1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm happy the shoe is back to its rightful spot.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I'm happy the shoe is back to its rightful spot.

Thank you.

Running / walking today: .29; w-t-d: .29; m-t-d: 7.22

Steps yesterday: not available, Garmin is not working

Sleep: not available, Garmin is not working

Day #64 - No Buy Year (2/01/19-1/31/20)

Sat - 4/06/19. chest; abs; 5 treadmill (before lifting warm up). Sauna: 30. m-t-d workouts: 6/6. Garmin is not working, it won't sync to my phone anymore, and even the time is incorrect now. It is out of warranty, and it would cost $120.00 to have Garmin repair it. I think that was roughly the price when I bought it. In REI (a store not known for their low prices), a new one, the newest model (Garmin vivoactive 3) costs $200.00, so $120.00 to repair is kind of crazy. I think somewhere in my house is an old one, that doesn't measure sleep, but counts steps. Buying a new one doesn't really fit into my "no buy year". I could add an app to count the steps using my phone, but I am not always good about having my phone on me. From that statement alone, you can tell I am not young. :) Today I was 188, but my official weekly weigh in and measurements are tomorrow.

Friday nutrition: calories: 3,697

Carbs: 423 46%
    Protein: 141 15%
    Fat: 162 39%
    Total: 100%
    sodium: 3372

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct.

3. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's a bummer about the Garmin.

4. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Glad you found your shoe.

I too just toss the trap with the mouse. I pick both up using a plastic bag just like dog waste. I'm not directly touching it.

Have you tried a software update on your Garmin? I'm not sure how you download it to a vivo watch.

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

It is probably my fault, since I wear it in the sauna. I won't be doing that on any new device.

I will look into the software update. I think it is done automatically, but I will verify. Thank you.

Regarding the mouse, I do it the exact same way. I once bought a grabber in Costco, that works very well for this job.

Running / walking Sunday: 1.19; w-t-d: 1.48; m-t-d: 8.41
    Running / walking today: 1.21; w-t-d: 1.69; m-t-d: 9.62

Steps yesterday: not available, Garmin is not working

Day #66 - No Buy Year (2/01/19-1/31/20)

Sun - 4/07/19. back; abs; 20 treadmill (walking; before lifting). Sauna: 30. m-t-d workouts: 7/7.

Mon - 4/08/19. 60 elliptical; 15 treadmill (mostly running slowly). Sauna: 30. m-t-d workouts: 8/8. Unbelievably, I found the fitness tracker watch in my house, and it didn't take too long to locate. It is a Microsoft Band (they put out a fitness tracker watch for a few years - it never caught on). I never used it before. All I can say though is that I have bad timing. I was reading online how to use it, and they have a message, that they are discontinuing the phone app on 5/31/19, and will no longer be available to use with the device. Anyone who downloaded the app and synced it before 3/01/19, can get a $89.95 refund for the Microsoft Band, and $150.00 for the Microsoft Band #2. I had the original model. But since I didn't download the app, and sync it before 3/01, I don't qualify for the refund. After 5/31, you can still use the fitness tracker, and the steps are still available, but you can't get the history and other features that are available on the App. Also, if you ever have to reset it, after 5/31, that can no longer be done. It is interesting how these devices work differently. On the Garmin, being on the elliptical for 60 minutes would show roughly 6,000 steps. On this Microsoft Band, didn't pick up any steps. It just picks up steps when walking or running.

Sat nutrition: calories: 3,583

Carbs: 346 39%
    Protein: 188 21%
    Fat: 157 40%
    sodium: 4809

Sun nutrition: calories: 3,213

Carbs: 400 50%
    Protein: 146 18%
    Fat: 107 30%
    sodium: 2659

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Your experience with the band is certainly the downside of the pace of technological revolution.

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Agree

Running / walking yesterday: 1.24; w-t-d: 2.93; m-t-d: 10.86

Steps Monday: 9,310
    Steps Tuesday: 6,736

Day #68 - No Buy Year (2/01/19-1/31/20)

Tues - 4/09/19. shoulders; triceps, abs, 20 treadmill (walking). Sauna: 30. m-t-d workouts: 9/9.

Weds - 4/10/19. rest day. m-t-d workouts: 9/10. I woke up very tired today, and I am glad I took a rest day. The time from 4:10 when I normally wake up, to 6:00 am when I got out of bed didn't fly by like normal. The bulbs I planted last fall can't catch a break. I planted roughly 100 tulips, and the deer came, and ate every one to the base, not missing one. I should have taken the package seriously, when I bought them, the daffodils, and crocuses said on the package "deer resistant, but not the tulips. The deer walked past the daffodils and crocuses (which are in bloom) , and went straight for the tulips (which didn't bloom yet). Next, yesterday I took off from work so that PSEG (utility company) can move the gas meter from inside the garage, to outside. They damaged the bulb garden, installing the new meter. They are doing that to every house in my neighborhood, along with digging up the streets to install new gas lines. They have made quite a mess of the roads. Hopefully when this done the roads will get repaved, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

Mon nutrition: calories: 3,258

Carbs: 449 55%
    Protein: 111 14%
    Fat: 109 30%
    Total: 99%
    sodium: 2429

Tues nutrition: calories: 2,978

Carbs: 389 52%
    Protein: 81 11%
    Fat: 119 36%
    sodium: 1124

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking yesterday: 0.00; w-t-d: 2.93; m-t-d: 10.86

Steps yesterday: 4,530; 136 day average: 15,549 (goal: 16K steps a day).

Day #69 - No Buy Year (2/01/19-1/31/20)

Thurs - 4/11/19. back training. Sauna: 30 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 10/11. I somehow got out of the mode of trying to reach my step goal when my Garmin broke. I hope to get back into that mode again, starting today. I had hoped to be 185 by Sunday, but most likely that isn't going to happen. Need to do something about my nutrition, like eating more protein.:bang: I stopped having Greek yogurt daily, which was 46 grams each day, need to find a replacement or replacements for the Greek yogurt. Tomorrow I hope to train legs.

Weds nutrition: calories: 2,818

Carbs: 333 47%
    Protein: 88 13%
    Fat: 124 40%
    sodium: 2499

#7888 Shamie, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking yesterday: 0.00; w-t-d: 2.93; m-t-d: 10.86

Steps yesterday: 6,964; 137 day average: 15,527 (goal to average at least: 16K steps a day).

Day #70 - No Buy Year (2/01/19-1/31/20)

Friday - 4/12/19. leg; ab training. Sauna: 30 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 11/12. What I wrote about yesterday reaching the step goal didn't happen. Neither did the protein goal, except while the amount of steps improved from the day before, the protein got worse. I had a pretty good leg training session today. So today, I get on the bus, and sit right up front, to the right of the driver. I am thinking today, if the driver waits in the long line of buses for the bus lane, I am going to ask him why he is not taking the regular lanes (since Friday's the regular lanes are clear of traffic - usually). As we are driving, the driver is talking (more like mumbling) to himself pretty frequently. I thought at first he was on the phone, but he wasn't.:confused: We get to the long line of buses for the bus lane, and he joins the line. Now is my chance to ask him, but I chickened out. By this time, I am convinced something is mentally wrong with him, I decided to keep my mouth shut, since I didn't want to set him off. As it turned out, the line for the bus lane wasn't that long today, so the wait wasn't that bad. Tomorrow I plan on chest training. TGIF.

Thurs nutrition: calories: 2,508

Carbs: 355 57%
    Protein: 47 8% :eek:
    Fat: 101 36%
    sodium: 2499

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking yesterday: 1.24; w-t-d: 1.24; m-t-d: 12.100

Steps yesterday: 5,636; 138 day average: 15,455 (goal to average at least: 16K steps a day).

Day #71 - No Buy Year (2/01/19-1/31/20)

Sat - 4/13/19. chest; ab training. 20 treadmill (before lifting - walking). Sauna: 30 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 12/13. TGIF. I finally got my taxes done, and e-filed the Federal & NYS. Those two I get slight refunds. NJ on the other hand, I owe plenty, and don't have the money in my checking account to cover it. So that I am not going to e-file until Monday, and hopefully they won't take the money from my account until Weds or Thurs, when the money I am transferring will be available. Every time I file NJ taxes, it puts me in a bad mood, and makes me want to move out of the state. Apparently I am not alone, NJ has the most net migration out of the state than any other state. You would think that a larger mismanaged state like NY or CA with a much larger population would hold that title. Tomorrow I hope to train back / abs.

Friday nutrition: calories: 2,993

Carbs: 402 54%
    Protein: 90 12%
    Fat: 107 32%
    Total: 98%
    sodium: 1069

#7890 Shamie, Apr 13, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  11. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's sad about the deer eating the bulbs. So much effort which won't result in blooms. I hope you're able to get back on track with your steps. I can see a tension developing between the no buy year and the fitness regime developing!

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I feel your pain regarding taxes; I paid mine today. :(

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

They did miss 2, hopefully, they won't be back for what they missed. Next year, I am going to put a temporary fence up, and hopefully that will keep them out. You are right about the tension from the no buy year, but so far, I like this fitness tracker, though the downside is I have to remember to charge it every other day, battery lasts for 20 hours (the other lasted 6 or 7 days). I woke up this morning, and it was dead, I last charged it on Friday afternoon. Also, once the app is discontinued at the end of May, I will have to remember to record the steps at the end of the day, since the information on the watch is lost when the next day starts.

I filed my NJ today. I didn't want to take the chance that their system will be down tomorrow, or any other possible issue, like me forgetting to file them tomorrow. My niece and her husband bought a larger house than mine in Arizona, she pays about 1/8 of what I pay in real estate taxes, Arizona has a lower income tax rate than NJ, no inheritance tax, lower sales tax, and lower gasoline tax. NJ has a larger population, and a higher income workforce, so you would think that would result in high tax collections. I would just like to find out - where is the money going?

Running / walking yesterday: 2.37; w-t-d: 3.61; m-t-d: 15.71

Steps yesterday: 9,508; 139 day average: 15,412 (goal to average at least: 16K steps a day).

Day #72 - No Buy Year (2/01/19-1/31/20)

Sun - 4/14/19. back; ab training, 40 treadmill (20 before lifting; 20 after lifting (all walking)). Sauna: 30 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 13/14. Getting strength back after my 2 month vacation from lifting, but it is a slow process (especially chest exercises). Tomorrow I plan on cardio only. While I like the elliptical, now since I am not getting step credit on my wearable device, I feel cheated when I used it :crazy:, so I might use the treadmill instead. After not drinking diet soda for the longest time, I have become again a soda fiend. I am not really a fan of diet coke or pepsi, I love to drink diet Mountain Dew, or diet Sprite or 7 up. I have become a fan of the Wegman's store brand of diet soda. They have one that is their brand of Sprite, I think it taste better than Sprite. The next 2 weeks will be good at work. I am off this Friday for Good Friday, and the following Friday for the last day of Passover. :)

Sat calories: 2,964

Carbs: 300 41%
    Protein: 109 15%
    Fat: 146 44%
    sodium: 1823

#7893 Shamie, Apr 14, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking yesterday: 0.00; w-t-d: 3.61; m-t-d: 15.71

Steps yesterday: 8,822; 140 day average: 15,366 (goal to average at least: 16K steps a day).

Day #73 - No Buy Year (2/01/19-1/31/20)

Mon - 4/15/19. rest day. m-t-d workouts: 13/15. Happy tax day. :)

Sun calories: (forgot to bring info)

Carbs: %
    Protein: %
    Fat: %
    Total: %
    sodium:

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking yesterday: 1.37; w-t-d: 4.98; m-t-d: 17.08

Steps yesterday: 6,348; 141 day average: 15,302 (goal to average at least: 15K steps a day).

Day #74 - No Buy Year (2/01/19-1/31/20)

Tues - 4/16/19. 60 elliptical; 20 treadmill (about 1/3 running slowly). m-t-d workouts: 14/16. On the wall before you enter the locker room, there is sign "sauna closed for maintenance from 4/15-4/20". I hope at least if they are doing maintenance, it is something major, like putting in new benches, and floor. Today was supposed to be the start of my wheat free (gluten free) diet. As I previously mentioned, I have been having gastro problems since early February. Colonoscopy showed nothing wrong. I recently started taking a strong probiotic "85 billion CFU's", while early, so far no change. So I am starting a gluten free diet, since some of my symptoms sound like Celiac disease. I ate an unusual amount of products that contained wheat a day last week, and I was in a lot of pain the next day. So I figure I have nothing to lose by trying to go gluten free, as a last resort before scheduling an appointment with the gastroenterologist. I say I was supposed to start today, but I picked up a wrap at Starbucks this morning without thinking, and I am sure the wrap must be made of wheat. But since I waited this long, one more day shouldn't make a huge difference.

Sun calories: 3,003

Carbs: 365 47%
    Protein: 103 14%
    Fat: 126 38%
    sodium: 5,455

Mon calories: 3,153

Carbs: 359 46%
    Protein: 113 14%
    Fat: 144 41%
    Total: 101%
    sodium: 1,719

16. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Always good to try new things, I think, if just to see how you respond to them.

Gluten free can be a little annoying--as you noticed with the absent-minded purchase of a wrap--but at least it is enough of A Thing that many restaurants make sure to have GF offerings and/or clearly label GF items.

Jaer
    hopes it helps.

17. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

PersonallyI think low carb is great but I haven't noticed a digestive difference. Low carb by default is Gluten free. I knoe quite a few people who are gluten free ranging from very serious Celiac's, mild Celiac's, and just gluten intolerant who all noticed a difference different when they gave up gluten. Trying dietary solutions is good. Have you started eating something or stopped eating something when the problem started?

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I agree, can't hurt to try something different. I think it is something I could get used to.

For Celiac disease, a dietary solution is the only solution, there is no medication or cure. What you say is true regarding most people end up becoming low carb, but it doesn't have to be the case. Rice, potatoes have no gluten.

When my problem started, it had nothing to with wheat. My problem started with milk and after that container of milk, I have never been the same. I was not dairy free before, but I don't usually drink milk except in coffee. I don't digest milk that well, but I never was seriously sick after drinking it. I have no problem with yogurt or cheese. I had bought a gallon of milk, and I had like 2 or 3 cups at one time (by itself, and in cold cereal). After that, I got sick, and thought it was temporary from the milk. I only drank the 2 or 3 glasses, and threw out the rest. Nothing appeared wrong with the milk, it tasted fine, I had just bought it.

I am thinking celiac's. because it is autoimmune disease, and I already have psoriatic arthritis, and that also is an autoimmune disease. Also, now when I don't eat, that is when I feel best.

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking yesterday: 1.37; w-t-d: 4.98; m-t-d: 17.08

Steps yesterday: 10,240; 142 day average: 15,266 (goal to average at least: 15K steps a day).

Day #75 - No Buy Year (2/01/19-1/31/20)

Weds - 4/17/19. shoulders; triceps; abs. m-t-d workouts: 15/17. They are doing a lot of work on the sauna. I looked in it today, it is empty, and I think they are going to replace even the cedar wood. The benches definitely are being replaced. I hope they improve the lighting, so I can read in there, and a clock would be good. :) But to be honest, this week, not taking saunas, I have so much extra time, I am going to have to rethink how much time I spend in there, at least during the work week. Yesterday, the only wheat I had was in the wrap. There seems to be a plot against me from becoming wheat free, I got an email from Pret-A-Manger (sort of like a combination of Starbucks and Panera) for a free pastry. Today I got an email for a free Pretzel @ Wetzel's pretzels. While I do love to eat the Wetzel's pretzels, I probably will skip both. It is my birthday this month, and in this office they celebrate the monthly birthday's once a month. I think it will be today. If it is today, I will have the cake or whatever it is, since people hate when you refuse to eat the cake (especially if it is your birthday). It is not worth the trouble of explaining why you are not eating the cake, and don't want to be one of those people who announces that they are gluten free.

Tues calories: 3,218

Carbs: 387 48%
    Protein: 111 14%
    Fat: 141 39%
    Total: 101%
    sodium: 2,279

20. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Good luck on the wheat free plan--that sounds somewhat promising, though.