1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 26/30; Weds calories: 2,340. workout: rest day. mtd workouts: 20/26. Had a great cardio workout this morning. I decided yesterday that I am not asking enough of myself. Having a goal of about 185 is not enough. Sure it is alot better than when I started, but I can do alot better. Having run 7 marathons to date, it is my goal to run the Boston Marathon. I would need a qualifyiing time in another marathon of 3:30, which is a 8:00 per mile pace. I can see how much my running has already improved just getting down to 200. But getting down to 185 will not make me fast enough to qualify for Boston. I will need to get down to about 160-165. A bonus of getting down to 160, besides an increase in speed, is that should get me into the single digits for body fat, so maybe I could finally have a 6 pack.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

DAY 27/30. Calories: 2,840. workout: 30 minutes arctrainer; 30 minutes running. mtd workouts: 21/27. Woke up at 3:15 am, had cereal for breakfast. Went back to sleep, and woke up at 5:00 am. This is kind of late for me, since I really need to leave by 5:15 to stay on schedule. For some reason, I was moving really slow this morning, had to make lunch, find some clothes to wear, put out garbage etc., and didn't leave my house until 5:45, getting to the gym by 6:00. Since I am typically an all or nothing type person, I was thinking of not going, since I was so late. Had a great workout, ran for 1 hour, and was soaked when I was done. Luckily, since it was Friday, some people take off or work 4 day weeks, so the park and ride still had some spots when I got there at 7:30, normally it is filled by about 7:10. Worked out 6 days this week, and 6 days last week. Exercise is going well, nutrition is another story for most of April, hopefully I can get May to be like March, when both nutrition and exercise were in sync. It is not looking good for my weighin tomorrow, It doesn't bother me too much, since I know that the weight is going to start seriously dropping in May and going forward.

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 28/30; Friday calories: 2,760. workout: running 60 minutes. mtd workouts: 22/28. 1 hour at gym for cardio this morning. Tomorrow doing upper body weights, and 1 hour of cardio. Skipped weighing myself until tomorrow, since tomorrow is the end of the month. I just read "UltraMarathon Man", and I am sorry I did, for now my running marathons and working out seems insignificant to what the author has accomplished. He once ran about 50 miles to the start of a marathon, got there 5 minutes before the marathon started, and ran the marathon in 3:15. For some reason, this depressed me. I hope it ends up motivating me, not that I want to run in a marathon on the south pole, or run 100 miles in the desert. It just shows me again, that I am doing way under my potential.

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 29/30. Saturday calories: 5,700. workout: 30 minutes rower; 30 minutes treadmill. mtd workouts: 23/29. I ate so much today, I guess it is a fitting way to end this month, being that I ate so much this whole month. I hope my expectations are not unrealistic for May, after all, Moses is not going to part the Red Sea for me. But I do hope to get back on track. For April, workouts are right on target for me, weight lifting suffered this month, due to back problems, but cardio was excellent. I have only worked out in the mornings (instead of at night) now for almost 2 months, and I really like it. I have more time at night, and I am almost 100% used to waking up so early, and have adjusted the rest of the day. No doubt tomorrow will be one final fling eating too much food, but on Monday, 5/1 I will be back in bussiness 100%. Even if I wanted to cheat on junk, I have not one thing that could be considered junk in my house at the moment. I think I might change this blog in May, by making it simpler, just listing my workout for the prior day, and the food I ate in detail. I might do that for awhile and see how that works. I want to hold myself more accountable, and I think that might help.

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 30/30. Sunday calories: 5,500. workout: upper body lifting, 30 minutes stairmaster; 30 minutes treadmill. mtd workouts: 24/30. Well, the month is finally over, and now ready for May to be an intense month. I got "power eating" out of my system, and now I need to cut. My weighin today was 202, not as bad as I thought, and am ready to see some real progress this month. My lifting went well today, back feels 90% better. Felt really strong today when lifting. I decided against listing my food intake in detail. It is too time consuming, and it is a duplication of my food journal, so it is a waste of time. What I will do is list the total grams of protein, carbs, and fat, along with %'s, and a calorie total. My plan for this month is 2,500 calories a day, and at no point more than 3,000. My goal for this week is 199 (5/6)(hopefully some of the weight gained this week was water weight), and 197 for 5/13; 195 for 5/20 & 193 for 5/27. I would like to make tomorrow a rest day, but I don't like to take the first of the month off, it sets a bad tone for the month (not that I am superstitous)

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 1/31. Monday calories: 2,620. Protein 173 grams (26%); carbs 350 grams (52%); fats 64 grams (22%). workout: 30 minutes elliptical; 30 minutes running. mtd workouts: 1/1. Not bad for a first day of the month. Almost missed my workout today, woke up at 5:10 am, but for some reason I thought it was 6:10, then in a minute or so, I realized it was still dark, so it couldn't be 6:10, so went to gym , and had a good cardio workout. I hope to workout everyday this week, and take off Sunday, as my designated rest day.

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 2/31. Tuesday calories: 2,670. Portein 191 grams (28%); carbs 378 grams (55%) and fat 50 grams (17%). workout: 60 minutes running. mtd workouts: 2/2. Yesterday's run was great, while this is probably no indication of a good workout, when I am drenched at the end of the cardio workout, to me it feels like a great workout. Worked out this morning, batting 3 for 3. I hope to continue all week, and rest Sunday. I still feel bloated from my eating orgy of April, and don't think I will make 198 by Saturday. But I am sticking with this plan, and going forward with it, and eventually it will bring me to the fitness level and weight I want to be. I rented this DVD, "Saint Ralph", it is about this kid who trys to win the Boston Marathon in the 1950's (when it was less competitive), to create a miracle, so it will help his mother. While that movie wasn't really believable, it really has motivated me to try to qualify for the Boston Marathon some time this year. I need to find a fast, flat marathon, in late August, early Sept would be best, in the northeast USA.

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 3/31. Weds calories: 2,800. protein 118 grams (17%), carbs 426 grams (62%), fat 63 grams (21%); workout: 30 minutes elliptical; 30 minutes runniing. mtd workouts: 3/3. I was way under on protein, and I knew it, but I didn't want to go over the 2,800 caloris. Going to try harder today. If I make it to the gym tomorrow, I get my rest day on the weekend (exciting). Tomorrow is more cardio, I hope I lose something this week, but I was still eating alot Sun (4/30) after my last weighin, but I have worked out everyday since last weighin on 4/30, so I just don't know. I found a marathon to run to qualify to for the Boston Marathon next year, the "Pougkeepsie Journal Dutchess County Marathon" in NY, on 9/17/06. It is about 65 miles from my house. It is a really small marathon, last year only 38 people finished. I never ran in such a small marathon. But it is a qualifier for Boston, it is a relatively flat and fast marathon, I need a time of 3:30 to qualify for Boston next year. My only concern is that I am running in the NYC marathon on 11/5, since it is less than 2 months apart, the earlier marathon might hurt my training for NYC. NYC is way too crowded for a midpacker like myself to get a good time, atleast good enough to qualify for Boston.

9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 4/31. Thurs calories: 2,825: protein 150 grams (21%); carbs: 412 grams (58%) and fat 61 grams (21%). That was from memory, but I think it is pretty close. workout: 30 minutes stairmaster; 30 minutes running. mtd workouts: 4/4. Woke up really late today, 5:40am, which is when I should be at the gym already for 10 minutes. Almost resolved myself to make today my rest day, and workout both days this weekend. But skipped coffee and breadfast, threw on my workout clothes and was on the treadmill at 6:15, and spent an hour running. Made it to work, with 2 minutes to spare. Had a great run, ran 7.20 miles in 1 hour. Tomorrow have upper body lifting, and another hour of cardio. Sunday will be my rest day, and one thing I know, I am having pancakes. Since I go to the gym early on the weekends, I never have time for a decent breakfast, and I have craving pancakes for weeks.

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 5/31. Friday calories: 2,940. protein 179 grams (24%); 475 carbs (65%); fat 35 grams (11%). workout: 60 minutes running. mtd workouts: 5/5. My weighin was a bit of a disappointment, I lost 1 pounds, now at 201. But it was a loss, so I will happily take it. Will try to do better this week.

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 6/31. Saturday calories: 2,630. protein 207 grams (31%); carbs 366 grams (56%); fat 38 grams (13%). workout: upper body lifting; 30 minutes rower; 30 minutes treadmill mtd workouts: 6/6. Tomorrow is a rest day. My fat % is low, probably because I cut out most processed foods, and I don't eat beef or pork. Today was especially low, since I had 1lb of fat free cottage chesse, whey shake, and turkey. I take a tablespoon of udo's oil, probably should increase to atleast 2 tablespoons. Finally got my protein above 200 grams, where it should always be at a minimum. Running was great today, ran 3 miles in 23:38, which for me is excellent. Especially since on a treadmill I tend to run slower than I do in road races. Lifting went well today too. I feel I really earned my rest day tomorrow.

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 7/31: Sunday calories: 2,930. protein 163 grams (23%) carbs 332 (45%) fat 105 grams (32%). workout: rest day. mtd workouts: 6/7. Thought I would update tonight, since I will be on the internet at work less. This might help me not eat anything else tonight, other than what is planned, and I said I didn't want to go over 3,000 any day this month, so to be true to my word... I found what I think will be a better marathon for me to qualify for the Boston Marathon next year. I believe it is called the Mohawk Hudson River Marathon in Albany, NY. This marathon is supposed to be a fast course, it is on 10/8/06. It sounds nice, running along the Hudson River in upstate NY. The other marathon I mentioned is too small (last year 38 finishers), and 9/7 might be too hot. Albany is about 135 miles from my house, so it is not too bad a drive. I also have never been to the state capital of NY before, so I could sightsee alittle. Anyone interested in running a marathon, www.marathonguide.com is a great resource.

#72 Shamie, May 7, 2006
    Last edited: May 7, 2006
  13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 8/31. Monday calories 2,,960. protein 182 g. (25%); Carbs 446 g. (60%), fat 49 g. (15%). workout: 30 minutes ellyptical; 30 minutes treadmill. mtd workouts: 7/8. Had a great 1 hour run today. Almost didn't happen though, getting ready, and about to put my contact lense in my eye, and it drops to the floor. Sometimes it takes about 1/2 hour to find, since the floor is blue tile, and the contact lense is blue. But by some miracle, I found it right away. I only have one pair, so I would have no choice but to look for it. Still haven't been over 3,000 calories for the month to date, though I am getting close. To conserve calories, I have switched to oatmeal for breakfast (160 cal), vs, cold cereal with skim milk (about 330 cal), and for lunch have been having cottage chesse mixed with pineapple (1 lb 360 cal) vs. a can of tuna with bread and mayo (525 cal ) Even with this switch, have trouble staying under 3,000 calories. I don't haphazardly take the whey drink at night anymore when I feel like it, now I have it each and everyday, mixed with a tablespoon of Udo's oil (355 cal). My workout drink and my post workout recovery bar (amino bar) is 490 cal (but those are calories well spent). All these calories quickly add up, just what I have mentioned here add up to almost 1,500. Having the workout drink (accelerade), and the recovery bar provides me with the energy necessary for a good cardio workout, and today for instance, 1 hour running approximately 7 miles, burns between 1,000 and 1,100 cal.

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 9/31. Tuesday calories: 2,922. protein 134 g (19%); carbs 487 g (67%); fat 46 g (14%). workout: 60 minutes running. mtd workouts: 8/9. I started to come down with something last night, when I was on the bus, sweat started to pour off me, and when I got home I was dead tired, I slept from about 8:30 pm to about 2:00 am, then fell asleep again. I feel back to normal this morning, but I decided to make today a rest day. I instead will workout out Sunday, which was orginally supposed to be a rest day. Since I fell asleep so early, wasn't able to drink my whey shake, so that is why protein is so low. I had extra carbs to get some energy (to no avail), but I still stayed under 3,000 calories.

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 10/31. Weds calories: 2,888. protein 236 g (33%); Carbs 440 grams (62%); fat 30 grams (5%). workout: rest day. mtd workouts: 8/10. Had a good cardio workout this morning, I feel so calm and relaxed now. Yesterday I had the best protein level in awhile. Having the whey shake at night, seems to quench my appetite, so I will continue. The only drawback, is all that protein (46 grams) at night, along with all that water in the shake, makes me wake up to pee. I need more fat though, 5% is pretty pathetic (maybe this is why my skin is dry, and my hair is starting to feel like straw). I felt so bloated before I left to workout, but during my workout sweat was pouring off me, feel back to normal now.

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 11/31. Thursday calories: 3,319. protein 241 grams (30%); carbs (463 grams (58%) fat 45 grams (12%). workout: 30 minutes arctrainer; 30 minutes treadmill. mtd workouts: 9/11. Had a great 60 minute run today (on the treadmill - it was pouring here this morning). As usual, I woke up a bit late today, and had to rush to get to the gym, I was on the treadmill by 6:00 am, but I had no time for breakfast or coffee before. I guess since I ate more calories than usual last night, I didn't need the food or coffee, since I had alot of energy during the workout. My back is all recovered now, so I think that I will do my upper body lifting on Saturday, and do lower body lifting on Sunday (the first in awhile). I didn't want to eat over 3,000 any day this month (I ate 3,319) but I didn't eat any junk, and I will try to compenstate by eating alittle less each day next week. My weighin tomorrow is not looking good, while I definitely feel thinner, the scale is not showing it. I would like to think that I am gaining muscle (and losing fat), which is the reason for this, but I don't know. I like having so much protein each day, that is 2 days in a row that I have consumed over 230 grams (I can almost feel my chest and shoulders growing). I wanted to start having more fat (udo's oil or nuts) yesterday, but since I ate so many calories already, and really didn't want to go overboard. It is hard to keep calories under 3,000, since I want to keep protein over 200, increase fat, and I really feel I need as many carbs as I have been having, with my high level of cardio. I have not yet found a solution to this, but I am working on it. Have a great weekend.

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 12/31. Friday calories: 2,611: protein 210 grams (32%); carbs 346 grams (53%), and fat 43 grams (15%). workout: 60 minutes running. mtd workouts: 10/12. Had a good workout this morning, 30 minutes of rowing; 30 minutes running, and upper body lifting. Weightlifting seemed to take longer today then usual. I need to increase upper body to 2x a week, if I want to start seeing faster results. My weighin was a bit of a dissapointment, weightloss was 1/2 pound for week, ending at 200.50. But atleast I am moving in the right direction. Unsure about tomorrow. If I go to the gym, I will do an hour of cardio and a lower body workout, if I don't go, I will run outside for an hour. I am alittle uneasy about starting lower body lifting again, I don't want anymore back problems. I guess from running, and running up hills, and the other cardio work I do, my lower body has really benefited. My legs are cut, my calfs are big, and my thighs feel almost rock hard. So, I am not that concerned about lower body lifting. I should be concentrating on my upper body anyway.

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 13/31. Saturday calories: 2,967: protein 204 grams (27%); carbs 517 grams (69%), and fat 14 grams (4%). Workout: upper body lifting, 30 minutes rower; 30 minutes running. mtd workouts: 11/13. No lower body lifting today, I am enjoying my pain free back too much, to put it in jeporady. Had one hour of cardio today. Fat was almost nothing yesterday, I ate 3 protein shakes, 4.50 grams, fat free cottage chesse 0 grams etc. I hope to improve the 2nd part of the month. I still have high hopes (probably unrealistic) that I can get down to 190 by 6/10, which is my doctors appointment.

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 14/31. Sunday calories: 5,840. protein 245 grams ((17%), carbs 863 grams (59%), fat 157 grams (24%). workout: 30 minutes stairmaster; 30 minutes running. mtd workouts: 12/14. After eating so much on Mothers Day, oddly enough I woke up today feeling that as sure as the sun is going to set tonight, that going forward, I am finally going to lose the balance of the weight I want to lose. I think I came to this realization because yesterday when I was eating all this food, I wasn't really enjoying it, I was just eating out of habit, of eating alot at these types of functions. I really haven't messed up that much so far this month, my calories are about 3,000 daily for the month to date, and I have worked out 12 of 14 days this month. But I woke up this morning feeling all bloated, I wasn't able to eat breakfast, and I for sure didn't want to go workout, (I did skip the breakfast), but I did workout doing an hour of cardio. I just have this new confidence that going forward starting today, things are going to start happening.

20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 15/31. Monday calories 2,551. protein 168 grams (26%); carbs 346 (54%); fat 55 grams (20%). worikout: 30 minutes elliptical; 30 minutes running. mtd workout: 13/15. The calorie breakdown was from memory, I am pretty sure the calories are correct, and the breakdown is probably fairly close to what it acutally was. Woke up really early today starving. Went to gym, and had a good 1 hour run. I might take off tomorrow as a rest day, not really sure, or might try taking Friday as a rest day. Going to strive for calories at 2,700 a day, yesterday was pretty lite, since I skipped breakfast, since I ate so much the day before. As I said yesterday, starting yesterday, I am going to get my act together regarding nutrtion, to start seeing some progress. I am sick and tired of seeing that scale glued to approximately 200 since the start of the year. At the very least, I want to end this month at 196. With an hour of cardio 6 days a week, and eating 2,700 calories a day, I think that is a plan to accomplish this goal.