1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you. I think if he doesn't call, I am going to wait for a follow up visit I have on Thursday.

Running today: 7.25; w-t-d: 21.75; m-t-d: 93.01

Friday - 9/29/17. 75 treadmill, 20 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 29/29. Good run today. On the Chic Fil A app, they offered a free breakfast that was good through 9/30/17. I stopped by one near my office a little while ago, and scarfed down a chicken biscuit in less than 30 seconds. It sort of tasted like a Chic Fil A sandwich on a biscuit (minaturized). I think the regular sandwich is a lot better. I didn't reach the 100 miles running this month, and I am not running tomorrow. I am supposed to run in a 10K Sunday. But since this month is only 30 days, I am going to change the calendar and make Sunday Sept 31, and include the running I do on Sunday as part of September.:crazy: Hey, it is my journal, I can do what I want. :) Happy National Coffee Day.

I found a good Ayurvedic proverb:

When the diet is wrong, medicine is of no use. When the diet is correct, medicine is of no need.

Thurs calories: 3622
    Carbs: 348 38%
    Protein: 226 25%
    Fat: 154 38%
    Total: 100%
    sodium: 2457 mg

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct.

#7021 Shamie, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

I like the proverb

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I had to look up "Ayurvedic". Seems sensible.

Good luck on your run today and I like how you're using your super powers to change the calendar. :-)

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yes.

:)

Running Sunday: 7.24; w-t-d: 7.24; m-t-d: 100.25

Saturday - 9/30/17. rest day. m-t-d workouts: 29/30. My streak of workouts ended at 124 days. :(

Sunday - 10/01/17. 10K race; 10 minutes treadmill, back, abs, 20+10+5 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 1/1. I woke up with my usual feeling that I am too tired to go to NY and race today. But I overcame my negative thoughts and went to the race. I felt good running, the weather was perfect running weather. I ran the first 5K at 10:53, and that was with one pee stop, which took 2 minutes waiting on line. I ran the whole race at 12:15 per mile, but on my second pee break, there were 2 portable toilets, and 6 people on line before me. I had to wait 9 minutes :mad:. I was tempted to leave, but I thought as soon as Ieft, they would be done. That time spent waiting killed my race time. Why would I have to pee 2 times in about an hour? Because before the race, the lines were too long, so instead waited (it is hard to run with a full bladder). Also right before the race, I had a XL coffee. I would guess I ran the whole race at a pace of 10:30. Then I stopped off at the gym, and had a pretty good workout, first running for 10 minutes on the treadmill, so I could reach the 100 miles for the month (adjusted month to include 10/1). Race killed my nutrition yesterday, I ate a bagel, and apple after the race. The problem though was the cupcakes they had after the race, I ate 3. :bang:

Monday - 10/02/17. arms; abs, 20 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 2/2. Pretty good arm training day, considering I skipped arm training last week. Tomorrow I plan to run. This week I am skipping either leg or chest training.

Fri calories: 2879
    Carbs: 344 48%
    Protein: 143 20%
    Fat: 114 36%
    Total: 104%
    sodium: 3233 mg

Sat calories: 3072
    Carbs: 316 41%
    Protein: 161 21%
    Fat: 137 40%
    Total: 102%
    sodium: 4468 mg

Sun calories: 4642
    Carbs: 670 58%
    Protein: 132 11%
    Fat: 165 32%
    Total: 101%
    sodium: 5531 mg

#7024 Shamie, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Another triple digit month FTW!

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thanks. I am going to be sorry about moving 10/1's run into September, when the end of October falls around, and I am short on miles. :)

Running today: 0.00; w-t-d: 7.24; m-t-d: 0.00

Tues - 10/03/17. shoulder / triceps, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 3/3. Yesterday in the afternoon, my right knee was in a lot of pain, so I skipped running today. It felt better this morning, but I wanted to give it one day more day of rest. Tomorrow I will run (assuming knee feels alright), if not chest training. So I was right, that when the doctor told me to cut the dosage of the psoriatic arthritis drug that I am taking in half, (due to the liver issue), the psoriasis felt like it was returning. When I had psoriasis last year, the skin on my upper chest felt like it was on fire. I started to get that feeling again, though there was no sign of the psoriasis yet. I was taking 8 pills once a week, he cut it to 4 pills once a week, I upped it to 5 pills, and the skin feels a lot better this week. I am going to the doctor Thursday, so I will see what he has to say. I started to take a supplement "milk thistle", which supposedly is good for the liver (according to the internet :confused:), and started eating onions daily, which also is supposed to be good for the liver. When I see him Thursday, and get the results of the liver ultrasound, I expect him to tell me I have a fatty liver.

Mon calories: 3140
    Carbs: 455 58%
    Protein: 143 18%
    Fat: 89 26%
    sodium: 2409 mg

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 6.17; w-t-d: 13.41; m-t-d: 6.17

Weds - 10/04/17. 65 treadmill, 15 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 4/4. Like earlier in the week, I woke up late. Getting to the gym at 5:35. I like to think every minute late is coming out of my sauna time, so I have an incentive to get there earlier. I was going to train chest today, but lacked the time for a complete chest workout. So even though I didn't think my knee was fully recovered, I decided I would walk instead of running if my knee bothered me. It didn't, so I ran the whole time. As I was on the treadmill, I was watching the news, and saw there was a big delay on Route 3 where it meets the NJ Turnpike, so I figured I was going to be late to work anyway, so I was in no rush. But I got to the bus stop, the bus came within a minute (and had seats), and instead of being delayed, I got to NY earlier than I normally do. I am going to try running 10 minutes every day after lifting, so I am sweating before I get in the sauna, and spend 15-20 minutes there daily (instead of 30 minute goal). Also the extra daily mileage is a way to help reach 100 miles this month (without cheating). Tomorrow I hope to train chest & abs & run for 10 minutes.

Tues calories: 3467
    Carbs: 426 49%
    Protein: 162 19%
    Fat: 135 35%
    Total: 103%
    sodium: 3371 mg

#7027 Shamie, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  8. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

I always have to pee when running. My usual trail has a bathroom at the 2-mile mark, which conveniently placed cause it close to the exact turn around point for the ~4-mile loop and becomes the 2- and 4-mile point during the 6-mile loop. I could probably do the 4-mile loop without needing the bathroom, but I'd not make the 20-minute drive home. That 6-mile loop, no way! I do drink a lot of fluid and carry a lot with me, but I also sweat a stupid amount, so you'd think my body would want to conserve fluid and not piss it all out.

Jaer
    will never have a fast running time above a 5k race cause of the bathroom break. And the being extremely large and heavy.

9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I also sweat a ton, and I have the same thought. In the sauna, under me is a big puddle of sweat, other people come in, and not a drop. I will never understand that.:confused: There are 2 things that make me run faster. Stopping for a Power Gel, and peeing. I try to do both at the same time (not the exact same time).

Running today: 1.02; w-t-d: 14.43; m-t-d: 7.19

Thurs - 10/05/17. chest; abs, 10 minutes treadmill, 15 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 5/5. I went to the doctor today, and finally got the results of my blood test, and ultrasound. Liver, kidney and pancreas were normal, except the right kidney had a small cyst. He said that is okay, nothing needs to be done. Which to me was good news, since I was expecting him to say I have a fatty liver. Next time I go back to him is for my annual physical in November. As the doctor was typing into his laptop, I was thinking should I ask him about a flu shot, or keep my mouth closed, and wait for my physical on 11/21. One second later, he said to me, would I like to take the flu shot today?:eek: I told him he must have ESP. I just went to this new Wegmans supermarket that opened here (Montvale, NJ). It is supposed to be so great, but I was not too impressed. It is too big (over 100K square feet), very noisy, and has a lot of prepared foods (which I never buy). Some prices were good, such as they had these huge pumpkins for $4.99. I was tempted to buy one, but didn't. It is too early, by Halloween it will be rotted, especially if this warm weather continues. I got to say it pays to have a journal here. Yesterday, I wrote down that I was going to run for 10 minutes before the sauna. I didn't feel like it today, but thinking of what I wrote, that got me to run today. :nod:

Weds calories: 3454
    Carbs: 431 50%
    Protein: 164 19%
    Fat: 130 34%
    sodium: 3156 mg

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Glad your results were good. I was told the same thing about kidney cysts last week; imaging is so good now that they are much more easily detectible than in years past and while most people of a certain age have them almost none of them cause issues.

FWIW, I got a flu shot today. :lol:

11. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Guy who works at the gym told me I should try hot yoga. I was like, "You crazy! If dehydration didn't kill me, slipping on the puddle under me would!"

The pee breaks can be a nice rest.

You got me. I laughed.

I will say the prepared food is good though, unlike most grocery stores' prepared stuff. And most is high quality, not just tasty junk. H and I like Wegman's because the meat is top notch, but cheaper than Whole Foods--or at least pre-Amazon buying Whole Foods prices. The bacon at the meat counter....oh man! OH MAN!!

And that right there is the power of JSF. There are been plenty of times where I did a workout--or pushed myself harder in one--or didn't eat some crap because I thought "Damn, I don't want write THAT in my journal!"

Jaer
    doesn't shop at Wegman's often, cause it's far, but they have good "diet" snacks, like mutligrain chips and the like. For someone eating 100% clean, doesn't matter, but for those who like the occasional junky snack with their hummus/guac/salsa...good stuff at a good price.

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Absolutely agree. Either I wrote something and didn't want to have to write that I didn't follow through or I didn't do something because I didn't want to have to 'fess up the next day.

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

doesn't shop at Wegman's often, cause it's far, but they have good "diet" snacks, like mutligrain chips and the like. For someone eating 100% clean, doesn't matter, but for those who like the occasional junky snack with their hummus/guac/salsa...good stuff at a good price.

I will be back at Wegmans, since I bought a refillable cup of coffee. It was very strong coffee, usually caffeine has not affect on me, but that cup did. I lack control, so I can't buy diet chips, since when you eat the whole bag in one sitting, they are not diet anymore.

Glad your results were good. I was told the same thing about kidney cysts last week; imaging is so good now that they are much more easily detectible than in years past and while most people of a certain age have them almost none of them cause issues.

FWIW, I got a flu shot today. :lol:

Thank you. Amazing that we both had the same thing, and both got the flu shot the same day. Talk about coincidence.

Running today: 7.23; w-t-d: 21.66; m-t-d: 14.42

Friday - 10/06/17. 75 treadmill, 20 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 6/6. I was at Whole Foods on Saturday, and after that trip, my extra cell phone was missing, and I used it in the store. It was an unlocked phone, with no service. But it was good to use instead of my regular cell phone when there was wi-fi available for internet access. I went back to Whole Foods today to check the lost and found, no luck. The Whole Foods is in Bergen Town Center (a shopping mall), So while I didn't go to any other stores on that first trip, I thought maybe I dropped it in the parking lot, so I went to the mall management office - no luck. I need to check my car again. A quick look, I didn't see it. But the seats are black, the carpet is black, and the cell phone is black. Maybe a more thorough check will produce it. Tomorrow I hope to train legs, or back.

Thurs calories: 3477
    Carbs: 464 53%
    Protein: 150 17%
    Fat: 126 33%
    sodium: 3056 mg

#7033 Shamie, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running Saturday: 1.51; w-t-d: 1.51; m-t-d: 15.93

Running today: 13.71; w-t-d: 15.22; m-t-d: 29.64

Sat - 10/7/17. legs, lite abs, 15 treadmill, 15+10 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 7/7.

Sun - 10/8/17. 150 minutes treadmill, 20+10 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 8/8. NYC marathon is 4 weeks from today. I am ill prepared, but I think I can finish (probably in the dark):(. I did learn something today, I am going to be very liberal with the Power Gels during the race. I felt so much better today, after I had the Power Gel after 65 minutes, and again at 130 minutes. I remember reading when Lance Armstrong ran the NYC marathon, he consumed about 20 packets of Power Gel during the race. I usually have 4-5. Tomorrow I hope to train arms, and run for 10 minutes. Diet is a little out of whack (having too many carbs), I have so much fruit in my house (plums, 2 pineapples, grapes, apples, Kiwi, bananas), and I am finishing a bag of russet potatoes that I had bought. But since diabetes apparently is not an issue for me currently, I am not overly concerned. But I do want to finish the potatoes (and not buy anymore), and just stick with apples and bananas. Tomorrow is Columbus Day, and while I have to work, I am pretty sure it will be easy to get a parking spot tomorrow in the park & ride. That is good, since it is supposed to rain tomorrow.

Fri calories: 3525
    Carbs: 518 59%
    Protein: 137 16%
    Fat: 111 28%
    sodium: 2731 mg

Sat calories: 3320
    Carbs: 505 61%
    Protein: 106 13%
    Fat: 111 30%
    Total: 104%
    sodium: 2748 mg

#7034 Shamie, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 1.02; w-t-d: 16.24; m-t-d: 30.66

Mon - 10/9/17. arms; abs, 10 minutes treadmill, 20 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 9/9. I almost forgot to run today. Tomorrow I plan to train either shoulders, or run for 75 minutes (depending on how I feel tomorrow morning). Even though I did go overboard on the carbs yesterday, at least they were quality carbs, and no junk carbs. Mostly fruit, potatoes, 2 English muffins, after workout LaraBar, and 2 Power gels during time on treadmill. I didn't realize so many people got off for Columbus day - the park & ride was 1/2 full today. I got to work in no time today, the same scheduled bus I usually take, got to Manhattan 1/2 hour earlier than usual. I hope the trip home is the same.

Sun calories: 3476
    Carbs: 650 75% :eek:
    Protein: 96 8%
    Fat: 67 17%
    Total: 100%
    sodium: 2159 mg

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 1.02; w-t-d: 17.26; m-t-d: 31.68

Tues - 10/10/17. shoulders, abs, 10 minutes treadmill, 15 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 10/10. I like running the 10 minutes before the sauna. 10 minutes goes by so fast. I can run faster due to the shorter period. Today is like summer outside, it is almost too hot, but I will regret saying that once it gets cold. Tomorrow I plan to run.

Mon calories: 3567
    Carbs: 494 55%
    Protein: 156 17%
    Fat: 114 29%
    Total: 101%
    sodium: 3107 mg

#7036 Shamie, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 7.24; w-t-d: 24.50; m-t-d: 38.92

Weds - 10/11/17. 75 treadmill, 15 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 11/11. Unlike yesterday, when I wrote "10 minutes goes by so fast", today the 75 minutes on the treadmill went by so so slow. New sauna study results came out (from Finland, where else?:)). The people taking sauna's 4-7 times a week had 50% less elevated blood pressure then the group who only took sauna's once a week. The funny thing about the studies from Finland, they compare the people who take sauna's once a week (the low end of the study), the high end is (6-7 times a week). I guess It is like it would be unheard of to not take sauna's at least once a week (in Finland). In the US, I would bet 99% or more of the people don't even take a sauna once a week (or even once a year). I read an interesting statistic (interesting to me that is), Finland is a country of 5.5 million people, and there are 3.5 million sauna's in Finland. :eek: Tomorrow I plan to train back (or legs).

I attached the link below:

Frequent sauna bathing keeps blood pressure in check

Tues calories: 3498
    Carbs: 486 56%
    Protein: 156 18%
    Fat: 113 29%
    sodium: 2945 mg

#7037 Shamie, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Without any investigation I absolutely believe your assertion about the number of people in the USA who take weekly saunas. For the record, even though my gym has one, I would be in the vast majority of non users.

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I must be a bad salesman. All the good things I say about the sauna, and you haven't tried it. :lol:

Running today: 2.01; w-t-d: 26.51; m-t-d: 40.93

Thurs - 10/12/17. legs, abs, 20 minutes treadmill, 20 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 12/12. I am off from work today and tomorrow, so I had extra time at the gym this morning. But I ran the 20 minutes today (instead of 10), because I was watching the end of the Price is Right, and wanted to see who won the showcase showdown. :o Apparently I am not good on prices. For a trip to Argentina, and a boat, this guy bid something like $25,000, and I thought he was way over, and the actual price was just under $42,000. The women bid $28,000 for her showcase, which included a VW Golf (I thought the car alone was $25K+). I thought she was way under, but I thought she would win because he was way over. But the actual price was just under $29,000, and she won. I am nostalgic for the show, it brings me back to my youth. But enough talk of the Price is Right.:boredtodeath: I had a very good leg day. Someone apparently stole the sleeve(s) that you put around the barbell for when doing squats, since it is the 2nd week it is missing. I realize hardcore squatters don't use the sleeve, but I am not hardcore. Maybe it is a good thing though, since maybe I can get used to doing squats without the sleeve. I did wrap around a small towel around the barbell, but it didn't help much. The barbell on my traps didn't feel as bad as I anticipated. Squatted 110 reps today, 1x20 135, 1x20 145, 1x20 155, 1x20 165, 1x20 175, 1x10 185. I85 is a recent pr. My goal is 2 plates on each side, 225 (not 20 reps though). I was thinking it wouldn't happen in this lifetime, but maybe it can. Tomorrow I plan to run.

Weds calories: 3732
    Carbs: 505 54%
    Protein: 160 17%
    Fat: 130 31%
    sodium: 3065 mg

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Congrats on the squat PR!

As for "selling" me on the sauna, I actually like them, but don't make the time to enjoy them.