1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 16/31. Tuesday calories: 2,678. protein 167 grams (25%); carbs 406 grams (61%), and fat 41 grams (14%). workout: 60 minutes running. mtd workouts: 14/16. Woke up today with an upset stomach, so skipped breakfast. Since I was up early already, I decided to go for my workout, since I want to take a rest day Friday. I am running in a 10K Saturday, and I could probably use a day of rest before it. Since I am running Saturday, and not going to the gym, Sunday will be my upper body day this week. My workout today went well, but I had to skip my after workout recovery bar. I realized something yesterday, that since I have been working out mornings before work, it has made me much calmer at work. When things happen that used to cause me stress, now I can deal with things much better. And this from someone who never really understood what stress was. Anytime I used to have stress, I would eat something, not realizing that this is how I was dealing with stress. Today is the 17th of the month, and I already have worked out 15 times. I think in the whole month of February, I worked out 16 times. I was looking at my food journal last night, and see that 3/30/06 was the last time I had diet soda. I used to be addicted to diet soda, I would drink atleast a 2 litre bottle everyday, but now I don't miss it at all.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 17/31. Weds calories: 2,829. protein 165 grams (23%); carbs 468 grams (66%) fat 33 grams (11%) workout: 30 minutes arctrainer; 30 minutes running. mtd workouts: 15/17. Since I took off from work today, I am taking a rest day today, and will workout tomorrow instead. Last night, about 10:00 pm I really felt like eating. I have no more junk food in my house, but I did have some humus, which I considered having with some crackers. But I am starting to get to know myself, and I knew if I had the humus (whole container 350 cal) and some saltines (150 cal), it would not stop there, so a better choice would be to stay out of the kitchen and grin and bear it until the desire for food passes. Which I did, and I survived.

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 18/31. workout: rest day. mtd workouts: 15/18. I wrote down what I ate yesterday, but didn't total calories, or components. I am at work now, so that will have to wait until the next time I do an update, probably tomorrow. I really needed that rest day yesterday, I was beat. Today, skipped breakfast, and went to gym and ran for 1 hour, almost 7 miles. I am sorry I skipped breakfast, for when I got to my car, I forgot my recovery bar. Tomorrow I am running in a 10K, I hope to do it in under 50 minutes. Tomorrow is my weighin, if I wake up early enough (have to leave very early for the 10K), otherwise I will weigh myself on Sunday. The 10K is in Central Park in NYC, and normally I would dirve. But do to the high gas prices, I am going to take the bus. I have a monthly bus ticket that I use for commuting to work, and it is good on the weekends. So it is kind of stupid to drive, pay tolls over the George Washington Bridge, and have to look for parking in the street (which is very difficult on Saturdays, much easier on Sundays), when I could go on the bus for free.

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 19/31. Friday caloires: 2,263. protein 154 grams (26%); carbs 373 grams (64%); fat 25 grams (10%). workout: 1 hour running; mtd workouts: 16/19. Ran in a 10K in Central Park this morning. ran it in 51:48 (8:21 per mile), which was slower than my goal of 50:00, but I felt great, and it was 5 minutes less than the time I ran the same race last year, when I was about 25 pounds heavier. I finished in the top half of men, and in my age group 111 out of 239. This gives me more incentive to lose addtional weight, to become faster. Calories will be fairly high today, since after the 10K I ate 3 bagels, which I estimate at 350 calories each (1,050 total). I did wake up too late for my weighin today, so it will have to be tomorrow. Calories for tomorrow will probably be high also, since I am eating out for dinner. Weights tomorrow, and 1 hour of cardio. Good night.

#84 Shamie, May 20, 2006
    Last edited: May 21, 2006
  5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 20/31. Saturday calories: 4,570: protein 204 grams (18%); carbs 642 grams (56%); fat 135 grams (26%). workout: ran 10K 51:48. mtd workouts: 17/20. As I mentioned yesterday, I ate 3 bagels after the race (1,050 cal), which I knew would kill my calorie limit for the day, but atleast I had over 200 grams of protein. Woke up today with a sore throat, and my calfs hurting, so taking today as the rest day for the week. I am off from work on Weds, so I will have to move my upper body lifting day until then. I would workout today regardless, but I have to go out to dinner tonight, and I want to feel better by then. Today will be over my calorie limit also, but hopefully the rest of the month, I can keep better control. My weight was exactly the same as the prior week, 200.50. Once in awhile, I reread what I had previously written, and there is one glaring problem, I just eat way too much. Apparently, it is not that important for me to give myself a 6 pack, food must be more important to me. For if I really wanted to lean up, I wouldn't be eating so much food. So food must be my priority. I just don't know how to change this.

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 21/31. Sunday calories: 10,111. protein 350 grams (14%); carbs 1,282 grams (50%), and fat 415 grams (36%). workout: rest day. mtd workouts; 17/21. I can't believe I ate so much food. Since I ate out, it is just a guestimate, but I think it is pretty accurate. Not only did I eat alot when I ate out, but I also ate 12 oz of peanuts (1,920 calories) when I was home. I ate so much, that my stomach phycially hurt, and I just couldn't workout this morning. I am looking at today as a new beginning. I had planned on eating (already revised) 2,900 calories a day (average) for the month (90,000 for the month). I am revising that to 100,000 for the month, which equals to 3,225. And considering what I ate this month already, that will be pretty difficult to reach. I really need to do some soul searching, and get to root of what is causing me to overeat. Hopefully, this 10,000 calorie day didn't do too much damage, and by Saturday, I at the very least be the same weight I was last Sunday. I feel I am at a turning point, either I am on the verge of gaining all of my weight back, or turning things around, and go back to losing weight.

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 22/31. Monday calories: 2,310: protein 163 grams (27%); carbs 321 grams (54%); fat 50 grams (19%). workout: rest day. mtd workouts: 17/22. Woke up today feeling 100% better, and in a much better frame of mind. After my workout of 1 hour of cardio this morning, I feel back to normal. I feel so well rested, I fell asleep from 9:00 pm, until I woke up at 4:30 am this morning, I guess it was rest I needed. My calories were back to normal, but to be honest, yesterday was an easy day, since I ate so much the day before. Today will be the real test. I don 't feel as bloated today. Tomorrow I am off from work, and I need to make up my day for upper body lifting, since I skipped it on Sunday. I must credit this site, and this forum in particular, in keeping me focused on fat loss. Sometimes, like yesterday, I feel I am on the verge of sliding back to the way I used to be. I have known plenty of people who successfully lose weight, only to gain it back and more months later. But this site keeps me focused, and even though I stray once in awhile, by writing an entry everyday, I have successfully gone back on the program each time.

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 23/31. Tuesday calories: 2,758. protein 140 grams (20%); carbs 447 (65%); fat: 47 grams (15%). Workout: 30 minutes elliptical; 30 minutes treadmill. mtd workouts: 18/23. Calories good yesterday, but protein too low. I decided no more cheating (cheat meals) until I reach 180. Had a good workout this morning. Even though I am off from work today, went to gym at 5:30 am, and did 1 hour of cardio, and upper body lifting. Since I had time this morning instead of rushing too work, used the sauna and steam room today. I confirmed my feeling that I don't like either. Maybe from having sensitive skin wiith eczema etc, this is the reason, but I find both unconfortable, especially the steam room. All of a sudden, I feel back in control. I know I screwed up this week eating so much on Sunday, but I hope to stay the same atleast, when I weigh myself on Saturday. My next road race is on 6/4, which is a 4.8 mile race. Since it is shorter than a 10K, I hope to finish 8:00 minutes per mile or less. Have a good day.

9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 24/31. Weds calories: 2,453. protein 131 grams (21%); carbs 377 grams (61%); fat 50 grams (18%). workout: upper body lifting, 30 minutes arctrainer; 30 minutes running. mtd workouts: 19/24. Calories were on target yesterday, but again protein was low. I don't want to go over 2,500 a day the rest of the month, so I couldn't eat more protein yesterday. Had a great cardio workout this morning, I feel I am in the zone.

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 25/31. Thursday calories: 2,668: protein 144 grams (21%); carbs 399 grams (59%), and fat 58 grams (20%). workout: 30 minutes rowing, 30 minutes treadmill. mtd workouts: 20/25. I had a great run this morning, 7.10 miles in 60 minutes. I am officially on a streak now, 4 good days of eating, and 4 days working out, I can never get good nutrition, and exercise in sync. I hope to work out everyday this week, and have my next workout day next Friday. Was tempted to weigh myself at the gym today, but didn't. If I didn't like the weight I see, it might make me feel "what is the point", and go off my nutrition plan. So I am sticking with weighing myself tomorrow. Have a great weekend.

11. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

Hey Shamie. Good job! Your dedication is admirable. You can definitely achieve your goals. What's your current weight/other stats?

Consuming 10111 calories in one cheat day?!!! :eek: :doh: :nono:

You mentioned you don't like the idea of showing your face on the pictures (as I don't either) so here it is a very simple way of covering it up (if you are using Windows):

1) Click on Start/All Programs/Accessories/Paint
    2) Open your picture (File/Open)
    3) Click on Ellipse and then the third box bellow that:
    Paint.jpg
    4) Place the mouse on the top left corner of your head and with the left mouse button pressed drag it to the right bottom corner of your face. Save picture.

That's it!

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 26/31. Friday calories: 2,658: protein 144 grams (21%); carbs 396 grams (59%), and fat 60 grams (20%). workout: 60 minutes running. mtd workouts: 21/26. Weighin was the same as last week, the scale is stuck on 200.50, but with a 10,111 calorie day this past Sunday, I was lucky to get away with staying the same. Went to the gym today for 60 minutes of cardio. Also did a lite leg day, started very lite today on squats, leg press, leg curl, and calf raise, along with some ab work. Going to try to post some photo's today in the media gallery, but don't be surprised if I ask for help in linking the photo's to the thread. Have a great day.

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 27/31. Saturday calories: 2,645 protein 175 grams (27%); carbs 351 grams (53%); fat 60 grams (20%). workout: 60 minutes stairmaster; 30 minutes treadmill & lite lower body workout. mtd workouts: 22/27. Had a great workout this morning: upper body lifting, 30 minutes elliptical; 30 minutes running. Had a great upper body lifting workout this morning. I last lifted on Thurs, and have been doing a once a week upper body workout. But I felt really strong today, with increases in all my lifts. So, starting this week, moving to 2x a week for upper body, and once a week for lower body (lite). For anyone interested, I posted 2 photo's in the media gallery, thanks to Kilter's instructions. I had a little problem posting them, only the after picture came out when I started the thread, the before photo is on the first reply. I guess the photo's were too big, next time I will shrink them more. Tomorrow, skipping the gym, but going for a run for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Have a great memorial day.

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 28/31. Sunday calories: 2,685; protein 166 grams (25%); carbs 322 grams (48%); fat 80 grams (27%). workout: upper body lifting; 30 minutes stairmaster; 30 minutes treadmill. mtd workouts: 23/28. Went for a 1.25 hour run early this morning. It was a beautiful day, and I went fairly slow, a nice easy run. I am glad I went, woke up and almost convinced myself to make this a rest day. Today was memorial day, and went to a barbeque. Ate too much, hard to estimate total, but I will try later. Didn't eat that much (probably until I see it written down later), and only had for dessert 1 piece of ice cream cake.

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 29/31. Monday calories (n.a). workout: 1.25 hour run, probably about 7.50 miles. mtd workouts: 24/29. I am at work now, and didn't total calories for yesterday yet. I thought I might make today a rest day, but woke up at 4:00 am, and figured since I ate more than usual yesterday, I might as well take advantage of the extra calories and put it to use in a workout. Went on the arctrainer for 30 minutes, and ran about 3.60 miles on a treadmill in 30 minutes. This Saturday, my goal is 199, which would be a 1.50 pound loss for the week, and finally bring me below 200.

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 30/31. Tuesday calories: 3,890: protein 166 grams (17%); carbs 583 grams (58%), and fat 112 grams (25%). workout: 30 minutes arctrainer; 30 minutes running. mtd workouts: 25/30. Ate too much yesterday, I guess eating more than usual on memorial day stimulated my appetite. Woke up at 3:30 am, thought it was to early to be up, and thought I would go back to sleep, and wake up at 4:30, Woke up at 5:10, and rushed out the door, had to skip coffee and breakfast, and forgot my water bottle. Got to remember to leave one in the trunk of my car. Had a good 1 hour cardio workout. Atleast this mionth I reached my goal of working out 25 days (actually was 26 including today). I ate more than planned, hope to improve upon that next month. May actually was a pretty big improvement from April, depending on what I eat today, I ate about 600 less calories a day in May than April. I list at the beginning of each day, the day of the month we are on, for example today is 30 of 31 days. I do this because I look at each month as like a chapter in a book. The beginning of a new month is a chance to start fresh.

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 31/31. Weds calories: 4,454. protein 246 grams (21%); carbs 615 grams (54%); fat 126 grams (25%). workout: 30 minutes arctrainer; 30 minutes treadmill. mtd workouts: 26/31. While I had my problems nutrition wise, on the whole, May was a successful month. I worked out 26 times, and even though my calories consumed was alot higher than I wanted, I did eat an average of 815 calories less per day than in April (but April was a disaster). For the year to date, I have eaten a average of 3,835 (approx) daily for the first 5 months of the year. I lost from the start of the year (6.50) pounds (assuming approx 200 currently). If I could have cut 535 a day, which would mean I would be eating approximately 3,300 a day (not really starvation diet), I would have consumed 80,785 less calories for the first 151 days of the year (jan 1 to may 31), which would have equated to a loss of approximately 23 pounds from where I am now. Food for thought. So in June, I am going to try something different. Instead of telling myself I am going to have 2,500 a day, and then soon go over and feel frustrated, I am going to plan on 3,200 a day. If I had 3,200 a day, over 30 days, that would be 96,000 calories for the month, which would be my second lowest for the year so far. I should be able to lose a solid 5 pounds at this level, assuming my working out stays at the same level. This is the plan for June. Today, wanted to take a rest day, but since it was the first day of the month I didn't, since it sets a bad tone for the month.

18. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

Awesome job!!!:claphigh: :bow:

Congrats on your 10k a couple of weeks ago. 25 lbs. = 5 min. off of your time is very encouraging to me.

Good luck at your race this weekend!

-bmac

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 1/30. Thursday calories: 3,169: protein 175 grams (21%); carbs 504 grams (62%); and fat 62 grams (17%). workout: 30 minutes rowing; 30 minutes treadmill. mtd workouts 1/1. Took off today as a rest day, as planned. Tomorrow is upper body lifting, and 1 hour of cardio. Sunday I am running in a 4.8K race (it is 4.8K to celebrate 48 years of NY Road Runners Club). I am off from work today, and have alot of stuff to get done. Have a great day. Thanks BMAC for your encouragement. I am going to read your thread later today, wish I had time now.

20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 2/30. Friday calories: 3,198: protein: 191 grams (23%); carbs 484 grams (62%); fats 51 grams (15%). workout: rest day. mtd workouts: 1/2. I really needed this rest day today. Still need to readjust my diet, so that I can bump up protein alittle more, and cut down on carbs by alittle. I got pretty consistent now of having a whey shake daily, which has brought my protein level to a fairly decent range. Tomorrow is weighin day, not expecting much movement.