1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kevin Trudeau and Vitamin "E".....

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by HevyMetal, Nov 19, 2011.

1. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Happened into a copy of Kevin Trudeau's book "Natural Cures They Don't Want You to Know About". When this book came out I didn't buy it due to Kevin having several issues whereby he ended up in the slammer.

It has been reviewed on this site before....and a lot of references in the book are suffixed with a directive to go his website to get the final answer. But you will pay to do that.

However....all that said I blundered into a copy free (co-worker) to read.

I find that he actually does have some very good info in parts of this this book...if you pick carefully through it.

Vitamin E:- for years they've been shellacking us with how it's important to take Vitamin E...however Kevin makes the claim that 98% of Vitamin E preparations are a waste of money and time. Apparently there are only a couple of manufacturers that sell "full spectrum-all natural" Vitamin E.. He states that it if is SYNTHETIC E or E with just ONE Tocopherol....then it has absolutely no positive effect at all.

He says:- "What you are looking for is a vitamin E that has a natural unesterified mixed tocepherol complex containing antithrombic d-alpha
    tocopherol , which protects against internal blood clots and actually dissolves them. And also containing d-beta,d-gamma, and d-delta tocopherols for synergystic anti-oxidant protection against harmful free radical damge and perioxynitrates damaging to brain cells, and also containing tocopherols in a non-genetically modified source.
    You do not want the synthetic dl form and not the esterified tocopherol acetate or succinate, not the ordinary soy oil diluted mixed tocopherols or adulterated forms. You want the the Vitamin E, which contains all four components for the powerful synergystic effects as nature intended. You do not want a Vitamin E with added Soy oil or other fillers,which can turn rancid and cause harmful free radical damage. You do not want one with added preservatives, colors or flavorings."

Apparently he's not permitted by the FTC to say which companies make these effective preps though.......

2. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Kevin Trudeau is a liar and a con artist -- I'd treat anything he says with a high degree of skepticism. I'm not sure there has been adequate research demonstrating the effects of mixed tocopherols vs. just the d(l)-alpha varieties. Certainly, I would independently verify anything Trudeau says, and not take his word on anything -- because his word isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

3. HevyMetal

Well....since I made the thread post I've been doing a bit of research on Vitamin E potency from different sources and it turns out that what he said is by most accounts true.

The type of E he suggests is actually available...but....a tad on the pricey side. (I guess you get what you pay for....even if you overpay....:rolleyes:).

I know about his "con" side, which is why I never bought the book originally. But seeing as how I got it free I thought I'd read it through.

The downside is:- it's a product by Kevin
    The upside is:- some of the info is pretty good and there's a ton of referral material.

Avocadoes have lots of natural E in them ...also Kiwi fruit, Nectarines and Peaches.
    Wheat germ has lots too.

4. JoeSchmo

Yeah, I know I've bought vitamin E with mixed tocopherols before ... and, my multi also has this -- so I agree that it is probably better to have that than simply the synthetic dl-alpha version.

5. astroguy

astroguy Well-Known Member

Kevin Trudeau on RationalWiki. In part:

6. HevyMetal

Yep...I know all about his history already. I mentioned about the thing where you have to go to his website to get further info for a price.

I don't advise anybody to go that route.

And I'm not promoting his book either.

All I'm saying is I got a copy for free and I read it and there is surprisingly some good info in it.

But much of that info I already knew.....from being on this site for years.

It was his take on Vitamin E that got my attention.

Just "mixed tocopherols" has little to do with it. You have to dissect the entire paragraph to get what he's saying.

Other nutritional sites have corroborated what he said there.

There are only so many places that sell Vitamin E the way he describes it.

So I posted the thread to save readers from wasting their money on run-of-the-mill Vitamin E (and that includes about 99% of the "mixed tocopherols" variety as well) that will do them absolutely no good.

Now I could have,by chance, discovered this info from other sources if I'd been looking. But I wasn't looking because I got conned by normal people into thinking the over-the-counter E worked perfectly when in fact it does not.

So I stumbled across it in his book accidentally.....sort of like draining the septic tank and discovering a large gold nugget at the bottom.....

BTW most of the "conspiracy theories" mentioned in his book are 100% true. Because I've gotten THAT information from other trusted sources at other times too.

7. redsquareblack

Hmmmm... maybe it's just me, but it sounds like you're going to great pains to appear as though you're not promoting Kevin Trudeau, and then you go and start promoting Kevin Trudeau. :confused:

Look, the guy is a quack, pure and simple. The evidence regarding Vitamin E supplementation and health is inconclusive, and there is currently no good evidence that consuming supraphysiologic doses of ANY form of vitamin E confers any particular health benefit, and certainly no evidence at present for preferring one specific form of vitamin E over any other. This may change with time, but that's just the way it is. :read:

I'm curious, however, to know what you mean by a Vitamin E "work[ing] perfectly". What does that even mean? And how could you tell?

But my biggest beef with this is the fact that at the end, you sort of throw in that "most of the 'conspiracy theories' mentioned in his book are 100% true." And helpfully, you mention that you know this because it has been corroborated by mysterious Other Trusted Sources. I'd like to know specific examples, since I happen to know that the majority of his "conspiracy theories" are groundless bunk. Also it would be helpful if you could name some names as far as your "Trusted Sources" go. I've already gotten a sense of your trustworthiness on the subject, why should I put any more weight on anonymous sources once removed?

8. HevyMetal

I am not promoting Kevin Trudeau. You can take him for what he has been described as so far.

That said.....the point was that over-the-counter Vitamin E is being bought daily by people who think that they are getting a form of it that is beneficial regardless of the dosage.

In just about all cases they aren't. So they are wasting their money.

I did my home work. After I read what is printed, I Googled my brains out looking for corroborating evidence. And there is quite a bit. (In regard to Vitamin E)

As I mentioned, I got the book for free.......so I read it anyway.

Much of it is material that is familiar to many. A lot of the statements and claims have been made by others before him. And a lot of the material that he offers has been found to be true by others before him.

However what he stated about Vitamin E I had not heard before.

Who said anything about megadoses? I didn't.

Since you are more concerned about megadoses than you are about what is in an over-the -counter Vitamin E prep (or maybe what is NOT)
    perhaps you need to Google up on the subject....

As an adult I am perfectly capable of reading material and making informed thoughts about same.
    I don't need to have a book "exorcised" before I read it, thanks....

#8 HevyMetal, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  9. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

This thread needs to die.

Hevy, thanks for sharing a decent nugget of info from a guy's book...
    Everyone else, just take the nugget of info and say thanks...if you don't believe it, that's fine too....

10. redsquareblack

Right, and my response was, in part, to convey the fact that in fact anyone who buys Vitamin E supplementation, regardless of provenance and content, is in the same boat, no matter what form is found in the supplement. Can't hurt, sure, but no real reason to believe that A) it does anything special, or B) that any particular form is more efficacious than any other.
    No doubt. But it is worth mentioning that the majority of the primary literature is stuck behind a paywall, primary literature the consensus of which is that the verdict on Vitamin E supplementation is inconclusive.
    That's fine, but the fact that he's not the first to say these things doesn't mean that they're any truer.
    No offense, but supraphysiological != megadoses.
    Never said you did, nor did I imply it. However, on a scientific basis, the vast majority of claims found in Trudeau's book are exaggerations, misunderstandings of basic science, or, at worst, laughably, demonstrably false.

I don't really care a bit what you read, or what you find helpful. But I do tend to have a fairly strong reaction to charlatans like Trudeau, and that often extends to others who imply or explicitly state things like "most of the 'conspiracy theories' mentioned in his book are 100% true".

Name one.

It's not about being right on the internet. It's about ensuring that Trudeau isn't able to spread any more misinformation and outright falsehoods than he already has.

For most things on these boards, I will absolutely defer to others such as yourself, who have much more experience than do I. But there are some things about which I do know a thing or two.

11. JoeSchmo

I don't see anything wrong with discussing/debating the topic. You have to expect that if you post a "fact" from a confirmed liar and con artist with no primary sources to back it up, that people are going to question it.

Do mixed tocopherol vitamin E supps with tocotrienols provide benefits that your standard d-alpha or synthetic E supp doesn't? I dunno....Last I read, there wasn't enough evidence to tell either way -- but admittedly, I haven't read anything on the topic in a while. But, I ain't gonna believe it just because Trudeau says it.

12. HevyMetal

Actually it wouldn't matter to me if Osama Bin Laden wrote the piece on Vitamin E.

If I was reading a dissertation by Bin Laden and it happened to contain the info on Vitamin E (see the first post in this thread where it starts "He says..what you are looking for....") I would research that too.

Because I quoted the entire paragraph on Vitamin E in his book in my FIRST post, there is absolutely no need for anyone to go out and buy it.
    All you have to do is read the post and go from there.

So you can all rest easy...regardless of what you think of Trudeau.

I'm up for the challenge.....I'll report back in a little while on what is and isn't true in his book......

Kind of reminds me of that old thing about the The Liars and The Truthsayers......

If a liar tells you he is a liar, do you believe him?

#12 HevyMetal, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  13. HevyMetal

Attention John Stone,please......

Could you hit the "Vaporize" button and delete this entire thread and all posts.......

Thanks......HM

:deadhorse:

14. raptor

raptor Well-Known Member

I remember seeing him in late night infomercials, I never really knew his backstory until reading through this thread and then reading up on him on wikipedia. He sounds like quite the snake oil salesman.