideas on what should be done? Like I said, doctor's appointment this week for it.
  2. Terps01fan2006

Terps01fan2006 Active Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Google "PFPS" otherwise known as runners knee. Pretty much is a dull pain caused by the mis-tracking of your patella tendon over the kneecap. There are multiple causes for this which include, muscle imbalances between quads/hams, weak hips, imporper running shoes/form, too much-too soon.

Treat the all muscles of the leg to recover, you'd be amazed how much all the leg muscles work together and something like a tight calf could have an impact to the muscles in your upper leg. See what the doc says, but it's pretty much a guarantee he will give the textbook "rest, ice and stay off it for a couple weeks" A sports doctor would be your best bet if it doesnt improve.

Also I tend to do single leg exercises for strengthing. Single-leg deadlifts, single-leg squats, wall-sits.