1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 3/30. Saturday calories: 3,041: protein 169 grams (22%); carbs 509 grams (65%); fat 45 grams (13%). workout: 30 stairmaster; 30 treadmill & upper body lifting. mtd workouts: 2/3. Had a good workout, since when I work out after a rest day, I feel stronger. Weighin was alittle disappointing. I gained 3 pounds for the week, but I am pretty sure most was water weight. Since before I went to bed, had this huge bowl of sugar free jello, and a whey shake. After I showered at the gym, weighed myself, and was 4 pounds lighter, sweat was pouring off me today. Since I drink alot when I workout, but also sweat alot, usually it is a wash. So I am pretty sure I was about the same weight as last week. I hope to get to 198-199 this coming Saturday. I think this week I am taking a rest day on Monday, since I have a doctor's appointment Monday early, than have to go to work.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 4/30. Sunday calories: 3,120: protein 114 grams (15%); carbs 496 grams (64%); fat 74 grams (21%). workout: 4.80 mile road race (time 39.32. 8.14 minutes per mile). mtd workouts: 3/4. Yesterday, protein was very low, and that was even with 2 whey shakes. Reason, after the race, they were giving those hostess cupcakes, with the creme filling. I haven't had those for the longest time, and I ate 4. So to stay within my imposed calorie limit of 3,200 per day, couldn't eat anymore to get protein requirement. Race was good, I think I could have finished below 8:00 per mile, but the start of the race was very crowded, and couldn't run fast. Felt great running. Next race is a 5 mile Father's Day run. Made today a rest day, since had an eye doctor's appointment this morning, so today is my rest day for the week. They put those drops in my eyes, and everything is still blurry. On the bright side, Weds I am off from work, so I can lift upper body 2x this week.

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 5/30. Monday calories: 2,745; protein 163 grams (23%); carbs 402 grams (57%); fat 65 grams (20%). workout: rest day. mtd workouts: 3/5. Calories were good yesterday. Raising my calorie limit seems to be working (though kind of early to tell), I seem to have plenty to eat, and therefore not bingeing. I guess I will see what the scale tells me. Today was one of those days when I woke up, I wanted to stay in bed, and blow off my workout. I thought about it, trying to rationalize it, telling myself that my leg hurt yesterday, and I needed the rest, and tomorrow I am off, so if I get additonal rest today, I will have a better workout tomorrow when I lfit. But I knew I would regret not going. So I went, and had a good workout, and felt great after (and my leg didn't bother me today).

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 6/30. Tuesday calories: 3,558: protein 187 grams (21%); carbs 536 grams (61%); fat 71 grams (18%). workout: 30 minutes elliptical; 30 minutes running. mtd workout: 4/6. Ate too much, compensating by eating lite on Weds.

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 7/30. Weds calories: 2,645: protein 196 grams (29%); carbs 328 grams (49%); fat 65 grams (22%). workout: rest day. mtd workouts: 4/7. Was off from work today, and wanted to save gasoline, so didn't go to workout. Gym is on my way to work, so when I go to work the gas is not wasted. Was going to run outside, but it was rainy all day. Starting tomorrow, going to try getting to gym when it opens at 5:00, and do 30 minutes of weights daily, segment better shoulders, chest, back etc., instead of doing one monster upper body workout once a week. I'll see how that goes. Normally get to gym about 5:30, so only do one hour of cardio, and typically save weights for the weekend. Weekends it opens at 7:00 am. Ate lite today to compensate for eating alittle too much yesterday. For me, this is a perfect ratio of carbs, fat and protein, this is my goal ratio, and goal amount of calories in a day. If I could keep this up, I would be dropping weight at a good pace.

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 8/30. Thursday calories 3,090: protein 165 grams (22%); carbs 466 grams (60%); fat 60 grams (18%). workout: 30 minutes arctrainer; 30 minutes treadmill. mtd workouts: 5/8. Feeling better about nutriton, feel like I have a handle on it. Had a great 1 hour run this morning. I had planned on getting to the gym a 1/2 hour earlier to lift each day, but so far that hasn't happened. Saturday doing lower body, and Sunday doing upper body. Tomorrow is my weighin day. feel like I lost weight, the prior week I gained 3 pounds of water (I think), so I hope at the very least I am back to 200. I don't think the number on the scale is that important, but it is one indicatator. Have a great weekend.

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 9/30. Friday calories: 3,136: protein 173 grams (22%); carbs: 494 grams (61%); fat 61 grams (17%). workout: 60 minutes runnning; mtd workouts: 6/9.

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 10/30. Saturday calories: 2,986: protein: 189 grams (25%); carbs 428 grams (57%); fat 59 grams (18%). workout: lower body lifting; 30 minutes rower; 30 minutes treadmill. mtd workouts: 7/10. I had a good lower body workout, did squats, back feels good (so far). I feel really pumped today. I thought I was going to weigh less today for my weighin, I was 203, a half pound loss from last week. But that doesn't bother me, since I am trying to go slow and steady, for so far this method has given me success. I had planned on posting photos once every 2 weeks, but instead will do once the end of each month. Not much progress for me can be seen in 2 week intervals. Tomorrow is another 60 minutes of cardio, and upper body lifting.

9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 11/30. Sunday calories: 2,893: protein 147 grams (20%), carbs 490 grams (67%); fat 44 grams (13%). workout: upper body lifting; 30 minutes elliptical; 30 minutes running. mtd workouts: 8/11. Woke up at almost 2:00 am, I was starving, so had cold cereal, and went back to bed. Woke up about 4:45 am, and got ready to go to gym at 5:15. Had a good cardio workout. Recently, I would say for the last week, I am been in the zone, my nutrition has been much better than usual, and workouts have been excellent. Usually I can only get one of two right at the same time. It usually is a struggle with diet to keep calories below 3,000, but it has been easy of late. I think this is going to be the week that I plow through 200, and end at 198-199. It is not that important, but I do want to see those numbers on the scale. I hope to be 170-180 for marathon season this fall. So, assuming I can get to 199 this weekend, I would need to start losing about 1-1.50 pounds a week going forward. Now that I seem to have all of my ducks in a row, I believe I can do it.

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 12/20. Monday calories: 2,972: protein 151 grams (20%); carbs 466 grams (62%); fat 58 grams (18%). workout: 30 minutes stairmaster; 30 minutes treadmill. mtd workouts; 9/12. Ran for 1 hour at the gym this morning. I didn't want to go over 3,000 calories yesterday, so skipped my whey shake. I have really started to like whey shakes, I have been buying Met-Rx, and the extreme chocolate itastes great. Sometimes throw in a banana, some ice, water in the blender, and it is delicious. I buy Met-Rx since it is very low in cholesterol, whereas many of the whey packages that I look at in the store are not. Somehow, I have got to get my protein to 200 grams a day on a consistent basis. I really want to break through 200 this Saturday, so I might skip a rest day until Monday of next week.

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 13/30. Tues calories: 3,192: protein 163 grams (20%); carbs 534 grams (66%); fat 50 grams (14%). workout: 50 minutes running. mtd workouts: 10/13. Was going to blow off the gym this morning, since I have worked out 7 days in a row, and am really beat. The last minute, I changed mind and went, since now is the time not to get lazy. I am glad I went, since now I feel great. Calories are inching back up again, which is another reason I went to workout this moning. Again, skipped whey shake, since I ate too many calories to fit it in.

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 14/30. Weds Calories: 3,175: Protein 198 grams (24%); carbs 498 grmas (62%), and fat 50 grams (14%). workout: 30 minutes elliptical; 30 minutes running. mtd workouts: 11/14. Took today off as a rest day, I was really tired, and feel it is well earned. Even though I had more calories than I wanted, I got protein to where I want it at about 200 grams a day. Tomorrow I wanted to run for 1 hour outside, but since I am running in a 5 mile race on Fathers Day, I won't be at the gym to do lower body lifting, so I might go tommorrow early, and lift, and then run at the gym on a treadmill for 1 hour. Getting alittle nervous about weighin on Saturday, since I am really expecting to be at 198-199, I do feel I lost weight, but at the same time I feel somewhat bloated. But even if it doesn't happen this week, there is always next week.

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 15/30; Thursday calories: 3,000: protein: 167 grams (22%); carbs 464 grams (61%); fat 60 grams (17%). workout: rest day. mtd workouts: 11/15. Today ran for 1 hour at gym, alittle over 7 miles. Feeling good about weight tomorrow, after showering, was tempted to weigh myself but didn't, since last week that is what I did, and I weighed 3 pounds more on Saturday than I did on Friday. Didn't do lower body lifting today, since got to gym too late. Think I might make tomorrow a full body workout. After ths week, I am on my marathon training plan, which isn't that much different from what I am doing now, except that I am adding a long run each weekend. Going to start next weekend with a 10 mile run, and advance 1 mile per week, with a few setbacks during the 18 weeks, and eventually go up to 22 miles. I am definiteily running iin the NYC marathon on the first Sunday of November, and possibly might run in the Mohawk Hudson River marathon on 10/8. I was planning to run that to qualify for the Boston Marathon next year, but I don't see that happening, since I would need to get down to a minimum of 165, and assuming I am 198 tomorrow, that is 33 pounds to lose in alittle less than 4 months, not impossible, but unlikely for me anyway. But this year definitely want to run the NYC marathon under 4 hours, and I think that is a real possibility.

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 16/30. Friday calories: 2,828: protein: 165 grams (23%); carbs 469 grams (66%); fat 34 grams (11%). workout: ran 1 hour. mtd workouts: 12/16. My workout was tough today, upper body lifting, and 60 minutes cardio. I was so tired when I got home, I fell into a deep sleep for about 2 hours. My weighin was a bit of a disappointment, but not really. It was just my expectations were unrealistic. I was 201.50, a loss of 1.50 pounds from the prior week. I shouldn't have been expecting to lose 4 pounds in one week. Now, from the history of this week, if I work out 6 times in a week, and eat approximately 3,000 a day, I should expect to lose 1.50 pounds in a week. So assuming I do the same this next week, I should be 200 next Saturday. For me, having 3,000 a week, and working out 6 days a week is doable, especially if I can lose 1.50 pounds a week at this level. I am not sure if I am running in the 5 mile Fathers Day Run tomorrow. I am on a tight schedule tomorrow, and the race doesn't start till 9:30am, so I might run outside for 1 hour, or go to gym and do the lower body I didn't get to do so far this week. I had planned on making today a full body workout, but back didn't feel 100%, so I thought it was best to skip today.

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 17/30. Saturday calories: 3,008: protein 181g 24%; carbs 455g 61%; fat 51g 15%. workout: 30 minutes rowing, 30 minutes treadmill, upper body lifting. mtd workouts: 13/17.

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

dayi 18/30. Sunday calories: 5,613: protein 404 grams (28%); carbs 651 grams (46%); fat 166 grams (26%). workout: 5 mile road race. mtd workouts: 14/18. I was able to go to my Fathers Day 5 mile race afterall, since I was wrong about the time, I thought it started at 9:30, but it was acutally 8:30. The race was crowded, and I thought I would have a poor time, but I ran it in 40:50, which is 8:10 per mile. That is my fastest timed race per mile yet. The same race last year I ran at 45.17, which is 9:03 per mile. I felt really strong running, and it really was pretty hot. I ate alot yesterday, though I tried to eat better, I ate a ton of barbequed chicken legs and thighs (without the skin), no bread, and some salads, and dessert. It really is a total guess, but it was Fathers Day, and I haven't had a cheat meal in quite a while. I took today off as a rest day, since starting next week, as I mentioned before, I am starting my marathon training, and I will be doing a long run usually each Sunday, and will be taking off Monday as a rest day. The plan for weighin Saturday is 200 even. Have a great day.

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 19/30. Monday calories: 2,343 protein 183 grams (31%); carbs 329 grams (56%) & fat 33 grams (13%). workout: rest day. mtd workouts: 14/19. Calories were low yesterday, since I ate alot the day before, and wasn't hungry. I woke up, and really (really) didn't feel like working out this morning. I was thinking of making today a rest day also. Then, I said to myself, John Stone would go even if he didn't feel like it. That sort of convinced me. I went, and had a good workout, and now I feel great. I actually am most proud of myself when I go to the gym when I don't feel like it, after all, when I go because I want to go it is easy. It is getting to the gym when I don't feel like it is what separates the disciplined people who are shape, and those who are not.

18. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

:claplow:
    It's always good to have in mind the people who inspire us.

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 20/30. calories: 2,912 protein 180 grams (25%); carbs 491 grams (67%); fat 28 grams (8%). workout: 30 minutes arctrainer; 30 minutes treadmill. mtd workouts: 15/20. I seem to have gotten my protein level up to a halfway decent level, but fat is too low. I somehow need to cut back on carbs, and increase protein to get to 200 grams, and fat to get to atleast 50 grams. Next week, going to try adding some almonds as a snack during the day. Those 6 oz tins that they sell, devided 5 ways, is about 20 grams of fat, and about 215 calories. Had a good workout this morning; 30 minutes arctrainer & 30 minutes treadmill. Yesterday morning, when I grabbed my running shoes in the dark natural light, I said to myself, these sneakers look pretty dirty, since they were orginally white. When I got to the gym, I noticed I put on my old sneakers, that I now use for cutting the lawn. While I was running on the treadmill, I was thinking, these running shoes still feel pretty good to run in. Last night, my knees were aching, and I was wondering why, then I remembered about the running shoes.

20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 21/30. Weds calories: 3,070 protein 163 grams (21%); carbs 553 grams (72%) fat 25 grams (7%). workout: 30 minutes arctrainer; 30 minutes treadmill. mtd workouts: 16/21. Ran for 1 hour at the gym today. I was really tired this morning, but towards the end of the run, had alot of energy. I really should be running outside, I don't know what is stopping me, except the inertia of almost robotically going to the gym each morning. Sunday I will definitely run outside for my long run. I don't mind running on a treadmill for 1 hour, but when it gets longer than 1 hour, I don't like it much.