1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Your car is not that old. I'm surprised you had to replace the door seal.

120 minutes of running. Nice.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thanks about the run. I don't know what happened, but one day I noticed it was falling off above the top of the window. I barely ever open or close the window, so I was surprised that it happened.

Running / walking today: 0.00; w-t-d: 17.80; m-t-d: 47.94

Thurs - 8/17/17. shoulders; abs, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 17/17. Shoulder felt good today. I am not sure about running tomorrow (just don't feel like running). Usually though, once I start, I don't mind running. If I run tomorrow, I will have 2 days rest before the long run on Monday. If not running, I will train chest. I mentioned the glucose from the recent blood test was 109. Now recently, I have an almost insatiable thirst, which is a symptom of diabetes. I have cut down on carbs, and once I finish the russet potatoes that I have, going to stop buying them anytime in the near future. When they re-check my blood on 8/28, I should find out something.

Weds calories: 3315
    Carbs: 355 43%
    Protein: 136 16%
    Fat: 161 44%
    Total: 103%
    sodium: 2989 mg

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct.

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

Have them check your A1C as well. That represents your 3 month blood sugar average. It is a better indicator of where you are in the diabetes scale.

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you. They were supposed to take that this recent blood test, but the nurse told me they didn't. I am going to make sure that it is taken this time. I checked on the app to see the recent blood test results, but they still haven't updated it for that blood test. This doctor is the worst on getting results.

Running / walking today: 7.00; w-t-d: 24.80; m-t-d: 54.94

Friday - 8/18/17. 72 treadmill, 20 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 18/18. As I said yesterday, I didn't feel like running again, but as expected, once I start running, I don't mind it. Sunday I am running in an 8K in Central Park (France Run). Hard to believe, but this is only my second race of the year. Normally I run 10-12 races a year. But now that I am running more, I again want to start racing again. If for no other reason, than as training for the NYC marathon. I am registered for 6 races the rest of the year, including the NYC marathon, and the race Sunday. I can register for 3-4 races more in Nov & Dec, and try to get to 10. Tomorrow I hope to train either back or chest (hopefully chest). Happy Friday.

Thurs calories:2925
    Carbs: 309 42%
    Protein: 131 18%
    Fat: 140 43%
    sodium: 2479 mg

#6964 Shamie, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00; w-t-d: 0.00; m-t-d: 54.94

Sat - 8/19/17. chest; abs, 30+15 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 19/19. This week I am skipping legs (due to extra running day per week), and going to train back after my race tomorrow (if all goes to plan). Beautiful day by the pool today, for such a nice day it was pretty empty. A lot of people take vacations this week and next, since it is after camp ends, and before school starts. Gives me hope of getting a spot in the park & ride the next 2 weeks.

Fri calories:3365
    Carbs: 448 53%
    Protein: 135 16%
    Fat: 128 34%
    sodium: 3310 mg

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I agree that for the balance of the month you should have no problem getting a spot at your Park and Ride.

How did the race go?

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I hope so about the parking, tomorrow I will see. Race went good, but hard to believe I will be ready to run a marathon in approximately 9 weeks.

Running / walking Sunday: 4.97; w-t-d: 4.97; m-t-d: 59.91

Sun - 8/20/17. 8K race (4.97 miles), back; abs, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 20/20. Race went good, felt good running, and time was 10:38 per mile, versus the same race last year 10.41. But the race messed up my nutrition. When I got there, they had sort of a mini France festival (race sponsored by France), and I was starving, and ate 3 cookies. They weren't large cookies, but after the race I checked the package, each was 160 calories. After the race, though I promised myself if they had bagels, I wouldn't eat any, I ate two. Also 3 apples. A 5 mile race I estimate I burn 600 calories (120 per mile), yet I ate 1,400 calories. :confused: After getting to the gym, I thought I would do an abbreviated back training session, but I felt good, and did the complete workout I normally do. If I didn't do that, I probably could have run today.

Mon - 8/21/17. arms; abs, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 21/21. I did get to see the eclipse today. In NJ, the sun was only 70% blocked. I was confused, it said the eclipse was from about 1:20 pm to 4:00 pm, with 2:45 pm the time when the moon blocking the sun was at its height. Yet, even at 2:45, it didn't get dark, the sun was out, though not as brightly. I was expecting it to look like dusk. I didn't have one of those glasses to look at the sun. But I saw a group of people with the glasses, looking up. I asked if I could look. It was cool, you saw exactly what they said, the sun was 70% blocked by the moon.

Sat calories:3485
    Carbs: 445 51%
    Protein: 157 18%
    Fat: 138 36%
    Total: 105%
    sodium: 3390 mg

Sun calories:4182
    Carbs: 637 61%
    Protein: 132 13%
    Fat: 123 26%
    Total: 100%
    sodium: 3189 mg

8. macdiver

Bronze Member

We had communal glasses at the office to view the eclipse. it was pretty cool but I thought it would get darker as well.

You ran the race a little faster this year so that is good.

9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

In part of the US out west, where it was more of a total eclipse, it did get dark there. Glad you were able to experience it. Anytime you run faster (even slightly) when you are a year older, it is a good thing.

Running / walking today: 6.30; w-t-d: 11.27; m-t-d: 66.21

Tues - 8/21/17. 65 treadmill; 18 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 22/22. Felt good running today. I planned to get the gym very early so I can run longer, but the opposite happened, and got there late. Yesterday I tried to compensate by eating less, to make up for the day before when I ate 4,000+ calories. Tomorrow I hope to train shoulders.

Mon calories:2183
    Carbs: 229 42%
    Protein: 109 20%
    Fat: 100 41%
    sodium: 1918 mg

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Nice race.

It wasn't very dark here, but there was a certain eeriness due to the shadows. I didn't have glasses so didn't see the eclipse, but if I was working and didn't know about the event I doubt I would have noticed it.

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I agree, if there was no news of the eclipse, it would have come and gone, and I would not have noticed.

Running / walking today: 0.00; w-t-d: 11.27; m-t-d: 66.21

Weds - 8/23/17. shoulders; triceps, abs; 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 23/23. Tomorrow I hope to run. Other than that, I can think of nothing to write today. :blank:

Tues calories: 3365

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I agree, if there was no news of the eclipse, it would have come and gone, and I would not have noticed.

Running / walking today: 0.00; w-t-d: 11.27; m-t-d: 66.21

Weds - 8/23/17. shoulders; triceps, abs; 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 23/23. Tomorrow I hope to run. Other than that, I can think of nothing to write today. :blank:

Tues calories: 3365

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 7.20; w-t-d: 18.47; m-t-d: 73.41

Thurs - 8/24/17. 75 treadmill; 20 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 24/24. Now I am more of a purpose for running, I am trying to "Outrun Diabetes". I had mentioned I have had insatiable thirst recently, but I was thinking maybe I wasn't drinking enough, plus all the time spent each day in the sauna, that was probably the real reason. Now I think I am really getting diabetes. I drank water before I left the gym, by the time I got to the park & ride in 15 minutes, I was thirsty. Plus, I have to pee much more often (another sign of diabetes). I am really working on cleaning up my diet. I want to get the carbs closer to 200 grams per day, and now I have more of an urgency to lose more weight. Tomorrow I hope to train chest.

Weds calories: 3207
    Carbs: 328 41%
    Protein: 150 19%
    Fat: 152 43%
    sodium: 2851 mg

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00; w-t-d: 18.47; m-t-d: 73.41

Friday - 8/25/17. chest; abs; 20 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 25/25. Good chest training session today. Even though I had no time for the sauna, I made time, and got to work 10 minutes late. Commuting to NYC during the rush hour in the morning, they have one lane on Route 3 that takes you into the Lincoln tunnel exclusively for buses. In order to get into the bus lane, buses have to merge into it from different directions, so there is usually a big backup where the NJ Turnpike meets Route 3, to get into the bus lane. On Friday's, especially in the summer, there is usually no traffic in the regular lanes, but nevertheless, the buses still wait to merge into the bus lane. This takes 20 minutes, and is such a waste of time, when it is totally unnecessary, when the buses can use the regular lanes, and avoid the wait. It is very frustrating. Tomorrow I hope to do the long run, and get that over with for this week. Probably that won't happen, if not, will train legs. Happy Friday.

Thurs calories: 3257
    Carbs: 322 40%
    Protein: 153 19%
    Fat: 161 45%
    Total: 104%
    sodium: 2931 mg

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I know exactly where you're talking about although I'm never there during rush hour. Is it possible that the bus lanes provide a discounted toll to the buses that the car lanes don't?

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I don't think that is the reason. Oddly, the prior Friday, they made an announcement to the drivers over the bus communication system, that there is no traffic, and the buses can use the regular lanes, and I got to work 20 minutes earlier. That was the first time I ever heard them make that announcement.

Running / walking today: 12.20; w-t-d: 12.20; m-t-d: 85.61

Sat - 8/26/17. 130 minutes treadmill; 30+20 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 26/26. Surprisingly, I got the long run done today, so I an enjoy the rest of the weekend without having to think of it. Felt good running, but I wanted to run 13.10 miles (1/2 marathon distance), but I had enough after 130 minutes. At the gym, I carry a stainless steel water bottle with me. I even bring it into the sauna (covered with a small towel - so it doesn't get hot). Sometimes after the sauna, I bring it with me to the shower, sometimes after the sauna I leave it on the bench in front of my locker. About a week ago, I get to the gym and is missing from my gym bag. Coincidentally, about a week ago, I bought a new water bottle, to keep in my backpack I use for commuting. I thought, good timing. Today, I take the cardboard off the package, and start using it for the first time. It wasn't a junky type, but a Contigo, so it wouldn't spill in my backpack. I use it today for the gym, take a sauna and have it with me. I take a quick shower before going into the pool, but before the shower, leave it folded in a small towel near my locker. There was no one in that aisle of the locker room when I was there. I am not gone 3 minutes, and someone took the water bottle I only got to use one time. :mad: In the scheme of things, having a water bottle taken by a thief is not the worst thing in the world. But it bothers me that someone would take it. I did check with lost and found for both water bottles, as well as my running shoes that were taken this summer, with no results. Though tomorrow I am not just standing by the phone when they check the lost and found, I am going to go to where the lost and found is located, and look myself. I have a feeling, they are not looking very hard. Tomorrow I am training legs, as well as running 2 miles (hopefully). I have 5 days to run 15 miles to reach 100 miles for August.

Friday calories: 3137
    Carbs: 323 40%
    Protein: 147 19%
    Fat: 147 42%
    Total: 102%
    sodium: 2971 mg

#6976 Shamie, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 2.42; w-t-d: 14.62; m-t-d: 88.03

Sun - 8/27/17. legs; abs, 25 treadmill, 25+25 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 27/27. Surprisingly, my feet felt fresh today, and I felt good running. Good leg workout also, last time I trained legs was 2 weeks ago. As expected, no luck in finding my missing stuff in the lost and found of the gym. Today is the last day of the bag of russet potatoes. I will miss eating them, but I want to lower carbs (82 grams daily in one pound which I ate daily), until at least I find out if there is a diabetes issue. Tomorrow I am off from work, and getting a blood test for the glucose, and A1C blood test, so I have longer than usual to workout. Unsure about workout tomorrow, maybe arms, maybe the back training I skipped this week, I would like to also run 2-3 miles tomorrow.

Sat calories: 3277
    Carbs: 330 40%
    Protein: 148 18%
    Fat: 161 44%
    sodium: 2611 mg

#6977 Shamie, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  18. macdiver

Bronze Member

Man, that sucks. Stealing your water bottles. WTF. :curses:

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

This! ^ Grrrrr!

20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yes, it is crazy. For who would want to drink out of a water bottle someone else used. After all, they didn't know it was new.

Running today: 3.06; w-t-d: 17.68; m-t-d: 91.09

Mon - 8/28/17. triceps, shoulders; abs; 32 treadmill, 20 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 28/28. Also did an abbreviated back training, just lat pull downs, and assisted chin ups, 5 sets of each (since I skipped back training this week). Just got back from getting my blood test at the doctors. He wants me to get an ultrasound test done for my liver. I went back there today, because he wanted to take another blood test to see if whatever was elevated with my liver is still elevated. I said to him, maybe before I take the ultrasound, you should get back the blood results that he is taking today, since maybe whatever was elevated, is no longer elevated. He said no. Take the ultrasound, and come back and he will go over the blood test results and the ultrasound. I was thinking of course, you are not paying for the ultrasound and the second office visit.:nod: And since I get no insurance coverage until I reach a deductible of $2,000 for the year, easily it will cost $300+. He didn't seem concerned about the glucose being 105 (over 100 cutoff for diabetes), but agreed to take the A1C blood test. I told him about how thirsty I am all the time. I drank 2 glasses of water about an hour before going to the doctor, and I was dying of thirst as I was talking to him. Blood pressure was good, 120/80. Tomorrow I plan to run for 65-70 minutes.

Sun calories: 3331
    Carbs: 373 45%
    Protein: 126 15%
    Fat: 155 42%
    sodium: 2409 mg