1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Good idea about setting more than 2 traps. I am going to buy more.

Rain definitely makes the driving conditions a lot worse.

I wasn't sure if I needed to stick around, but I decided to drive away and limit my involvement.

Day #256 - No Buy Year (2/01/19-1/31/20)

Steps yesterday: 13,850; 287 average: 13,283.

Sleep yesterday: 6.03 (deep: 0.00; light: 5.21; rem: .42)

Tues - 10/15/19. 60 elliptical; 30 treadmill. Sauna: 30 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 13/15. Incredibly, I fasted yesterday (except for coffee with milk and splenda. I say incredibly, because for me it is much harder to fast on a day when I am off from work. At 12:01 am today, I ate 4 sticks of string cheese (4 ounces), which is 280 calories, and 2 dates covered in coconut (140 calories). Back to the coal mines tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow will be chest training, and 30 minutes of cardio. If I can get up early again. Since I have been off, 5:00 am seems awfully early.

Mouse update: I go into the attic this morning, the peanut butter is gone, the mouse traps didn't go off, and there were no dead mice. At least I found out there are more than one mice in the attic. After I am done here, I pass Home Depot, and I am going stop and buy 3 packages of mouse traps (12 traps). I am going to watch some youtube video's of how to set the traps. I am pretty sure I am doing it right, I touched the trap with a ruler, and it went off.

Sunday calories: nutrition log: (I forgot I didn't update the nutrition yesterday).
    Carbs: %
    Protein: %
    Fat: %
    Total: %
    Sodium: mg
    Gluten free: 0 days

Monday calories: nutrition log: zero
    Gluten free: 1 day

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Day #257 - No Buy Year (2/01/19-1/31/20)

Steps yesterday: 15,811; 288 average: 13,291.

Sleep yesterday: 3.54 (deep: 0.00; light: 2.27; rem: 1.27)

Weds - 10/16/19. chest; ab training. Sauna: 20 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 14/16. I was planning on an abbreviated chest training (3 exercises), and 30 minutes of cardio, but decided that since I did cardio everyday for the last 4 days, I would skip the cardio. With the extra time, I did an additional 4 exercises.

Mouse update: I put more traps in the attic, but I didn't check them this morning. Going into the attic once a day is enough. I will check them tonight, and put new ones if the ones up there did their job. The ones I put in the house, the peanut butter is still on the traps, so hopefully I don't have mice in the actual house, just in the attic.

Tues calories: nutrition log: (I thought I had info with me, can't locate it)

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Day #258 - No Buy Year (2/01/19-1/31/20)

Steps yesterday: 8,269; 289 average: 13,274.

Sleep yesterday: 8.17 (deep: .32; light: 5.41; rem: 2.04)

Thurs - 10/17/19. rest day. m-t-d workouts: 14/17. I took a rest day because I think I am coming down with something. My throat is burning. I bought a pack of Lifesavers, that seems to soothe my throat. I felt somewhat better this morning after the extra sleep. Nutrition has improved recently, I have increased protein, and cut down on carbs. Fat is high, but I think it is relatively healthy fat: canned salmon, part skim string cheese, peanuts, walnuts, trail mix, pumpkin seeds, LaraBars (that accounts for most of it).

Mouse update: Found 2nd dead mouse in the attic this morning. I didn't check it last night. I was in a hurry this morning, disposed of the mouse, the other traps didn't go off, but I didn't check if the peanut butter was still on them. I like the fact I haven't heard any steps coming from the attic last night. But I would bet that there were more than 2 mice in the attic.

Tues calories: nutrition log: 3378
    Carbs: 257 30%
    Protein: 225 27%
    Fat: 177 47%
    Total: 104%
    Sodium: 4678 mg
    Gluten free: 2 days

Weds calories: nutrition log: 3318
    Carbs: 278 34%
    Protein: 203 24%
    Fat: 185 50%
    Total: 108% :confused:
    Sodium: 4158 mg
    Gluten free: 3 days

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't know if it's a placebo effect or not, but wifey swears by OTC stuff like Cold EZ when she thinks she's coming down with something.

Glad you're catching the mice; have you determined where their point of entry is?

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you. I will try that next time I feel like I did yesterday.

I wish I knew where they are entering the house. I looked at the exterior, I didn't see anything.

Day #259 - No Buy Year (2/01/19-1/31/20)

Steps yesterday: 8,847; 290 average: 13,258.

Sleep yesterday: 7.29 (deep: .40; light: 4.33; rem: 2.06)

Friday - 10/18/19. leg day. Sauna: 25 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 15/18. Last night, I came home from work, ate some food, then almost immediately fell asleep until this morning. 7&1/2 hours of sleep during the work week is a lot for me. But I feel a lot better today, I guess I needed the sleep. Throat feels back to normal, but I think I have a slight cough now. Tomorrow - chest training. TGIF.

Mouse update: Didn't check or re-bait the mouse traps. Fell asleep before that could happen.

Thurs calories: nutrition log: 3080
    Carbs: 261 34%
    Protein: 204 26%
    Fat: 157 46%
    Total: 106%
    Sodium: 3563 mg
    Gluten free: 4 days

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Finding the point of entry is going to be hard because they can fit into very small holes.

Glad you're feeling better than you were.

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I have to look into getting one of those motion sensor camera's. I have an idea of where they are getting in, but it is just a guess.

Day #260 - No Buy Year (2/01/19-1/31/20)

Steps yesterday: 11,289; 291 average: 13,251.

Sleep yesterday: 8.21 (deep: 1.25; light: 5.09; rem: 1.47)

Sat - 10/19/19. chest; abs; treadmill (30 minutes before lifting; 15 minutes after). Sauna: 30 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 16/19. I have been getting a decent amount of sleep recently. Yesterday's 1.25 of deep sleep was a recent record. I already have over 15K steps today. I forced myself to get on the treadmill today. I have been running (slowly) about 60% of the time on the treadmill. I can use the endorphins that I don't get from walking, steps accumulate faster, and so far my heel pain is manageable. I also want to improve cardio fitness. Whenever I look at the activity tracker watch I am wearing when running, heartbeat is 140-170, which is pretty high for running slowly. I was just at Wegman's supermarket and I tested my blood pressure on their machine, it was 117/73 which is pretty good, but I am on blood pressure medication.

Mouse update: no news.

Friday calories: nutrition log: 2838
    Carbs: 327 46%
    Protein: 105 15%
    Fat: 137 43%
    Sodium: 1500 mg
    Gluten free: 5 days

#8127 Shamie, Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Day #261 - No Buy Year (2/01/19-1/31/20)

Steps yesterday: 18,165; 292 average: 13,268.

Sleep yesterday: 9.04 (deep: .19; light: 5.25; rem: 3.20)

Sun - 10/20/19. back; abs. Sauna: 30 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 17/20. Even though I have nothing interesting to update today, I am not going to let that stop me. Why change now? Step amount will be low today most likely. No cardio at the gym, and it is raining out now. I felt run down last night, I sneezed about 100+ times. Today though, no sneezing, and my throat feels normal. I ate a lot yesterday, intentionally since the saying goes "feed a cold, starve a fever". I was only following directions. :)

Saturday calories: nutrition log: 3876
    Carbs: 543 56%
    Protein: 124 13%
    Fat: 131 31%
    Total: 100%
    Sodium: 3044 mg

9. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Glad you are feeling better

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you.

Day #262 - No Buy Year (2/01/19-1/31/20)

Steps yesterday: 4,737; 293 average: 13,239.

Sleep yesterday: 7.10 (deep: .00; light: 4.06; rem: 3.04)

Mon - 10/21/19. 60 elliptical; 30 treadmill. Sauna: 20 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 18/21. I am off today and tomorrow for Jewish holiday's. Unfortunately, I was looking at the 2020 calendar, and the holiday's I was off for last Monday & Tuesday, and this Monday & Tuesday fall on Saturday and Sunday next year. But a year is a long time away, who knows if I still will be working at this company in a year. The retail Apocalypse brought on by online shopping, has put a lot of pressure on retailers, and therefore manufacturers. I was watching a youtube video about the gut biome, which is a popular subject now. This video claims that Splenda and Equal are very bad for the gut biome, and I do have a lot of Splenda (almost every time I have coffee). You have to take everything on youtube with a grain of salt, but I have nothing to lose by discontinuing Splenda (it is a chemical). Everything on youtube is so contradictory, one video will have someone saying that bananas are the worst poison you can eat that will give you diabetes, then another will have someone espousing the health benefits of bananas.:ohnoes:

Sunday calories: nutrition log: (don't have info with me)
    Sodium:

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Day #263 - No Buy Year (2/01/19-1/31/20)

Steps yesterday: 18,810; 294 average: 13,258

Sleep yesterday: 3.58 (deep: .00; light: 3.04; rem: 0.54) - incorrect, slept more

Tuesday - 10/22/19. shoulders; triceps; abs. Sauna: 30 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 19/22. Even though I am off from work today, I got to the gym at 5:30 am, later than usual (but still early). I wanted to keep getting there early so I have no problem waking up early when I am back at work tomorrow. Very strong workout. Next week I am going to try Overhead press at 90 lbs. I couldn't get myself to try it today. But I moved up in skull crushers in my final set to 90lbs and it wasn't as hard as I had expected. Even though I had the time, I decided to give myself a break from cardio today. If you ever watch late night or early morning television, there are infomercials for every conceivable kitchen small appliance. One thing I never saw was a device that mixes natural peanut butter. I hate to mix natural peanut butter, it is difficult, messy, and never comes out good. The peanut butter on the top part of the jar ends up too oily, and the bottom ends up being drier than it should be. If you ever go into a paint store, they have the device that shakes the paint can, and mixes it. They need the same thing on a smaller scale to mix peanut butter. One issue preventing this might be that many peanut butter jars are glass, so it might be dangerous. Also the jars come in many sizes. I checked the internet, the only thing I found was an immersion blender (which I don't have), but it looks to me like it would be messy and not work that well.

Mouse update - the mouse traps I put in the acutal house are still untouched, and the peanut butter is still there. Hopefully that means I have no mice in the actual house. Last night, I put more traps in the attic, and when I checked this morning, they were untouched, and the peanut butter was still there. Hopefully that means there are no mice in the attic either. I would like to believe that, but I don't.

Sunday calories: nutrition log: 3531
    Carbs: 396 45%
    Protein: 161 18%
    Fat: 157 40%
    Total: 103%
    Sodium: 5412

Monday calories: nutrition log: 3851
    Carbs: 393 41%
    Protein: 211 22%
    Fat: 171 40%
    Sodium: 4788

#8131 Shamie, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't know how well it works, but there is a peanut butter stirrer available that fits onto a standard peanut butter jar. Also, once the peanut butter is stirred, if you put it in the refrigerator the oil won't separate again. Odd, but true.

13. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I tried the immersion blender without any type of cover and made a huge mess. After that I would put a hole in Saran wrap to make a cover. I'm not certain but am pretty sure it was mixing peanut butter that led to the early demise of the immersion blender. I think it was only a year old when it died. I'm back to mixing unsuccessfully with a spoon or I just buy the processed stuff that doesn't separate.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Mac, I never thought of using my immersion blender to mix new peanut butter and after reading about your experience I'm glad I didn't. Wifey and I go the old fashioned route with a spoon.

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Glad I didn't go out and buy an immersion blender for this task.

I looked online "Grandpa Witmer's old fashioned peanut butter mixer", from the youtube video, it appears to work well. I don't think I will buy it though. I think I am going to phase out peanut butter and just eat the peanuts. Peanut butter has a lot of calories, and it easy to eat a few hundred calories with a few spoon fulls. Peanuts are more filling.

Day #264 - No Buy Year (2/01/19-1/31/20)

Steps yesterday: 14,118; 295 average: 13,260

Sleep yesterday: 4.56 (deep: .00; light: 3.19; rem: 1.37)

Weds - 10/23/19. chest training (3 exercises); 30 minutes treadmill (running slowly). Sauna: 20 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 20/23. Bench press - incline, flat & decline (5 or 6 sets of each). Adding weight to the bar is a slow process. Bench press has always been weak for me (my excuse being I have long arms), but I can at least once again start with 45 lb plates on each side. Except on the incline bench press, which the most I can lift is 130 lbs. The 30 minutes on the treadmill today is the most I ran continuously in at least a year. I only ran 2.56 miles, but it is a start. Heel feels okay, not great but okay. Heart rate runs from the mid 140's to the low 160's the whole time. Kind of high for running slowly. Tomorrow - back training.

Tuesday calories: nutrition log: can't locate info, I am pretty sure I had it with me this morning.
    Sodium:

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Day #265 - No Buy Year (2/01/19-1/31/20)

Steps yesterday: 14,887; 296 average: 13,266

Sleep yesterday: 6.14 (deep: 1.09; light: 4.26; rem: 1.39)

Thurs - 10/24/19. back training. Sauna: 20 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 21/24. I was thinking of taking a rest day today when I woke up, glad I didn't, I had an excellent workout. I was planning on fasting yesterday, like last time, made it to 8:30 pm, then succumbed. Possibly today, but probably not. In this office, they celebrate the October birthday's today. It also depends if they have an ice cream cake. I won't eat a regular cake (gluten), but I will eat ice cream cake. I am not really a fan of ice cream, but since I am try to keep away from gluten, it is at least a substitute. I had dehydrated apples this past weekend, they came out good. Most people wouldn't eat 3 apples at one time, but it is easy to eat that much in dried fruit in a few bites. But that is not the reason for the high calorie amount yesterday, I would have had to eat a ton of apples. :)Tomorrow - leg training.

Tuesday calories: nutrition log: 3401
    Carbs: 449 53%
    Protein: 114 13%
    Fat: 144 38%
    Sodium: 1637

Weds calories: nutrition log: 5407
    Carbs: 627 46%
    Protein: 240 18%
    Fat: 241 40%
    Sodium: 4478

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad the workout was so good.

What brand of dehydrator do you have? Mine is very much entry level, but gets the job done; I haven't dehydrated my apple picking apples as I thought I would, maybe tomorrow, and wifey made a delicious apple sauce from some of them so none will go to waste. .

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Nesco, it is pretty cheap one, under $50.00. It is a good way to save fruit from going to waste.

Day #266 - No Buy Year (2/01/19-1/31/20)

Steps yesterday: 15,338; 297 average: 13,273

Sleep yesterday: 6.07 (deep: 1.03; light: 4.17; rem: .59)

Friday - 10/25/19. leg training. Sauna: 20 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 22/25. I am trying to go high protein for a while, to see if that helps to put on muscle. I hope to get out of this high calorie mode once October ends, and get back to a more disciplined approach to food. It wasn't easy to reach 15K steps yesterday. I had to take a walk at lunchtime, and then again after work, I still had to walk 3K steps after I got to my car after my nightly commute. I like when the steps come naturally in the normal course of the day. I do not like when I am forced to walk to reach the step goal. But probably those steps are the most useful, since they are the extra steps that I otherwise wouldn't have made. Tomorrow - chest training. TGIF.

Thurs calories: nutrition log: 3380​
    Carbs: 299 35%
    Protein: 190 22%
    Fat: 172 46%
    Sodium: 2473

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I agree about the dehydrator being useful for not wasting fruit and in the time that I've had mine I'm sure I've more than recouped the purchase price, which was about the same as yours.

20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

In Costco, they sell a bag of dried apricots weighing about 2 & 1/2 pounds. According to Google, 6 pounds of fresh apricots = 1 pound of dried apricots. Therefore it takes roughly 15 pounds of fresh apricots to make the 2.50 pound bag of dried apricots that they sell in Costco for less than $10.00. If that is the case, dried fruit is a pretty good deal.

Day #267 - No Buy Year (2/01/19-1/31/20)

Steps yesterday: 8,889; 298 average: 13,258

Sleep yesterday: 5.29 (deep: 0.00; light: 2.33; rem: 2.56)

Saturday - 10/26/19. chest; abs training; 25 minutes treadmill (after lifting 2.03 miles). Sauna: 30 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 23/26. Again, I ate a lot yesterday. The issue was the birthday cake from the day before at work. About 1/3 of the cake was left. I didn't have any cake the day before, I just wanted to taste it, and ended up eating 2 large pieces.:bang: Plus, when I was buying coffee at a coffee place, I also bought coconut bites, which were just 2 not so large pieces. It said drizzled in maple syrup, but it was more like soaked in maple syrup (sort of like a Greek pastry). I estimated the combined calories of 1,400. But no need to dwell on the past, I am moving forward today. Very good workout today, maybe from the high carbs yesterday.

Friday calories: nutrition log: (don't have with me, I think the total was about 4,100)​
    Sodium: 3