1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kitty Attacks!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by KittyKat, Aug 20, 2007.

1. KittyKat

KittyKat Active Member

I was planning on starting a journal when my next training cycle starts in September....but decided to go ahead now instead of continuing to invade other people's journals (I hear a collective sigh of relief :D)

I guess this is the part where I should write about me and add some pics....well, there won't be any pics for the time being but I can give some background on Kitty Kat:

My second name is Kathrin, I love cats and I'm allergic to them. My aim is to drop to about 15 or 12 bodyfat and look fit and sportive. I want muscles, especially well shaped shoulders and calves, and some more vascularity. Some people say I already look fit and sportive but it's nothing compared to what others have achieved here on JSF! right now I'm about 55kg (121lbs) and I think around 18% bf so there's still some work ahead of me.

Btw, a few years back I did a university exchange year in Belgium and thanks to all the Belgian fries, chocolates and lovely beers I gained about 5kg over the period of a year. Did some unserious workout which I continued back at home. Then three years ago I moved abroad again to where I live now and put on even more weight. I then started with spinning, did that 4x a week as well as running and some body pump classes, and lost 10kg over a 1,5-year period. I didn't know about the importance of nutrition which is probably why it took me so long to lose the 10kgs. but I have to say, I enjoyed life, went out a lot, drank and ate what I wanted to but stayed very disciplined with the gym. I guess it was the best way for me and I felt on top of the world - my confidence grew exponentially with every kg lost and I've been told my personality changed quite a bit (confidence, assertiveness, etc, etc) :nod:

I'm still confident and feel great but my goals have changed. since the beginning of this year I started to decrease the amount of cardio and to increase lifting. my training partner is male so he makes me lift as much as I can. I dropped a few % of bf and went up from 53 to 55kg since January.

I'm starting this journal today because I just came back from a long weekend visiting my family back home and a week off training. before that I was on a 10-week training cycle with the aim to put on muscle mass (and decrease some bf which didn't really happen). tonight I'll head to the gym: for the next three weeks (maintenance) we'll be doing light weight training to mix things up a bit. after the three weeks I'll start cutting - there will be plenty more details on that later on since I need to figure out the details of the cut before I start.

that's it for now. this long post reflects my bad habit of talking and writing too much :o if you can't handle it then my journal won't be a pleasurable experience for you, I'm afraid :D

2. Buttersweet

Buttersweet Active Member

i'm subscribing!:)
    let us know more about your workout routines at the gym, what you have been doing and what you plan to change...

3. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

good luck and bravo for starting a journal!

4. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Enfin! Letztendlich! Finalmente! Eindlich!

Shame about the allergy :(

Good luck with maintenance 3 weeks then cut. I am following :) Make sure you post photos too!

5. KittyKat

KittyKat Active Member

thanks for the supporting voices, girls :)

I'll try my best to include all the details on my workouts and diet. so far I wrote everything into my little black book, my dear companion through good and bad workouts and uplifting and depressing measurements. I guess I'll be duplicating it all from now on, I still need to have something on paper....:o

6. KittyKat

KittyKat Active Member

here we go - the workout details of last night. we started doing light-weight training, meaning at least 20 reps per set which is a lot harder than it sounds....:eek:

back/triceps/cardio

triceps extensions slightly bent forward (7 sets)
    lat pull down (6 sets)
    tricep dips (5 sets)
    lying T-bar (5 sets)
    cardio: run on treadmill (23mins/4km)

we usually do 3 exercises per body part but this new way of training is much more intense so we decided to do two each with slightly more sets. with good reason: after the second set of tricep extensions my triceps were on fire....and I was on a bit more than half the usual weight!!! on the T-bar I didn't even manage to do half - I usually do 20-22kg but yesterday I only managed 7kg....crazy! it really is like a cardio workout, I ended up out of breath after every set. as for cardio, I usually absolutely love simple running (no intervals and stuff, except for a sprint every 10mins) but yesterday I had problems getting into the rhythm. I only started feeling comfortable after 15mins hence the meager 4km in 23mins.

I'm being a bit more lenient with my diet at the moment so allowed myself to skip an egg and an apple (but no cookies are allowed during the week! only skipping is allowed, not adding :)). after all the food of the past week I'm really happy to eat a bit less, it makes me feel much better and less bloated. all in all probably around 1700cals.

7. eleonardo

eleonardo Well-Known Member

Hè hè, eindelijk! :D
    Succes met alles. Zal het op de voet volgen! :cool:

8. FBChick

FBChick Active Member

Nice to see another Female journal in here. Eventually we'll take over! ;)

Good luck with the next phase!

9. droopy172

droopy172 Active Member

Good luck with your workout plan! That's a shame your allergic to cats :(
    [​IMG]

10. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

Good luck with your efforts. I am sure the journal will help motivate you and keep you on track so keep it up!

11. Dutch Jerry

Dutch Jerry Active Member

Same here :p

12. Buttersweet

:bow: the one thing i really like about heavy lifting is that you don't have to do high reps.:D
    i'm an ignorant so, please, what do you hope to achieve with light-weight training? just a change or?

13. KittyKat

KittyKat Active Member

Thanks Ryanator, Dutch Jerry and Eleonardo (leuk - maar geen foto's van vrouwen in mijn journal plakken, aub :D). Cute kitten, Droopy!!! is it yours? I'm envious! one day when I'm a bit more sedentary I'll have accupuncture and de-immunisation (think that's what it's called) done so that I can have a cat :nod:

yep, girl power! thanks for peeping in, FBChick!

btw, Ryanator, I like your signature. yes, we Swiss girls do speak a bunch of languages and are fun :p

14. KittyKat

KittyKat Active Member

well, I basically follow the advice of my coach/training partner/boyfriend - in almost everything when it comes to training since I only just started :whistle: according to him, when you do low-reps/heavy weights your slow-twitching muscle fibres are doing the work which makes you build up muscle mass. when you do high-reps/low weight, on the other hand, your fast-twitching muscle fibres are activated which contributes to muscle density. we're just throwing this in to mix things up, use the neglected fast-twitching muscle fibres and shock the body. my bf also says that when you go back to heavy weights afterwards, you'll have the impression that's much easier than before. we'll see about that.... in any case we decided to do it for two weeks instead of three and then to throw in one more week a few weeks later.

15. KittyKat

KittyKat Active Member

workout yesterday: legs (focus on quads / calves)

leg press (7 sets, 25 reps each)
    front extensions (5 sets, 25 reps)
    seated calf raises (6 sets, 30 reps)
    45 degree leg press (5 sets, 25 reps)

I'd done a few sets of high-rep 45 leg presses before during "normal" workouts so I was dreading this session.....the worst were the front extensions. my quads were burning and it was a challenge to keep standing after each set!!! definitely worse than front extensions with heavy weights. and I can feel how DOMS is shaping up :eek: I'm glad it's a rest day today.

diet according to plan. this time I had my egg in the last meal to give my leg muscles some extra protein for recovery (~1700cals).

16. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I think you have that backwards. Low-reps/heavy weight -- "fast twitch" and density. High-reps/lower weight -- "slow twitch" and mass. :tu:

But, what he really seems to be talking about is the difference between myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. Myofibrillar hypertrophy is an enlargement of individual muscle fibers while sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is an increase in non-contractile fluid of the muscle. In other words, myofibrillar makes a muscle stronger (i.e. density), while sarcoplasmic primarily just makes the muscle larger (i.e. mass). Myofibrillar most easily occurs when you use heavy weights (80%+ of 1-RM) and lower reps, while sarcoplasmic occurs when you use lighter weights (60-80% of 1-RM) and higher reps. In practice, you cannot have sarcoplasmic without some myofibrillar hypertrophy, but you can certainly have myofibrillar with little to no sarcoplasmic. If you're above 20 reps, you've usually gone a bit higher than is optimal for either and begin to focus on muscular endurance, metabolic adaptation (e.g. increase in mitochondria, etc.), and cardiovascular benefits.

In any case, it sounds like he has you on a good plan, though I wouldn't recommend going too high on the reps -- even if you are just starting up with a weight-training routine.

:gl:

#16 chicanerous, Aug 22, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  17. Buttersweet

whenever i do these my right knee hurts afterwards, for days, so i avoid front extensions. it's the only exercise i have problems with. maybe the load was too much?:confused:

18. KittyKat

KittyKat Active Member

so how come people are building muscles with low reps/heavy weights? you've got me confused now :confused: all the people around me (including myself usually) are building up muscle mass with high reps/low weights?

I've been lifting for 8 months now, this is just a way to shake things up a bit. I did 25 reps for legs because we're basically just doubling the amount that I usually do which is 10 for upper body and 12 for legs (except for calves where normally I do around 15 just to get the real burning feeling ;)).

thanks for all the info!!!

19. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

You can build muscle with both methods. Myofibrillar hypertrophy will also result in a bigger muscle, but the main function is increased strength, which is why it's useful to think of it as density-creating. The effect is also smaller than sarcoplasmic. This is one of the reasons why you have powerlifters or Olympic lifters who can lift nearly as much as the largest bodybuilders despite having a lot less muscle mass.

Whether or not you build mass is most dependent on volume of work and diet, not specific set / rep / loading schemes. As long as you perform enough work at a reasonably high intensity within a caloric surplus, you will build mass. If you work progressively (increasing sets, reps, weight, volume, etc.), you will continue to build mass.

High reps/low weights is a bit misleading if you want to build mass. The weights that are the most useful for building mass using this scheme are really more like "medium" weights -- the ones you can't lift for more than 8-20 or 25 reps or so. There's no specific cut-off, but, by the time you get to 30 reps, the load is usually too small.

Sounds like a good plan. :tu: I just saw that you had the low/high weight/reps thing backward, so I wanted to comment about it. What you're doing as a lifting plan sounds just fine.

#19 chicanerous, Aug 22, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  20. KittyKat

KittyKat Active Member

Thanks Chicanerous, this is really useful information. I still have to learn a lot! I've been reading up a lot on nutrition but realise that I haven't read anything on what lifting actually does to your body and the functioning of muscles. I'll definitely have to catch up there!

No workout yesterday but I thought for the sake of oversight I'm going to post the training schedule that I've been following for the past few months. It might change once we start with the next training cycle but unfortunately there's not too much flexibility because of other engagements/busy days at the gym (e.g. you wouldn't want to do chest or biceps on a Monday because that's what all the guys do):

Monday: Back / triceps / cardio
    Tuesday: Legs (quads/calves)
    Wednesday: off
    Thursday: Chest / biceps / abs / cardio
    Friday: Legs (hams / calves)
    Saturday: off
    Sunday: Shoulders / abs / cardio

We used to do 3 exercises each for back, triceps, chest and biceps, and 4 for legs and shoulders. we do on average 6 sets per exercise - the reason being that in the beginning I needed small steps in weight increase and after 4 sets I wouldn't have reached my max yet. I guess that has changed now but we like this since less exercises mean we can change them more often. currently we're down to 2 exercises each for upper body and we'll continue that in the cutting cycle since I want to have more time for cardio (am planning to do cardio after each lifting session).

btw, I eat according to a set meal plan (roughly 40/40/20 P/C/F) which I think is the best thing someone has ever suggested me to do - no more need to think about what I'm going to eat!!! it's enough for me to figure out which kind of veggies I'll have in the evening :whistle:

oh, cals yesterday (rest day = less cals): ca. 1350 (skipped last meal involuntarily)