1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I hope so. Thank you.

Running today: 2.08; w-t-d: 4.18; m-t-d: 48.29

Sun - 12/17/17. back, abs, 20 treadmill, 25+10 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 16/17. The doctor had mentioned that this drug slows down your heart rate. He said if it goes to low, you can faint. He said if I faint, I should call him. Since I have a low resting heart rate to begin with (usually 44), that concerned me. The pills are scored, so they can be cut in half. So I cut the pill in half (with my pill splitter), and took 1/2 the pill, and I will see how much that lowers the blood pressure. I checked at the blood pressure machine in the Wegmans pharmacy, and my blood pressure was 126/74 (and that was with 1/2 a pill). That was the first time I saw the 120's since I have been checking. So I will track it, and if the blood pressure stays low, I will stay with 1/2 a pill daily. Before I took the pill this morning, the blood pressure was in the mid 130's today, so today was a bit unusual. Usually it is in the mid 140's or higher in the morning. So maybe on a normal day, I would need a higher dose, time will tell. I had told the doctor I don't want to take a diuretic, since I don't like to pee. :crazy: Not really, my issue is I drink a lot of water at the gym in the morning, and then I am stuck on the bus until I get to NY, and if there is major traffic, or whatever, I don't want to be uncomfortable on the bus, and have to almost run to the men's room in the bus terminal in NY. But while he said this is not a diuretic, he did say all of the blood pressure medications have a diuretic effect to some degree. My hope is to get really thin in 2018, improve nutrition, and hopefully there will be no need for this medication once that happens. I want to prove the doctor wrong, he said I would most likely be on this drug for the rest of my life. Tomorrow I plan to train chest.

Sat nutrition: 3296

Carbs: 367 45%
    Protein: 185 23%
    Fat: 125 34%
    Total: 102%
    sodium: 2620 mg

Vegetables eaten yesterday:

sweet potato
    onion
    Spring mix salad greens

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct.

#7141 Shamie, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Would it be possible to wait until you're at your office or at least in NY before taking the medication?

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

That is a good idea. I never thought of that. Thank you. So far, yesterday and today, I didn't notice much of a difference.

Running today: 9.05; w-t-d: 13.23; m-t-d: 57.34

Mon - 12/18/17. 90 minutes treadmill, 20+20 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 17/18. I ran for 90 minutes because I am behind in mileage, if I want to reach 100 miles for the month. Even with this run, I will need to run (4) 75 minute days, and run for 15 minutes daily after lifting each day to reach 100 miles in the remaining 13 days of the month. I was surprised, I thought I would hate running 90 minutes today, but it didn't bother me. I think the extra carbs last night helped, I ate a can of whole berry cranberry sauce, 550 calories, approximately 135 mg carbs (unplanned nutrition). I am off from work today and Thursday. Besides Christmas and New Years, it is back to the grind of 5 days a week in January.

I had told both doctors, that I have been getting short headaches on the left side of my head, very quick, for like 15-20 seconds, but about 25-30 times during the day (for about the last 3 weeks). Both said it was nothing (I hate when they say that - they are always wrong:nod:), both said if it was a brain tumor, it would be major headaches. Both said the headaches were not related to the blood pressure. But for 2 days, since I have been taking the blood pressure medication, I stopped getting them. I hope they are wrong, and the reason they stopped was the blood pressure medication, and the headaches don't return. I have a cousin who got this extremely rare brain infection a few years back, and she needed brain surgery. What was even rarer, she got the infection again, and needed brain surgery again 3-4 years later. While she was recuperating, I once went with her to Duncan Donuts, and she ordered a drink. After she drank a little, she didn't want anymore, and offered me the drink. I didn't want to offend her, and drank from the same cup (I think she drank from a straw). Even though I knew it was a mistake at the time. After that, I have always been concerned I was going to get the same brain infection from that drink. Tomorrow I hope to train chest.

When I look at this thread on a PC or tablet, it doesn't look so wordy. But on a smart phone, I am amazed how long these posts look.

Sun nutrition: 3400

Carbs: 487 57%
    Protein: 163 19%
    Fat: 96 25%
    Total: 101%
    sodium: 2097 mg

sweet potato
    onion
    Spring mix salad greens

#7143 Shamie, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Can't offer any medical advice, but I would also be concerned about the frequent yet brief headaches.

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I am concerned, but again today, I had no headaches. I think maybe the headaches were related to the blood pressure being high. The doctor said my blood pressure wasn't high enough to cause a headache (maybe he was wrong about that).

Running today: 1.57; w-t-d: 14.80; m-t-d: 58.91

Tues - 12/19/17. chest; abs, 15 minutes treadmill, 15 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 18/19. Good workout today. I almost skipped the running today, but at the last minute, decided to run . I checked my blood pressure this morning, and it was 136/74. I am going to start taking the full pill tomorrow, since it should be around 120 (top number). The doctor told me when you take this drug, you will notice that when you exercise, your heart rate won't go up as high as it used to. He was correct about that. Normally running like I did this morning, the heart rate would be in the low to mid 140's. Today it was in the low 130's.

Mon nutrition: 3315

Carbs: 432 52%
    Protein: 190 23%
    Fat: 95 26%
    sodium: 2582 mg

sweet potato
    onion

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 1.53; w-t-d: 16.33; m-t-d: 60.44

Weds - 12/20/17. shoulders; triceps; abs, 15 minutes treadmill, 20 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 19/20. This week I am going to skip training arms. Once a month in this office, they celebrate the people who had birthday's in the month with a birthday cake. Last month I skipped the piece of cake, but today I am eating it. There has been a lot of food in this office recently, but I have abstained from all of it, except yesterday I ate a donut. Someone who used to work here sent a big gift box of donuts, and it was sent to my attention, so I felt obligated to eat one (at least that is the excuse I am going with). Tomorrow I plan on running.

Tues nutrition: 3565

Carbs: 482 54%
    Protein: 162 18%
    Fat: 114 29%
    sodium: 2594 mg

sweet potato
    onion

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 7.42; w-t-d: 23.75; m-t-d: 67.86

Thurs - 12/21/17. 75 treadmill, 22 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 20/21. I didn't feel like running today, but got through it. My legs don't hurt, and I have no pain, but my legs feel tired. Yesterday I mentioned that I was having a piece of birthday cake at work. While the cake looked like a masterpiece, it had no taste, and it was wasted calories, but that didn't stop me from having 2 pieces.:confused: I think where I work is considered Times Square, if not, it is adjacent to Time Square. In a sign of the times, they put all these concrete barriers in that area, to try to prevent potential terrorism when people gather there New Years Eve to celebrate New Years. That would be the last place I would want to be to celebrate New Years:nod:. That is for young people, and tourists. The gym is closed on Christmas, so if I want to exercise, I will have to run outside.:scared: Tomorrow I hope to train legs, if my legs don't feel recuperated by tomorrow, I will train the arms I skipped earlier this week.

Weds nutrition: 3435

Carbs: 462 54%
    Protein: 162 19%
    Fat: 109 29%
    sodium: 2104 mg

sweet potato
    onion

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Totally agree about New Years Eve in Times Square. I did it a couple of times when I was in high school and enjoyed it, but there's no way I would consider doing it now. In total contrast to that, my plan for the holiday this year is to cook a nice dinner for me and wifey at home.

We're not supposed to get any snow so hopefully there won't be any slippery conditions if you decide to run on Christmas.

9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Sounds like a good plan that you have for New Years.

Running today: 0.00; w-t-d: 23.75; m-t-d: 67.86

Friday - 12/22/17. arms; abs, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 21/22. No running today. All of my joints hurt yesterday, I could barely walk, let alone run. I may not reach 100 miles this month. It was a mistake not to start a new pair of running shoes on 12/1, instead of waiting until 1/1. I am instead starting a new pair tomorrow. I never did start taking the full pill for the blood pressure medication (am taking 1/2 pill), but I am starting a full pill tomorrow. I am concerned about fainting, not really the fainting, but hitting my head when fainting. I want to try the full pill when I am not at work, I don't want to faint at work either. I want to continue to give them the illusion that I am healthy. My Garmin Vivoactive HR shows my resting heart rate at 40 this morning. Lance Armstrong's was in the 30's, but I am no Lance Armstrong. I might faint if the HR goes into the 30's. I am doing my best to keep alive until at least 1/1/18, NJ is eliminating the estate tax on 1/1/18, and I don't want my estate paying taxes on what I leave.

Thurs nutrition: 3435 (identical food from the day before. Not exactly, I ate the 2 pieces of cake on Weds, but counted 1 piece on Weds, and the 2nd piece on Thurs in the nutrition data)

Carbs: 462 54%
    Protein: 162 19%
    Fat: 109 29%
    sodium: 2104 mg

sweet potato

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Not that I'm a betting person, but I if I was my money would take the side that you'll be around on 1/1/18. And 1/2/18 for that matter. :-) Also, I hope your aches go away.

Agreed about New Years. There may be a small expansion beyond me and wifey as there's currently a possibility that dear daughter and her boyfriend will be joining us for dinner before going out and this afternoon I'm going to invite a long time friend who lost his wife (fuck cancer) to spend the evening with us. Presently dear son is planning to spend the evening with some college friends.

11. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I would check the listed side effects of your new medicine to see if muscle aches and pains are a side effect. If it is, it may be listed as a serious side effect. For a very small group of medicines, muscle aches and soreness indicate a serious side effect and requires you to call your doctor. For most medicines, muscle aches and pains are only a minor side effect.

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I shouldn't have wrote that, now I jinxed myself. From one of the races I ran, I have a shirt that has in big writing "IMAGINE A WORLD WITHOUT CANCER" on the back. That race formerly was sponsored by the country of Norway, but after Greta Weitz died (from cancer), she won the NYC marathon 9 times, it is sponsored by Memorial Sloan Kettering.

After your wrote that, I checked, and that is not one of the side affects. But interestingly, I was thinking this morning, why do my toes feel so cold (I was wearing socks and running shoes), but I got the reason, one of the side affects of this medication is "feeling cold in your hands and feet". :)

Running today: 3.09; w-t-d: 3.09; m-t-d: 70.95

Sat - 12/23/17. leg training, 30 treadmill; 25+15 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 22/23. Felt a lot better today, so I ran longer to make up for the 15 minutes I skipped yesterday. Maybe I just needed a day of rest from running. I started running in new running shoes today. Usually I wear Asics, but these are Nike. I think that Asics lost popularity, I don't see them in stores too often anymore. These are constructed differently than the prior shoes, they are lighter, but supposed to provide support, and give a more natural feel when running. They felt pretty good today, but they feel different than what I am used to. They will take time to get used to. They are easily the ugliest running shoes I ever bought. They are a nice color blue, but the shoe is covered in dark blue polka dots. :barf: While I am not a fashion conscious person, I am even surprised I bought them. I think I bought them last summer at a sidewalk sale from a local running store. I hope the price I paid was low, to make up for how ugly they are. I think I stay in the sauna a long time, easily longer than most people at this gym. Today, this guy there tells me he stays in for 2 hours daily.:eek: 30 minutes is my limit, and that is even hard to reach towards the end. Sometimes like today, after 25 minutes I took a cold shower, then returned for another 15. The cold shower really helps cool off the body.

Friday nutrition: 3425

Carbs: 459 54%
    Protein: 157 18%
    Fat: 111 29%
    sodium: 1950 mg

sweet potato
    onion
    spring salad mixture

13. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Merry Christmas.

Glad your running was better today.

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 2.07; w-t-d: 5.16; m-t-d: 73.02

Sun - 12/24/17. back training, 20 minutes treadmill; 25+15 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 23/24. I got a good workout in today. As soon as I am done updating this, I have to go outside and finish the leaves. The leaves have to be bagged, and the last pickup is Tuesday (no more pickups until March). It is not a huge amount, the wind took care of what fell since the last time I raked the leaves for the front and one side. I have part of the back and one side left. Because of the change in the tax law for next year, I had to prepay my 2018 real estate taxes, which I did yesterday. I was wondering if I can prepay more than one year, I have to find out. Happy Holiday's.

Sat nutrition: (not yet completed)

Carbs: %
    Protein: %
    Fat: %
    Total: %
    sodium: mg

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I chuckled while reading the description of your running shoes.

Two hours in a sauna daily is a lot of time.

I'm also going to be prepaying some of next year's property taxes today.

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 7.47; w-t-d: 5.16; m-t-d: 80.49

Mon - 12/25/17. rest day. m-t-d workouts: 23/25. I had planned on running outside, but when I got up, there was some snow on the streets, and it was icy. I could have ran later in the day, but didn't.

Tues - 12/26/17. 75 treadmill, 20 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 24/26. I didn't feel like running today, but nevertheless, had a pretty good run. I won't say that I have given up my goal of 100 miles for Dec, but it is unlikely. But I am off tomorrow, and If I can run some decent mileage tomorrow (5+) then it can still happen. But I want to train chest tomorrow also, and don't want the running to affect the lifting. Last year, according to my nutrition journal, I averaged 3350 calories daily in 2016. This year, most likely will be just under 3,400. That extra 50 doesn't sound like a lot, but it adds to 18,250 extra calories. But this year probably was a record for me working out. Through yesterday, it was 330 times, so assuming I workout the balance of the year, total workouts should be 336. I didn't check how many times I worked out last year, but I am pretty sure it was less than that. I hope to show some weight loss from 12/31/16. Nothing major, but I would be happy with a 5-6 pound loss.

Sun nutrition: 3256

Carbs: 373 46%
    Protein: 213 26%
    Fat: 105 29%
    sodium: 2570 mg

sweet potato
    onion
    spring mix salad
    cucumber

Mon nutrition: 3038

Carbs: 366 48%
    Protein: 172 23%
    Fat: 96 29%
    Total: 100%
    sodium: 2847 mg

sweet potato
    onion
    spring mix salad
    cucumber

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 7.42; w-t-d: 12.58; m-t-d: 87.91

Weds - 12/27/17. chest; abs, 75 treadmill, 25+15 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 25/27. I think now I should be able to reach 100 miles for the month. I first ran, since I knew 75 minutes of running wasn't happening if I waited until I was done lifting. I ran 65 before lifting, and saved the last 10 minutes of running until after lifting, to work up a sweat before going in the sauna. I just saw something crazy drving before. These 3 huge wild turkeys landed right in the middle of a very busy street, and they weren't anxious to move. They were beautiful birds. I am sorry I didn't think of taking photo's with my phone until it was too late. It is not extremely rare to see turkeys, but it is in the center of a busy street. There was plenty of room for them to move onto grass or the nearby woods, but they weren't budging. Speaking of driving, this past weekend I was almost involved in a terrible accident, I take the fact that I didn't get into an accident as a second chance, and going forward, I am going to drive much more carefully. I was driving straight at about 40-45 mph, and there was a traffic light ahead, and 3 cars in the opposite direction were making a left in front of me. As I got close, the last driver should have waited, but at the last minute they cut right in front of me, I swerved right to avoid the car, and then almost smashed into a metal street light. The car should have waited, but I should have slowed down of instead trying to make the green light. Going forward, I am going to be a less agressive driver (lesson learned). Tomorrow I plan to train shoulder or arms.

Tues nutrition: 3332

Carbs: 408 49%
    Protein: 162 20%
    Fat: 115 31%
    sodium: 3125 mg

sweet potato
    onion
    spring mix salad
    cucumber

#7157 Shamie, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 2.54; w-t-d: 15.12; m-t-d: 90.45

Thurs - 12/28/17. arms; abs, 25 treadmill, 25 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 26/28. Pretty cold here today, but compared to other northern parts of the country, we have nothing to complain about. At least it is only cold, and not cold plus snow. Lucky for me I was off yesterday, the delays commuting home were much worse than the usual commute (hard to believe), they even had photo's of the bus terminal on the news with the endless lines. They said buses were delayed over 1 hour. Unfortunately, they said to expect much of the same today, but in the morning, I got to NY in no time. I left the park & ride at a little after 8:00 am, and was at the Port Authority bus terminal in slightly more than 30 minutes. In a non holiday week, leaving 8:00 would get me to my office at 9:30 or later. Few are working this week, judging by the park & ride, it is 80% empty, which is good for me, normally I don't get a spot, and in this cold weather, the walk to where I would have had to park would be no fun. Tomorrow I hope to train shoulders, and run for another 25 minutes. Today I ran 15 before lifting, and 10 after lifting. The 15 before lifting was actually a good warm up for lifting.

Weds nutrition: 3062

Carbs: 417 54%
    Protein: 138 18%
    Fat: 105 31%
    sodium: 1295 mg

sweet potato
    onion
    spring mix salad

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Glad you were able to avoid an accident.

I totally understand about your commuting and the situation really becomes apparent when there's little traffic.

20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yes, the accident would have been scary. The bright spot there, is that the accident would have been almost directly across the street from a hospital.

Very early on a Sat or Sun morning (like 5:00 am), I can leave my house, and be in midtown in 30 minutes. Hard to believe my commute sometimes takes 1+1/2 hours or more. :confused:

Running today: 2.58; w-t-d: 17.70; m-t-d: 93.03

Friday - 12/29/17. shoulders, triceps, 25 treadmill, 25 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 27/29. I got to the gym late, but nevertheless completed everything I wanted to complete there. Yesterday I lost all control at work, and my one cookie ended up being 1,100 calories of cookies and brownies. :( Those calories will be included in today's nutrition. As they say "one is too many, 100 is not enough". For someone like myself, who lacks control, that is a very true statement. We are the only company in this entire building that is open today. On the bright side, it is easy to get an elevator this week.:) Tomorrow I either hope to run for 75 minutes, or instead run for 30 minutes, and train back or legs. Happy New Year.

Thurs nutrition: 3362

Carbs: 446 53%
    Protein: 172 20%
    Fat: 107 29%
    sodium: 2205 mg

sweet potato
    onion