1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yes. I think I am going to stop wearing the Garmin watch in the sauna. The heat probably is not good for it, though I don't think it is related to this issue.

I didn't know there were updates to do on it. I am going to check that out. Thank you.

Running / walking today: 0.00; w-t-d: 5.00; m-t-d: 22.95

Steps yesterday: 14,381 (goal 12,500) - streak of 25 days of meeting or exceeding goal steps.

Sleep: Tues / Weds night: 6.05 (2.30 deep, 3.35 light).

workout streak: 15 days (prior streak 11 days)

Weds - 10/31/18. shoulders; triceps. Sauna: 25 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 29/31. 10 exercises / 50 sets / 560 reps. Today, thinking some parents would take off from work for Halloween, I tried the park & ride, and got a spot. :) Where I normally park, all of a sudden, they put chains on that lot, and I had to park further away. Then one day, the lot was filled with new Tesla's. Which was funny, because about a week ago, I went to Tesla dealer nearby, and it was so filled with cars, I couldn't get a spot and had to leave. I wanted to see if they had the model 3 I could look at. The lot where I formerly parked was filled with model S's, and some model X's (no model 3's). Then at the start of this week, all of the Tesla's were gone, they moved them nearby to a more secluded area, and now I can go back to where I was parking.:) That is my indicator not to buy Tesla stock (but what do I know), due to the high inventory of car's, and the phasing out of the $7,500 tax credit. You were guaranteed the credit if you ordered by 10/15 (except for model 3), but will most likely get the tax credit if you take delivery by 12/31.

I am done with my October spending challenge, summary of spending.

91.35 Food (in a normal month, I spend about $225 on food)
    23.00 Nutritional Supplements
    12.00 Lottery
    2.65 Misc.

129.00 total (not counting gasoline, hair cut & returns from Sept).

Of course the above doesn't include my major expenses, such as house, auto, insurance, repairs etc.

Tues nutrition: 3,296

Carbs: 392 48%
    Protein: 178 22%
    Fat: 126 34%
    Total: 104%
    sodium: 4870

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct.

#7601 Shamie, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  2. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on the spending challenge! That's impressive.

Jaer
    was curious: Does your Garmin require a satellite GPS signal to work? Could be that in a Wegman's, the signal was not clear.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You can certainly categorize you October challenge as a success. :tucool:

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you. Like I wrote below, I want to buy less stuff. I could never be a minimalist, but I would like to move in that direction.

It has GPS, but I don't think it uses it for the steps. I did check, it does software updates automatically. Thank you about the challenge. My intent is to buy less stuff. Americans as a whole, we buy too much stuff (me included).

Running / walking today: 0.00; w-t-d: 5.00; m-t-d: 0.00

Steps yesterday: 15,348 (goal 12,500) - streak of 26 days of meeting or exceeding goal steps.

Sleep: Weds / Thurs night: 4.17 (2.41 deep, 1.36 light) - incorrect, slept about 2 hours more

workout streak: 16 days (prior streak 11 days)

Thurs - 11/01/18. back; abs. Sauna: 25 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 1/1. 6 exercises / 36 sets / 497 reps. Abs: 1 exercise / 3 sets / 150 reps. Yesterday I mentioned Tesla, I am not looking to buy a new car. I was just curious about what it looks like. I was planning on 1 hour on the elliptical, changed to lifting once I got there. Didn't feel like spending 1 hour on the elliptical today. I had planned on running in a 5K race on Saturday, but decided against it. It is supposed to rain Saturday morning, and I think I need the rest before Sunday. Tomorrow they have a meetup of the people who ran 15+ NYC marathons. I am going to that, and later at night they are having fireworks in Central Park for the marathon. Last year they had the same thing, and it was really nice, but it is supposed to rain hard on Friday night, so I probably I will skip the fireworks, since it probably will be cancelled anyway. Tomorrow leg training, or cardio.

In all of my years of commuting to NYC, I never lost my monthly pass. That is until Sunday. I went to NYC on Sunday using my pass, I had it when I got on the bus for the return trip. I was off from work Monday, then I went to use it on Tuesday and I didn't have it. I thought I left it home, but when I got home, I could not locate it. But if I was going to lose it, it was a good time, since it was the end of the month, and I only had to pay for 2 days of commuting. With the bus pass, was $20 and some change, a few debit and credit cards, and a flash drive. If anyone found it, it had my business card in it, so they could contact me. I have been checking the credit cards, and none have been used. I think most of them were old, and past the expiration date on the card. I still have hope it might be in my house or car (if I checked thoroughly). The flash drive had stuff I would not like to lose (nothing vital though), and it wasn't backed up on my computer (lesson learned).

Weds nutrition: 3,070

Carbs: 305 40%
    Protein: 167 22%
    Fat: 140 41%
    Total: 103%
    sodium: 2230

#7604 Shamie, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I hope you find everything.

6. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Hope you find the missing items. Too late for the bus pass but finding the debit and credit cards would be good.

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you. I haven't looked yet.

Thank you.

Running / walking today: 0.00; w-t-d: 0.00; m-t-d: 0.00

Steps Friday: 14,228 (goal 12,500) - streak of 27 days of meeting or exceeding goal steps.
    Steps yesterday: 25,552 (goal 12,500) - streak of 28 days of meeting or exceeding goal steps.

Sleep: Thurs / Fri night: 6.32 (3.10 deep, 3.22 light)
    Sleep: Friday / Sat night: 9.04 (2.18 deep, 6.46 light)
    workout streak: 18 days (prior streak 11 days)

Friday - 11/02/18. legs. Sauna: 25 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 2/2. 8 exercises / 45 sets / 534 reps. Yesterday I went to the marathon expo, and picked up my number, and walked around the Expo for a while. Then I walked to Central Park, to go the meetup of the streakers (15+ NYC marathons). This will be my 19th NYC marathon. There were people there who ran every one from 1976. Everyone's complaint, slowing down with age. You can guess it wasn't a very young crowd, if there were people there who ran 40+ NYC marathons.:) In fact, they gave out booklets to consider them in your estate planning, or buying a life insurance policy, with them as the beneficiary.:lol: I was so tired when I got home, I fell asleep soon after getting home.

Saturday - 11/03/18. chest; abs. Sauna: 30 / cold shower / 15. m-t-d workouts: 3/3. 10 exercises / 52 sets / 717 reps. Abs: 2 exercises / 10 sets / 450 reps. Skipped 5K today, due to rain in the morning, and I didn't want to tire myself out, not just the race, but the commute to and from NYC. I had an excellent chest training day today. While I was on the incline bench press between sets, I was watching someone on shoulder press machine. He wasn't huge, he was shoulder pressing 400lbs (5 reps each time):eek:. To put it in perspective, I can shoulder press 140lbs. I am totally unprepared for the race tomorrow. As soon as I am done here, I have to go home and get ready. I have to find that fanny pack that is MIA (notice a trend). I was tempted to buy one at the Expo yesterday, but I hate to buy things that I already have, that due to my carelessness, I can't find. I am pretty sure I already have two. Also, I have to find my running gloves, and compile everything I am taking. I have to decide what I will be wearing (socks, hat, shirt etc). If I can't find the waist pack, I am going to wear a jacket during the race that has zipped pockets (I am going to wear that regardless). But I would like to find the fanny pack, since if it gets hot, I won't be able to discard the jacket during the race if I am not wearing the fanny pack. Someone at the meetup yesterday, told me there is no longer a time limit to finish, they record every time until the last person finishes. I don't know if that is accurate, but I hope so.

Thurs nutrition: 2942

Carbs: 270 38%
    Protein: 167 23%
    Fat: 140 43%
    sodium: 2323

Friday nutrition: 3632

Carbs: 347 38%
    Protein: 197 22%
    Fat: 171 42%
    Total: 102%
    sodium: 3223

#7607 Shamie, Nov 3, 2018
  8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Run well!

9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you, but see below.

Steps yesterday: 14,755 (goal 12,500) - streak of 29 days of meeting or exceeding goal steps.

Sleep: Sat / Sun night: 0.00 (0.00 deep, 0.00 light) - not available, took off watch last night to recharge, forgot to put it back on.

workout streak: 19 days (prior streak 11 days)

Sunday - 11/04/18. back; abs. Sauna: 30 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 4/4. 8 exercises / 43 sets / 610 reps. Abs: 2 exercises / 7 sets / 420 reps. As you might guess, if you are reading this soon after I posted this, I didn't run in the marathon today.:( (I probably would still be in Brooklyn). I didn't make that decision lightly, since I took a space up, that if I didn't register, someone could have participated in the race who didn't get in the lottery and wanted to run. I woke up at 3:00 am, fully intending to go. I got everything ready last night, I drank a cup of coffee, and got dressed for the race. Last night, I gave in, and bought a fanny pack, and running gloves. I zipped up the jacket that I was going to wear, and the zipper was broken. It worked on the race last Sunday, but stupid me put in the washing machine, and now it didn't work. I took that as a sign I shouldn't race ((just kidding (partially)). I had other stuff I could have worn. I kept thinking, what is the point of participating if I wasn't prepared, I would have ended up walking much of the race. I think it was the right decision, but today is such a nice day, perfect running weather, not windy, not too cold, and the sun is shining. Hopefully by next year I will resolve this issue with my heel. I always thought when I couldn't run anymore, I wouldn't miss it, but that is not entirely true.

Today I trained my back / abs. I trained my back just this past Thursday, I probably should have waited until tomorrow. I took off tomorrow from work, to recuperate from the race.:o I am still not wearing my Garmin, so I don't have any steps taken today yet. It will be a challenge to reach 12,500 today. When I am done here, I am going home to plant some bulbs, if they don't get planted by tomorrow, I will have to return them to the store. It is a lot of them, I bought them at Costco, and it is in a supersized Costco package. I got shamed by a neighbor for being so lazy about 2 months ago. Over a year ago, I bought bags and bags of top soil. I bought them to fill in 2 areas where trees were cut down, and the ground sunk where the trees were. This neighbor one day asked me if he could buy the bags of top soil from me, since I had them so long unused.:o I told him I needed them. That got me to finally open the bags, and fill in the area. As it turned out, I didn't have enough bags, and had to buy about 10 more. Then I planted grass, and now the area is flat, the grass grew in, and it looks great. I was always worried that someone walking on my lawn might not realize the ground sunk and would trip and get injured (it had happened to me, but I didn't get injured). So shaming sometimes is not such a bad thing, it got me moving. More than likely, if he never said anything, the bags would be sitting where they were unopened. Tomorrow I plan some sort of cardio.

Sat nutrition: 3984 (I ate a lot to gas up for the marathon - that never happened).

Carbs: 492 49%
    Protein: 207 21%
    Fat: 134 30%
    Total: 100%
    sodium: 3388

#7609 Shamie, Nov 4, 2018
  10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry to read that you weren't able to compete.

11. macdiver

While I would have enjoyed seeing you again, I think you made the right decision. The second half is a tough course and I saw too many runners suffering. It would not have been enjoyable for you given the circumstances.

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yes. Thank you.

Thank you.

Steps yesterday: not available (goal 13,000) - streak of 0 days of meeting or exceeding goal steps (prior streak 29 days).

Sleep: Sun / Mon night: 5.52 (3.05 deep, 2.47 light)

workout streak: 20 days (prior streak 11 days)

Mon - 11/05/18. 60 elliptical. Sauna: 30 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 5/5. My streak of 12,500+ steps is over. Since I didn't start wearing the Garmin watch until 5:00 pm, it showed less than 12,500 steps. I didn't want to estimate the steps before I put the watch on. Penalty for not reaching goal: new goal is 13,000 steps (+500). I turned on the tv this morning, and the weather came on, and they said rain today. That would have ruined my plans for planting the bulbs. So at about 7:30 am, I went outside, and got the ground ready. It was difficult, since there were bushes there before, there were a ton of roots to remove. I did about 1/2 yesterday, and the other half today. When I finished that, it started to rain. If the rain didn't start, I would have planted the bulbs today. The hard part is over, now on the weekend I can plant the bulbs, which hopefully won't take long. I bought 2 packages of red tulips (100), a package of daffodils (90), and crocuses (100) - the amounts are from memory. It felt good to accomplish something, even though the job is not complete. I hate those solar lights that people put in their garden or along walkways, but nevertheless that is what I want to buy, but I might wait until Spring. I think they look cheap looking, but I like the light they give off, so when I am not home, the house looks more lived in. Since I no longer are under the October challenge of buying things, I bought a planter of mums for the front porch, again to make the house looked lived in. Tomorrow I plan to train shoulders.

Back to work tomorrow. I was off Friday from work also, when I went to look at my office email on Sunday, there was some bad news. An employee in the office died. It was very sad, the women was between 40-45, Hawaiian. Her husband died a few years ago, and is leaving behind a teenage daughter. It must have been a heart attack or something like that, as she was in the office last week.

Sun nutrition: (don't have info with me)

Carbs: %
    Protein: %
    Fat: %
    Total: %
    sodium:

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's very sad about your co-worker. It must be devastating for the daughter to lose both parents at such a young age.

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yes. Very sad, I was told today she recently turned 50. Lucky for the daughter she has an aunt & uncle who live close by to her.

Steps yesterday: 16,112 (goal 13,000) - streak of 1 day of meeting or exceeding goal steps (prior streak 29 days).

Sleep: Mon / Tues night: 5.52 (4.15 deep, 1.37 light)

workout streak: 21 days (prior streak 11 days)

Tues - 11/06/18. shoulders; triceps; abs. Sauna: 25 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 6/6. 10 exercises / 50 sets / 560 reps. Abs: 1 exercise / 6 sets / 300 reps. Excellent workout today. Need to change workout routine. Part of me doesn't want to, since I have been injury free, but I have been doing the same thing for a while now. I have never done drop sets (consistently), and that is what I plan when I make the change. Tomorrow I plan cardio. Happy Election day.

Sun nutrition: 3988

Carbs: 466 47%
    Protein: 214 21%
    Fat: 155 35%
    sodium: 4058

Mon nutrition: 3366

Carbs: 386 46%
    Protein: 207 25%
    Fat: 124 33%
    sodium: 3286

15. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, sorry to read about your coworker. That is terrible!

Regarding the solar lights, I'm sure you could find less cheap-looking versions. Those types of things have such a wide range these days, you can probably get something that appeals to your taste.

Jaer
    has been slacking on yard work. Oh he keeps the grass cut and the bushes from getting too unruly, but the garden is looking bad and the needs to be redone. Though, once the current project is done, the back yard will need a complete overhaul, so he's waiting until then.

16. macdiver

Sorry to hear about your coworker. 50 is way too young.

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yes. Sadly, my employer doesn't provide life insurance. Which would have been beneficial for the daughter. The mother had an addtional part time job besides working here, so probably there was no life insurance.

That is a good idea about the solar lights. I thought they were basically all the same. When I visit my sisters house, 1/2 are not even lighting up. Planting bulbs are the lazy man's method of gardening. I like the idea that you plant them once, and then they come up every year. They typically never look as good after the first year, but they look acceptable. Thank you.

Steps yesterday: 8,449 (goal 13,000) - streak of 0 days of meeting or exceeding goal steps (prior streak 29 days).

Sleep: Tues / Weds night: 7.56 (3.23 deep, 4.33 light)

workout streak: 22 days (prior streak 11 days)

Weds - 11/07/18. 60 elliptical. Sauna: 25 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 7/7. Yesterday it was raining at lunchtime, so I didn't walk. Then I couldn't mall walk to compensate, because I had to get home to vote, so I failed to reach step goal. I am eating way too much, but if I do fast on Friday, that will compensate. The cause are potatoes, it was a mistake to buy russet potatoes, 2 bags of 5 lbs. Eating 1/5 of a bag each day (1 pound) is about 310 calories. And what are baked potatoes without butter, that is another 100 calories (1 tablespoon). Even though I slept 8 hours, I woke up tired, and decided to take a rest day. But soon changed my mind since I already broke my step streak, I could not yet give up the workout streak. I had a pretty good workout on the elliptical. It is the elliptical (made by Matrix), where you don't move your arms. I do not hold onto the bars for balance, so I think that makes it a bit harder. My pulse went from low 100's to low 120's, which was better than usual. Usually I can't get it above 100. I was watching a youtube video by Vitruvian physique. I recently started watching his video's. My critique of him, is that his video's are a bit too long (25-30 minutes), and he has a hammy personality, but he provides good information (about 10 minutes worth of the 25 minute video). But since it is free information, I should not be complaining.:o He was talking about genetics / bone structure for weight lifting / body building, and it was informational. He has done a few video's on the topic. Tomorrow back training.

Tues nutrition: 3973

Carbs: 471 41%
    Protein: 209 27%
    Fat: 160 36 %
    sodium: 6132 (Wegman's hot food bar - Asian Salmon - was the cause for the high sodium).

#7617 Shamie, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  18. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You've been saunaing (yeah, I verbed that noun) for a long time--and you hang in there for decent amount of time (I'm only staying 10 minutes). Have you noticed any improvement/benefit other than just enjoyment? I like taking the time to sit and...um...cool down?...after a workout. It certainly feels like there is a difference when I leave the gym.

Jaer
    has only saunaed twice, now, so grains a salt about anything he says regarding them.

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I just moved up from 20 to 25 minutes about a week or two ago. I started very slowly, 5 minutes was tough at first. Maybe because I do it almost everyday, I don't notice any difference in how I feel or recovery. I always feel the same though. People say, I quit eating junk food, and now I feel great or similar type of things. I feel the same regardless of what I eat, or what I do. :)

Steps yesterday: 14,894 (goal 13,000) - streak of 1 day of meeting or exceeding goal steps (prior streak 29 days).

Sleep: Weds / Thurs night: 6.23 (2.23 deep, 4.00 light)

workout streak: 23 days (prior streak 11 days)

Thurs - 11/08/18. back, ab training. Sauna: 25 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 8/8. 6 exercises / 34 sets / 462 reps. Abs: 1 exercise / 3 sets / 255 reps. I have been focusing on chin ups (assisted) in my back training. Today I did 1x25 @ 45lbs; 2x25 40lbs, 2x25 35lbs, 1x25 30lbs, 1x12 25lbs. Today I also tried non assisted chin ups. I was able to do 4, but not the best form. I was able to pull myself up, but I was swinging too much. But I noticed doing the assisted chin ups, that once I got to 25lbs, it doesn't feel like any assist, so I should be able to do non assisted chin ups. Tomorrow is a fasting day, and leg training.

Weds nutrition: 3628

Carbs: 449 50%
    Protein: 179 20%
    Fat: 135 33 %
    sodium: 2615

20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Steps yesterday: 13,820 (goal 13,000) - streak of 2 days of meeting or exceeding goal steps (prior streak 29 days).

Sleep: Thurs / Fri night: 6.04 (2.47 deep, 3.17 light)

workout streak: 24 days (prior streak 11 days)

Friday - 11/09/18. leg training. Sauna: 30 minutes. m-t-d workouts: 9/9. 8 exercises / 42 sets / 505 reps. I hate to be considered a gym rat, and worse than that, a sauna rat. My only hope is that most people are not as that consistent as me, so they don't know I am there almost everyday. I have a new sauna routine. There was this guy who came in a few times, and instead of sitting like 99% of the people, he instead stood on the bench, so his head is almost near the ceiling. I asked him why he did this, he said it is better for his sinuses. So I tried this, and it definitely is hotter up there (heat rises). So I have been alternating 3 minutes standing on the bench, then 2 minutes sitting. What I like about it, it makes the time go so much faster. The 2 minutes you are sitting, goes by in what feels like 30 seconds. Also, it makes you sweat more. Today is a fast day for me, though to honest a modified fast day. I am drinking coffee with milk & splenda, and I did have a Power Bar after working out. I actually will be fasting for 24 hours, since I had the Power Bar at about 6:45 am, and won't be having anything until the next day after 7:00 am (except coffee). Tomorrow is chest training.

Thurs nutrition: 3552

Carbs: 424 48%
    Protein: 175 20%
    Fat: 136 34 %
    Total: 102%
    sodium: 2360