1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping my butt out of the ICU!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by nomadsails, Mar 14, 2010.

1. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Hello everyone,

Forgive me JSF, for I have sinned. It has been more than two years since my last post (before this week).

Time to get back on the bandwagon.

I'm 23, married, coming back from a couple shoulder injuries with significant left-sided muscle loss in the upper back/arm, 5'8", 213lbs as of this morning, about 30% BF +/- 3%, and I'm tired as hell of being fat.

I'm a critical care nurse working in the Coronary Care Unit. I deal with other people's heart problems on a daily basis. I just saw a under-50 female die of a 100% occlusion (aka, no blood flow) of the abdominal aorta (supplies the lower body with blood) and a 95% occlusion of the left main cornary (supplies more than 50% of the heart). I'm intimately familiar with obesity, heart disease, and diabetes.

The bottom line is for me: HELL NO! I do not want to ever have diabetes or need insulin , nor do I want a quadruple bypass. Every single bad thing caused by poor diet and lack of exercise, every one of those avoidable problems, must be eliminated.

-----------

Goal weight: 180 lbs.
    Goal BF: 10%
    Goal time: 2 years, March 2012

Current Phase: 3/16 Cut

Workout plan
    Phase I - Rippetoe's Starting Strength
    Phase II- 5x5 plan from Rippetoe's
    *Estimated time to completion for Phase I&II is approx 6 to 8 months
    Phase III- Olympic lifting

-----------------

Here's the data:
    23 years old
    5 ft. 8 in. / 213.0 lbs / 31% bodyfat (by BF scale - more accurate measurement coming)

Workout - Rippetoe's Starting Strength

Workout A and B alternate on nonconsecutive days

Workout A
    3x5 Squat (Starting at 135 lbs)
    3x5 Bench Press (Starting at 95 lbs)
    1x5 Deadlift (Starting at 135 lbs)

Workout B
    3x5 Squat (Starting at 135 lbs)
    3x5 Standing military press (To be established)
    3x5 Power cleans (To be established)

Cardio of some kind for at least 30 min on the off days.
    -Work days: "morning" walk
    -Off days: At least 30 min cardio on the eliptical, probably more since off days are largely sedentary from midnight to bedtime

---------
    Meal Plan - P90x Fat Shredder (in any order):
    Protein shake (40g protein, 16 oz skim milk)
    Protein shake (40g protein, 16 oz skim milk)*PWO
    Protein shake (20g protein, 8 oz skim milk)
    Grilled Chicken Salad
    Chicken, wild rice, steamed veggies
    1 piece fruit, 1 oz almonds
    ---------

3/12 Friday

Workout A
    Squats 2x5 @ 95, 1x5 @ 135, 135 next workout
    Bench 2x5 @ 65, 1x5 @ 95, 95 next workout
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 135, 135 next workout

Meals: Poor quality, Cal deficit
    1. English muffin with 1 egg
    2. Chicken teriyaki, salad, 4 pcs CA roll
    ---2 cookie ice cream sandwich

3/13 Sat

3 hours training at dojo, lots of falls, body trashed afterwords

Meals: Poor quality, Cal deficit
    1. English muffin with 1 egg
    2. 12 oz apple juice
    3. 2 slices supreme pizza
    ---12 oz milk
    ---2 girl scout cookies
    4. 2 slices supreme pizza

------------------

Can I learn the power clean on my own, with light weights. I have a friend who can coach me, but I will probably not see him for three weeks or so. Should I just substitute rows for the clean in the mean time?

#1 nomadsails, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. euan

euan Active Member

Looks like you have put a lot of thought and planning into this - good luck with your goals :tu:

Bulk if you want. I guess it depends on what matters more to you. I still believe that you can gain strength and maintain lean mass while cutting particularly when starting.

You could teach yourself to clean, but a good coach is invaluable. They can see things that you obviously can't while you perform the lift. IMO you should hold out till someone can show you how it's done, rather than develop any bad habits. Out of curiosity, is he a coach, or just a friend who does power cleans?

You'll find that your posture improves both as you get fitter, and as your self confidence improves. If you really want to do something extra though, google for 'Neanderthal no more' - TNation did a series of articles on posture improvement a couple of years ago.

3. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

My friend is a little all of the above. He went to school on a basketball scholarship until he blew out his knee. He's a basketball and track coach for high school. He also has been a freelance personal trainer for a number of years and appears to be pretty sharp. I'd probably trust him to get me going, but eventually I'll be seeking further instruction, especially if I decide to dive into oly lifting. I'm in the Los Angeles area so it shouldn't be hard to find someone who knows what they are doing.

Thanks for the hint for TNation, I'll be checking it out.

4. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

The "Neanderthal No More" applies 100% to me at present, every problem discussed is one I have. I would highly recommend this to just about everyone who spends time at a desk or computer on a daily basis.

Running idea is to incorporate the exercises described for posture into my routine. I believe that since I'm going to be starting far lower than I would like weight wise, I shouldn't have any problem forcing proper form with the structural changes. The toughest part is going to be keeping good posture in daily life: the ergonomics at the hospital workstations and my current "desk" (aka the couch) are far from ideal. I'll post the modifications to the workout once I get that ironed out, this may be years in the making.

Links:

Eric Cressey - original author: ericcressey.com

TNation - Part V (links to Part IV which links to I, II, and III) -

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/neanderthal_no_more_part_v

Thanks for the suggestion!

5. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

3/14 Sunday

No workout today. Strange sleep. Awake 4am to 2pm, slept 2pm to 1am. Wife time 1am to 4am. Slept 4am to 8am.

Diet:
    1 slice pizza
    1 c rice with curry, 1/2 c veggies, 8 shirmp

Jacked sleep schedule is something else.

3/15

Workout B
    Squats 3x5 @ 135 (Increase to 145)
    Shoulder Press 3x5 @ 45 (Increase to 55)
    Pendlay Rows 3x5 @ 65 (Increase to 75)

Diet (will be edited later):
    1. Protein shake, 40g protein, 2 c milk
    2. 1 c rice, curry, veggies, shrimp
    3. 10 oz chicken, steamed veggies
    4. 1 oz almonds, 4 pineapple pieces
    5. 5oz grilled pork, 1 1/2 c rice, salad

#5 nomadsails, Mar 15, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  6. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Just added a meal program. Please critique!

P90x Fat Shredder program (including PWO shake)
    40 g protein / 16 oz skim milk
    40 g protein / 16 oz skim milk
    20 g protien / 8 oz skim milk
    Grilled chicken salad
    Chicken, wild rice, steamed veggies
    1 piece of fruit, 1 oz almonds

It's pretty basic, but has a lot of grab and go food, which will be essential to sticking with it. I like wild rice for a carb choice because it is so dense I rarely finish 1 cup. Using a lot of skim milk supplements my carb intake and keeps me from binging.

Any advice here? Am I setting myself up for failure? I'm hoping to lose 1 to 2 lbs per week.

7. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

So the last couple days have been crazy! I've been flipping from days to night to days and back to nights today. Talk about physiologic stress. After the third switch I'm having heart palpitations just trying to take a nap! Aparrently living on 2 and 4 hour naps and pulling 20 and 26 hour days is bad for the body. Who'd'a thunk it?:nono:

Unfortunately, I missed Wed and Thurs workouts, but will be hitting Wed workout tonight, then workout again Sunday.

Good news is that after this last switch back to nights, I have two weeks on 100% night schedule. I'll also be working about every other day which is a great schedule for me since I have to make sure I don't let my days and nights start changing on me.

Best news here is that my diet hasn't budged a bit. I skipped a chicken salad one night when I discovered the chicken was under cooked, and once more just because of time awake vs time sleeping. I also skipped a fruit/nut yesterday once again because I needed sleep. Other than that I'm right on target and making progress!

Morning stats today, one week after I started my changes is . . .

*drumroll*

210.0 lbs and 29% BF by scale. So net loss of 3 lbs even for the first week. Not bad.

The running plan is to stick to the current plan until I'm somewhere less than 200 lbs, probably 190 or 195, then see about doing a quick bulk.

I will be posting journals later today for the last few days I've missed.

For now it is time to go wake my wife up, hit the gym :bb:, then try to get a nap. It's only 8:30 am and I have to work 6pm to 7am tomorrow.

8. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Gym went well. I'm pleased to say my shoulder is holding up amazingly well. I'm just going to keep moving up slow to make sure all the tissues are healing and acclimating properly.

Deadlifts were 1x5 @ 155 today and I was a bit surprised how heavy that felt. I think I need to work on my grip strength a bit more, or maybe my form just sucks.

No real luck on a nap, but 24 hours isn't too bad considering this is the last time I need to flip for a while.

In any case, here's the data. I also forgot I cheated on Thursday morning because I was starving at 0800! But instead of picking up a donut or some other trash, I scarfed an egg, a couple hashbrowns, and some beans (why they have beans for breakfast out here is a mystery to me, but whatever). I also cheated and ate half of a slice of bagel with cream cheese. All in all that is still success!

Now, time to find something to do for a couple hours until I have to leave for work.

3/16 Tues

30 min cardio (150 HR x 25 min)

Protein shake 8oz skim milk, 20g protein
    Protein shake 16oz skim milk, 40g protein
    16oz PWO shake 40g protein 16oz skim milk, 1/2 c oatmeal, 4 strawberries
    Pineapple, 2oz almonds
    Chicken, wild rice, salad

3/17 Wed

Protein shake 12oz skim milk, 40g protein
    2 oz almonds, pineapple
    16 oz protein shake, 1oz choc chips
    7oz beef, 1/4 cabbage, 1/2 potato, 1 carrot

3/18 Thurs

16 oz protein shake
    1 egg, 6 hashbrown bites, 2oz beans
    1/4 bagel, 8oz coffee
    Chicken salad
    6oz beef, 1/4 cabbage, 1/2 potato, 1 carrot

3/19 Friday - 210.0 lbs, 29% BF -3lbs/1%BF

Workout A
    Squats 3x5 @ 135
    Bench 3x5 @ 95
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 155

16 oz protein shake
    Chicken shwarma plate with 1 pita, hummus, large salad

9. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

I would reconsider the bulk if you are higher body fat % then 12-15%.
    Bulking requires a calorie surplus. When you are a higher BF% calorie surplus will cause more fat gain and less muscle gain.

When you are leaner the calorie surplus will cause more muscle gain and less fat gain.

I think you can recomposition (esp. if you are a beginner or coming from a long lay off) on.. let's say 300 cals below your maintenance.
    As a beginner, even while "dieting" you can gain lean body mass if your diet is good.
    Something like 1 gram of protein per body pound, mainly veggies and fruits as carbs and some starchy carbs on your workout days (oats, brown rice, quinoa).. and don't forget about healthy fats!

Then when you are leaner start "mass gaining phase" (I hate the word "bulk") by eating more (increase slowly) and continuing lifting heavy.

10. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Quick update.

Friday went well and 100% according to plan.

Saturday I was hideously sleep deprived and had run out of groceries and enjoyed a cheat 24 hours until sundown Sunday. Monday ended up in the same pattern, I only ate some cheap chinese food and a friend dropped by so we got a pizza.

As of today I'm back on track. Good workout today. Work tonight. Picked up groceries.

I have to say my sleep schedule getting out of control seems to have a strong correlation with me having cravings for bad food on top of making me irritable and grumpy.

11. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Alrighty, so 208.0lbs, -2 lbs more. Scale says BF 31%, but I expect that will change by the bedtime.

Feeling good. -5 lbs total in 2 weeks. Need to kick up the cardio a bit on my off days. Also need to remember to eat on my off days, seem to only eat twice most of the time, and small meals at that. Actually bottomed out at 207 and 28% this week.

My only concern here is that I might be burning muscle, but I'll be taking measurements tonight and probably biweekly to track that.

I'm going to stop recording my diet, but here's the current skeleton plan:

3 x 16 oz skim milk, 40g protein powder
    1 x Chicken, carbs, veggies
    1 x Chicken, veggies
    Optional 1 x fruit, 2oz almonds

Veggies are most commonly salad or steamed broccoli.

Felt really strong on deadlifts yesterday. All my lifts are steadily progressing. But that could be because I'm starting at well less than what I know I'm capable of to let the shoulder rehab.

I'll be updating my gym logs regularly and will be posting tonight.

12. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Okay, so updates as promised:

3/25 Thursday

Squats 3x5 @ 155
    Bench 3x5 @ 105
    Deads 1x5 @ 165

3/29 Monday
    Squats 3x5 @ 165
    Shoulder Press 3x5 @ 65
    Pendlay Rows @ 75

Overall feeling good. My diet is great on days I work but generally sucks on my days off. My challenge for the next week is to workout Monday, Wendsday, and Friday. The other big challenge is to get to the grocery store to pick up food.

I'm finding when I run out of good food I tend to stop eating properly. Or when the wife and I have a date night even if dinner isn't too bad we'll go for desert and I end up blowing it.

Couldn't find my measurer but I know it is around somewhere. I'll be cleaning house so hopefully I'll find it soon.

I've got a few things I need to change but I'm just going to enjoy my workouts, try to clean up my diet, and keep a positive attitude. Once I start blasting myself for every little problem I'll quit and take a pizza binge then get depressed.

Anyone have any advice on how to maintain a proper diet with a spouse who isn't dieting? I'm trying to get her to come round, but she hasn't found any motivation to change yet and she's the type that has to be internally motivated to do just about anything.

13. KT Monahan

KT Monahan Active Member

FYI -- Rippetoe prefers pull/chin ups over rows. 1) They greatly assist the bench and press and 2) he doesn't think they work well at high weights / low reps.

Rows are still good though.

14. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Thanks for the tip!

I'm actually getting together with my friend this weekend and will hopefully start learning the proper form for the power clean. My entire posterior chain is a train wreck so I absolutely want to focus on exercises that will put on some serious meat there.

Workout update for the day:

3/31 Wed Workout A

Squats 3x5 @ 175
    Bench press 3x5 @ 115
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 175

Man, I am starting to feel strong! :bb: This is the first time in my life where I've truly loved going to the gym! DOMS is almost non-existent, my joints don't feel wrecked, my body doesn't feel like I'm lifting more than my form permits, and I don't feel like I'm spending half the day in the gym to do it! I'm also still showing almost daily progress on the scale :D

I've had a long history of loving long 2+ hour workouts but burning out and I have to say, I'm never doing that again!

I also just realized two major things today:

1. In 5 workouts I'll be squatting and deadlifting 225 lbs, the most I've ever done.

2. 225 lbs is no longer my body weight!

15. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Sweet! 206 lbs! -7lbs so far!

I should be in the 190s by the end of April! YES!

16. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

Keep rockin' it! You're doing great! :claphigh:

17. Lo0p

Lo0p Active Member

Lookin' good buddy! :tu:

But...2 years???

You could do this in a few months!

edit: okay maybe not 180 @ 10% but you could get down to my size and be pretty lean and fit relatively soon if you keep it up!

18. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

We shall see. I've got very thick shoulders, back, and legs. I don't know that structurally I could weigh 165 since that's my current lean body mass.

I'm giving myself a broad window to change that way I don't get in too much of a hurry.

Thanks for the encouragement. I am going to succeed, it just might take a while, or maybe not.

19. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Alrighty, so I just got to the gym. I'm exhausted! 34 hours awake and moving, including 3 hours of judo, and a 12 hour nursing shift, with only 2 hours of sleep under me. Whew!

Great workout though!

Tried my hand at power cleans for the first time. I'm having a good deal of trouble getting my elbows up for the rack position but I think this will come with time. There may be a slim chance that I have long forearms or short upper arms though because when I totally flex my forearms with my upper arms parallel to the ground my wrists come back all the way to my ear canals. It is probably a flexibility issue.

For a couple workouts I'm leaving my final weight on the power clean where it is as this seems to be the easiest weight to use. Any smaller and the bar clamps stick out farther than the weights making positioning a pain.

So here's the workout:

4/3 Sat

Squats 3x5 @ 185
    Standing Shoulder Press 3x5 @ 75
    Power Cleans 1x5 @ 65, 2x5 @ 95

I'm also starting to wonder where my weights will be topping out as I seem to feel better and stronger with the increased weights each week. We shall see.

20. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Another great workout today.

Squats 3x5 @ 195
    Bench press 3x5 @ 125
    Deadlifts 1x5 @ 185

Also played around a good deal with power cleans. My right wrist is a bit sore, but it is starting to make a bit more sense. Now if I can only get my elbows up on the rack, I think I'll be in decent enough shape.

I'm starting to notice that the deadlifts are feeling heavier while the squats only feel heavy when I'm first lifting the bar off the rack. I think my grip may be a bit weak. I'm using a hook grip, but that doesn't seem to be making much difference.

My diet has suffered a bit over the last couple days. Earlier today my wife brought home some Easter candy on sale and I've been chowing down. For some reason it is much easier for me to not buy things than it is to not eat them. Next time I'll just ask her to buy less and not tell me where it is.