1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Do you have a humidifier in your house? If not, get a bottle of saline solution at the drugstore to moisturize your sinuses. I keep one at the office because I used to get nose bleeds there.

Hope the nose bleeds resolve soon .

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I think I do have a humidifier, but stopped using it years ago, since it left a white powdery residue all over my bedroom over time. This saline solution, is it the contact lens solution, and what do you do, put it in your nose with a Q-tip? Thank you.

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 8.57; m-t-d: 41.81.

Mon - 3/20/17. rest day. m-t-d workouts: 17/20. It was a waste taking a rest day today, since I woke up at the same time before 4:00 am, and didn't go back to sleep, just laying in bed for another 2 hours. I think anyway I needed the rest. I plan on sort of fasting today, I say sort of, since I just ate my normal serving of 2 ounces of peanuts that I have each morning. I ate the peanuts, since I have to work all day, and don't want to be starving all day. That is my normal routine of late, I just eat peanuts in the morning, and no food until I return home at night (usually about 7:30).

Sun calories: 3696
    Carbs: 521 56%
    protein: 111 12%
    fat: 142 35%
    Total: 103%
    sodium: 2718

For 390 days, until 1/1/18, for food, only buying vegetables / fruit / nuts / protein. No processed food (except apple sauce), or grains (except oatmeal).

Day 103 / 390

Food purchases made so far, not in above categories:

pasta, pasta sauce, wheat thins, peanut m&m's, potato pancake mix, chocolate bars, progresso soup, toblerone bars, popcorn, pretzels, Werthers Original hard candy (for my throat - when I was sick).

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct.

Food isn't safe around me, and I am not safe around food.

Kaizen - progress photo's

My journal:
    Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

#6782 Shamie, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Tues - 3/21/17. arm's, abs, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 18/21. Like usual after taking a rest day, I woke thinking I needed to take another rest day today, and ended up staying in bed until 4:30. Luckily, I came to my senses, and was out door by 4:55. I can't say I had the best workout today, but it was more productive then laying in bed for another 2 hours. Speaking of productive, I was thinking today as I was sitting in the sauna, that it would be more productive to spend the 30 minutes spent there each day running, but I don't see that happening in the near future.

My plan of fasting yesterday didn't come to fruition. Kudo's to Jaer for being able to fast. It sounded so simple, the only food I had in the morning was 2 ounces of peanuts. I returned home about 7:30 pm. So all I really had to do was fast for another 2 hours, since when you wake up at 4:00 am, you are falling asleep at 9:30 pm. Like I said, it sounded easy, but it was not. I got home, and like usual I was was starving, and the fasting went out the window. :( I might try again later in the week.

Mon calories: 3,090
    Carbs: 403 52%
    protein: 124 16%
    fat: 119 35%
    sodium: 2,989

For 390 days, until 1/1/18, for food, only buying vegetables / fruit / nuts / protein. No processed food (except apple sauce), or grains (except oatmeal).

Day 104 / 390

pasta, pasta sauce, wheat thins, peanut m&m's, potato pancake mix, chocolate bars, progresso soup, toblerone bars, popcorn, pretzels, Werthers Original hard candy (for my throat - when I was sick).

#6783 Shamie, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  4. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

The saline solution is sold in the cold and flu aisle. I buy the store brand which at CVS is called Nasal Saline Spray. It is in one of those bottles you squirt up your nose. I normally do 3 - 4 squirts each side once or twice a day in the winter.

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you. I am going to pick some up at the drugstore, and give it a try.

Weds - 3/22/17. shoulders, triceps, abs, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 19/22. Repeat of yesterday, woke up thinking I needed a rest day, but what put me over the decision to go, was I would lose my sauna time if I didn't go. I like the affect of it making me feel more relaxed the rest of the day. I was listening to the Katie Couric podcast, she interviewed Tony Robbins. He, like Adam Carolla, goes in cold water (I think he said 57 degrees) each day. After the sauna, I take a cold shower. According to the internet, the temperature out of the tap in the northern states is 45 degrees (F), and the southern states 50 degrees (F). I don't put it on the coldest, so I am thinking it is about 50-55 degrees. The contrast from the heat of the sauna to the cold water, feels great, and it really wakes you up. Anyone looking to start a family should keep out of the sauna, it lowers sperm count (temporarily). I read different things on it's effect on testosterone levels. Some sites say no effect, some say it lowers it. That is the one potentially negative thing that bothers me about using the sauna so frequently.

Tues calories: 3111
    Carbs: 395 51%
    protein: 103 13%
    fat: 134 39%
    sodium: 1016

Day 105 / 390

#6785 Shamie, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 6.31. w-t-d: 14.88; m-t-d: 48.12.

Thurs - 3/23/17. 65 treadmill, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 20/23. Today I was not delusional, and knew I was working out. But I woke up so tired, and even as I was walking to the treadmill at the gym, I was thinking, how am I ever going to run today? But as soon as I got on, I felt like a new person, and had a pretty good run. I am thinking today I am going to take another run at fasting (apart from the bagel I had after running, and the 2 ounces of peanuts I just ate) - 640 calorie today. It is not so much that I am doing it to lose weight, it bothers me that I am such a weak person, I can't fast for an additional 2 hours after I get home, until I get to sleep. I am even willing to wake up at 12:01 am, and eat my allotment of cashews that I would be having the next day (technically not cheating). Someone starving in South Sudan now, wouldn't believe their luck just to be able to eat a bagel and 2 ounces of peanuts in a whole day. So it should be enough for me also.

Weds calories: 3421
    Carbs: 447 52%
    protein: 124 15%
    fat: 133 35%
    Total: 102%
    sodium: 2916

Day 106 / 390

#6786 Shamie, Mar 23, 2017
  7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 14.88; m-t-d: 48.12.

Friday - 3/24/17. legs; abs, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 21/24. Incredibly, I was able to do what I planned, fast when I get home, and the only thing I ate yesterday was a bagel, and 2 ounces of peanuts (both in the morning), and a little milk in my coffee during the day. I didn't even wake up at 12:01 to eat the cashews (I thought that was going to happen). It actually wasn't that hard. What made it easier, is that I didn't go directly home after work, and by the time I got home, all I wanted to do was go to sleep. I thought I would wake up starving this morning, but felt no different than usual (though I did eat the cashews).:) Working out was a little challenging this morning, since I felt slightly weak. The calories below are what I had planned to eat on Thursday. I didn't want to change the page of my food journal after I had already written it. That is what I will be eating today, and tomorrow will actually be what I ate above. Tomorrow I hope to train back, abs, and run.

Thurs calories: 3208 (really Friday)
    Carbs: 436 54%
    protein: 150 19%
    fat: 102 29%
    Total: 102%
    sodium: 3001

Day 107 / 390

#6787 Shamie, Mar 24, 2017
  8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 3.01. w-t-d: 3.01; m-t-d: 51.13.

Sat - 3/25/17. back; abs, 30 minutes treadmill, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 22/25. No more lottery tickets for me. I was in a Marshalls store this morning, they had a raffle for a $20.00 gift card. There were 5 people who participated, and I couldn't even win. If I can't win when there is a 20% chance, then what are my chances in the lottery? (I almost never buy lottery tickets, except as part of a group in my office, when the prize gets to be 300 million+). I went there for the Duncan Donuts coffee (email said refreshments). It is on the way to the gym and I wanted coffee before working out, and didn't feel like making coffee at home (French press). They also had those Drakes mini pies. I haven't had them in probably 20 years. I think they are pretty unhealthy, but this was my opportunity to eat one, since I would never buy them. I took two, a cherry and an apple. I think the package said 190 calories each. I scarfed both of them down in less then 30 seconds (no exaggeration), they were delicious. When I was a kid, Hostess used to make them, 1 pie was like 3x the size of these pies. They were my after workout food today.

Fri calories: (really Thurs) - not at home, don't know the macro's.
    Carbs: %
    protein: %
    fat: %
    Total: %
    sodium:

Day 108 / 390

#6788 Shamie, Mar 25, 2017
  9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 3.42. w-t-d: 6.43; m-t-d: 54.55.

Sun - 3/25/17. chest; abs, 35 minutes treadmill, 40 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 23/26. Good lifting day, and felt good running also. I ran slow for 3 minutes, then fast for 2 minutes etc, the whole time. I tried something new today, I took the usual 30 minutes in the sauna, took a cold shower, then went back in the sauna for another 10 minutes, then took another cold shower. That is what they do in Finland. Unless there is a lake near the sauna, then they jump into the cold water of the lake, and go back into the sauna. Even weight was good today. I expected a loss of some of the 4 pounds I gained last week, but didn't think I would lose it all. I lost the 4 pounds plus a little extra. I am now 192, which ties for my low for the year on 2/19/17. If I waited before writing down the weight, the second time I got on the scale I weighed 191.80. But since I wrote it down, there is no going back. I would have weighed myself 3 times, and took the weight of the 2 that matched. My revised goal is to be in the 180's by my birthday, which is mid April.

Sat calories: 3678
    Carbs: 494 54%
    protein: 150 16%
    fat: 125 31%
    Total: 101%
    sodium: 4986

Day 109 / 390

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 6.43; m-t-d: 54.55.

Mon - 3/27/17. arm training, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 24/27. Tomorrow I hope to run for 65 minutes.

Sun calories: 3795
    Carbs: 600 64%
    protein: 121 13%
    fat: 94 23%
    Total: 100%
    sodium: 6577 (1/2 package of sauerkraut 2100 mg sodium, Progress soup 1,380 mg sodium, 3 bagels 1300 mg sodium).:(

Day 110 / 390

11. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Are you thinking of starting a family??? :spaz:

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 6.27. w-t-d: 12.70; m-t-d: 60.82.

Tues - 3/28/17. 65 treadmill, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 25/28. Good run today. I have my first race of the season on Saturday. A 4 mile run in Central Park, to fund Cystic Fibrosis. The headliner for the race is Boomer Esiason. He has a foundation to raise money for Cystic Fibrosis (which his son has). Four miles is a good distance to start the Spring running season. I have 2 additional races in April. Tomorrow I hope to train shoulders; triceps, abs.

Mon calories: 2928
    Carbs: 390 53%
    protein: 123 17%
    fat: 114 35%
    Total: 105%
    sodium: 6146 (1/2 package of sauerkraut 2100 mg sodium, Progress soup 1,380 mg sodium).:(

Day 111 / 390

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I ran that race in 2012 and have the t-shirt to prove it. :D Is it still called Run To Breathe?

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yes, the official name of the race is "Boomers Cystic Fibrosis Run to Breathe". New York Road Runners Club moved their headquarters from 89th Street near Fifth Avenue. Now their headquarters is in an office building. But they opened a store front on 57th street (part of a New Balance store), where you can pick up the bib and t-shirt for races ahead of time during the week. It is much more convenient for me now. One interesting tidbit, they bought the townhouse where the headquarters was located in 1981 for 1,000,000. The sold it for 24,000,000. It was a great location, right off of Central Park, but I was in that townhouse, not too impressive. Someone buying that, would have to do a ton of renovations, on top of the 24 million paid.

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 12.70; m-t-d: 60.82.

Weds - 3/29/17. shoulders; abs; triceps, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 26/29. I am debating if I should make Thursday a fasting day each week. I might try again tomorrow (apart from Larabar after working out, and peanuts once I get to my office). Tomorrow I plan to run for 65 minutes

Tues calories: 3591
    Carbs: 464 52%
    protein: 124 14%
    fat: 148 37%
    sodium: 3116

Day 112 / 390

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I didn't know the headquarters moved and in case you were wondering, I was NOT the buyer of the former HQ. :lol:

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

:)

Running / walking today: 6.31. w-t-d: 19.01; m-t-d: 67.13.

Thurs - 3/30/17. 65 treadmill, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 27/30. I am going to try to fast today. I did eat about 500 calories more than what is shown below last night in preparation (which I will include in today total). Plan is the same as last week, don't go straight home after work, and then when I do get home, I will be tired, and go to sleep. Tomorrow I hope to train legs.

Weds calories: 3306
    Carbs: 423 51%
    protein: 122 15%
    fat: 137 37%
    sodium: 2870

Day 113 / 390

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 19.01; m-t-d: 67.13.

Friday - 3/31/17. Leg; ab training, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 28/31. Food below was actually 570 calories yesterday. I had some carryover from the day before (460 cal), and some adjustments from prior days. Again, fasting wasn't as hard as I thought. Nothing from approximately 9:00 am yesterday, until about 7:30 this morning. Key was stopping off at Starbucks after work, and having a coffee. Beforehand, I felt so hungry, I felt like chewing my arm off.:eat: I hope the results show up on the scale. I want to see 191 or less. Tomorrow is my 4 mile race, unless I don't go due to rain. But I am fairly sure I am going regardless. TGIF. April is going to be a good month. There are 20 working days, less I get off 4 days for Passover, and 1 day for Good Friday. I am taking 3 days vacation, so only 12 days of work the whole month. :claphigh:

Thurs calories: 1881
    Carbs: 223 47%
    protein: 47 10%
    fat: 100 48%
    Total: 105%
    sodium: 112

Day 114 / 390

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Are you going on a short getaway when using your vacation days?

TGIF indeed!

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Cincinnati, Ohio (the vacation capital of the world).:lol: I am going there for a college graduation.

Running / walking today: 3.53. w-t-d: 3.53; m-t-d: 3.53.

Sat - 4/01/17. back; ab training, 35 treadmill. 30+10 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 1/1. Surprisingly, I didn't go to the race today (I thought I was going to go). I have no excuse, I woke up early, I just didn't want to go. It was wet from yesterday's rain, and it was in the high 30's. What can I say, I am a fair weathered runner. Yesterday, to save time before the race, after work I walked to the NYRRC running center at 57th Street (in the pouring rain & very windy) to pick up my bib & t-shirt. That turned out to be a waste of time, since I wouldn't wear a shirt from a race I didn't run in. At least when donate it, someone will get some use out of it. I did have a good workout at the gym today. I was going to skip running, but if I am not 191 or less tomorrow, I didn't want to have that to blame it on. At least now, I did everything I planned, and if I don't reach that weight, I can adjust plan going forward.

Friday calories: 3581
    Carbs: 429 49%
    protein: 137 15%
    fat: 154 39%
    sodium: 3344

Day 115 / 390

#6799 Shamie, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

A graduation is a fine reason to go.

Glad the workout went well and that you got some miles done.