1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I think so. Thank you.

Running / walking today: 1.23; w-t-d: 6.82; m-t-d: 6.82

Steps yesterday: 13,161; 9 day average 14,965 (goal to average 14,000+)

Sleep: Tues / Weds night: 6.40 (2.42 deep, 3.58 light)

workout streak: 18 days (prior streak 29 days)

Weds - 12/05/18. 60 elliptical, 20 treadmill (walking); Sauna: 25 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 5/5. Yesterday, I saw I was short on steps, but I was supposed to go somewhere after work. That didn't happen, but forgot about the step count the rest of the night. I ended up being short by 89 steps from reaching goal.:( But this made me think, maybe I should change goal, so that the average steps stays over 14,000. Today I forgot the food I normally bring to work to eat during the day, 2 ounces of peanuts, a Kind Bar, and a Kutoa bar. I don't eat it all at once (but I easily could). So I think that I will make today my 2nd fast day of the week, instead of tomorrow. I will be happy to get that over with. Tomorrow I plan on back training.

Tues nutrition: 3889

Carbs: 515 69%
    Protein: 122 16%
    Fat: 157 21%
    Total: 102%
    sodium: 2953

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00; w-t-d: 6.82; m-t-d: 6.82

Steps yesterday: 21,124; 10 day average 15,581 (goal to average 14,000+)

Sleep: Weds / Thurs night: 5.09 (2.37 deep, 2.32 light)

workout streak: 19 days (prior streak 29 days)

Thurs - 12/06/18. back training #2, abs; Sauna: 25 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 6/6. 5 exercises / 31 sets / 433 reps. Abs: 1 exercise / 4 sets / 360 reps. I got the fasting out of the way for this week. It wasn't so bad yesterday. At about 3:00 am this morning, I ate some pumpkin seeds, and 2 Pop Tarts. :eat: They tasted so so good. With 2 days of fasting this week, even if I eat about 3,800 calories a day today and tomorrow, I will be under 3,000 average for the week. I replaced the water bottle that was leaking, with a new stainless steel one from GNC. The former water container was also stainless steel, in the sauna I would wrap a small towel around it, and the outside didn't get hot, and it kept the water fairly cool. This container, I wrap the same towel around it, but the container gets burning hot, yet the water is ice cold like it just came out of the fountain. I like the newer container better since it keeps the water colder, but now when I drink out of it in the sauna, I have to keep the towel wrapped around it. Tomorrow I hope to train legs.

Weds Nutrition: 844 calories

Carbs: 152 72%
    Protein: 31 18%
    Fat: 17 15%
    Total: 105%
    sodium: 687

#7662 Shamie, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  3. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That was a lot of steps yesterday!

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I did walk a lot, which includes the 60 minutes on the elliptical. But I think it is somewhat overstated. For an end of the year clean up in my office, they are hiring one of those shredder trucks services for a day next week. So I was moving my arms a lot putting stuff to be shredded in garbage bags. I think the arm movement adds steps without moving my feet.

Running / walking today: 0.00; w-t-d: 6.82; m-t-d: 6.82

Steps yesterday: 13,464; 11 day average 15,388 (goal to average 14,000+)

Sleep: Thurs / Friday night: 5.48 (2.38 deep, 3.10 light)

workout streak: 20 days (prior streak 29 days)

Friday - 12/07/18. leg, ab training; Sauna: 25 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 7/7. 8 exercises / 48 sets / 610 reps. Abs: 1 exercise / 3 sets / 150 reps. For 3 days, I having been fighting off getting a cold, and I think the cold is winning. I think the sauna is good medicine for a cold, so I can't miss any gym workouts. I would never just drive to the gym to use the sauna without working out. I plan on a long walk at lunch time, so I won't have to walk after work. One of these days, I have to walk to the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center. I work so close, it would be an embarrassment to miss seeing it in person. It is not as easy as you would think, since there are tons of tourists in the Rockefeller Center area, that you can barely walk (especially at night). Tomorrow I hope to train chest, and do some cardio. TGIF.

Thurs Nutrition: 3795 calories

Carbs: 516 54%
    Protein: 129 14%
    Fat: 128 30%
    Total: 98%
    sodium: 5643

#7664 Shamie, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  5. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Over the years I have met quite a few people who either lived or worked in NYC and they all disliked the Holiday season crowds and avoided the tourist areas (Rockefeller center, Macys, etc) this time of year.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The holiday crowds, while great for the local economy, are overwhelming around the big touristy areas. When my kids were younger we did it, but that ship sailed a long time ago. For about 5-6 years my commute to the East Side took me past Rockefeller Center and Saks, but since I was there at about 6 AM there were no crowds; much more enjoyable for me.

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I agree. 6:00 am. :eek: is an early time to be commuting. Your commute now is much better.

Much worse than walking, is driving in those areas this time of year. Something I would never do, but the traffic moves not even at a crawl.

Running / walking today: 2.85; w-t-d: 2.85; m-t-d: 9.67

Steps yesterday: 14,629; 12 day average 15,325 (goal to average 14,000+)

Sleep: Friday / Saturday night: 9.36 (5.47 deep, 3.49 light)

workout streak: 21 days (prior streak 29 days)

Saturday - 12/08/18. chest, ab training; 45 elliptical; 45 treadmill (walking). m-t-d workouts: 8/8. 10 exercises / 52 sets / 769 reps. Abs: 2 exercises / 10 sets / 475 reps. Last night, I slept almost double what I normally sleep, and a good percentage was deep sleep. Today there was a sign on the sauna, closed for maintenance on 12/7 &12/8. It worked yesterday morning, which was 12/7, but no such luck today. I hope it is working tomorrow (didn't see anyone doing any maintenance on it when I was there today). I am done lifting, and only have 2,700 steps. Since I wasn't spending 30 minutes in the sauna today, I had extra time for cardio. The steps seemed to accumulate very slowly today, First I wanted to reach 7,000 steps before I left. Buy when I got to 7,000 I was thinking that leaves at least 6,250 the rest of the day, which is still a lot of steps to do. So I bit the bullet, and continued doing cardio so that I pretty much reached the goal before I left the gym today (have over 14,000 now). I had to reach the goal, since the watch every once in a while will give you a tidbit of information (randomly). One day on the screen it told me that Saturday was my day of the week with the least steps. After that, I am on a mission to prove the watch wrong.:) Lifting was a little weak today, don't know why, slept good, and I ate a lot yesterday. Tomorrow most likely back training.

Friday Nutrition: 3,906 calories

Carbs: 549 56%
    Protein: 165 17%
    Fat: 136 31%
    Total: 104%
    sodium: 4858

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 4.03; w-t-d: 6.88; m-t-d: 13.70

Steps yesterday: 16,079; 13 day average 15,383 (goal to average 14,000+)

Sleep: Sat / Sun: 3.30 (1.50 deep, 1.40 light) - Incorrect, slept at least 3 hours more.

workout streak: 23 days (prior streak 29 days)

Sun - 12/09/18. back, ab training; 60 treadmill (walking). Sauna: 30 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 9/9. 8 exercises / 47 sets / 605 reps. Abs: 2 exercises / 6 sets / 400 reps. I don't have my workout log with me, so the sets and reps are a best estimate. It is in my car, but I don't feel like walking to the car to retrieve. I might need to adjust tomorrow. Tomorrow will be a day of fasting. No leaf raking yesterday or today. I am too tired, and it is too cold. I plan on taking a day or two off from work this week, hopefully I will get to it then. During my workout today, something happened to my left shoulder. It doesn't hurt, but it doesn't feel normal. It happened after the 6th exercise, yet I continued to finish on what I planned (2 additional exercises). I probably should have stopped after I realized something didn't feel right. I can use a day of rest from lifting, so tomorrow will be a cardio workout.

Sat Nutrition: 3,544 calories

Carbs: 619 70%
    Protein: 120 14%
    Fat: 72 18%
    Total: 102%
    sodium: 5716

9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 1.22; w-t-d: 8.10; m-t-d: 14.92

Steps yesterday: 15,956; 14 day average 15,424 (goal to average 15,000+)

Sleep: Sun / Mon: 5.47 (2.43 deep, 3.04 light)

workout streak: 24 days (prior streak 29 days)

Mon - 12/10/18. 60 elliptical; 20 treadmill (walking). Sauna: 25 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 10/10. I already reached step goal, and I didn't even go for my lunchtime walk yet. Shoulder feels back to normal, so I will be able to lift tomorrow. Coincidentally, the calories for yesterday and the day before were exactly the same, yet I ate totally different foods. Like I mentioned yesterday, I am fasting today. I was planning only on black coffee, but out of habit added the milk and splenda before I remembered, so it is more of a typical fast (not the real thing). Also I had the after workout Power Bar at about 6:30 am. At the time I ate it, I was thinking, you better enjoy this, nothing else until 12:01 am (at the earliest). I don't plan on waking up at 12:01 to eat something, but I wouldn't rule it out. Tomorrow: shoulder training.

Sun Nutrition: 3,544 calories

Carbs: 394 44%
    Protein: 274 25%
    Fat: 98 25%
    Total: 100%
    sodium: 3453

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad your shoulder is feeling better and, yes, my current commute is much better than the one 30 years ago.

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you. I envy your commute. :)

Running / walking today: 0.00; w-t-d: 8.10; m-t-d: 14.92

Steps yesterday: 20,969; 15 day average 15,794 (goal to average 15,000+)

Sleep: Mon / Tues: 6.10 (2.40 deep, 3.30 light)

workout streak: 25 days (prior streak 29 days)

Tues - 12/11/18. shoulders, triceps. Sauna: 30 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 11/11. 10 exercises / 52 sets / 605 reps. The morning after I fast, I expect a low energy workout. Not today, excellent workout. For dips, I am up to body weight +17.50 pounds. Again, like the last time I fasted, I broke the fast with 2 Pop Tarts. This time though, I had them before I left for the gym this morning (not at 12:01 am). When they talk of processed food, Pop Tarts are exactly what they mean. Nevertheless, I love to eat them. I don't think it is a problem, unless I ate them a lot. I just seem to eat them after fasting nowadays. I plan on another fast day this week, probably Thursday, but possibly tomorrow. I might want to get it over with. If I was at home, I could never fast. But I leave for the gym about 4:50 am, and don't get home until about 7:30 pm. When I am at work, I am occupied, and don't think about food. By the time I get home, I am so tired from waking up so early (4:15 am), that the time between 7:30 pm, and about 9:30 pm, is the only difficult part (yesterday wasn't that difficult). Then sleep takes over. Tomorrow: cardio.

Mon Nutrition: 784 calories

Carbs: 138 70%
    Protein: 22 11%
    Fat: 19 22%
    Total: 103%
    sodium: 653

#7671 Shamie, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes, I have a sweet commute. Even more so given all the mass transit issues of late.

I haven't had a Pop Tart in ages; my favorite was always Brown Sugar Cinnamon. Do you have one that you gravitate to?

Lastly, nice going with the weighted dips! :tucool:

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you. No favorite for the Pop Tarts. I think the reason I like them is that it brings back memories from when I was young.

I was thinking of your commute, on my trip back home yesterday, when I was the last to board the bus, and was squished on the back seat of the bus with 4 other people. :(

Running / walking today: 1.22; w-t-d: 9.32; m-t-d: 16.14

Steps yesterday: 13,605; 16 day average 15,657 (goal to average 15,000+)

Sleep: Tuesday / Weds: 5.53 (3.12 deep, 2.41 light)

workout streak: 26 days (prior streak 29 days)

Weds - 12/12/18. 60 elliptical; 20 treadmill. Sauna: 25 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 12/12. Today is going to be a fasting day. I had planned on Thursday, but I am off from work on Thursday, and like I wrote yesterday, fasting is much easier done when I am working. This month, at Panera, I get a free bagel everyday in December. I passed Panera this morning, and picked up a bagel, and it is sitting in my backpack. I hope it continues to sit there until tomorrow. :) It will be stale tomorrow, but I like bagels toasted, so it doesn't matter. I already reached the step goal for today. Yesterday was a different story, and I had to walk in the mall near where I park my car after work until I put on almost 5,000 steps. As Christmas is getting closer, the mall is getting more crowded, and it is not as easy to walk at a fast pace, but it is more cheerful then walking around a deserted mall. A few weeks ago, I mentioned they started parking Tesla's where I used to park to pick up the bus for my commute to NYC. There easily must be 300 Tesla's parked there. Now, in addition to the cars parked there, they are parking them at the mall also, about 100 cars there. Either they expect a big demand in December (you have to pick up car in Dec to get the Federal Tax credit of $7,500, then it decreases to a lesser amount), or it is a scam, and the cars are not selling as well as they say, and they are building them with no buyers.:confused: Tomorrow I plan on back training.

Tuesday Nutrition: 3903 calories

Carbs: 599 61%
    Protein: 171 18%
    Fat: 91 21%
    Total: 100%
    sodium: 3399

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The ONLY thing I miss about mass commuting is that I used to read for pleasure on the way home. It took me a while to get in a rhythm with that when I started working from home and the amount of non professional reading I did dropped initially, but I had no issue adjusting to reading the newspaper in the morning.

Interesting observation about the Teslas. As I'm sure you know the company and Musk have been in the news a lot and recently have started to meet their production goals for the 3, but I think many people are jaded from missed deliveries dates and poor initial product quality.

15. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Way to go with the weighted dips!

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Actually I have you to thank for it, it never occurred to me to try weighted dips until you mentioned it in your thread. Thank you.

I relate to what you wrote about reading while commuting. I was on a good streak for quite a while reading books, until about the last month or so. I keep falling asleep both ways. This week, I have been trying to just stay awake the whole time I am on the bus, which in itself is quite the challenge. I haven't been fully successful yet.:(

As for Tesla, I hope they succeed. The challenge for them will be to see if people still buy the cars at the rate they have been buying them, when the government subsidy goes down or is eliminated. The stock popped recently, when Trump said he is going to get rid of subsidies on electric vehicles. Now, they will be at a disadvantage, as the other automakers haven't reached their sales limit, they still have the full subsidy. But if Trump got rid of the subsidy for every automaker, it would put Tesla on an even playing field with the other auto makers (who haven't as yet been successful making EV's).

Running / walking today: 1.85 (estimated); w-t-d: 11.17; m-t-d: 17.89

Steps yesterday: 22,585; 17 day average 16,065 (goal to average 15,000+)

Sleep: Weds / Thurs: 7.59 (4.29 deep, 3.30 light)

workout streak: 27 days (prior streak 29 days)

Thurs - 12/13/18. back; abs, 30 treadmill (walking); Sauna: 30 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 13/13. 7 exercises / 45 sets / 595 reps. Abs: 1 exercise / 3 sets / 270 reps. Yesterday's fast day went pretty well. I wasn't really that hungry at all during the day. Now I am free until Monday, and can eat what I want (within limits). Today was the first time I forgot to write down my mileage after going on the treadmill. Maybe I am getting earIy onset Alzheimer's. :confused: Today after walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes, I only left the gym with about 7,000 steps. So I had to walk in Home Depot, Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond & TJ Maxx (all located near each other). I am becoming quite the shopper (who doesn't buy anything). I would like to buy an Air Fryer, but I think it would be a mistake, and either would cause me to eat more carbs (i.e. French Fries), or not use it and it would take up real estate on my kitchen counter top (for no reason). So most likely there will be no Air Fryer in my future. Walking in Bed Bath & Beyond (or watching infomercials on TV), there is an amazing amount of small kitchen appliances that you can buy. I wonder how many people who buy these things actually use them. Me thinks in 2-3 years, there will be many Air Fryers and Instant Pots in garage sales.:) Tomorrow I plan on leg training.

Weds Nutrition: 584 calories

Carbs: 94 68%
    Protein: 7 5%
    Fat: 15 24%
    Total: 97%
    sodium: 453

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Last holiday season either wifey or the kids bought me a Delonghi multi air fryer cooker. I don't use it very often, but will state that it works great when I bring it up from the basement.

Lots of steps yesterday! :tucool:

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yes, steps are easier to accumulate on the days I do cardio at the gym. Thank you.

Running / walking today: 0.00; w-t-d: 11.17; m-t-d: 17.89

Steps yesterday: 13,803; 18 day average 15,951 (goal to average 15,000+)

Sleep: Thurs / Friday : 6.33 (3.55 deep, 2.38 light)

workout streak: 28 days (prior streak 29 days)

Friday - 12/14/18. leg training; Sauna: 30 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 14/14. 8 exercises / 47 sets / 590 reps. Tomorrow I hope to train chest. I plan on a weight check in on the scale, and measurements tomorrow. Short on time today. TGIF.

Thurs Nutrition: 3405 calories

Carbs: 402 47%
    Protein: 19%
    Fat: 131 35%
    Total: 101%
    sodium: 2217

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 4.00; w-t-d: 4.00; m-t-d: 21.89

Steps yesterday: 14,633; 19 day average 15,882 (goal to average 15,000+)

Sleep: Friday / Sat: 7.57 (5.01deep, 2.56 light)

workout streak: 29 days (prior streak 29 days)

Sat - 12/15/18. chest, ab training, 65 minutes treadmill (walking); Sauna: 30 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 15/15. 10 exercises / 54 sets / 776 reps. Abs: 1 exercise / 5 sets / 200 reps. Had my teeth cleaned this morning. Dental hygienist after cleaning tells me that I am doing an excellent job brushing my teeth. The dentist comes in, tells me how my gums are receding, and I need to see a periodontist.:confused: I made an appointment in January, but I am going to cancel. After I left, it occurred to me that this will be an expensive proposition (most likely), and dental insurance only covers a max of $1,500 per year. So it would be better to time the visits towards the end of next year, so I can use the 2019 and also the 2020 coverage to cover the expense. I don't think it is something that needs immediate attention, as I have been going to him, and he never mentioned it before (me really thinks he wants a new BMW, and gets a cutback from the periodontist).:nod: Today I decided I would not leave the gym until I reached my step goal (which I did). On the bright side, I weighed 192.80 today, which is exactly 2 pounds less than the start of 2018. I would like to end the year 190 or less. I think the combination of fasting 2 days a week, and the increase in steps is having an affect. Measurements were the same as 2 weeks ago, but calfs are shrinking, since I no longer do seated calf raises (due to heel issue). Tomorrow I hope to train back / abs.

Friday nutrition: 3661 calories

Carbs: 601 66% (too high)
    Protein: 81 9% (too low)
    Fat: 129 32%
    Total: 107%
    sodium: 3121

#7679 Shamie, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  20. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You're on a roll with your streak, way to go.