1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 14.57; m-t-d: 39.77

Friday - 5/26/17. leg training, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 22/26. Very good leg day today. Next week is going to be a short work week. Not only off on Monday - Memorial Day, but this company is closed on Weds & Thurs (Jewish holiday's). :claphigh: Tomorrow I hope to train back; abs & run. I hope I can get myself to run, since I would like to reach at least 50 miles for the month of May. I can do that if I run for 35 minutes on Sat, Sun & Mon. I would say I hope to see good results on the scale Sunday, but I am not feeling it. Happy Memorial Day weekend.

Thurs calories: 3171
    Carbs: 395 50%
    Protein: 132 17%
    Fat: 127 36%
    Total 103%
    sodium: 3576

For 390 days, until 1/1/18, for food, only buying vegetables / fruit / nuts / protein. No processed food (except apple sauce), or grains (except oatmeal).

Day 171 / 390

Food purchases made so far, not in above categories:

pasta, pasta sauce, wheat thins, peanut m&m's, potato pancake mix, chocolate bars, progresso soup, toblerone bars, popcorn, pretzels, Werthers Original hard candy (for my throat - when I was sick), Good & Plenty candy, Twizzlers, Poptarts, jelly beans.

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct.

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Galloway's book has different plans for different time goals if I recall correctly. It has been a few years since I read his book. His plans are good for average runners not just for sub 3 runners like most other training plans. I used his beginner plan for my first marathon. I just didn't take the walk breaks.

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

THank you. I will look into it.

Running / walking today: 3.38. w-t-d: 3.38; m-t-d: 43.05

Sat - 5/27/17. back, ab training, 35 treadmill, 25+10 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 23/27. Tomorrow I hope to train same as today, except chest instead of back.

Fri calories: (Don't have with me)
    Carbs: %
    Protein: %
    Fat: %
    Total %
    sodium:

For 390 days, until 1/1/18, for food, only buying vegetables / fruit / nuts / protein. No processed food (except apple sauce), or grains (except oatmeal).

Day 172 / 390

pasta, pasta sauce, wheat thins, peanut m&m's, potato pancake mix, chocolate bars, progresso soup, toblerone bars, popcorn, pretzels, Werthers Original hard candy (for my throat - when I was sick), Good & Plenty candy, Twizzlers, Poptarts, jelly beans.

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 3.96. w-t-d: 7.34; m-t-d: 47.01

Sun - 5/28/17. chest, ab training, 40 treadmill, 20+15 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 24/28. Lucky I start back at Lifetime Fitness tomorrow, or there would be no workout tomorrow. Lifetime hours are 4:00 am to 12:00 am 7 days a week. LA Fitness (current gym) opens at 8:00 on the weekends and holidays. Hopefully I can get myself to pretend it is like a normal day workout at 5:00 am, and go to the gym. Tomorrow arms, abs and 35-40 minutes treadmill. While May hasn't been a terrible month nutritionally, I hope to improve in June. Too many carbs, too much salt in May. In June, I want to get calories under 3,000 a day consistently. The prior week I gained .60 pounds, this week I lost that .60 pounds, back to where I was.

Fri calories 3113:
    Carbs: 418 54%
    Protein: 101 13%
    Fat: 115 33%
    Total 100%
    sodium: 1825

Sat calories 3333:
    Carbs: 446 54%
    Protein: 115 14%
    Fat: 120 32%
    Total 100%
    sodium: 3005

Day 173 / 390

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 6.28. w-t-d: 13.62; m-t-d: 53.29

Mon - 5/29/17. arms, ab training, 25 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 25/29.

Tues - 5/30/17. 65 treadmill, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 26/30. Today I am fasting until tomorrow morning, after eating my LaraBar after working out, and the 2 ounces of peanuts I just ate. I will be having coffee. Tomorrow I hope to train shoulders, abs. On Saturday, I had AAA come over, and try to start my old car (again). I thought the problem was lack of gasoline (longshot possibility). He said it most likely was the fuel pump (like the prior AAA guy). But he did offer me a suggestion. He said if I opened the intake valve, and sprayed it with starter fluid, the car would start, and then I could put it in the garage. So I might try that, and if that works, I will temporarily put the car in the garage, until the driveway is resurfaced. The other part of me (the non hoarder part of me), thinks I should just donate the car, and stop holding on to things. So tomorrow, I will either try the starter fluid, or donate the car, and have them pick it up on Thursday.

Sun calories 3281:
    Carbs: 524 64%
    Protein: 112 14%
    Fat: 80 22%
    Total 100%
    sodium: 2963

Mon calories 3052
    Carbs: 405 53%
    Protein: 73 10%
    Fat: 134 40%
    Total 103%
    sodium: 1643

Day 175 / 390

#6865 Shamie, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 13.62; m-t-d: 53.29

Weds - 5/31/17. shoulders, triceps, abs, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 27/31. Pretty good workout, I am still getting used to the equipment at Lifetime Fitness. I would say 80% is the same as LA Fitness, but there are some differences. One thing I like about LA Fitness is that the dumbbells increase at 2.50 pound increments until 50 lbs. Lifetime Fitness increase at 5.00 pounds. Another difference, LA Fitness doesn't have 35 lb plates, if you want 35 pounds, take a 25 + 10 plate. Seems like a good idea to me. Tomorrow I am going to train legs (my usual Friday workout), since I will have more time tomorrow. Then I will run on Friday. I did fast yesterday, only having 570 calories the whole day. One LaraBar after working out, and 2 ounces of peanuts at 9:00 am. It doesn't show 570 below, because that also includes stuff I ate on Monday (after I completed journal), and a small bag of Fritos & potato chips someone gave me at work on Friday that I forgot to include Friday. I hope to make the fast a weekly thing on Tues each week.

Tues calories 2970:
    Carbs: 532 72%:confused:
    Protein: 30 4% :confused:
    Fat: 86 26%
    Total 102%
    sodium: 935

Day 176 / 390

#6866 Shamie, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
  7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 13.62; m-t-d: 00.00

Thurs - 6/01/17. leg; ab training, 30+15 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 1/1. I always like the start of a new month, full of options to make changes. Not that changes can't be made anytime, but it seems more fitting at the start of a new month. After being in the sauna for 15 minutes, another member comes in. He is fully dressed, like he is going to workout, I ask him if he comes in to warm up before working out (most popular use of sauna at this gym), or if he was done working out. When I go in the sauna, I always have a towel wrapped around my waist. I say that, because in the US, people generally don't go in the sauna naked (except sometimes old people go in the sauna naked). In Europe and Asia, they look at you like you are weird, if you don't come in naked (according to youtube). It would seem creepy to me if people in the sauna were naked. But I guess it would seem normal if that was the standard way like Europe or Asia. But I digress, he tells me he comes in after working out, he said some people come in to lose weight, but then he said to me, of course someone skinny like you doesn't come in for that reason. I said to him, that is the first time in my life someone called me skinny. I told him my boring story of how I used to be 252, and he said I looked like I have always been thin. He had a weight problem, I would guess he was 230, but about 5'7" or 5'8". He asked me how I lost the weight, I said basically "consistency".

Weds calories 3065:
    Carbs: 390 51%
    Protein: 131 17%
    Fat: 115 34%
    Total 102%
    sodium: 3494

Day 177 / 390

#6867 Shamie, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

And you are! :tucool:

9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you.

Running / walking today: 6.15. w-t-d: 19.77; m-t-d: 6.15

Friday - 6/02/17. 65 treadmill, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 2/2. Yesterday, I was taking the license plates off my old car that I am donating, the bolts holding the license plates were rusted, and would not budge (car: 17 years old). As I was looking on the shelf for the WD 40, I found a can of starter spray that the AAA guy recommended to get the car started that I didn't know I had. I thought, maybe that is a sign I should not donate the car, and put in the garage. But I also wrote yesterday in this journal, the start of the month is a good time to make changes. So I donated the car, and they are picking it up between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm today. I left the keys and title on the seat. As I was cleaning out the car, I found a $5.00 bill between the seats. :) (a sign I did the right thing by donating the car). Tomorrow I hope to train back, abs, and run.

Thurs calories: 2931
    Carbs: 376 51%
    Protein: 115 16%
    Fat: 113 35%
    Total 102%
    sodium: 2004

Day 178 / 390

#6869 Shamie, Jun 2, 2017
  10. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

very good

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you. Really I have no choice, unless I want to go back to being fat, unfit, and waiting to get diabetes and a heart attack. My dad was my age or younger when he had a heart attack.

Running / walking today: 0.00; w-t-d: 0.00; m-t-d: 6.15

Sat - 6/03/17. back; abs, 30+15 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 3/3. My car that I donated is gone. :cry: I did feel sad not see it on my driveway. But now I can have the driveway resurfaced. I hope next week. My next project is painting the front and side door to my house. After typing this, I am heading to the paint store to buy some paint. A dark shade of red to match the shutters. I would have gone to Home Depot, but I saw a commercial on tv for Benjamin Moore paint, specifically made for entrance doors. I probably only need a quart (or two), I think the kitchen door on the side of the house will need 2 coats. I wanted to run, but my legs felt weak today. Hopefully tomorrow I can train chest, abs, and run.

Friday calories 3100
    Carbs: 461 60%
    Protein: 76 10%
    Fat: 98 28%
    Total 98%
    sodium: 1000

Day 179 / 390

#6871 Shamie, Jun 3, 2017
  12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 1.38; w-t-d: 1.38; m-t-d: 7.53

Sun - 6/04/17. chest; abs, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 4/4.

Mon - 6/05/17. arms, 15 minutes running, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 5/5. I had a doctor's appointment at the rheumatologist today at 8:15, I missed all my bus connections. I should have gotten to work by 9:30, instead made it here at 11:30. That doctor for some reason, takes the blood pressure each visit (arthritis doctor). I tell him I went to get a cardiac assessment the local hospital was offering, and they said my blood pressure was high. So I tell him I started to eat bananas and potatoes daily for the potassium, and trying to cut down on salt. He said cutting down on salt might do something. But why increase potassium, what will that do? I really couldn't believe my ears, since anywhere you look regarding high blood pressure, they always recommend increasing potassium. Not knowing that, makes me question if I should continue going to him for arthritis, since if he didn't know that basic thing, how competent can he be as a doctor? There was another issue today also. Since I take this drug methotrexate for psoriatic arthritis, you have to get your blood checked every 8 weeks (testing liver function). I tell him I am going to my regular doctor on 6/21, and he will do the blood test, instead of me going directly to the lab. I take the medication every Saturday. He checks and said 6/21 is a Wednesday and he tells me it is important to take the blood test the day before the medication is taken (Friday), or Saturday before taking the medication. He never once mentioned this tidbit of important information ever before in over a year I have been taking this drug. :confused: Tomorrow I plan to run.

Sat calories: 3151
    Carbs: 404 51%
    Protein: 129 16%
    Fat: 118 34%
    Total 101%
    sodium: 3384

Sun calories: 3254
    Carbs: 424 52%
    Protein: 130 16%
    Fat: 118 33%
    Total 101%
    sodium: 3690

Day 181 / 390

#6872 Shamie, Jun 5, 2017
  13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 6.23; w-t-d: 7.61; m-t-d: 13.76

Tues - 6/06/17. 65 treadmill, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 6/6. Tomorrow I hope to train shoulders, abs.

Mon calories: 3121
    Carbs: 408 52%
    Protein: 125 16%
    Fat: 115 33%
    Total 101%
    sodium: 3384

Day 181 / 390

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct.[/QUOTE]

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00; w-t-d: 7.61; m-t-d: 13.76

Weds - 6/07/17. shoulders; triceps, abs; 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 7/7. I walk into the sauna today, and someone is reading a magazine. All this time, it never occurred to me to spend the time reading, it was like a light bulb went off. But then I realized, the old gym had poor lighting in the sauna, and reading would have been impossible. But I am going to start bringing a magazine with me. Only issue is that I sweat much more than most, so it will have to be magazine that will be ready to be discarded. Tomorrow I hope to run for 65 minutes.

Tues calories: 3951
    Carbs: 522 53%
    Protein: 142 14%
    Fat: 144 33%
    Total 100%
    sodium: 3488

Day 182 / 390

#6874 Shamie, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 6.21; w-t-d: 13.82; m-t-d: 19.97

Thurs - 6/08/17. 65 treadmill; 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 8/8. I woke up so tired, and almost took a rest day. But I knew I would feel better after going to the gym, and I was right, I left feeling like a new person. Today sauna is fairly crowded, but quiet. Then another guy comes in, and doesn't stop talking to everyone for not even a minute. The funny thing was he said he belonged to another gym (Equinox), and they cancelled his membership for talking too much. That would sound unbelievable, but if you met this guy, you would believe it.:nod: I got to say though he had an interesting story. Parents are from South Korea. He said he works for his dad, and only works on Monday. His father bought an apartment building in the Bronx in 1981, for $48,000, and now it is worth $5,000,000. In 1981 the Bronx was at it's low point, and has had a turnaround in recent years. His father went on to buy 3 additional buildings (one in Manhattan), and they own 8 houses (I suppose he rents them). For the 20 or so minutes he was in the sauna, I knew his whole life story. Tomorrow I hope to train legs.

Weds calories: 3141
    Carbs: 402 51%
    Protein: 125 16%
    Fat: 125 36%
    Total 103%
    sodium: 3488

Day 183 / 390

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Gotta admit that's a new one for me, hearing about someone getting kicked out of gym for talking too much. :lol:

Kudos on pushing and getting to the gym!

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you. That guy was telling me today, he spends $750 a month a Lifetime. He has a family membership, his two kids take swimming lessons, and he spends about $150 a month in the Lifetime Cafe.

Running / walking today: 0.00; w-t-d: 13.82; m-t-d: 19.97

Friday - 6/09/17. legs, abs; 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 9/9. Strong leg training day today. I gained weight this week.:( I can feel it around my stomach. I weighed myself each day this week at the gym, and that confirmed it. I am eating too much, but I can't stop.:ohnoes: Tomorrow I hope to train back; abs and run.

Thurs calories: 3165
    Carbs: 428 54%
    Protein: 146 18%
    Fat: 103 29%
    Total 103%
    sodium: 3790

Day 184 / 390

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Sounds as if you now have a new gym buddy. :rolleyes: Pretty soon you'll know his mother's maiden name. More seriously, that's a large amount of money to spend at the gym.

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yes. I got to say, it was nice having the peace and quiet of the sauna today.

Running / walking today: 3.29; w-t-d: 3.29; m-t-d: 23.26

Sat - 6/10/17. back, abs; 35 treadmill, 30+15 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 10/10. Spent way too much time at the gym today. After working out, spent about 2 hours at the pool, sitting in the sun & shade, but not swimming. Tomorrow it is supposed to be in the 90's, and will go in the pool tomorrow. I wanted to get some sun, since I think my psoriasis has started to come back. It is not visible yet, but that itch to scratch my skin has returned slightly,. So far I have been vigilant about not scratching it. Sun is supposed to be good for psoriasis, as well as the sauna. In articles on the internet, when mention what is beneficial for psoriasis, they always say infrared saunas, and that is not what the gym sauna is (dry heat sauna). But nevertheless, I don't see why it wouldn't have the same benefit. Both are hot rooms that make you sweat. Tomorrow I hope to train chest; abs and run.

Friday calories: 3041
    Carbs: 389 51%
    Protein: 146 19%
    Fat: 105 31%
    Total 105%
    sodium: 3990

Day 185 / 390

#6879 Shamie, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 3.38; w-t-d: 6.67; m-t-d: 26.64

Sun - 6/11/17. chest, abs; 35 treadmill, 30+15 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 11/11. 99% of the time when I do cardio and lift the same day, I lift first. Today was an exception, since I knew there would be no running today if I waited until after lifting. I got to say that I did have a good lifting session, maybe the warming up beforehand from the cardio? Only drawback was that I only had one shirt, and it was soaked when I was done with the cardio. I tried to dry it with a hair dryer (not too successfully). Note to self, throw in one or two extra workout shirts in my gym bag. Usually on Monday I train arms, but I am going to move that to Tuesday, and do the 65 minutes of running tomorrow. I lift Fri, Sat & Sun, so it will be better to do the running on Monday, this will give me a 2 day rest before running 65 minutes again on Thursday.

Sat calories: 3041 (exact same as Friday)
    Carbs: 389 51%
    Protein: 146 19%
    Fat: 105 31%
    Total 105%
    sodium: 3990

Day 186 / 390