1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Glad the A1C is normal.

Does LA Fitness have a sauna as well?

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thanks.

Thank you. Never saw the Game of Thrones. :o But I appreciate the reference.

Thank you. I am always concerned about diabetes, as my mom died from complications from Diabetes. One brother of hers had to have his leg amputated from diabetes, and a sister also died from the disease.

Yes it has a sauna, I couldn't go to a gym without a sauna. :nod: It is smaller than the Lifetime sauna, but it is arranged better, so about the same number of people could fit (though it is half the size). Lifetime has a bench against one wall, this one has a bench on 2 sides. The Lifetime sauna, had a constant temperature of 182. This sauna varies, today it was slightly over 190, sometimes it is as low as 170 etc. The other difference, is that the Lifetime sauna was very bright, you could read in it. This sauna has a light fixture, but too dark to read. I don't bring my phone in (many do), because the heat might damage it.

Running today: 7.26; w-t-d: 14.47; m-t-d: 42.11

Weds - 9/13/17. 75 treadmill, 20 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 13/13. At the prior gym, the amount of time you could spend on the treadmill was unlimited. This gym, the most time you can set it for is 60 minutes, plus 5 minutes cool down period. Once it is finished, you could set it for another 65 minutes (it's not like there is a time limit, especially at 5:00 am, when almost nobody is using them). It is easier to continue running for 75 straight, then to have the machine shut off, and you have to set it for another 10 minutes. It is the same, but it is easier to throw in the towel after 65 minutes, and call it quits. Tomorrow I plan on some kind of weight training.

Tues calories: 3038
    Carbs: 323 43%
    Protein: 162 21%
    Fat: 130 39%
    Total: 103%
    sodium: 2863 mg

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct.

3. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

I read the books long before it was a TV show (nerd!), but SPOILER ALERT!, don't hold your breath for anything good to happen to the Stark family.

Jaer
    likes the TV show, but it is very violent and a big time suck. They are now beyond the 5 books written by George R. R. Martin, so who knows how much of the plot aligns to the author's vision.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Yep I write as one of the guilty ones. :-)

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I do plan on eventually watching the series. But I get weary of investing all of this time in these series. There are so many seasons already, it seems overwhelming. There are so many to watch, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Mad Men, Homeland etc. For Homeland, I have watched the first 2 or 3 seasons already, and I think now they are on their 5th Season.

Running today: 0.00; w-t-d: 14.47; m-t-d: 42.11

Thurs - 9/14/17. legs, lite abs, 20 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 14/14. Usually I don't sweat that much lifting, today I was drenched almost like I was running. Probably it is an indication of nothing, but I go by the sweat meter to determine if I had a good workout. Tomorrow I plan to run. Since tomorrow is 1/2 way through the month, I should be able to reach 100 miles again this month. I hope to do a long run on Sunday, but I have come to terms with the marathon, pretty much expect on having the same slow speed as the prior year, when I was also ill prepared. But there are less than 2 months left to prepare. I don't know how I let the same thing happen again this year. :bang:

Weds calories: 3132
    Carbs: 319 41%
    Protein: 157 20%
    Fat: 151 43%
    Total: 104%
    sodium: 2861 mg

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 7.40; w-t-d: 21.87; m-t-d: 49.51

Friday - 9/15/17. 75 treadmill, 15 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 15/15. Gotta say I felt great running today. The higher calories below actually occurred the day before. That morning, someone in this office had a party at their house, and brought in leftover marzipan, those desserts that look like miniature fruit. I had 4 or 5 pieces. I never would buy them, since they tasted like pure sugar, but at least they were good and worth the calories. Then in the afternoon, once a month they celebrate the office birthday parties, and I had a piece of cake. The cake looked like a piece of art work, but the icing was made of fondant, and tasted like glue (wasted calories). Tomorrow I plan to train back, and abs.

Thurs calories: 3752
    Carbs: 483 51%
    Protein: 162 17%
    Fat: 147 35%
    sodium: 2795 mg

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 0.00; w-t-d: 0.00; m-t-d: 49.51

Sat - 9/16/17. back; abs, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 16/16.

Sun - 9/17/17. chest; abs, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 17/17. I don't know if it is because this sauna is usually at least 10 degrees hotter than the other one, or that I have been spending less time during the week 15-20 minutes, but it is a killer to last 30 minutes now. No running this weekend, I feel drained of all of my energy yesterday and so far today. I ate a lot yesterday to get some energy, to no avail. But I did have fairly good workouts yesterday and today, but they took all of the energy I had. Tomorrow I hope to run.

Fri calories: 3790
    Carbs: 494 52%
    Protein: 128 14%
    Fat: 153 36%
    Total: 102%
    sodium: 2885 mg

Sat calories: 4289
    Carbs: 597 56%
    Protein: 178 17%
    Fat: 155 33%
    Total: 106%
    sodium: 4838 mg

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 7.26; w-t-d: 7.26; m-t-d: 56.77

Mon - 9/18/17. 75 treadmill, 15 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 18/18. Pretty good run today. Hopefully my calories will get back to normal today. I shouldn't say hopefully, they will get back to normal today. I am off to a good start. I had my usual Larabar after working out, and normally when I get to work, I eat 2 ounces of peanuts (1/8 of jar). Today I forgot the peanuts.:( So no food until I get home from work tonight, except coffee. I could have sworn I put the container in my back pack. I have a feeling I put them in my other back pack. I have a lighter backpack for the summer. I took the other backpack out to switch back to that, but didn't switch yet. I have a feeling I put the peanuts in that backpack. Tomorrow I plan to train arms. Last week I skipped arms, this week I am skipping shoulders.

Sun calories: 4372
    Carbs: 713 65%
    Protein: 194 18%
    Fat: 130 27%
    Total: 110%:confused:
    sodium: 7010 mg :confused:

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct

9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 0.00; w-t-d: 7.26; m-t-d: 56.77

Tues - 9/19/17. arms; abs, 25 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 19/19. Tomorrow I plan to run, but if not, I might train shoulders which I planned to skip this week. Don't know if running will happen, I am starting to feel rundown. But the workout streak is not ready to end yet (127 days). Calories not as low as I would like, but a big improvement over the past 3 days. Hopefully I can salvage September (nutritionally), and end the month strong.

Mon calories: 3345
    Carbs: 453 54%
    Protein: 111 13%
    Fat: 134 36%
    sodium: 2511 mg

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running today: 7.22; w-t-d: 14.48; m-t-d: 63.99

Weds - 9/20/17. 75 treadmill, 15 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 20/20. I thought I had allergies this week, my nose is running constantly, but I now think it might be a cold. I probably should have not run today, but I wanted to go to the gym to use to the sauna, to clear my sinuses. I think it worked, I do feel better now. When I get to where I park the car to commute to NYC, I saw the bus in the distance, ran to it, the guy before me gets on, then no seats. :( I walk to the closer bus stop, since everybody does it, so if you don't, there usually are few if any seats when it gets to the next stop. The next bus comes in 3 minutes, I am 3rd in line, the 2 guys get on, then no seats. But all turned out well, a bus came 2 minutes later, and was almost empty and got my own seat (a rarity). Normally I am reading or sleeping, but today in the Lincoln tunnel I am looking out the window. In the stop and go traffic, about half the people driving have their phone in their hand, and I saw 2 drivers actually texting while driving :mad:, and I was only looking out for a few minutes.

Tues calories: 3424
    Carbs: 446 52%
    Protein: 140 16%
    Fat: 137 36%
    sodium: 2778 mg

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct[

#7010 Shamie, Sep 20, 2017 at 9:17 AM
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017 at 9:28 AM
  11. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Better for your blood pressure if you read or sleep, I think!

Jaer
    is guilty of texting and driving. He's being better about it.

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I am amazed that there are not so much more auto accidents than there now are.

I blame the smart phone for all that is wrong in the world. :crazy:

Running today: 7.27; w-t-d: 21.75; m-t-d: 71.26

Thurs - 9/21/17. leg training, 20+10 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 21/21.

Friday - 9/22/17. 75 minutes treadmill, 15+10 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 22/22. Good workout both days. Even though the calendar today is the first day of fall, the weather today and the rest of the weekend is summer weather, Sunday it is supposed to be in the low 90's.:) My blood test taken the 3rd time in less than 3 months showed the liver enzymes were still elevated, so tomorrow I am going for an ultrasound of my liver. That is a non invasive test, where they put gel over the part of the abdomen where the liver is located, and a wand type of device goes over it, and takes photo's of the liver. That doesn't bother me, but if they find something, the next step would be to take a biopsy of the liver.:( The doctor cut down my methotrexate medication dosage in half due to the liver issue. My concern now is that the psoriasis will come back, since my skin has been 100% clear taking that drug. Hopefully 1/2 of the dosage is enough (I have my doubts). After ultrasound, I hope to train chest / abs or back / abs.

Weds calories: 3487
    Carbs: 442 51%
    Protein: 148 17%
    Fat: 141 36%
    sodium: 3831 mg

Thurs calories: 3442
    Carbs: 457 53%
    Protein: 127 15%
    Fat: 136 36%
    sodium: 2804 mg

13. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Hope nothing is wrong with your liver.

I was at yoga the other night and the lady next to me had psoriasis, I think. She definitely had a skin issue. At first I was ........ Then I thought, MACDIVER stop. There is nothing wrong with her. It isn't contagious. I then gave her credit to be brave enough to try yoga. It was a beginner class so I don't know how many classes she has been in. Doesn't matter. It is up to me and the rest of the class to embrace her courage to be there and to give her the encouragement to continue.