1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 3.41. w-t-d:10.14; m-t-d: 38.90.

Weds - 4/19/17. 30 elliptical; 35 treadmill; 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 18/19. Instead of running for 65, I ran for 35, but first spent 30 minutes on the elliptical. I might try to do the once a week fast day today. I want to get it over with. If not, it may not happen this week. Tomorrow I plan to run for 65 minutes (hopefully).

Tues calories: 3252
    Carbs: 392 48%
    protein: 122 15%
    fat: 136 38%
    Total: 101%
    sodium: 3628

For 390 days, until 1/1/18, for food, only buying vegetables / fruit / nuts / protein. No processed food (except apple sauce), or grains (except oatmeal).

Day 133 / 390

Food purchases made so far, not in above categories:

pasta, pasta sauce, wheat thins, peanut m&m's, potato pancake mix, chocolate bars, progresso soup, toblerone bars, popcorn, pretzels, Werthers Original hard candy (for my throat - when I was sick), Good & Plenty candy, Twizzlers, Poptarts.

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct.

Food isn't safe around me, and I am not safe around food.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 6.33. w-t-d:16.47; m-t-d: 45.23.

Thurs - 4/20/17. 65 treadmill. m-t-d workouts: 19/20. My 30 minutes a day daily sauna streak since 2/17 ended today. When I get to the gym, there is a note at the entrance to the locker room, that the sauna is closed for maintenance on 4/19 8:00 pm to 11:00 pm. I think good, today is 4/20. Yet there is a pink sign at the door, that a female is currently working in the men's locker room. When I see that sign, I always think, it would never be the other way around, that a man is working in a woman's locker room while they are using it.:dreamy: In any case, the maintenance wasn't done last night, and she was working on the sauna. Either I drop by the gym tonight, just to use the sauna, or my streak is ended. :( It did give me a lot of extra time this morning, I ran 6.33 miles, filled by car up with gas, stopped at Panera for a bagel, commuted to NY, bought my bus ticket, bought 7 t-shirts (white undershirts), and got to my office before 9:00 am. I didn't fast last night, and I don't think it is happening tonight. Tomorrow I hope to train legs.

Weds calories: 2972
    Carbs: 345 46%
    protein: 136 18%
    fat: 122 37%
    sodium: 4087

For 390 days, until 1/1/18, for food, only buying vegetables / fruit / nuts / protein. No processed food (except apple sauce), or grains (except oatmeal).

Day 134 / 390

pasta, pasta sauce, wheat thins, peanut m&m's, potato pancake mix, chocolate bars, progresso soup, toblerone bars, popcorn, pretzels, Werthers Original hard candy (for my throat - when I was sick), Good & Plenty candy, Twizzlers, Poptarts.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I hope you were able to keep your sauna streak alive since I know it's important to you.

FWIW, my gym has female workers to clean the women's locker room, but due to the gravitation of genders to certain occupations, when either electrical or plumbing work is necessary it's almost always a male in the that locker room and a large white board states as such.

Remind me, do you still have your two memberships?

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

No, streak has ended. It doesn't matter to me in the least that the streak ended. But today, I was back in the sauna.

I have 2 gym memberships, but they don't run concurrently. From Sept to the end of May, I am a member of LA Fitness. For the summer, I freeze that membership, and unfreeze my membership at Lifetime Fitness for the summer. But this is the last year for that, I am cancelling Lifetime at the end of this summer.

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d:16.47; m-t-d: 45.23.

Friday - 4/21/17. legs; abs, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 20/21. I wasn't able to fast yesterday. I should rephrase that, I was able to fast, (no body was force feeding me), but didn't. Tomorrow I hope to train back and abs.

Thurs calories: 2750
    Carbs: 383 56%
    protein: 109 16%
    fat: 92 30%
    Total: 102%
    sodium: 2070

Day 135 / 390

#6824 Shamie, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Sat: Running / walking: 3.33. w-t-d: 3.33; m-t-d: 48.56.

Sun: Running / walking: 3.32. w-t-d: 6.65; m-t-d: 51..88.

Sat - 4/22/17. back; abs, 35 treadmill, 30+15 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 21/22.

Sun - 4/23/17. chest; abs, 35 treadmill, 30+15 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 22/23. This week, I plan to fast on Tuesday, but if I am able (disciplined), it is going to be tomorrow. I was supposed to run in a 4 mile run today, I woke up with the alarm, went to bed for what was supposed to be 5 minutes, and woke up an hour later (too late to go). If I really wanted to go, I would have pressed the snooze button, instead of shutting off the alarm. So I guess I got what I wanted, which was not running in the race. Happy belated Earth Day.

Fri calories: 3172
    Carbs: 367 46%
    protein: 133 17%
    fat: 132 37%
    Total: 100%
    sodium: 3083

Sat calories: 3225
    Carbs: 319 40%
    protein: 110 14%
    fat: 177 49%
    Total: 103%
    sodium: 3130

Day 137 / 390

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 6.65; m-t-d: 51..88.

Mon - 4/24/17. arms; abs, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 23/24. Tomorrow I hope to run. Short on time today.

Sun calories: 3406
    Carbs: 376 44%
    protein: 169 20%
    fat: 136 36%
    sodium: 5318

Day 138 / 390

#6826 Shamie, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 6.22. w-t-d: 12.87; m-t-d: 58.10.

Tues - 4/25/17. 65 treadmill, 15 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 24/25. Got to gym late, and had to cut sauna short. But it didn't matter, since when I am done running, I am already sweating a lot, so when I go into the sauna, I start sweating immediately. I don't have to cook for 10 minutes before I start sweating, like if I use the sauna after lifting. Tomorrow I hope to train shoulders, abs, and run. I am from work tomorrow, so I will have extra time in the morning.

Mon calories: 3120
    Carbs: 373 48%
    protein: 131 17%
    fat: 135 39%
    Total: 104%
    sodium: 3772

Day 139 / 390

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 12.87; m-t-d: 58.10.

Weds - 4/26/17. shoulders, triceps, abs; 30+15 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 25/26. Today was my weigh in day for the week, I am back in the 180's, 189 to be exact. That is a 6 pound loss from the start of the year. I don't see a difference, but I am starting to get comments asking if I am losing weight. I didn't run today, since I plan on running tomorrow if time permits. I have to get to the gym exactly when it opens, or run is not happening. Most likely no more postings this week until Monday.

Tues calories: 3164
    Carbs: 449 57%
    protein: 43 5% :confused:
    fat: 144 41%
    Total: 103%
    sodium: 1144

Day 140 / 390

9. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

If I recall, you were headed to Ohio. Hope your trip went well.

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thanks.

Thurs running / walking: 4.18. w-t-d: 17.05; m-t-d: 62.28.
    Friday running / walking: 0.00. w-t-d: 17.05; m-t-d: 62.28.
    Sat running / walking: 6.40. w-t-d: 6.40; m-t-d: 68.68.
    Sun running / walking: 6.26. w-t-d: 12.66; m-t-d: 74.94.
    Mon running / walking: 0.00. w-t-d: 12.66; m-t-d: 0.00

Thurs - 4/27/17. 45 treadmill. m-t-d workouts: 26/27.
    Friday - 4/28/17. rest day. m-t-d workouts: 26/28.
    Sat - 4/29/17. 65 treadmill. m-t-d workouts: 27/29.
    Sun - 4/30/17. 65 treadmill. m-t-d workouts: 28/30.

Mon - 5/1/17. arms; abs; 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 1/1. It felt great to take a sauna again. I had a good trip, I drove (passenger) to Cincinnati, and flew back yesterday. There was no room for me on the return trip, since they had no room since they had to take back my nieces stuff from college. Even without me, they had to discard a lot of stuff that couldn't fit into the minivan. I had a good time, but the actual graduation was brutal. Something like 6,000 students graduated, and they read every name as they walked up to shake hands and pick up their diploma. Just that part took hours.:( It was supposed to rain (80% chance), but miraculously, the sun came out. Which was good, since they are constructing a new basketball arena, and there was no indoor plans if it rained. But it was a good trip. Like usual, I ate too much. I lack control around food. Unlike others who recently written how they gained no weight on vacation, in my situation, I know better than to weigh myself. The only saving grace was that I did run 2 of the days at the hotel gym. I ran Saturday, and I felt revitalized. I woke up on Sunday, thinking I didn't feel like running. But I thought how good the running made me feel on Saturday, and how stupid it was to be lazy. That got me to run. I hope to shed whatever weight I gained by my next weigh-in on Sunday (good I have almost a week). Hard to believe it is already May 1.

Weds calories: 3242
    Carbs: 351 43%
    protein: 128 16%
    fat: 148 41%
    sodium: 3545

Thurs - Sat calories: 6800 (daily average) guesstimate
    Carbs: 1000 59%
    protein: 200 12%
    fat: 230 30%
    sodium: 6100

Sun calories: 3090
    Carbs: 439 57%
    protein: 83 11%
    fat: 126 37%
    Total: 105%
    sodium: 1395

Day 145 / 390

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I'm glad the trip went well and kudos for getting those runs done.

I'm curious given our current environment, were you aware of any extra scrutiny because you bought a one way ticket?

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I'm curious given our current environment, were you aware of any extra scrutiny because you bought a one way ticket?

It's funny you say that, since that was the most comprehensive pat down that I ever had, by the end of that pat down, he probably could tell if I was circumcised or not. :( In addition, they opened my luggage, and took almost everything out, and they swiped the inside of the luggage with something, I am guessing testing for explosives. I guess I look like a terrorist.

Tues running / walking: 6.24. w-t-d: 18.90; m-t-d: 6.24

Tues - 5/2/17. 65 treadmill; 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 2/2. Short on time today.

Mon calories: 2942
    Carbs: 326 45%
    protein: 128 18%
    fat: 114 35%
    Total: 98%
    sodium: 3995

Day 146 / 390

#6832 Shamie, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
  13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Sounds like a bad experience Mr. Terrorist. :rolleyes:

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

If you want to travel by air, if a pat down is required, it is not a bad price to pay for improved safety.

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 18.90; m-t-d: 6.24

Weds - 5/3/17. shoulders; triceps; abs; 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 3/3. I feel as though I lost most of the weight I gained during vacation. But I didn't weigh myself after returning, and I haven't weighed myself yet. It is just that I feel back to normal. Yesterday when I was running, by the end of the run, my shoes were soaked due to so much sweating. Tomorrow I hope to run again for 65 minutes.

Tues calories: 2942 (I ate exactly what I ate the day before)
    Carbs: 326 45%
    protein: 128 18%
    fat: 114 35%
    Total: 98%
    sodium: 3995

Day 147 / 390

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 6.260. w-t-d: 25.16; m-t-d: 12.50

Thurs - 5/4/17. 65 treadmill; 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 4/4. Felt so tired when I woke up, had no coffee, but had a good run nevertheless. I just finished reading "The Case Against Sugar", by Gary Taubes. I kept on coming accross his name on the internet and on podcasts, so I thought I would read his book. Originally I thought it would be stupid, since who is saying sugar is good for you? But he lays out a pretty persuasive case for the increase in sugar consumption, causing the increase in diabetes, obesity, metabolic syndrome, gout, dementia and even cancer. Much of it read pretty much like a textbook, but it was informative.

Weds calories: 2807
    Carbs: 329 47%
    protein: 130 19%
    fat: 102 33%
    Total: 99%
    sodium: 4003

Day 148 / 390

16. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

look at Sugar Blues. if you haven't already

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

look at Sugar Blues. if you haven't already

Leftyx (Jordan)

Thanks. He mentioned that book in the acknowledgement section at the end of the book.

]Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 25.16; m-t-d: 12.50

Friday - 5/5/17. legs, abs, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 5/5. I had a good workout today, but felt so tired when I was done. I starting reading a new book "Hansons Marathon Method", since the NYC marathon is exactly 26 weeks from Sunday.:scared: I am sure I won't follow it to the letter, but maybe I can pick up some ideas how to get faster and train better. I only got through 5 minutes, then fell asleep on the bus until I got to NYC. Tomorrow I hope to train back, abs & run.

Thurs calories: 2701
    Carbs: 322 48%
    protein: 121 18%
    fat: 97 33%
    sodium: 3930

Day 149 / 390

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Twenty six weeks....at least you've been running. Just think about how I feel. I won't DNF, but I don't want to finish last either. :twitch:

On a more serious note, as soon as I finish writing this I'm going to look up the book you mentioned.

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

When I wrote about the NYC marathon, I was expecting a comment from you. :) But while I believe you believe what you say, you probably will finish before me like last time. :nod:

Running / walking today: 3.50. w-t-d: 3.50; m-t-d: 16.00

Sat - 5/6/17. back, abs, 35 treadmill, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 6/6. I hope to still be in the 180's tomorrow when I weigh myself. Probably won't happen though, but I want to have a positive attitude. I been working with this bank auditor all week at work, and yesterday for some reason the conversation turned to health. He is this skinny guy, and he tells me his cholesterol is in the 270's. He doesn't believe in statins. He said 1/2 the people who have heart attacks are normal cholesterol. While that may be true, if I were him I would take the medication. He did say he changed his diet to low fat, and his cholesterol only went down slightly. Must be genetic. Later for some reason, he mentioned something about organic fruit. I said I don't buy organic, and to be honest, many times I don't even wash apples (he looked at me like I was insane). But that made me think I should wash them, since most of the time I am in the kitchen already, but too lazy to wash them. My reasoning was that after the road races I run in, many times after the race they give you an apple, and they aren't washed. But going forward, I am definitely going to wash them (I started yesterday). The insane thing, was that he was concerned that not about the pesticides, but about that fact that other people touched the fruit who harvested the fruit, and other shoppers in the store who handled them, but didn't buy them.

Fri calories: 2887
    Carbs: 361 30%
    protein: 113 15%
    fat: 105 33%
    sodium: 3666

Day 150 / 390

#6839 Shamie, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
  20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 3.50; m-t-d: 16.00

Sun - 5/7/17. chest, abs, 30+15 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 7/7. Friday night waiting for the bus, I am standing on line behind this woman who sounds like she has tuberculosis. I move as far as I can from her, I should have gotten out of line, and moved to the back of the line. Flash forward to today, my nose is non stop running, my eyes are burning, and my throat is scratchy. I should have taken a rest day today, but I thought the sauna would do some good. Today is one day, where I left the gym feeling worse then when I arrived. I wanted to cut the lawn today, since the grass is very high (hasn't been cut once this season so far), but I won't be able to, even if I felt okay, it is going to rain soon.

Sat calories: 3,171
    Carbs: 349 44%
    protein: 120 15%
    fat: 141 40%
    sodium: 3360

Day 151 / 390