1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I do a lot of training / cardio in order to be able to eat those calories. I probably pick the wrong foods to eat, since it doesn't feel like a lot of food. Just nuts and trail mix that I eat each day are approximately 830 calories, roughly 25% of total calories.

Running / walking today: 0.00; w-t-d: 13.51; m-t-d: 27.38

Steps yesterday: 25,503
    days in a row steps over 10,000: 22
    Sleep Tues - Weds 7.46 (2.04 deep, 5.42 light)
    workout streak: 0 days (prior streak 34 days)

Weds - 7/11/18. rest day. m-t-d workouts: 10/11. I woke up thinking I am going to treat myself to a rest day, so that is what I did. It hardly seems worth it, since the extra 2 hours of sleep goes by in what feels like 5 minutes. Tomorrow I am most likely running, or doing the back training that I was scheduled to do today. About 2-3 months ago, I lost my eyeglasses. Then the frame on the spare pair broke, and luckily they still sold the same frame, so that was an easy fix. Yesterday, I found the pair that was missing. I was very happy, since I see better in those glasses, even though they are the exact same prescription as the other pair. I had thought I accidentally threw them out, and I was never going to see them again. Recently my Costco credit card was missing in action for 2 weeks before I found it. Since then, I am trying to be much more diligent of where I place things. Instead of haphazardly placing things down, and then not remembering where I put them. The best thing I ever bought was a key hook that I hung in the entry way when I enter my house. I never lose my keys anymore, and saved hours and hours of time looking for them.

Day #9

Tues nutrition: 3300

Carbs: 378 46%
    Protein: 169 20%
    Fat: 131 36%
    Total: 100%
    sodium: 3190

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 6.22; w-t-d: 19.73; m-t-d: 33.60

Steps yesterday: 12,603
    days in a row steps over 10,000: 23
    Sleep Weds - Thurs 5.16 (2.33 deep, 2.43 light)
    workout streak: 1 days (prior streak 34 days)

Thurs - 7/12/18. 65 minutes treadmill; 20 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 11/12. Recent weight gain is not coming off as fast as expected. :( Tomorrow I plan to train legs. Saturday I am running in a 4 mile race. I finished reading the book "My Year of Running Dangerously" yesterday. The book got very good towards the end. When I read these type of books, I always wonder how much of it is true, and how much of what he writes is it to make it more interesting reading. For example, at around mile #40, he said decided to quit the race. Then he got himself to run through the pain, and finished the race. Did that really happen, or did he write that he decided to quit the race to make the book more interesting. In the locker room today, I hear the tail end of a conversation, that one of the guys was telling the other he is running in a 100 mile race this summer.:scared: He was not a young guy either, I would say late 40's or early 50's. If I see him again, I am going to ask him about it.

Day #10

Weds nutrition: 3060

Carbs: 350 46%
    Protein: 158 21%
    Fat: 121 36%
    Total: 103%
    sodium: 3020

#7442 Shamie, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    dejavued likes this.
  3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I can't respond to any literary license that may have been taken by the author, but I'm glad I was sitting down when I read that your fellow gym member is planning on running a 100 mile race. In the summer, no less. :ohnoes:

4. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I was watching an interview with this year's female winner of the Western States 100. She talked about being in the "pain cave" and then said at least I didn't sit down and have to talk myself into continuing this time. The interviewer asked does that really happen to you and her response was "most races"

I've read about other ultra runners who say similar things. So the author probably did feel that way.

Edited to add a link to the interview. For the record, I paraphrased above. While not exact, I was close. I love her description of sitting in a puddle splashing pitty on herself.

Courtney Dauwalter, 2018 Western States 100 Champion, Interview – iRunFar.com

Another edit.

In the interview they mention the female record holder, Ellie and that the temperature was perfect that year. The high was low 70's. Courtney was just a few minutes off the record and the high at the river crossing was 106. They also mention Tim Olsen when talking about the pain cave. Tim Olsen set the course record the same year as Ellie. This year Jim Walmsley broke the record by 15 minutes. The 106 was recorded when Jim crossed the river. In Jim Walmsley's finish line interview he says " Tim Olsen is an asshole, that hurt.".

On a personal note, the project director for the construction company on my California projects got into the Western States this year by qualifying 7 years in a row to get enough tickets to get in by the Lottery. He finish in just over 26 hours. His goal was to be under 24 but he said it was really hot and he is just happy he finished.

#7444 macdiver, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    dejavued likes this.
  5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I don't know where the race is, but he said he is driving there.

In the book, he mentions though in most races women don't win, they do relatively better in ultra runs then men. Since they can handle pain better (child birth), and they train better, since they don't have the ego of men. I don't know if that is true or not, but that is what he wrote. I will check the link out later. Thanks.

Running / walking today: 0.00; w-t-d: 19.73; m-t-d: 33.60

Steps yesterday: 21,618
    days in a row steps over 10,000: 24
    Sleep Thurs - Friday: 4.03 (2.05 deep, 1.58 light)
    workout streak: 2 days (prior streak 34 days)

Friday - 7/13/18. leg training. m-t-d workouts: 12/13. 11 exercises / 56 sets / 666 reps. I can believe today is Friday the 13th. :scared: I left my house late this morning, and then got stopped by the PoPo. There was a bus on the side of the road, and an SUV behind it, and a double yellow line in the road. I had thought the bus was disabled, since I saw the bus driver out of the bus. So I passed the bus. Then I see the police lights go off behind me (the SUV that was behind the bus was a police car). Long story short, he said he could have gave me an expensive 5 point ticket, but did not. :) So I got to the gym really late, but did the workout I intended, but had to sacrifice the sauna, so my sauna streak is over. In addition, I forgot my phone at home. :mad: Without the phone, I cannot update the steps or sleep above. Happy Friday.

Day #11

Thurs nutrition: 3530

Carbs: 407 46%
    Protein: 173 20%
    Fat: 144 37%
    sodium: 3300

#7445 Shamie, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 4:31 PM
  6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad you didn't get a ticket. Was the infraction that you crossed a double yellow line?

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yes. I am very glad I didn't get the ticket. Not only the cost of the ticket, but my auto insurance rates would skyrocket.

Running / walking today: 4.00; w-t-d: 4.00; m-t-d: 37.60

Steps yesterday: 8,228
    days in a row steps over 10,000: 0 (prior streak 24 days)
    Sleep Friday / Sat: 5 hours (1.51 deep, 3.09 light)
    workout streak: 3 days (prior streak 34 days)

Sat - 7/14/18. 4 mile race (10:55 per mile), 20 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 13/14. I ran a race in Central Park today. Kind of humid for me, since I run mostly indoors, I am not used to running in humidity. But I am glad I went. I almost didn't go. I wanted to catch the 6:20 am bus, so I would have to leave my house by 6:00. I was still in bed 5:45. I was doing a pretty good job of talking myself out of going. But I overcame my negativity, and took the next bus at 6:40. That bus was a bit chancy, since it was scheduled to get to NY at 7:14 (race starts 8:00 am). So if it was late, or there was traffic, I might have missed the race. It got to NY at about 7:20, and the walk to the race was about 25 minutes. So I cut it pretty close. My stepping streak is over, I just couldn't get myself to walk the 1,800 steps to reach 10,000 yesterday.:( My new goal is 12,000 per day. I am at the library next to the gym, and I am going to the pool shortly. Undecided if I will lift today (chest training). Tomorrow I hope to train back / abs.

Day #12

Friday nutrition: (don't have nutrition info with me).

Carbs: %
    Protein: %
    Fat: %
    Total: %
    sodium:

#7447 Shamie, Jul 14, 2018 at 4:25 PM
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018 at 10:14 PM
    dejavued likes this.
  8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00; w-t-d: 4.00; m-t-d: 37.60

Steps yesterday: 27,910
    days in a row steps over 10,000: 1 (prior streak 24 days)
    Sleep Sat / Sun: 5.37 hours (1.30 deep, 4.07 light)
    workout streak: 4 days (prior streak 34 days)
    sauna streak: 2 days (min 20 minutes)

Sun - 7/15/18. back; abs, 20 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 14/15. 8 exercises / 40 sets / 450 reps. abs: 1 exercise / 3 sets / 240 reps (3x 80 slant board). This gym had attachments that were part of 2 of the squat racks, that were for t-bar rows. Today they are no longer there.:mad: I am cancelling my membership at this gym anyway at the end of August so it is no big deal for me, but I am curious why they did this. Who were those attachments bothering? This morning I look at my Garmin watch, and it shows it is half charged. This is strange, since I charged it Friday at work, and the charge usually lasts a week. Then I don't think anything more about it. It is working fine like normal, I look at the time in the sauna, and it shows the time. 5 minutes later, the screen is blank, and stayed blank. When I get home I am going to charge it, so I won't have step numbers today. I wear it 24 hours a day, even in the sauna, which maybe wasn't the best idea.:confused: If I can't get it working, I have my old device that I can use temporarily, until this one is repaired. It is less than a year old, so it is under warranty. My right heel is bothering me, so no running today. If it feels the same tomorrow, I will train shoulders, if it is okay, I will run.

Day #12

Friday nutrition: 3430

Carbs: 418 49%
    Protein: 169 20%
    Fat: 131 34%
    sodium: 3170

Day #13

Sat nutrition: 3586

Carbs: 426 48%
    Protein: 163 18%
    Fat: 141 35%
    Total: 101%
    sodium: 3312

#7448 Shamie, Jul 15, 2018 at 3:12 PM
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018 at 10:12 PM
    dejavued likes this.
  9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 6.21; w-t-d: 10.21; m-t-d: 43.81

Steps yesterday:
    days in a row steps over 12,000:
    Sleep:
    workout streak: 5 days (prior streak 34 days)
    sauna streak: 3 days (min 20 minutes)

Mon - 7/16/18. 65 treadmill, 20 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 15/16. Garmin Vivoactive HR watch didn't work even after I charged it.:( Unfortunately, I thought I knew exactly where the old one was (Garmin VIvosmart HR), but it wasn't there, so I am without a step counter until I find the old one. I really shouldn't say old one, since right before I bought the current one, I send the old one to be repaired, and they sent back a new one, which I have never used. I hope I can locate it tonight. Even though my heel is still bothering me, I decided to run anyway. It didn't hurt when running. I am concerned about the heel, since I read that heel pain is another sign of deterioration from the psoriatic arthritis, so if that is the case, it won't be temporary pain, but pain I will have to deal with the rest of my life. Also, I will have to stop running. I would at least like to run the NYC marathon this year, since I have already registered and paid for that race. Tomorrow I plan to train shoulders.

Day #14

Sun nutrition: 3855

Carbs: 534 55%
    Protein: 173 18%
    Fat: 125 29%
    Total: 102%
    sodium: 3382

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Not to in any manner imply that I wouldn't have gone the self diagnosis route also, because I would have, but have you thought about have a medical pro check out your heel?

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

Hope you find your Garmin.

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you. I will bring it up on my next rheumatologist appointment.

Thank you. Didn't check for it last night. I got to say, that step tracker got me to walk more.

Running / walking today: 0.00; w-t-d: 10.21; m-t-d: 43.81

Steps yesterday:
    Sleep:
    workout streak: 6 days (prior streak 34 days)
    sauna streak: 4 days (min 20 minutes)

Tues - 7/17/18. shoulders; triceps; abs, 20 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 16/17. 9 exercises / 45 sets / 510 reps. Abs: 2 exercises / 5 sets / 340 reps. Gym put back the t-bar row attachments to the squat racks that they had removed.:) I guess others complained. Tomorrow I plan on back training. McDonalds has one pretty good sandwich - Artisian Grilled Chicken Sandwich (44 grams carbs; 37 grams protein; 7 grams fat; 1110 mg sodium). It is not the best tasting sandwich in the world, but it is tasty. I like the calorie level, and the macro's, though the sodium is a bit high for me. Tomorrow I plan on back training.

Day #15

Mon nutrition: 3821

Carbs: 437 46%
    Protein: 188 20%
    Fat: 154 36%
    Total: 102%
    sodium: 4178

#7452 Shamie, Jul 17, 2018 at 9:46 AM
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018 at 9:49 AM
  13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00; w-t-d: 10.21; m-t-d: 43.81

Steps yesterday:
    Sleep:
    workout streak: 7 days (prior streak 34 days)

Weds - 7/18/18. back training #2; abs. m-t-d workouts: 17/18. 5 exercises / 29 sets / 385 reps. Abs: 1 exercise / 2 sets / 160 reps. Even my sauna streak ended. Again, I felt light headed, so decided to call it quits after 1 minute. Even now, I don't feel 100% normal. I am sorry I went to work today. I am going to cut out the blood pressure medication completely, and see if I feel better, and see how my blood pressure level is without medication. It is funny that sometimes I feel like my blood pressure would be sky high, then I check it on the machine, and is normal, and sometimes even slightly below normal, like 115/67. Other times, I would bet it is normal, and it is 150/80 (which is high). Moral of the story "you can't judge blood pressure by how you feel". Tomorrow if I don't take a rest day, I am running.

Tues nutrition: 3876

Carbs: 509 53%
    Protein: 204 21%
    Fat: 128 30%
    Total: 104%
    sodium: 4837

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's the problem with high BP; it's pretty asymptomatic. I guess that's why it's called the silent killer because if you don't check it there's really no way of knowing you have it. Have you thought about reducing your sodium intake?

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I think about reducing my sodium intake everyday:) (but that is all I do, think about it). I know what you said is true, but I thought for myself I can tell when it is high, I guess not.

Running / walking today: 6.18; w-t-d: 16.39; m-t-d: 49.99

Steps yesterday:
    Sleep:
    workout streak: 8 days (prior streak 34 days)

Thurs - 7/19/18. 65 treadmill, 20 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 18/19. Calories and carbs have been higher than I would have liked recently, but this is the best time of year for fruit. I have been eating a pint of blueberries daily, and 30-40 Bing cherries a day, plus an apple (yesterday 2 apples). I feel better today, but still not 100%. Yesterday many times during the day I felt light headed, I am not even sure if that is the correct term, maybe more of a feeling of vertigo (I am not sure). I checked my blood pressure this morning, before going to the gym, it was 120/62, so I didn't take the blood pressure medication. But I got spooked today, yesterday I was listening to a podcast interview with Maria Menounos, who was talking about the brain tumor her mother had, and then when her mother was recuperating, they found a brain tumor in her. Then this morning, I am listening to the Adam Carolla podcast, and he is interviewing Jim Gaffigan, and he is talking about the brain tumor his wife had. Bryan Bishop is on the Adam Carolla show, and he also had a brain tumor. So maybe that is a sign. :confused: Tomorrow I hope to train legs.

Day #17

Weds nutrition: 3614

Carbs: 507 56%
    Protein: 154 17%
    Fat: 122 30%
    sodium: 3012

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

No brain tumors are allowed.

Hopefully the light headiness will clear up soon.