1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Kelly Ripa's Arms...............

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by ben6001, Apr 23, 2009.

1. ben6001

ben6001 Active Member

What exercises can I do to achieve arms like her? I would love for my arms to eventually be something like that.

[​IMG]

2. vertigo88

vertigo88 Active Member

low body fat and some pink dumbbells :lol:

sorry...couldn't resist. I would assume just working out with weights and lowering bf would do it. Most celebs seem to have a routine posted somewhere online, maybe you'll have luck if you try googling it.

3. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

she's the pushup queen. :nod:

4. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

The million pushup challenge should hire her....:lol:

5. Bt443407

Bt443407 Active Member

She's not even going all the way down!!! :p Piven wins :cool:

6. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'm pretty sure she actually lifts pretty heavy. And I've seen her arms look a lot healthier than that as well.

Yes, it takes a low body fat percentage, but she also has some serious lean body mass.

Honestly, I've seen so many erroneously reported celebrity workout schemes it makes my head spin. I googled and found this:
    http://ifitandhealthy.com/kelly-ripa-workout-and-diet/

But I personally don't believe it. :nope: Anyone who can do pushups like she can has been working out with a heck of a lot heavier weights than 3-5 pound dumbbells. :bb:

Also, to build good strong arms, you need a solid foundation as well. Don't focus all of your weight training efforts on just one area.

7. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I think the crowd mis-understood his "not going down" comment. He was saying the depth to the floor; sounds like they thought he meant not being defeated.

But, as I remember it from high school gym class, when doing pushups (for the military physical fitness test), the males had to have a partner with a fist (pink side down) under their chest. It was one push up when you lowered to the fist and raised back to full extension.

Females had a partner hold their hand with with pink extended to the floor and thumb extended, and that was held under the shoulder area, so they did't have to come down nearly as far. Maybe Kelly learned depth from that method.

Have a female friend who was taking the police acedemy enrollment physical therapy test (or something similar) and she was required to do "girly" push-ups (knees down). She actually asked if she could do real push-ups, feeling it was unfair to make her do a wussy style, and they would not allow it. Something like if she did it with the male version form instead of female version form they wouldn't count it as a push-up. She was not happy.

So at least Kelly didn't try knee-down style.

8. witeowl

witeowl Active Member

Yeah, that's what I think happened as well. At the end he even says he was 'had' on national tv - I think he was still complaining about it.

I'll admit, the form and lack of full range of motion irritated me as well (particularly her head way down and her butt a bit high), but it's still about 1,000,000 times better than I can (probably ever) do!

9. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Do you mean the physical entrance exam? In VT, it's full range of motion pushups, no resting. That's incredibly lame; I don't blame her for being annoyed!

My first reaction was that she's not doing a full range of motion, but I give her major props for doing them in those shoes. I do rely on my shoe rubber to hold the floor, and it's noticeable to me how much harder I have to work when my feet are slipping. :)

10. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

:lol: its funny how many different meanings that phrase can have. :nod:

i think guava's right.... kelly has a LOT of muscle. i guarantee she can lift some pretty significant weights. her arms are great... but her legs are just :dreamy:

#10 dejavued, Apr 24, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  11. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, that. Or at least, i think that. She's trying to be a cop and had to do certain physical fitness requirements, so that does sound like an entrance exam to me.

She'd have had no problem busting them out, either.

12. movegreatness

movegreatness Active Member

Low body fat and lots of curls for that girl. Since she's so busy I wonder if she carries around dumbells in her limo? :nod:

13. pin-up_girl

pin-up_girl Active Member

hmm, I've heard push ups is a great exercise you can do at home but I have such weak arms (a bit fat too)... is the "girly" style supposed to be to balance the extra weight we carry in our breasts or is it just an excuse? are they less effective? would it be acceptable for a beginner or should I just try the proper way since the start even though I can't do many? sorry for all the questions haha

14. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yes they're less effective. Yes they are acceptable for a beginner, to build up your strength until you can handle about 6 or 7 consecutive regular pushups. At that point, stick with the regular ones, decreasing time between sets until you can do as many as you want to be able to do. Bench press is also a good exercise to do to strengthen the muscles you'll need in order to do pushups. If you don't have a bench or a barbell, you can lie on your back and push a pair of dumbbells up towards the ceiling. If you can't press at least half of your bodyweight, then you'll probably have some difficulties with pushups.

15. IamthePreston

IamthePreston Active Member

I saw this and had to respond. I am sure Kelly has a very hectic schedule with the filming of her show, her kids, and other constraints on her time. She probably eats halfway decent, but the number one reason she looks like that is GENETICS.

I am saying this bc my old lady is built like her, and I can't get her to do anything. Occassionally she will play tennis with me.

Kelly was just blessed genetically, however to look like her you will really need to have a low bf% and have an ectomorph type body.

Look at Jessica Biehl, during the filming of Chuck and Lerry she had a much more muscular build, and looked really good. Now she is extremely thin. I am saying this bc her arms look muscular, but she is just way too thin now.

As far as the pushups about two years ago there were national standards and you have had to videotape and send in results every couple of years. They have gotten rid of that now trying to save money. But the pushups were done on a down up timmer. Kind of like a metronome. When you could no longer do them at the pace of the timer you were done. You would have to go all the way down, but they have modifications for knee pushups.

16. pin-up_girl

pin-up_girl Active Member

thanks guava!

17. lextrader

lextrader Active Member

hmm, I've heard push ups is a great exercise you can do at home but I have such weak arms (a bit fat too)... is the "girly" style supposed to be to balance the extra weight we carry in our breasts or is it just an excuse? are they less effective? would it be acceptable for a beginner or should I just try the proper way since the start even though I can't do many? sorry for all the questions haha
    ==============================================
    I was unable to do a lot of pressups but what you can do is reduce the intensity. So I "invented" :lol: my own way of doing pressups! "Instead of balancing on your toes - get down on your knees & do pressups like that!* Remember good form though & think of your knees as a "hinge". I rested my knees on a pillow to stop any real pressure from being applied by having them on the floor. I'm able to do a lot more traditional pressups including elevating my feet up a... foot :lol: - 12" to work my upper pecs. The're now a regular part of my workout that I enjoy doing - instead of dreading! :tu:

*It's worth noting this is a different exercise from any one I've seen anywhere as the calves & feet raise off the floor - your knees need protection like I have said - but the back muscles are engaged as they would be for the original push up & this helps to make the exercise a little more intense!

#17 lextrader, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  18. SweetPea

SweetPea Well-Known Member

:nono: Have to disagree, partly, with this. Genetics don't always give you a certain body type. You don't know her routine personally. She could work her rear off for those arms.

Though you will have to tell you girlfriend she is one lucky broad if it comes naturally to her;):nod:

19. angell

angell Active Member

[​IMG]

This is Marit Bjørgen. She was the person with the most medals in this years olympic winter games:) I noticed her arms when giving an interview on national TV here in Norway, that girl is ripped!

20. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Wow. That's my ideal. :eek: Fantastic!