1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Back seat didn't work, I moved them to the front seat. :)

Sunday went out to eat, 3000 of the calories is an estimate of the meal. The meal wasn't the issue, but they had a salad bar, which had 3 types of pasta salad (which I love, and ate a ton of). I didn't even have dessert. Sodium was a guesstimate of 3,500 for the meal. I do better calculating calories and macro's when I eat at home.

Running / walking today: 3.14; w-t-d: 7.83; m-t-d: 31.82

Weds - 4/18/18. 40 minutes StairMaster; 30 minutes treadmill; 25 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 16/18. My legs have been bothering me, but felt fine today when I was running. Had I known, I would have skipped the StairMaster, and just ran. Had a good workout, tomorrow I hope to train back day #2, and 30-40 minutes of cardio. On the Adam Carolla podcast, he sometimes tells the listeners, the one thing the government is best at is collecting money. I filed my federal taxes by e-file on Monday, and the IRS deducted the amount I owed from my checking account yesterday. I didn't expect to owe so much money, so I didn't have that much money in my checking account. I transferred funds into that checking account, but they are not getting there until tomorrow. I didn't expect the IRS to take the money from my checking account until the end of the week at the earliest. Luckily I have overdraft checking, which I never used before, or the tax payment would have bounced.

Funny thing, I always get a spelling error message when I type stairmaster as one word. Finally today, I checked the internet for the correct spelling, and if it is one word or two. It is StairMaster (I never used the capitals before).

Here is the definition of StairMaster in the Urbandictonary.com:
    Urban Dictionary: Stairmaster

A legend who is known to have sexual intercourse under flights of stairs at John Marshal High School. :lol:

Tues nutrition: 2,557
    Carbs: 344 54%
    Protein: 87 14%
    Fat: 99 35%
    Total: 103%
    sodium: 1837 mg

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct.

#7321 Shamie, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    dejavued likes this.
  2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Eating out almost always lead to a guesstimate of what the breakdown one is consuming.

Regarding the IRS, I'm as surprised as you that the money was taken from your account the day after filing and likely would have been in the same situation.

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I was slightly wrong, I processed the return Monday, and when I looked at my bank account on Weds, it showed the payment was being processed Weds. Usually when I look it shows the day before activity, or I never noticed it showed what was being processed that day. The last 2 years, I filed the NJ return by mailing in the return. Both years, I got a love letter a few months after, telling me they received the return late, and charged interest and penalties for late filing. This is a scam, since both times I dropped it at the post office on the day before, and they are supposed to go by the postmark date. This year to avoid this, I filed the NJ return by e-file, even though it cost an extra $25.00. But the $25.00 is less than the penalties and interest. I use Turbotax, and you get to file the Federal, and one state by e-file for free, but I have to file 2 states, NY & NJ.

Running / walking today: 1.56; w-t-d: 9.39; m-t-d: 33.38

Steps yesterday: 17,088

Thurs - 4/19/18. back training #2, abs, 15 treadmill, 20 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 17/19. 4 exercises / 24 sets / 255 reps. Abs: 2 exercises / 4 sets / 250 reps (2x75 slant board abs; 2x50 cable crunches set @ 80lbs). I started listing the steps that I took the prior day. Maybe that will get me to walk more. Yesterday's was high, since I ran for 30 minutes, and I think that is about 5,000 steps. I try for 10,000 minimum. Tomorrow is leg training.

Weds nutrition: 2,407
    Carbs: 289 48%
    Protein:115 19%
    Fat: 101 38%
    Total: 104%
    sodium: 2019 mg

Merk likes this.
  4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00; w-t-d: 9.39; m-t-d: 33.38

Steps yesterday: 14.221

Fri - 4/20/18. leg training, 25 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 18/20. 9 exercises / 46 sets / 555 reps. Even though I didn't run today, I will probably make the 10,000 step goal. I will take a walk at lunch, and Sunday I am running in a 4 mile race, and after work I have to walk to 57th Street to pick up my shirt and number for the race. I work at 38th Street, so it is about a mile each way. Tomorrow I hope to train chest. TGIF.

Thurs nutrition: (forgot to bring with me)
    Carbs: %
    Protein:%
    Fat: %
    Total: %
    sodium: mg

Merk likes this.
  5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 2.10; w-t-d: 2.10; m-t-d: 35.48

Steps yesterday: 10.242

Sat - 4/21/18. chest; ab training, 20 treadmill (before lifting), 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 19/21. 9 exercises / 45 sets / 448 reps. Abs: 2 exercises / 12 sets / 750 reps (6x75 slant board abs; 6x50 cable crunches set @ 80lbs). I went to a stroke screening today, they took cholesterol, blood pressure. Both were high. Cholesterol was 224, HDL 66. HDL was okay, but cholesterol should be under 200. They didn't measure LDL. Blood pressure was high too, 154/80 and that is with medication. I don't like to give excuses, but I was rushing there for a 12:00 pm appointment, and I was late. I got lost driving there (with GPS), and then the exit I needed to get off was closed because a tractor trailer ended on its side while turning. So I was a bit frazzled when I got there, and first they took the blood for the cholesterol, which also got me nervous. I am going to take it tonight. Tomorrow I am running in a 4 mile race, and then if I feel okay, stopping by the gym to lift.

Thurs nutrition: 3012
    Carbs: 383 51%
    Protein: 163 22%
    Fat: 102 30%
    sodium: 2398 mg

Friday nutrition: 3003
    Carbs: 379 50%
    Protein: 65 9%
    Fat: 138 41%
    Total: 100%
    sodium: 1864 mg

#7325 Shamie, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sounds as if there were extenuating circumstances that affected your BP reading.

7. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Have a good race. 224 isn't too high. Hope your blood pressure will be lower at home

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

You are probably right, but I did not take the blood pressure yesterday or today yet.

Thank you.

Running / walking today: 4.00; w-t-d: 6.10; m-t-d: 39.48

Steps yesterday: 16,361

Sun - 4/22/18. back; ab training, 39 treadmill (before lifting), 15 minutes sauna (after running / before lifting), 30 minutes sauna (after lifting). m-t-d workouts: 20/22. 7 exercises / 38 sets / 415 reps. Abs: 1 exercise / 4 sets / 300 reps). I thought for sure if yesterday I wrote down in this journal about the race today, I would go, but that didn't happen.:( I kept on staying in bed, by the time I got ready, I would have missed the best bus to take. The one I would have ended up taking, would have gotten to NY at 7:52 (assuming it got there on time), and the race was at 8:30. It would have been tight, but I probably could have made it. If I really wanted to go, I would have been ready for the earlier bus. As a distant second to running in the race, I told myself I would run at the gym for 4 miles (same distance as the race). I knew it wouldn't happen after lifting, so I did it before. I was drenched when I was done, I didn't have an extra shirt or shorts. I tried to dry them in the sauna for 15 minutes, with little luck (that was the reason for the sauna before lifting). I was a bit worn out from running when I started lifting, but trudged through it one exercise at a time, and eventually I was done (and dry) by the end of the workout. Tomorrow I am going to train shoulders, or just cardio.

Sat nutrition: 3192
    Carbs: 411 52%
    Protein: 165 21%
    Fat: 109 31%
    sodium: 2453 mg

#7328 Shamie, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    dejavued likes this.
  9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 2.11; m-t-d: 6.11; m-t-d: 41.59

Steps yesterday: 11,500

Mon - 4/23/18. 45 minutes StairMaster, 20 treadmill, 25 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 21/23. April is flying by. Today, no coat to work, just a jacket. :) Even if it gets colder, no more coats for me until the fall at the earliest.:nod: When I was off on April 16th, I decided I would treat myself, and turn the heat up, and make the house warmer. Apparently, that shock to the heater was too much, and the heater broke (I should have left well enough alone). The furnace works, but it makes a clanking sound (I think it is the circulator). I haven't called to get it repaired yet, I am no rush, since the house is naturally warm now, in the low 60's. Hopefully he can come sometime next week, I have no hot water until it gets repaired. Tomorrow I hope to train shoulders.

Sun nutrition: 3092
    Carbs: 324 42%
    Protein: 196 25%
    Fat: 100 43%
    sodium: 2860 mg

#7329 Shamie, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What type of hot water heater do you have that it's so entwined with your heating system?

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Not sure what it is called.

Running / walking today: 0.00; m-t-d: 6.11; m-t-d: 41.59

Steps yesterday: 11,606

Tues - 4/24/18. rest day. m-t-d workouts: 21/24. I woke up tired, so I decided to take a rest day. It felt great to stay in bed until 5:50 am (about 2 hours extra). I left my house at 6:20, and got a spot in the park & ride for the first time in about 6 months (except for Fridays). Part of me wanted to go to the gym, so I could get to shower & use the sauna, since as I wrote yesterday that I have no hot water in my house. So no shower this morning, so don't get too close. :) Tomorrow I plan on getting the shoulder training done that I had planned for today.

Mon nutrition: 3451
    Carbs: 427 49%
    Protein: 191 22%
    Fat: 117 31%
    Total: 102%
    sodium: 2752 mg

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

My In-laws house has baseboard hot water radiators for heat. The oil fired "boiler" provides the hot water for both heating and for the sinks and showers. I think it is called a summer winter hookup system but that may just be the south Philly name.

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yes, it is like that. It is not instant hot water though, it has a water tank that is integrated with the heater. I never heard that term before "summer winter hookup system". I will find out the name for it.

Steps yesterday: 11,993

Weds - 4/25/18. shoulders; triceps, abs, 25 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 22/25. 9 exercises / 45 sets / 460 reps. Abs: 1 exercise - cable crunches - set at 80lbs (6 x 50 = 300 reps). Good workout today. I have to get more disciplined with food. In this office, they celebrate the employees who had birthdays during the month with a cake. I ate a big piece, and the next day I was thinking, I wonder what happened to the rest of the cake, it was a huge cake, and was less than half eaten. As I go into the office kitchen the next day, there is the cake. I ate 2 additional pieces. And they weren't small pieces, in fact one person even commented "that is a big piece".:o I estimated them at 500 calories each, but they could have been more. The cake was really sweet, like they type of cake you would have at a kids party, really rich icing.:eat: To compensate, I ate nothing else the rest of the day (this was sometime last week). It is not really healthy though to trade eating cake, instead of chicken, rice, fruit etc. I also need to stop buying so much food, if I had less food, I would eat less. Tomorrow I hope train back day #2, and some sort of cardio.

Tues nutrition: 3183
    Carbs: 362 46%
    Protein: 179 22%
    Fat: 122 35%
    sodium: 2350 mg

#7333 Shamie, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Steps yesterday: 11,935

Thurs - 4/26/18. back day #2, abs, 25 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 23/26. 4 exercises / 28 sets / 315 reps. Abs: 1 exercise / 5 sets / 375 reps (slant board crunches). Yesterday, like today, I didn't do any cardio at the gym, and when I got to my car after work, I only had slightly less than 8,500 steps showing on my watch (garmin vivoactive hr). So even though I was hungry, I walked around the regional mall that is next to where I park my car, and put on about 3,500 steps. I was tempted to stop at the Chick Fil A in the food court, but didn't. So in other words, it is helpful to list the steps here, since many times I have been under 10,000, and don't give it a second thought about not reaching 10,000. I have been having very itchy skin, I was thinking maybe it was due to the Wegmans laundry detergent that I recently started using. But when I took a rest day earlier in the week and didn't shower, my skin didn't itch that day. So now I am thinking it is the liquid soap at the gym (maybe they changed brands). So maybe it is one, both, or neither. So today, while I did shower, I didn't use any soap or shampoo. No cardio today, because I got to the gym late, and my joints hurt today (maybe from the damp weather we had yesterday). Tomorrow I hope to train legs.

Weds nutrition: 3094
    Carbs: 340 44%
    Protein: 189 24%
    Fat: 123 36%
    sodium: 2358 mg

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Steps yesterday: 15,401

Friday - 4/27/18. leg training, 25 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 24/27. 9 exercises / 47 sets / 560 reps. Tomorrow I hope to train chest. Hopefully I can get myself to do some cardio also. Happy Friday.

Thurs nutrition: 3214
    Carbs: 351 44%
    Protein: 194 24%
    Fat: 126 35%
    sodium: 2744 mg

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 2.11; m-t-d: 2.11; m-t-d: 43.70

Steps yesterday: 11,085

Sat - 4/28/18. chest, ab training, 20 minutes treadmill, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 25/28. 10 exercises / 47 sets / 499 reps. Abs: 2 exercises / 9 sets / 550 reps (4x75 slant board abs; 5x50 cable crunches set @ 80lbs). Today I added push ups, which I haven't done in a long time, 2 sets of 25. I get to the gym, pick up my gym bag, and it feels light, look in it, and I see I forgot my pants. I put them on the bed before I left, I intended to put them in the gym bag. This got me upset, since is it the first sign of Alzheimer's ? :cry: If I do have it, I am going to remember today as the first sign. (but if I have Alzheimer's, I won't remember). This would have ruined my plans, since I would have to drive home, and drive back to virtually where I was, since I was getting my hair cut after. Later, I remembered that I bought jeans a few weeks ago, and I wasn't sure if I ever took them out of the trunk. I go out to the car, and they were there. :claphigh: When I get home, I am putting a set of clothes for my office in the trunk, and a set of clothes for the weekend, and some shoes (if I remember). Last night, I get off the bus, and have less than 1,000 steps on my watch, I couldn't believe my eyes. How could I walk so little during the day? So I had to walk around that same mall for over an hour. It is not something I enjoy, since many are buying online, they lack customers, and I find the shopping mall a depressing place. So again, tracking the steps on this blog is getting me to walk more. I was at Wegmans earlier, I checked my blood pressure on the machine there, and it was 117/68. Hopefully I can reach running 50 miles for all of April.

Friday nutrition: 3220
    Carbs: 345 44%
    Protein: 140 18%
    Fat: 140 39%
    Total: 101%
    sodium: 4061 mg

#7336 Shamie, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  17. macdiver

Bronze Member

That is dedication to head out for an hour walk to get your steps in.

We have a mall near us that closed permanently in March. It was sad to see the decline over the last few years. I am part of the problem though. I buy most things online now (other than food)

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you. Online shopping is killing brick & mortar stores. When someone goes to a physical store, they are more likely to buy more, once in the store, they see other items they didn't plan on buying. When they buy online, since they buy less than if they were in a physical store, they then hurt the vendors also. I buy virtually nothing online. As old people like myself die out, online shopping will become more prevalent.

The Sears in that mall where I walk just closed. They are turning into movie theaters (top floor), and a Stu Leonards food store (bottom store). Where the Sears auto store was, they are turning that into a mini Sears. Stu Leonard's is an interesting concept, a typical food store has tens of thousands of different products and sizes, Stu Leonard's has 2,000.

Running / walking Sunday: 6.20; w-t-d: 8.31; m-t-d: 49.90
    Running / walking Monday: 2.11; w-t-d: 10.42; m-t-d: 52.01; y-t-d: 197.35

Steps Saturday: 13,130
    Steps Sunday: 26,132 (includes 10K)

Sun - 4/29/18. 10K race; back, ab training, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 26/29. 8 exercises / 41 sets / 440 reps. Abs: 1 exercises / 5 sets / 375 reps (5x75 slant board abs). Ran in the UAE Healthy Kidney 10K. I felt great running (surprisingly), my time wasn't bad (for me), which was my first race since the NYC marathon last November. I ran it at a pace of 11:12 per mile, 1:09, which was faster than the same race in 2017 (11:30 pace) & 2016 (11:17 pace). I had a lot of steps, because I walked from the bus terminal at 40th street to the start on 69th street, and the return walk. Then I stopped at the gym on my way back to get in the back training.

Mon - 4/30/18. 45 StairMaster; 20 treadmill, 20 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 27/30. I had pain in my right knee during the night, took an Aleve, and when I woke up, it felt fine. I ran to reach my self imposed 50 mile minimum for the month. Tomorrow I hope to train shoulders.

Sat nutrition: 3254
    Carbs: 379 47%
    Protein: 153 19%
    Fat: 124 34%
    sodium: 2459 mg

Sun nutrition: 3334
    Carbs: 430 52%
    Protein: 174 21%
    Fat: 109 29%
    Total: 102%
    sodium: 2889 mg

#7338 Shamie, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm almost positive I know which mall you're writing about although I haven't been there in years since I have closer options. WTR to Stew Leonard's, do you know if the store near the mall will stay open. I think it may only be a liquor store. The closest mall to me also has a Sears and while I'm not sure of the financial arrangements, a large portion of the store is now a Dave and Busters. There also used to be a stand alone auto store, but that was razed months ago; I haven't been back so I don't know what the intentions are for the space.

20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I think I read the liquor store is not really theirs, they license their name. Don't know if it will be moving.

Running / walking today: 0.00; w-t-d: 10.42; m-t-d: 52.01

Steps yesterday: 13,072.

Tues - 5/01/18. shoulders; triceps, abs, 25 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 1/1. 9 exercises / 45 sets / 460 reps. Abs: 2 exercises / 6 sets / 400 reps (4x75 slant board abs; 2x50 cable crunches set @ 80lbs). Hard to believe today is May 1, and the weather will be like summer tomorrow and Thursday.:) I would have liked to run today, since it is the first of the month, to set the tone for the month, but I couldn't get myself on the treadmill. Tomorrow I am moving my usual Thursday workout (back day #2) to Weds, and also do some sort of cardio.

Mon nutrition: 4367 :eek:
    Carbs: 555 51%
    Protein: 111 10%
    Fat: 192 40%
    Total: 101%
    sodium: 7132 mg (includes retroactive adjustment - forgot to include sodium in yogurt 150 mg a day for weeks).