1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Getting close to triple digit miles again. :tucool:

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you. It happened today.

1. Running today: 7.53; w-t-d: 7.53; m-t-d: 100.56
    1. Sat - 12/30/17. 75 treadmill, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 28/30. Sacrificing not lifting today, I reached 100 miles, to keep alive my streak of running 100 miles or more per month (5 consecutive months). But I can train back tomorrow, and legs on Monday, so no great loss. My nutrition was terrible yesterday, not only did it include the 1100 calories from the day before, but I ate a box of Malomar cookies (990 cal). To my credit though, I did keep the total calories to a decent amount. Sad thing is, I don't even like Malomar cookies.:bang: I have to get started on my New Years resolutions. That will take hours and hours.:) I am not someone who takes New Years resolutions lightly, for this whole weight loss journey started as a New Years resolution on 12/31/04 (13 years ago - yikes time flies). Happy New Years.
    1. Fri nutrition: 3395

Carbs: 462 55%
      Protein: 55 7%
      Fat: 157 38%
      Total: 100%
      sodium: 1585 mg

Vegetables eaten yesterday:

Zilch.:(

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct.

3. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Happy New Years.

Congratulations on 5 months running 100 miles.

13 years. :bow:. I truly admire your dedication and consistency. I know you can and will reach the goals you set for yourself in the coming year.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Happy New Years Shamie.

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I really have no choice, if I want to stay fit (and alive). Thank you, and Happy New Year to you and your wife.

Thank you. Happy New Year to you and your family of Seltzers.:)

Don't know why these numbers to the left started appearing, and I can't seem to erase them. :confused:

1. Running today: 2.10; w-t-d: 9.63; m-t-d: 102.66; 2017: 1,027.70 miles.
    1. Sun - 12/31/17. back, abs, 20 treadmill, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 29/31; 2017: 338/365. I spent 10 minutes going through this thread to determine the mileage for the year, and the number of workouts. I was surprised I reached 1,000+ miles. Feb 2017 was my lowest mileage: 50.30 miles, and the least number of workouts: 18. I must have been sick this past February. I only took 27 rest days in 2017, and 10 of those were in Feb. I had a good last workout for the year. For all of this working out, I was within 1 pound (less) than I was exactly 1 year ago (averaged 3,400 calories daily in 2017). Yesterday I went to a Thai restaurant, and had Pad Thai, and according to the internet, there are approximately 4.870 grams of sodium:eek: in a typical Pad Thai meal in a Thai restaurant. It sounds a bit too high for the meal I had, but that is what I used below. In any case, it was fairly high in sodium, so I think that my weight was overstated today. I normally wouldn't weigh myself 2 days in a row, but I am going to weigh myself tomorrow, and count that as my starting point for the year. I like this routine of running 10 minutes before lifting to warm up, and 10 minutes after. But during the week I don't have time for that, but I think I will continue on the weekends. Next weekend I am going back to the doctor for a followup on the blood pressure. Even with the medication, it is still elevated, today for example 140/80 in the morning. Either I will have to take a larger dose, or he will need to change the medication. Tomorrow I hope to train legs. Happy New Year.
    1. Sat nutrition: 3449

Carbs: 436 51%
      Protein: 168 20%
      Fat: 117 31%
      Total: 102%
      sodium: 6253 mg:eek:

tomatoes
    2. lettuce
    3. sweet potato
    4. misc vegetables in Pad Thai?

1. Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct.

#7165 Shamie, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 2.12; w-t-d: 11.75; m-t-d: 2.12

Mon - 1/01/18. legs, abs, 10+10 treadmill, 30+15 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 1/1. Good workout to start the year. I weighed myself this morning, and I was 2/10 of a pound heavier than yesterday, so I went with the numbers from yesterday, and skipped taking measurements again. I hate when I expect to see a big weight loss, and end up being disappointed. One of my New Years resolutions was not to buy anything in January (including food) - exceptions gasoline and items bought with gift cards. I have plenty of food in my house to last much more than a month. The day is not yet over, and I almost blew the resolution. I went to Duncan Donuts at the local mall on my way home from working out, since I was given a Duncan Donuts gift card for the holidays, and I wanted to walk around to reach 12,000 steps today. While there I almost bought 3 different items, but forced myself to put them all back (I was in the cashier lines already). This is going to be much harder than I thought.

I was looking to see how my nutrition compared to the prior year. I think there was some improvement, carbs went down, protein, fat went up. In 2018, I want to see calories under 3,200, and the carbs be under 400 grams per day.

2017:

Calories: 3,400
    carbs: 429 51%
    protein: 134 16%
    fat: 135 36%
    total: 102%

2016:

Calories: 3,350
    carbs: 476 57%
    protein: 112 13%
    fat: 116 31%
    total: 101%

Sun nutrition: 2829

Carbs: 297 42%
    Protein: 136 19%
    Fat: 141 45%
    Total: 106%
    sodium: 1383 mg

sweet potato
    corn
    lettuce
    tomatoes

#7166 Shamie, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 2.06; w-t-d: 13.80; m-t-d: 4.17

Tues - 1/02/18. arms, abs, 10+10 treadmill, 25 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 2/2. It is pretty cold here again today. Usually these cold spells don't last so long. It is not supposed to get warmer until Tuesday of next week. I am always concerned my heating will break during this cold weather, and the pipes would freeze with no heat. I am always relieved every time I hear the heater kick in. Utility bill will be high this month, but that is nothing compared to what a repair person would charge to fix, or replace the furnace. This week I am working in New Jersey, which is a nice change from the usual commute to NY. It is roughly 55 miles each way from my house, so by the end of the week, I will be looking forward to taking the bus again (I can't be pleased). Tomorrow I am either training shoulders, or running.

Mon nutrition: (forgot to bring).

Carbs: %
    Protein: %
    Fat: %
    Total: %
    sodium: mg

sweet potato
    corn
    lettuce
    tomatoes
    onion
    Spring mix salad greens

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 1.25; w-t-d: 15.05; m-t-d: 5.42

Weds - 1/03/18. shoulders, abs, 12 treadmill, 25 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 3/3. Today, I am done at the gym, I go into my car, and I open the storage compartment between the front seats in my car, and my wallet is missing (I always put it there). I get a bad feeling, since I remember last night I parked my car in my garage, and I dropped something, and I think I put my wallet on the roof of the car while I picked up what I dropped. I was thinking I would retrieve it in less than a minute, and that never happened. This morning, when I leave at 4:45 am it is of course dark, and I didn't turn the light on in the garage, so I didn't see the wallet (car is black, wallet is black). Immediately it occurred to me that I left the wallet on the roof of my car, and it must have fell off. I was hoping it fell off in the garage, or on my driveway. So instead of driving to work, I drove home, thinking maybe if it was on my driveway or a local street, I could maybe still find it, since it still was pretty early but now it is light out. As I get close to my home, I am checking the local streets, no wallet. I first look in my house, no wallet. Then I notice the mail box is closed, which is unusual, since I took the mail out last night, and it was too early for today's mail delivery. Inside is my wallet, and someone left a note " Hello, found your wallet on the next block. Happy New Year". No name or anything. Judging by the handwriting, it looks like it was a school kid walking to school must have found it, and got the address from my license. Everything was in it. I was so happy. I had some gift cards, my drivers license, credit cards, and $50-$80 in cash. I was very lucky an honest person came across it. My faith in humanity is restored. :nod: It saved me a lot of work, I would have had to cancel my credit cards, and have to obtain a new driver's license. Tomorrow I hope to run.

Tues nutrition: 3053

Carbs: 397 52%
    Protein: 179 23%
    Fat: 94 28%
    Total:103 %
    sodium: 3063 mg

Mon nutrition: 3193

Carbs: 355 44%
    Protein: 188 24%
    Fat: 116 33%
    Total:101 %
    sodium: 2903 mg

sweet potato
    corn
    lettuce
    tomatoes
    onion
    Spring mix salad greens

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Normally we only read about do-badders and miscreants; a nice gesture that you were the recipient for is a welcome change.

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yes I was lucky, and it is nice to think not everyone is out to get you. I was touched that they wrote "Happy New Year".

Running today: 0.00; w-t-d: 15.05; m-t-d: 5.42

Thurs - 1/04/18. rest day. m-t-d workouts: 3/4. I was surprised when I woke up, there was no snow. But soon started. I was supposed to drive to the office where I work this week in Sayreville, NJ, roughly 55 miles from my house. They are supposed to have more snow down there towards the NJ Shore. I instead walked to the train, took a train to Secaucus NJ, then took a train to South Amboy, NJ, then took an Uber to the office (roughly 2 miles). The snow is really coming down here, and the Uber driver was sliding all over the place. Someone from this office is driving me back to the train station later (4 wheel drive). I always was curious about taking the train here. One interesting thing, I never knew that I can take the train from where I live directly to Newark Airport on this train line. Tomorrow I hope to train chest, or run. When I return from work, today's workout will be shoveling snow, and walking to and from the train station to my house.

Weds nutrition: 3239

Carbs: 347 43%
    Protein: 125 15%
    Fat: 158 44%
    Total:102 %
    sodium: 1926 mg

sweet potato
    lettuce
    Spring mix salad greens

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

Glad you got your wallet back.

Safe trip home.

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Safe travels this afternoon. Sounds like you have it covered.

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

It was not so easy to get an Uber last night, the people in this office lost interest in driving me to the train station.:( On both Uber trips, the drivers got lost (2 mile trip). :confused:

Thanks. Trip back was good, once I got to the train station. I actually got home earlier than I normally do. I left earlier, but the commute was pretty easy by train.

Running today: 0.00; w-t-d: 15.05; m-t-d: 5.42

Friday - 1/05/18. rest day. m-t-d workouts: 3/5. The workout might happen after work. But from history, it sounds good now, when as the day progresses, it will lose it's appeal. Yesterday when I bought the train ticket from the vending machine in the morning, it was $5.00 to Secaucus, and then $13.25 to South Amboy. On the return trip, the trip to Secaucus from South Amboy was again $13.25, but the trip from Secaucus to the town I live in was $9.25. I think in the morning I must have accidentally bought a senior citizen discounted ticket from the vending machine. The train conductor apparently thought I looked the part, since no questions were asked. Today I was back to driving, the roads were back to normal, except the last road to this office, which if plowed, wasn't done too well. TGIF.

Thurs nutrition: 3110

Carbs: 333 43%
    Protein: 196 25%
    Fat: 118 34%
    Total:102 %
    sodium: 3326 mg

sweet potato
    Spring mix salad greens
    onions
    brocolli

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

I understand an Uber driver getting lost trying to find your clients office but I would think the uber drivers in that area would know where the train station is.

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Maybe the GPS was not working due to the weather, or the snow conditions confused them.

[Running today: 2.61; w-t-d: 2.61; m-t-d: 8.03

Sat - 1/06/18. chest, abs, 15+10 treadmill, 30+15 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 4/6. Didn't workout yesterday. But today I had a good workout. Tomorrow I have to work in Sayreville again, so I hope workout will happen after. Tomorrow I hope to train back.

Fri nutrition: 3325

Carbs: 360 43%
    Protein: 212 26%
    Fat: 124 34%
    Total:103 %
    sodium: 3316 mg

sweet potato
    Spring mix salad greens
    onions
    brocolli

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 2.58; w-t-d: 5.19; m-t-d: 10.61

Sunday - 1/07/18. Edit: back, abs, 15+10 treadmill, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 5/7. I am at work now, workout will happen after I am done. I updated the m-t-d workouts to include today, so in my mind today's workout will definitely happen. I brought a container of cottage cheese for lunch (low sodium), but earlier I hear the warehouse manager say he is ordering pizzas for lunch. I am also sure tomorrow when the audit team is here, they will order pizza again. I am definitely eating the pizza for lunch today (and tomorrow). But I am not going overboard, most likely 2 pieces each day, at most 3. The cottage cheese will have to wait for dinner, or tomorrow. To compensate for the extra calories, I am skipping the nuts I would normally eat today (almonds and cashews). Today I am going to train back, tomorrow I am going to train arms.

Sat nutrition: 2995

Carbs: 362 48%
    Protein: 158 21%
    Fat: 104 31%
    Total:100 %
    sodium: 1993 mg

Zilch

#7176 Shamie, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 2.63; w-t-d: 7.82; m-t-d: 13.24

Monday - 1/08/18. arms, 15+10 treadmill, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 6/8. I did make it to the gym after work yesterday, and had a pretty good workout. I limited myself to 2 slices of pizza. This is pretty good, since I can easily eat a whole pie (which I have done plenty of times). Someone said something to me yesterday, which I never gave much thought before. He said, how was the pizza? I said, how come you didn't have any? He is heavy, I was thinking "New Years Resolution". But he said coming to work he was craving a breakfast sandwich, which he ate instead. I said, for me - free food (pizza) always trumps other food.:nod: He said that was usually the case for him, but he was really craving a breakfast sandwich. It got me thinking, I never crave any food. I hear people say, I feel like potato chips, or today I feel like Chinese or Mexican food etc, but that is never me. I never crave a certain food. That isn't to say I don't like food or have some favorite foods, but It just doesn't matter what I eat, as long as I am full. I wonder what this means.:confused: Tomorrow I hope to train shoulders.

Sun nutrition: 3230

Carbs: 390 48%
    Protein: 170 21%
    Fat: 104 31%
    Total:100%
    sodium: 2133 mg

Vegetables eaten yesterday: (technically in the pizza I ate yesterday, there were tomatoes (tomato sauce), and mushrooms, but I am not counted that).

Sweet potato
    onion

#7177 Shamie, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 2.61; w-t-d: 10.43; m-t-d: 15.85

Tues - 1/09/18. shoulders; triceps, 15+10 treadmill; 0 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 7/9. Today there was a note on the sauna door - "Out of Service". :cry: I hope it gets repaired quickly (like by tomorrow). At this gym, they have no qualms about having a female cleaning woman enter the men's locker room while it is in use. Today, I am taking a shower, and when I step out, there is the cleaning woman. They put a sign at the entrance, but they must have put the sign up after I entered. I just like to know what to expect. I don't really care that much, in fact I think it is good advertising :), but I was thinking they would not send a male employee into the woman's locker room in use in a million years.

Mon nutrition: 3197

Carbs: 284 36%
    Protein: 116 15%
    Fat: 180 51%
    Total:102%
    sodium: 3313 mg

Vegetables eaten yesterday: (technically in the pizza I ate yesterday, there were tomatoes (tomato sauce), and mushrooms, but I am not counted that).

Sweet potato
    onion

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 0.00; w-t-d: 10.43; m-t-d: 15.85

Weds - 1/10/18. 35 minutes stair master; 35 minutes stationary bike; (0 sauna - day 2 out of service):cry:. m-t-d workouts: 9/11. Today I needed a break from running and lifting, hence the stair master and stationary bike. The stair master gives a good workout, it gets me to sweat a lot, the bike on the other hand is a waste of time for me. I put the tension pretty high, but I probably am not going fast enough, since in 35 minutes the bike said I burned a little over 200 calories. 35 minutes on the treadmill running would be more than double that, and I would be drenched. I barely broke a sweat on the bike. But it was a nice change from running. I am going to add the stair master to my cardio rotation, once a week at first. Tomorrow I am most likely running. I am going to start doing a mini second day back training day (tomorrow), just lat pull downs, and a rowing exercise (gotta make that back grow).

Tues nutrition: 3294

Carbs: 511 62%
    Protein: 148 18%
    Fat: 65 18%
    Total: 98%
    sodium: 5000 mg

broccoli
    lettuce

20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 4.54; w-t-d: 14.97; m-t-d: 20.39

Thurs - 1/11/18. back, 45 minutes treadmill; 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 10/12. Sauna was up and running today. I found out it was not really broken, just shut off. A few weeks ago, they removed the floor matting, and the floor was just concrete. I liked that better, but yesterday they replaced the flooring with new mats. Today I did my planned 2nd back day of the week, a shorter version of my normal back training. I could have done an hour on the treadmill, and cut down the sauna to 15 minutes, but I have sauna time to make up for the 2 days the sauna was not available. :) I normally like to do cardio first, and then lift, but today did it in the other order.

Lat pull downs:
    1x15 115 lbs
    1x15 120 lbs
    1x15 125 lbs
    1x15 130 lbs
    1x15 135 lbs

T-Bar Rows:
    2x10 90 lbs
    2x10 95 lbs
    1x10 97.50 lbs

Isolateral seated rows:
    1x10 180 lbs
    2x10 200 lbs
    1x10 220 lbs
    1x10 230 lbs

Weds nutrition: 3092

Carbs: 414 54%
    Protein: 101 13%
    Fat: 111 33%
    Total: 100%
    sodium: 2486 mg

lettuce