1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Feel better soon!

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you.

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 3.50; m-t-d: 16.00

Mon - 5/8/17. rest day. m-t-d workouts: 7/8.

Tues - 5/9/17. rest day. m-t-d workouts: 7/9. Still sick. Yesterday I took off from work, but today I went to work. Taking off from work yesterday was a good choice, since I feel a lot better today. I still might take another rest day from working out tomorrow, but hopefully I will feel good enough to workout.

Sunday calories: 3388
    Carbs: 462 55%
    Protein: 69 8%
    Fat: 154 41%
    Total 104%
    sodium: 2890

Mon calories: 2882
    Carbs: 296 41%
    Protein: 137 19%
    Fat: 124 39%
    Total 99%
    sodium: 3922

For 390 days, until 1/1/18, for food, only buying vegetables / fruit / nuts / protein. No processed food (except apple sauce), or grains (except oatmeal).

Day 153 / 390

Food purchases made so far, not in above categories:

pasta, pasta sauce, wheat thins, peanut m&m's, potato pancake mix, chocolate bars, progresso soup, toblerone bars, popcorn, pretzels, Werthers Original hard candy (for my throat - when I was sick), Good & Plenty candy, Twizzlers, Poptarts.

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct.

Food isn't safe around me, and I am not safe around food.

3. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Yes, feel better soon

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you. I do feel better, except for the cough.

Weds - 5/10/17. rest day. m-t-d workouts: 7/10. Still sick, but going to exercise tomorrow regardless. I hope it doesn't rain today or tomorrow, I am having a new roof put on my house tomorrow, and they are delivering the roofing materials today. Do I move slow or what, I started thinking of getting a new roof about 4 years ago. My next job is a new driveway. I already got 3 estimates, one did the house directly across from me, one did the adjacent house to that, and the 3rd did my cousins house. Only issue is that I have my old car on the driveway which won't start. AAA said it is the oil pump, which is not worth it to fix, since it needs other things done also. It is very low on gas, so this weekend, I am going to have AAA come back with some gasoline, and see if that is the real issue (no gas). That is a long shot, so If that is not the problem, I am going to donate the car.

Tues calories: 2875
    Carbs: 306 43%
    Protein: 132 18%
    Fat: 120 38%
    Total 99%
    sodium: 3652

For 390 days, until 1/1/18, for food, only buying vegetables / fruit / nuts / protein. No processed food (except apple sauce), or grains (except oatmeal).

Day 154 / 390

pasta, pasta sauce, wheat thins, peanut m&m's, potato pancake mix, chocolate bars, progresso soup, toblerone bars, popcorn, pretzels, Werthers Original hard candy (for my throat - when I was sick), Good & Plenty candy, Twizzlers, Poptarts.

#6844 Shamie, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
  5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I know you like the old car around to make it appears that someone is home while you're at work so even if it doesn't start is it feasible to push the darn thing into your garage until the driveway work is complete?

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Good memory. What you say could be done, but not by me. It sounds like a good idea, but some type of disaster probably would happen, like pushing the car through the bedroom wall adjacent to the garage etc. It would be better for the car to be put to use by a charity, than to sit on my driveway getting older each day. On the new driveway, I can take chalk and draw a picture of a car. :)

Thurs - 5/11/17. shoulders; triceps; abs; 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 8/11. It is hard to fight the inertia of taking another rest day, and going back to the gym today. It was more difficult than expected. I kept thinking, one more rest day, tomorrow would have been the same, and before I know it, I would have become a couch potato (again). I got myself to go, and after just missing one lifting day, and 2 running days, I felt rusty. I had to lift a bit lighter today, but towards the end of the workout, I felt back to normal. My plan was to stop sauna's during the week, and only take a sauna on the weekend. Then I decided, I had the time today, I would spend 15 minutes, then ended up spending 30 minutes. It is addictive.

Weds calories: 2871
    Carbs: 271 38%
    Protein: 138 19%
    Fat: 133 42%
    Total 99%
    sodium: 3932

Day 155 / 390

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 3.50; m-t-d: 16.00

Friday - 5/12/17. legs; abs. m-t-d workouts: 9/12. No sauna today. :( Good workout though. Roof that was installed looks good. It is a better color for the house "hickory", which is a reddish dark brown. Tomorrow will be a good test, they say 3 inches of rain. I am leaving work slightly early today, so I can get home and cut my lawn. I haven't cut it yet this season, we have been getting a lot of rain, and it is so overgrown. I won't be able to do it on Sat or Sun, since it is supposed to rain both days. I am hoping for a better Sunday scale weight, and get back in the 180's again. I feel thinner, but usually when I am expecting a loss, a weight gain on the scale happens.:confused: Tomorrow I hope to train back, abs, and run.

Thurs calories: 2957
    Carbs: 301 41%
    Protein: 133 18%
    Fat: 135 41%
    Total 100%
    sodium: 3548

Day 156 / 390

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 0.00; m-t-d: 16.00

Sat - 5/13/17. back, abs, 20 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 10/13. I had to cut workout short, because of a dental appointment. I got workout done, but wanted to also run, and spend 30 minutes in the sauna (not 20). As it turned out, I could have spent 30 or even 40 minutes, since I was kept waiting before they saw me. The old dentist retired, and this was the first time with the new one. That dentist, I never waited not even 5 minutes before they saw me, so I was rushing there, to get there on time. I was surprised to hear the prior dentist was 72, I would have guessed 62. I was sorry to hear he retired, he did excellent work. The tooth I broke on the avocado, looks no different than my other teeth, and feels no different. I just went for a cleaning today, and he didn't find any issues.

Friday calories:
    Carbs: %
    Protein: %
    Fat: %
    Total %
    sodium:

Day 157 / 390

9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 0.00; m-t-d: 16.00

Sun - 5/14/17. chest, abs, 30+15 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 11/14.

Mon - 5/15/17. rest day (unplanned). m-t-d workouts: 11/15. I woke up with the alarm, didn't get out of bed right away, next thing I knew, it was too late to go. I think I could use the rest day anyway, since I am not totally over my cough. Also, my chest feels congested still. I haven't run in a week. I hope to train arms tomorrow, run for 15 minutes (just to get used to running again), and spend 15 minutes in the sauna. My diet has not been the best recently, but I have kept calories to a reasonable level, considering what I have been eating. In 6 days, I ate 24 eggs. I almost never eat eggs, but I had 2 cartons of eggs that were coming to their expiration date, and didn't want to waste them. I bought them for another reason, but never ended up using them for what I planned. Yesterday, I ate a bag of Good & Plenty candy (1,400 calories). That is virtually all sugar, 360 grams, which is equivalent of 1.7857 cups of sugar (according to the internet). But that is in the past, I am moving forward. Each day I eat one banana, and one potato (not together).:) I don't really like bananas that much, but want to increase the amount of potassium I am consuming. Potatoes actually have much more potassium than bananas. I probably instead should be eating 2 potatoes daily (skipping the banana), since I like them much better.

Sat calories: 3292
    Carbs: 330 40%
    Protein: 131 16%
    Fat: 167 46%
    Total 102%
    sodium: 2238

Sun calories: 3331
    Carbs: 637 76% :confused:
    Protein: 61 7% :confused:
    Fat: 76 21%
    Total 104%
    sodium: 3266

Day 159 / 390

pasta, pasta sauce, wheat thins, peanut m&m's, potato pancake mix, chocolate bars, progresso soup, toblerone bars, popcorn, pretzels, Werthers Original hard candy (for my throat - when I was sick), Good & Plenty candy, Twizzlers, Poptarts, jelly beans.

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 1.42. w-t-d: 1.42; m-t-d: 17.42

Tues - 5/16/17. arms; abs; 15 treadmill; 15 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 12/16. Tomorrow plan on shoulders; abs; run 20 minutes, 15 sauna. Yesterday I wrote that I ate a bag of Good & Plenty candy on Sunday (14 ounces). I wrote that it was 1.7857 cups of sugar. Actually, it was approximately 250 grams of sugar, which is 1.25 cups of sugar. I was horrified after writing 1.7857 cups of sugar, and still horrified by 1.25 cups of sugar (but less so). Good I don't have diabetes, that would have probably put me in a diabetic coma.

Mon calories: 2907
    Carbs: 322 44%
    Protein: 107 15%
    Fat: 130 41%
    Total 100%
    sodium: 3447

Day 160 / 390

pasta, pasta sauce, wheat thins, peanut m&m's, potato pancake mix, chocolate bars, progresso soup, toblerone bars, popcorn, pretzels, Werthers Original hard candy (for my throat - when I was sick), Good & Plenty candy, Twizzlers, Poptarts, jelly beans.

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 1.44. w-t-d: 2.86; m-t-d: 18.86

Weds - 5/17/17. shoulders; triceps, abs; 15 treadmill; 20 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 13/17. Today I go in the sauna, and there is someone in there. I sit down, and it doesn't feel hot. I check the timer, it wasn't turned on. You would think the person in there already, would realize it wasn't turned on. It must have been on earlier, since it felt a little warm. It didn't take long for the room to heat up since it is a fairly small room, but that is why I stayed in 5 minutes longer than planned. Tomorrow I hope to run for 65 minutes. I got to say I like running the 15 minutes daily, the time passes so quickly, it is over before you know it. Instead of spending 30 minutes in the sauna, I can spend 15, since I am already sweating from the running when I go into the sauna.

Tues calories: 3075
    Carbs:333 43%
    Protein: 120 16%
    Fat: 140 41%
    Total 100%
    sodium: 3420

Day 161 / 390

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 6.35. w-t-d: 9.21; m-t-d: 25.21

Thurs - 5/18/17. 65 treadmill, 20 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 14/18. I felt good running today. Usually the sauna is 170-180 degrees, today for some reason it was about 192 degrees (according to the thermometer). I don't know if it was the running, or the extra 15-20 degrees, but it felt hot today. I had the time to spend 30 minutes, but 20 was the best I could do. Tomorrow I hope to train legs, abs, and spend some time in the sauna. I think I mentioned I changed my diet to include more items with potassium. Which so far is 1 banana a day, and one baked potato (with butter). :eat: Not too much butter. Yesterday was the last day I am adding half & half to my coffee daily. It is not bad to have (imho) infrequently, but when you are buying coffee each day out (M-F), it is not infrequently anymore. 11 more days, and I am back at Lifetime Fitness for the summer, starting on Memorial day.

Weds calories: 3185
    Carbs:356 45%
    Protein: 126 16%
    Fat: 142 40%
    Total 101%
    sodium: 3475

Day 162 / 390

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 9.21; m-t-d: 25.21

Friday - 5/19/17. leg training, 20 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 15/19. Tomorrow I plan on back, abs, running, sauna. I don't feel like I lost weight this week. :( But that may be a good sign, since normally when I expect good results on the scale, I am disappointed. Last week I weighed exactly the same as the week before. I am definitely going to be 185 or less by the end of June. No more excuses. TGIF.

Thurs calories: 3265
    Carbs:372 14%
    Protein: 112 14%
    Fat: 152 42%
    Total 102%
    sodium: 3019

Day 163 / 390

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 2.00. w-t-d: 2.00; m-t-d: 27.21

Saturday - 5/20/17. back; abs, 30+15 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 16/20.

Sunday - 5/21/17. chest; abs, 20 minutes treadmill, 30+15 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 17/21. I told myself if I could run 2 miles in 20 minutes or less, I could stop running. I made it by the skin of my teeth. Pretty pathetic that I have only run 27 miles in 3 weeks. Gained .60 pounds this week. :( Sad fact is that I am eating too much, and not doing enough cardio. On the other hand, I am definitely getting stronger, which might be because I cut down on cardio. That will be short lived though, since I need to ramp up mileage shortly to start marathon training. Tomorrow I hope to train arms, abs, run for 20 minutes, and spend 15 minutes in the sauna.

Friday calories: 3265 (identical food as Thursday)
    Carbs:372 14%
    Protein: 112 14%
    Fat: 152 42%
    Total 102%
    sodium: 3019

Saturday calories: 3496
    Carbs: 406 46%
    Protein: 122 14%
    Fat: 154 40%
    Total 100%
    sodium: 3176

Day 165 / 390

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 2.00; m-t-d: 27.21

Monday - 5/22/17. arms; abs, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 18/22. I had planned to run today, but my knees were bothering me today, maybe because it is damp out, which sometimes happens. I almost never give up on a book once I start reading it, but I gave up on Hanson's Marathon Method. That book is for someone who is a more serious runner than me, it is too much running for me. Minimum 50 miles per week (70 is better). I can't put that much time into running. I don't have a body that can handle that much running. I need to drop by the library this week to find a different book on marathon training. I ate 3,800 calories yesterday, what put me way over was a donut at Starbucks (480 calories), but it did taste pretty good. I ate the whole donut in under 30 seconds, no exaggeration. I hope to get calories lower starting today. Tomorrow if my knees feel better, I am going to run, otherwise I am going to train shoulders / abs tomorrow.

Sunday calories: 3828
    Carbs: 471 49%
    Protein: 97 10%
    Fat: 177 42%
    Total 101%
    sodium: 1947

Day 166 / 390

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

You can surely find info about marathon training online. Having run as many as you have, what is the impetus to change your training?

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

You can surely find info about marathon training online. Having run as many as you have, what is the impetus to change your training?

I want to get faster, to run the marathon somewhere under 5 hours. Sad fact that under 5 hours is faster. :( Only way that is achievable is through better training, and weight loss.

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 2.00; m-t-d: 27.21

Tuesday - 5/23/17. shoulders; triceps; abs, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 19/23. Knee wasn't bothering me today, but didn't feel like running. My usual feeling about running recently. Had a good workout. Tomorrow I hope I can get myself to run. As a poor substitute today, I am going to take a walk at lunch time. I have already walked about 5500 steps today. Hope to get to 12,000 steps today.

Monday calories: 3491
    Carbs: 437 50%
    Protein: 121 14%
    Fat: 148 38%
    Total 102%
    sodium: 3433

Day 167 / 390

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 6.32. w-t-d: 8.32; m-t-d: 33.52

Weds - 5/24/17. 65 treadmill, 25+5 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 20/24. Pretty good run today, but when I was at home, to get out of running, I was thinking of taking a rest day. I was dreading the thought of running. Oddly, once I start running, I can't say I like it, but I don't hate it either. I do like how I feel after I am done running. I need to see a psychiatrist to find out why I hate running so much these days.:) Tomorrow either I am taking a rest day, running for 65 minutes, or spending 30 minutes on the elliptical, and 35 running (in other words, undecided).

Tues calories: 3181
    Carbs: 394 50%
    Protein: 119 15%
    Fat: 133 38%
    Total 103%
    sodium: 3613

Day 168 / 390

19. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Look into Jeff Galloway. While he is THE run / walk guru, his plans are more for the average person. 70 mile weeks not for people running an 11 min pace. It is for the BQ types.

20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you. I know of his method, but I don't like the run / walk method of running. While it works well for others, for me, if I walk, it is hard to get myself to run again.

Running / walking today: 6.25. w-t-d: 14.57; m-t-d: 39.77

Thurs - 5/25/17. 65 treadmill, 20 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 21/25. I ran another 65 minutes today. Where is that emoji giving yourself a pat on the back? :) I realized whining about running is not good preparation for a marathon, actual running works better. :nod: Tomorrow I hope to train legs / abs.

Weds calories: 3161
    Carbs: 398 50%
    Protein: 116 15%
    Fat: 130 37%
    Total 102%
    sodium: 3503

Day 169 / 390