1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Both were plain Greek yogurt, so they don't have anything added, just the yogurt. But you made me recall, that when I was buying Fage, it wasn't the fat free, it was 2% fat. That fat must help the flavor. Costco and Wegmans don't offer anything but the fat free plain in their 2 pack deal (2 quarts of Greek Yogurt in one box), which costs under $6.00, which is typically cheaper than one quart of Fage.

Running today: 1.27; w-t-d: 11.90; m-t-d: 12.96

Tues - 12/05/17. arms; abs, 20 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 5/5. Pain in left elbow is still there, but is slightly improving. I received back my Garmin vivosmart hr, which I mailed back to Garmin for repair (band broke). They sent back a new one, since the other had scratches on the face, this one doesn't. While they have newer models, this one is the exact model of the one I had. I don't know if this is the same for Garmin, but I read on the internet that Fitbit has no repair facility. In their case, they either replace the defective unit with the same model, or they offer to give you a 50% discount off a different device. I pretty much view Fitbit and Garmin as equal quality, but the advantage of Garmin is their devices are waterproof (at least the models I looked into), Fitbit is just water resistant (can't shower with it on). For me that is a major difference in favor of Garmin. I meant to put it in my back pack so I could charge and setup, but I forgot. I will do that tonight, or hopefully bring it with me tomorrow. I doesn't even take 5 minutes.:o Tomorrow I hope to train shoulders.

Mon calories: 3402
    Carbs: 360 42%
    Protein: 221 26%
    Fat: 134 35%
    Total: 103 %
    sodium: 3992 mg

Vegetables eaten yesterday:

potato

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I'd be very surprised if you weren't right. Sugar, fat, salt, something's got it give it more flavor.

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

On the Wegmans plain non fat yogurt container. - ingredients: Cultured pasteurized Grade A non fat milk, contains the following live cultures: lactobacillus bulgricus, streptoccus thermophilus, lactobacillus acidiophilus, bifidus, lactobacillus Casei. (nothing else)

Maybe that is why the 0% plain greek yogurt doesn't taste that good.

Running today: 1.30; w-t-d: 13.20; m-t-d: 14.26

Weds - 12/06/17. shoulders; triceps, abs, 12 minutes treadmill, 20 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 6/6. I drank a gallon of 1% fat milk in 2 days. I almost never drink milk, but I had bought a gallon in Costco, because that is the only size they sold, and I needed a tiny bit for macaroni and cheese (which I never made). I figured I could use the balance for milk in my coffee. But I had 95% left, and time was running out on the expiration. It was already 5 days past the last sell date. So each day I drank 1/2 gallon. I had no bad effects (milk sometimes give my stomach some distress if I drink a lot). I had a really strong workout today (maybe I should continue with the milk).:) Running faster than normal on these daily short runs, give me the "runners high" that they talk about, it is the opposite of running at a slow speed for a long time (which makes me depressed). Since I felt good after lifting, and running, yet I was short on time, I decided to nevertheless spend 20 minutes in the sauna and take a later bus. Still got to my office at 8:57. I think I am going to buy a lottery ticket today. :) Just kidding, one thing I hate is the lottery. You will never find me buying lottery tickets, regardless of how big the jackpot is.

Tues calories: 3355
    Carbs: 381 45%
    Protein: 128 15%
    Fat: 163 44%
    Total: 104 %
    sodium: 2623 mg

potato
    carrots
    onion

#7123 Shamie, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 7.57; w-t-d: 20.77; m-t-d: 21.83

Thurs - 12/07/17. 75 treadmill, 25 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 7/7. I get home after work yesterday, and I test my blood pressure, and it 171/101. I test it twice and once on the older machine, and it is pretty close each time. Even though 171 is very high, what bothered me more was the bottom number, which was never over the low 80's before. I was off from work today, so I test it in the morning, thinking it was high because of the stress of commuting etc. But the number in the morning is similar. I am thinking, what should I do. I have a doctor's appointment for Weds of next week for my annual physical. I think, should I wait for that, or go to the doctor today before I have a stroke.:( So I was able to get an appointment with my doctor at 1:45. He takes the blood pressure, and it 140/80. I bring my new machine to his office, and we take it there with the machine, and it is 156/83. While not ideal, I am at least happy it went down. He said 16 points is a big difference, so he takes it again, this time he gets 130/80.:confused: He said I should return the machine. To be honest, I am thinking the machine is probably correct, and his equipment is not good, or he doesn't know how to take blood pressure. I think this because the old machine and the new machine give similar readings. So we decided I would monitor the blood pressure daily until the visit on Weds of next week, and bring the old and new machine to his office to test them during the exam. I didn't workout like usual beforehand (since I thought I might have a stroke working out), and I didn't want the readings to be affected by the workout. But after the lower readings in his office, it gave me the confidence to workout after. They say exercise is a tool to keep blood pressure low (though so far not for me), but now is not the time to stop.

Weds calories: 3279
    Carbs: 441 54%
    Protein: 98 12%
    Fat: 133 37%
    Total: 104 %
    sodium: 2237 mg

potato
    cucumber

5. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Are your blood pressure machines automatic? 101 is very concerning. Glad it was normal at the doctor's office.

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yes, both machines are automatic. 171 and 101 are both concerning. This morning the readings were in the mid 140's / low 80's. They say your bp is normally higher in the morning. Hopefully when I check it tonight, it will be lower.

Running today: 1.05; w-t-d: 21.82; m-t-d: 22.88

Fri - 12/08/17. chest; abs, 10 treadmill, 20 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 8/8. I planned on training legs today, but yesterday I didn't run until about 3:30 pm, and my legs didn't recover yet. I am supposed to run in a 15K tomorrow, but I don't see it happening, because we might get some snow, not too much, but I don't like to run in slippery conditions. But if the snow doesn't come until later in the day, I plan to go. After work, I am walking up to the NY Road Runners location on 57th street, in order to pick up my bib and t-shirt, just in case I do participate in the race. If I feel good after the race, and I get home early, I might train back tomorrow. If that doesn't happen, I will train back Sunday, and skip legs this week. TGIF.

Thurs calories: 3096
    Carbs: 412 53%
    Protein: 134 17%
    Fat: 114 33%
    sodium: 2367 mg

potato
    carrots
    onion
    lettuce
    kale
    brocoli

#7126 Shamie, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017 at 1:16 PM
  7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Wishing you well with your BP mystery. Hopefully it's a machine calibration issue.

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you. It was in the mid 150's / high 70's today on my new machine, on the old machine, it was 171/ 80 today.:(

Running today: 00; w-t-d: 21.82; m-t-d: 22.88

Sat - 12/09/17. Unlike my normal posts, I didn't workout yet. Even though I could have gone to the race today (it didn't start snowing until about 10:00 am), I decided it would be more productive to rake the leaves on my lawn before they got covered with snow. I was able to finish everything but part of back yard, and one side. In addition, Lifetime Fitness where my gym membership is frozen is having an open house this weekend, so I am going to workout there today and tomorrow.

A few weeks ago when they changed the blood pressure guidelines to 120/80, they had an interesting article in the New York Times, that I linked in a prior post. They wrote about the white coat effect, where for some people they are nervous in the doctors office, so their blood pressure is not accurate when the doctor takes it. But they also mentioned there is a subset of people, who have normal pressure in the doctors office, but outside of the doctors office, it is elevated. I think that describes me. If on this doctors visit this Wednesday, the doctor again gets normal blood pressure, but it is still elevated on both of my machines, I am going to go to a cardiologist. A cardiologist has a monitor that wear for 24 hours, and consistently takes the blood pressure during those 24 hours. I am going to get to the bottom of this (hopefully before it kills me).

Friday calories: 3631
    Carbs: 465 51%
    Protein: 164 18%
    Fat: 134 33%
    Total: 102 %
    sodium: 2821 mg

potato
    onion

#7128 Shamie, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 4:56 PM
  9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running Sat: 1.55; w-t-d 1.55; m-t-d: 24.43
    Running Sun: 1.55; w-t-d: 3.10; m-t-d: 25.98

Sat - 12/09/17. legs; abs, 15 treadmill, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 9/9.

Sun - 12/10/17. back, 15 treadmill, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 10/10. My workouts at Lifetime Athleltic were fairly good this weekend. Back to LA Fitness tomorrow. Actually I think I like the equipment better at LA Fitness. Much is the same, but there are some differences. Definitely after this summer, I am cancelling Lifetime Athletic at the end of August. Today blood pressure was closer to normal, most of the 3 readings were approximately 140/75. Funny thing, or not so funny thing, I turn on the CBS morning news, and they have that news ticker at the bottom of the screen that shows the headline news during the broadcast. The first thing is I see that they determined the cause of death of comedienne Ralphie May as high blood pressure and heart disease. That spooked me. Tomorrow I hope to run. I need to ramp up running a bit. The month is 1/3 over, and I only did 1/4 of the running I need to do to reach 100 miles for the month. I never did switch to a new pair of running shoes on Dec 1. I probably will wait until the start of the new year. Happy Sunday.

Sat calories: 3266

Carbs: 339 42%
    Protein: 199 24%
    Fat: 134 37%
    sodium: 2386 mg

potato
    onion
    carrots

#7129 Shamie, Dec 10, 2017 at 1:34 PM
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 4:54 PM
  10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I hope you and your co-workers were not impacted by this morning's bombing.

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you. Lucky for me, I took a vacation day today. The morning commute probably would have been terrible.

Running today: 7:46; w-t-d: 10.56; m-t-d: 33.44

Mon - 12/11/17. 75 treadmill, 25+10 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 11/11. So-so run today. I didn't workout until later than usual. Back to work tomorrow, but I am taking off on Wednesday for my doctors appointment. I feel so thirsty now, I could drink a 2 liter bottle of diet soda, which I plan to do as soon as I get home. I went to a Cuban restaurant for lunch, the food didn't taste that salty, but it must have been judging by my thirst now. I am eating no more food the rest of the day today. Tomorrow I hope to train arms.

Sunday nutrition: 3297

Carbs: 425 52%
    Protein: 152 19%
    Fat: 107 29%
    Total: 100%
    sodium: 1759 mg

potato
    onion
    carrots
    lettuce
    kale
    broccoli

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Glad you're okay.

13. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Yes,. Glad you are ok. Hopefully there are no traffic issues getting into the city today.

Good luck at the doctor's office tomorrow.

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Today was a normal day. Thank you. I would prefer to go to work, than to take my annual physical. :nod: A little too invasive for my taste, in addition to taking blood, which I am not a fan of either. I get no insurance coverage benefits until I reach a deductible of $2,000 annual (which I have never reached), except some preventive tests, like the annual physical exam. So I feel obligated to take advantage of the exam, and get some use out of my insurance. For this great insurance, I pay $8,000 per year.

Thank you.

Running today: 1.57; w-t-d: 12.13; m-t-d: 35.01

Tues - 12/12/17. arms, abs, 15 treadmill, 25 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 12/12. Good workout today. Unlike recent days, I got to the gym at exactly 5:00 am, so I was able to run for 15 minutes, and spend an extended time in the sauna. Tomorrow I hope to train shoulders.

Monday nutrition: 3587

Carbs: 384 43%
    Protein: 199 22%
    Fat: 145 36%
    Total: 101%
    sodium: 2943 mg

white yam ( I think that is what it was - in the Cuban restaurant).

#7134 Shamie, Dec 12, 2017 at 9:32 AM
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017 at 9:51 AM
  15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 1.57; w-t-d: 13.70; m-t-d: 36.58

Weds - 12/13/17. shoulders, triceps, abs, 15 treadmill, 25+15 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 13/13. Even though I said I wouldn't workout before going to the doctor for the annual exam, I did. There was about 4 hours between when I finished, and the exam, so that should be sufficient that the working out / sauna shouldn't affect the blood pressure reading (no problem according to the doctor). He takes the blood pressure, and he gets 120/80. I take it with my machine, and I get 145/75. :confused: He didn't seem to care, he said I should buy a new machine by Omron. He did say I was taking it wrong, he said you have to hold up your arm that has the cuff on it so it is at least level to your heart. I wasn't doing that (I don't know why he didn't tell me that last visit a week ago). This morning, I did get good readings at home, all 3 were is the low to mid 130's, and the bottom number was under 80. I am undecided about what I am going to do regarding the blood pressure. I might track daily for a month (after taking it like he suggested), and if it is still high, go to a different doctor for a 2nd opinion. As I mentioned on an earlier post, last year at the annual physical exam, the nurse measures my height at 6'4" (they checked it twice). This time they get 5'8".:mad: I was supposed to have the nurse check it again after the exam, but I skipped it, since she disappeared. I formerly was 5'10 1/2 before this nonsense started. Tomorrow I hope to run.

Tuesday nutrition: 3361

Carbs: 385 46%
    Protein: 171 21%
    Fat: 122 33%
    Total: 100%
    sodium: 2350 mg

potato
    onion

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Nice to read that your BP seems to be under control. As for you height measurement variability, still a big ?????

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I read the average person shrinks 1 inch every 20 years after age 40, so if I follow those rules, I should be over 5'9 1/2 inches. I think the issue is the person taking the measurement is short in stature, she has to climb on a stool for the measurement, and therefore it is not accurate (since she is worried about falling of the stool).

Running today: 0.00; w-t-d: 13.70; m-t-d: 36.58

Thurs - 12/14/17. rest day. m-t-d workouts: 13/14. It felt so strange to take a rest day today. But it was snowing, so it is just easier for me to leave the car in the garage, and walk to the bus stop. This way, I don't have to clean the car off after working out, and when I return home after work. Besides that it is freezing out, so the roads might be icy tonight, and I want to avoid getting in an accident at all cost. Depending on how I feel, I will either train legs tomorrow or run.

Weds nutrition: 3224

Carbs: 400 50%
    Protein: 160 20%
    Fat: 122 34%
    Total: 104%
    sodium: 1891 mg

potato
    onion
    carrots
    cucumber

#7137 Shamie, Dec 14, 2017 at 11:27 AM
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017 at 9:25 AM
  18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 7.53; w-t-d: 21.23; m-t-d: 44.11

Friday - 12/15/17. rest day. m-t-d workouts: 14/15. Had a fairly good run today. As the year winds down, I hope I can end the year at 185 lbs. That will take some discipline and luck the balance of the year. Yesterday was my last day for potatoes, I am switching to sweet potatoes. While they are slightly higher in calories, I will save on the butter or olive oil that I formerly used on the potato. I like the taste of russet potatoes better, but sweet potatoes have more nutrition (everything is a trade off). Today is my last day in the Android world for my phone, I am switching to Apple. I am behind the times though, I bought a new I-phone 6. But I think it will be an improvement over my Samsung J3/6. I am one of the few who had a Windows phone, Android, and now Apple. I liked the Windows phone, it is very similar to Android, but the only issue is the Apps available for Windows phones are very limited. Tomorrow I plan some sort of lifting, probably legs or chest. TGIF.

Thurs nutrition: 2900

Carbs: 346 48%
    Protein: 144 20%
    Fat: 110 34%
    Total: 102%
    sodium: 1862 mg

potato
    onion
    carrots