1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 1.22; w-t-d: 30.52; m-t-d: 40.38

Weds - 11/08/17. shoulders; triceps; abs, 12 treadmill, 15 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 7/8. I felt good running today. The only residual issue I have from the marathon is a slight pain in the quadriceps walking down stairs. I am going to try for 100 miles running this month. I don't think it will be a long streak, but it will be at least 5 months (3 months completed so far). Slight improvement in nutrition, need to do better. My issue is, I am hungry.:eat: I am still having only coffee before working out, a LaraBar after, 2 ounces of peanuts when I get to work, then nothing until I get home from work. Tomorrow I hope to run.

Tues calories: 3,413
    Carbs: 384 45%
    Protein: 163 19%
    Fat: 149 39%
    Total: 103%
    sodium: 1680 mg

Mon calories: 3,931
    Carbs: 518 53%
    Protein: 195 20%
    Fat: 145 33%
    Total: 106%
    sodium: 3300 mg

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 7.29; w-t-d: 37.81; m-t-d: 47.67

Thurs - 11/09/17. 75 treadmill, 20 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 8/9. Yes, I am impressed with myself that I was able to run for 75 minutes today, 4 days after running a marathon. :rolleyes: Actually, I need to check how many days in a row I have been able to mention "marathon" in this thread, and how long I can keep the streak going.:lol: When I was running the marathon, some people had clever shirts. These girls in pink had on the back of their shirts "this seem like a good idea 6 months ago". That is exactly how I feel. I have been toying with the idea of running a Spring marathon, but like their shirts, it seems like a good idea now, but will I be sorry?

Weds calories: 3,533
    Carbs: 431 49%
    Protein: 163 18%
    Fat: 142 36%
    sodium: 2030 mg

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 0.00; w-t-d: 37.81; m-t-d: 47.67

Friday - 11/10/17. chest; abs, 25 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 9/10. Today was supposed to be my usual Friday leg day, but I did 6 squats, and knew that leg day was not happening today. In it's place, I had a relatively good chest training session. Tomorrow I hope to train back, and hopefully Sunday can train legs. Still haven't gotten a handle on nutrition yet. :( Today workout took longer than anticipated, and I was short on time for a sauna. I figured I would probably be late for work anyway, so I would spend extra time in the sauna. As it turned out, I got a spot in the park & ride, the later bus came immediately, there was no traffic and made it to work before the official start time (I hate to be late for anything). I have to go for a blood test at lunchtime. The good thing about Manhattan, is that you can walk to everything, if not, you can take mass transit. There is a Labcorp in about a 10 minute walk from my office. TGIF

Thurs calories: 3,598
    Carbs: 433 48%
    Protein: 163 18%
    Fat: 154 39%
    Total: 105%
    sodium: 1775 mg

#7083 Shamie, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 1.25; w-t-d: 1.25; m-t-d: 48.92

Sat - 11/11/17. back; abs, 12 minutes treadmill, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 10/11. Good workout today. I am having a problem with my I Pod Touch. I want to get it resolved while it is under warranty through 12/3/17. The issue is I charge it at night and use it when I workout in the morning. I shut it off after working out. If I try to use it later in the day, it is dead. Listening to music for 90 minutes shouldn't use much power. I think either it is not shutting off (even though it looks like it is), or the battery is defective. I called Apple yesterday, they tried to do diagnostics remotely, it wouldn't work. They sent me to he Apple store, and the technician told me the reason why the diagnostics wouldn't connect, is that the guy punched in an "N" instead of an "M" when he entered the long serial number. They were very nice at the Apple store, but I could not get my problem resolved. Problem was of my own doing, I forgot my I Cloud password, and I couldn't remember the answers to the 2 questions I setup. He was going to give me a new I-pod, but I had to enter the password to shut off the tracking. He couldn't give it to me without shutting off the tracking. While trying to reset the password, the account got locked for 8 hours, so I had to leave without the new I-pod. Once I get the password issue straightened out, I have to go back. The Apple technician said I have 2 I-cloud accounts, which is causing a problem (one is I-Cloud.com, one is Outlook.com. I hope to get one I-Cloud account deleted (over the phone) before going back to the store.

Thurs calories: 3,408
    Carbs: 361 43%
    Protein: 150 18%
    Fat: 162 43%
    Total: 104%
    sodium: 2239 mg

#7084 Shamie, Nov 11, 2017 at 2:42 PM
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017 at 1:20 PM
  5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 8.09; w-t-d: 9.34; m-t-d: 57.01

Sun - 11/12/17. 82 minutes treadmill, 25+15 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 11/12. Still unable to do a leg day, so I am skipping this week, and hope to be able to do it on Thurs or Friday. So I ran instead. Hopefully tomorrow I can train arms. Off to rake some leaves, the first time this season. My house is starting to look like nobody lives there. It is warmer today than yesterday, the sun is out, and no wind. In other words, good conditions for working outside.

Sat calories: 3,423
    Carbs: 369 43%
    Protein: 107 13%
    Fat: 187 49%
    sodium: 2079 mg

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Yes, it's much nicer today than yesterday. How does your town deal with the leaves. Do you have to bag them or put them curbside to be collected by either vacuuming or a specially equipped front loader?

For a week after a marathon, you've been doing a lot of running. :tucool:

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I raked and bagged leaves for 2 hours yesterday. My town, you have to bag them. All the surrounding towns, they put them in the street, and then they come with a machine, and vacuum them up. Each has it's advantages, when you rake them into the street, a strong wind can blow them back to your lawn. But it is a pain to bag them.

Thanks about the running, I don't want to take it easy on running, especially until I am able to get a handle on nutrition. Otherwise, I will start to pack on the pounds.

Running today: 1.25; w-t-d: 10.59; m-t-d: 58.26

Mon - 11/13/17. arms; abs, 12 minutes treadmill, 20 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 12/13. Yesterday morning before I left for the gym, my head felt like it was in a vice (not a strong vice, but a minor vice). I rarely get headaches, maybe less then 10 times in my entire life (so far). I checked my blood pressure on my machine (which I rarely use), and it was 178/78:eek:, and then I checked it a second time, it was approximately the same. My blood pressure is almost always 120/80 when I go the doctor. I checked it again this morning before I left for the gym, and it was 148/78. I read it usually is higher in the morning. I am going to continue checking it this week, and if it doesn't get back to under 130, I am going to the doctor. One thing I don't want, is a stroke. :nod: This week, I am laying off coffee, since I read it can raise blood pressure (temporarily). Tomorrow I plan to train shoulders.

Sun calories: 3,448
    Carbs: 427 50%
    Protein: 143 17%
    Fat: 139 36%
    sodium: 3239 mg

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Good idea not to let sustained high BP continue without consulting a doctor.

9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yes, I just read a book "Cardiovascular Health - How Conventional Wisdom is Failing Us", by Jay Cohn, MD. This doctor said high blood pressure was the main cause of artery disease, which eventually leads to a cardiovascular issue (heart attack, stroke), and he also said possibly leads to dementia (recent studies are showing). :(

Running today: 1.24; w-t-d: 11.83; m-t-d: 59.50

Tues - 11/14/17. shoulders, triceps, abs, 12 minutes treadmill, 20 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 13/14. Coincidentally with my blood pressure issue, in the news yesterday, they changed the guidelines for what is considered high blood pressure, from 140/90 to 130/80. So 178 is pretty high. I checked it this morning again, and it was approximately the same as the day before (148 /70). The bottom number for me is always normal. I meant to check it when I got home from work last night, but didn't. If it stays in the 140's, I am going to wait for my annual physical on 12/13, and cut down on salt until that appointment, and increase potassium, and keep working out daily. Almost every time I go to the doctor, I workout beforehand, and more recently, take a sauna. Maybe that is causing my blood pressure to be normal when the time the doctor checks it, maybe other times it is actually higher (just a thought). This next time, I am skipping working out before the annual physical. Tomorrow I plan to run.

Mon calories: 3,478 (fixed)
    Carbs: 414 48%
    Protein: 176 21%
    Fat: 119 31%
    Total: 100%
    sodium: 2565 mg

#7089 Shamie, Nov 14, 2017 at 9:20 AM
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 9:26 AM
  10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I read the article about the new BP guidelines in the NYT this morning and came to your journal with the intention of mentioning it, but obviously it's not necessary.

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you. They say that with the change in the guidelines, that roughly 1/2 of Americans now have high blood pressure. Up from 40% with the old guidelines. A suspicious person might think that the pharmaceutical lobby got them to change the guidelines to sell more blood pressure medication. :D

Running today: 7.45; w-t-d: 19.28; m-t-d: 66.95

Weds - 11/15/17. 75 treadmill, 20 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 14/15. I bought a new home blood pressure machine. I never thought the one I had worked well. The arm cuff inflates, then it stops (like it realized it didn't inflate enough, and starts inflating again), and sometimes this happens once more. I called the company, they were no help in correcting this. I looked online, nothing. I got home late yesterday, but tomorrow I am off from work, and will start using the new one. I checked the blood pressure on the old machine when I got home last night, and the top number was 166:scared:, the bottom number was normal. This morning, it was 145 /78. I have a doctors appointment with the rheumatologist tomorrow afternoon, and each visit he checks the blood pressure. I am going to bring my blood pressure machine and take the blood pressure with that machine in his office during the visit, to see if the results that he gets are similar to the machine. At least this way, I will have an idea if the machine is fairly accurate.

Tues calories: 3,569
    Carbs: 510 57%
    Protein: 130 15%
    Fat: 132 33%
    sodium: 1915 mg

#7091 Shamie, Nov 15, 2017 at 9:46 AM
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 9:53 AM
  12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I'm not a conspiracy theorist by nature or a member of the tin foil hat society, but I've always found it beneficial to determine who is funding studies. I've not done so with the news we got yesterday.

Good idea to some how align the calibration between your machine and that of your doctor's.

13. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

While not a tin foil hat kind if guy, I have to wonder what the driver was to lower the blood pressure standard. It will result in more people on drugs because very few doctors push lifestyle changes

I'm interested to see how your new bp machine compares to the doctor's machine

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I really wasn't serious about the pharmaceutical lobby, I am not a conspiracy theorist either.

Running today: 1.24; w-t-d: 20.52; m-t-d: 68.19

Thurs - 11/16/17. chest, abs, 12 minutes treadmill, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 15/16. I went to the rheumatologist, he took the blood pressure, and it was 150/80. When I was in his office, I tested it with my machine, and it was 159/80. I asked him if it is okay to wait until my annual physical on 12/13, or should I see the doctor sooner. He looked at me like I was crazy, he said 150 was nothing to worry about. Truthfully, I didn't like that answer. In any case, that was my last visit with him. I had already made an appointment with a new rheumatologist in early January. I only went to him today because I was running low on medication, and had no renewals, and didn't want to stop taking the medication until I see the new doctor. On World Psoriasis Day, I went to a conference in NYC, and the doctor I made an appointment with was one of the speakers. I looked him up on the internet, and as luck would have it, one day a week he has office hours in Paramus, NJ (close to where I live). I had planned on seeing him in his NYC office (not knowing he had a NJ office), but this is much more convenient. My only issue with the new doctor, he is age 74. I don't want to start going to someone, and soon after they retire. But I am going to give him a try. Tomorrow I plan to either run or train legs.

Weds calories: 3,460
    Carbs: 431 50%
    Protein: 160 19%
    Fat: 135 35%
    sodium: 1645 mg

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 1.24; w-t-d: 21.76; m-t-d: 69.43

Friday - 11/17/17. leg day, 12 minutes treadmill, 20 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 16/17. Good leg training. My quadriceps have finally recovered from the marathon. Tomorrow I hope to train back & abs. TGIF.

Thurs calories: 3,460 (identical food as the day before):boredtodeath:
    Carbs: 431 50%
    Protein: 160 19%
    Fat: 135 35%
    sodium: 1645 mg