1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Just noticed your signature Food isnt ...... Made me laugh in sad sympathy since I am the same

2. Shamie

Shamie Well-Known Member

:nod:

Running / walking today: 6.42. w-t-d: 13.29; m-t-d: 19.70.

Tues - 3/7/17. 65 treadmill, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 7/7. I woke up tired, and was thinking how nice it would be to stay in bed another 2 hours. But eventually decided to workout, mainly because I packed my gym bag with my work clothes in the car last night, and didn't want to give up my 30 minute daily dose of sauna. Yesterday, I listened to an episode of the Joe Rogan podcast #672, the guest was Dr. Rhonda Patrick. She had a lot of positive things to say about sauna's, that it increases human growth hormone, increases hypertrophy and a bunch of other good things. One study she mentioned, they tracked 500 men in Finland for 20 years, and the ones who took sauna's 6 or 7 days a week, had a 50% lower death rate than those who took sauna's 2 or less days a week or none at all.

Mon calories: 3250
    Carbs: 375 46%
    protein: 116 14%
    fat: 150 42%
    Total: 102%
    sodium: 3172

For 390 days, until 1/1/18, for food, only buying vegetables / fruit / nuts / protein. No processed food (except apple sauce), or grains (except oatmeal).

Day 90 / 390 (300 days more).

Food purchases made so far, not in above categories:

pasta, pasta sauce, wheat thins, peanut m&m's, potato pancake mix, chocolate bars, progresso soup, toblerone bars, popcorn, pretzels, Werthers Original hard candy (for my throat - when I was sick).

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct.

Food isn't safe around me, and I am not safe around food.

3. Shamie

Shamie Well-Known Member

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 13.29; m-t-d: 19.70.

Weds - 3/8/17. shoulders; triceps, abs, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 8/8. Tomorrow I hope to run. I am blank today, nothing to write. :blank:

Tues calories: 3197
    Carbs: 395 48%
    protein: 112 14%
    fat: 137 39%
    Total: 101%
    sodium: 3174

I was thinking the part below has no value, since when I reach 390 days, all of a sudden am I going to start buying processed food? But nevertheless, since I just have to update the day # daily, I think I will continue for now (but it serves no purpose).

For 390 days, until 1/1/18, for food, only buying vegetables / fruit / nuts / protein. No processed food (except apple sauce), or grains (except oatmeal).

Day 91 / 390

pasta, pasta sauce, wheat thins, peanut m&m's, potato pancake mix, chocolate bars, progresso soup, toblerone bars, popcorn, pretzels, Werthers Original hard candy (for my throat - when I was sick).

4. Shamie

Shamie Well-Known Member

Running / walking today: 6.39. w-t-d: 19.68; m-t-d: 26.09.

Thurs - 3/9/17. 65 treadmill, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 9/9. Tomorrow is leg day. I have unintentionally almost become a vegetarian. I say unintentionally, since I didn't plan it, it just happened. The only animal protein I have eaten since January has been the chicken in Progresso chicken & noodle soup (roughly 45 cans so far this year), and I have had chicken in restaurants the few times I have eaten out this year so far. Also I have been eating cheese and milk (in coffee). Progresso soup is the best calorie value there is (imho), that whole can of chicken noodle soup is only 220 calories (14 grams of protein, 5 grams of fat, 28 grams of carbs), but has 1380 mg of sodium. I have been trying to increase sodium since I have been using the sauna so frequently, so the sodium in the soup is not an issue. I am going to start having fish again soon.

Weds calories: 3307
    Carbs: 381 46%
    protein: 100 12%
    fat: 172 47%
    Total: 105%
    sodium: 2317

Day 92 / 390

#6764 Shamie, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  5. Shamie

Shamie Well-Known Member

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 19.68; m-t-d: 26.09.

Friday - 3/10/17. leg, ab training, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 10/10. Good leg training day. Tomorrow I hope to train, back, abs & run. I am hoping for a good weigh in number on Sunday. I don't think I will make the 180's, but I am hoping for 190 or at least 191. Last night I was speaking to a cousin, who has had a weight problem for a number of years. She asks me how my weight is, I tell her it is about the same. I tell her, the most important thing I do is track my calories in a notebook. It is an easy thing to do, and takes less than 10 minutes daily. I said it is easy to forget how much you are eating, if you don't see it in print. She seems annoyed at my comment, and tells me she is not going to be compulsive about weight loss. I didn't suggest she do it, I just said this is what has worked for me. What I find funny, is that any time I talk to her, she mentions how she is watching what she is eating, either how she gained weight or losing weight. I was thinking, keep doing what you are doing, it has worked very well for you so far. :confused:

Thurs calories: 3188
    Carbs: 379 48%
    protein: 92 12%
    fat: 154 43%
    Total: 103%
    sodium: 937

Day 93 / 390

6. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Catching up on your journal, so conversation throwback to the article about kids and surgery. It reminded my of some TV program I say, one of those morning talk shows. They were talking about obsesity and how tough it is, and one woman said she always feels for the kids when she sees over-weight parents and their kids are obese, too, and "You know it's just the genetics. You can see it."

This was a few years ago that I saw this program, and it always stuck with me. Is it geneitcs? Or are the kids on the same poor diet/exercise program as the parents? I know how hard weight loss is--we all do--but to always default to genetics or to say "a kid's only hope is surgery" is just passing the buck. Yeah, I might be fighting against my genetics, but my being over-weight is on me. That kid with overweight parents, it's not the kid's fault, true, but that doesn't mean it is a genetic issue. As we all know, there must be accountability.

Anyone remember the mom who got slammed on the internet cause she was "fat shaming" with the pic she posted?

[​IMG]

Now, I have been told that, being the nice guy I am, I tend to miss passive-aggressive digs and put-downs. I don't see this as fat shaming. I see this as a valid pointing to we are, for the most part, the weight/size we are because of personal choice. I could devote more time to meal planning and prep. I could spend less time being social and hanging with friends. I could spend more time at the gym/being active. I could force myself to eat the same meal over and over and over cause I know the exact calories.

My excuse is I don't prioritize being super fit over a social life. I find it empowering to acknowledge that my choices are what keep me where I am OR let me change. It is not an outside force inflicting it's malicious will upon me. It's on me. I think a lot of the issue comes from the word excuse, but I can't think of a better one that works in a single, succinct sentence--its a problem with the English language, not the idea.

Obviously there are people in certain socio-economic situations that can't go to the gym more or work less or make those changes. Some people are stuck. But for so many people, it is all about personal choice, and they don't see it. They want to pass the buck to something else: genetics, work, kids, what-have-you.

Jaer
    knows that the mother in the picture above doesn't look like that anymore, and it became a huge deal, like everyone was throwing it back at her. He thought it was great that she had changed so long as she could say, "What's my excuse? I no longer prioritize being lean over relaxing with my family and friends or over eating food I enjoy."

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Shamie, I hope your cousin eventually sees the light and recognizes that she has to change her behavior if she wants to see changes.

Jaer, a lack of personal responsibility seems to be a prevalent mind set that is only getting worse. I do believe that genetics play a part in determining whether or not one is "skinny" or "stocky" because they dictate a person's body type (ie: endomorphic or otherwise), but that is far different than making the intellectual leap that genetics are the reason someone is obese. No matter how much he tries, the guy playing wide receiver is not going to become an offensive lineman. Sure, there are people with medical conditions and I feel for them just as I feel for the people who truly can't afford healthy food, but without hard data to back up my assertion, I believe for the vast majority of people the ability to take steps that lead to a healthier lifestyle is attainable. I'm not talking about Olympic athlete condition, just a move away from the obese side of the ledger and toward "I only am carrying a few extra pounds" camp.

I'm with you on seeking some balance. There's no doubt that you spend more time exercising and thinking about what you're eating than the average person, as do I, but there's a limit to how far I'm going to take it. I don't want to be a monk and I like my friends, but once again it comes down to choices under our control. If I go out nobody's making me order a blooming onion (or whatever it's called), a bacon cheeseburger, and a few beers and if I do that it's totally on me.

Shamie, sorry for the hijack.

8. macdiver

Bronze Member

While I totally agree that it is a personal responsibility, the fact that it is cheaper to eat a whopper with cheese medium size combo (1430 calories with regular coke) than to buy healthy food isn't doing our society any favors. When did a 32 ounce soda (1 quart or almost a liter) become a medium?

Pilot the plane is now yours again (ending my hijack)

#6768 macdiver, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  9. Shamie

Shamie Well-Known Member

To much to comment on. But I think people use the expensive cost of healthy food as an excuse for their true desire to buy junk food. While healthy food can costs more, it doesn't have to. 5 pounds of carrots are something like $3.00. Most leafy vegetables don't weigh too much, so they fairly inexpensive. Frozen vegetables are inexpensive. Potatoes, pasta, rice, tuna all are fairly cheap. I think the real problem is they make processed food tastes so good, it is hard to resist.

Running / walking today: 3.60. w-t-d: 3.60; m-t-d: 29.69.

Sat - 3/11/17. back, ab training, 35 treadmill, 31 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 11/11. It is funny how the mind plays such a big part of exercise. As I was lifting weights, and getting closer to running, I was dreading the idea of running. But not 15 seconds on the treadmill, and I felt, this feels good, and had a pretty good run, slightly faster than usual.

I read that less Americans are dieting, and the wrote the reason is, now there are so many fat people, people no longer feel abnormal being fat. It is like they feel, everyone is fat now. When I was growing up, I had a neighbor, the father weighed probably 300-325. It was so unusual at the time. It couldn't have been easy for him, people would stare at him (it was so unusual). Now, I don't even know if you would notice him as different than many others. On that tv show "The Honeymooners", with Jackie Gleason, half the jokes were about how fat he was. Nowadays, watching the show in reruns, he wasn't even that fat (compared to the size of people now).

Friday calories: 3148
    Carbs: 376 48%
    protein: 107 14%
    fat: 144 41%
    sodium: 937

Day 94 / 390

[/QUOTE]

10. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    There are large areas of this country where "healthy" food is barely available, no matter the cost. Inner cities are especially deficient in the shopping options, and in very rural areas, there might not be a full-service grocery store for fifty miles. But in both of those communities, there are definitely fast-food options, and convenience stores that carry chips and not carrots. It's hard to make the "right" choice if you don't have a real choice at all. Add in the fact that you have to prepare things like potatoes or tuna or rice, and most people would rather choose the simple and easy option.

Also, I believe that it's the processed food (and the taste aspect you mentioned, as well as the cost aspect MacDiver mentioned) that's the heart of the problem. The combination of sugar, refined carbs, salt and fat is hard to resist, especially once the body is exposed to it on a regular basis. There's not much meat on a value menu burger, but there's plenty of all the other stuff. I picked up a bag of breaded chicken patties the other day, and there were more carbs than protein per serving (and twice the fat)... how can that be?

11. Shamie

Shamie Well-Known Member

While what you say is true for a certain segment of the population, it is a relatively small group. According to the internet, 90% of Americans live within 15 miles of a Walmart. I think that most Walmarts now are Supercenter's that sell food. Let's be generous, and say 20% of the population doesn't have access to healthy food, what is the issue with the other 80%?

Running / walking today: 3.55. w-t-d: 7.15; m-t-d: 33.24.

Sun - 3/12/17. chest, ab training, 35 treadmill, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 12/12. Same as yesterday, after lifting didn't feel like running, and almost passed on it, but with the anticipated snow coming, I probably will miss one if not two days of the gym, so I forced myself to run. I didn't have a bad run, but feel very tired now. Need some strong coffee, and soon. Unfortunately, I didn't make 191 this week, but did lose slightly over 1/2 pound to get to 192.20. My revised goal is to be in the 180's by the end of the month.

Sat calories: 3314
    Carbs: 336 41%
    protein: 92 11%
    fat: 188 51%
    sodium: 2822

Day 95 / 390

#6771 Shamie, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  12. Shamie

Shamie Well-Known Member

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 7.15; m-t-d: 33.24.

Mon - 3/13/17. arm, ab training, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 13/13. Everything felt heavy today. :( Don't know why, started off with the same weights as the prior week, but had to lower them towards the end of the workout. Tomorrow if it doesn't start snowing until later than expected, maybe I can go workout, and then drive home, and walk to the bus station (unless I take off). Probably though, exercise will be shoveling snow only. There is a remote chance that I will drop by the gym tonight, and do the running I would have done tomorrow. First I thought, why bother packing additional workout clothes and a extra towel, since I probably won't go. But then I thought, that is pretty negative thinking. If I don't have the workout clothes, then I definitely won't be working out tonight. But like always, it sounds good now, when it comes to actually going after work, things will feel differently then. I never went to that gym after work during the week, so I am curious to see what kind of crowd it gets after work. The question is, will I use the sauna again tonight if I go? Me thinks so. :nod: I am addicted to the sauna.

Sun calories: 3419
    Carbs: 465 51%
    protein: 205 24%
    fat: 94 25%
    sodium: 3100

Day 96 / 390

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

If you do go to work tomorrow, depending upon how things play out your biggest issue may be getting back home. Any chance of working from home? I know your company isn't keen on that, but this isn't an ordinary situation if the forecasts are correct.

14. Shamie

Shamie Well-Known Member

Unless things look very different in the morning from what is expected, I am taking a personal day tomorrow. But if I do go (though not likely), I am definitely taking the train. I already got an email the gym is closed tomorrow.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I agree, if you do go in the train is the way to do it. Are you within walking distance to a station?

When I got to the gym this morning there was already a sign up saying the facility would be closed tomorrow.

16. Shamie

Shamie Well-Known Member

Yes, I can walk to the train station (which I did today). It is further than the bus station, but still within walking distance. Hell must have froze over, since my office actually was closed yesterday. :confused: Apart from 911 & Superstorm Sandy, that is a first.

Tues - 3/14/17. rest day. m-t-d workouts: 13/14. Snow day. Even though the snow wasn't as much as anticipated, it was very heavy snow to shovel.

Weds - 3/15/17. rest day. m-t-d workouts: 13/15. I could have worked out today, but the roads are very icy from yesterday. It was 20 degrees this morning, nothing melted. After it snowed, it rained, and if I was wearing ice skates, I could have skated to the train station. On my walk there, I saw a car having trouble getting up a small hill. If things don't look better tonight, tomorrow might be another rest day. Having my car get stuck and ruining the transmission rocking back and forth, or getting into an accident, is not worth it. But if the roads look better tonight, I will workout and probably train shoulders, triceps & abs.

Mon calories: 1042
    Carbs: 127 49%
    protein: 21 8%
    fat: 55 48%
    Total: 105%
    sodium: 350

Tues calories: 3183
    Carbs: 424 53%
    protein: 102 13%
    fat: 130 37%
    sodium: 1703

Day 98 / 390

17. Shamie

Shamie Well-Known Member

Thurs - 3/16/17. Shoulders; triceps; abs, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 14/16. No time to write anything today.

Weds calories: 3246
    Carbs: 436 54%
    protein: 103 13%
    fat: 132 37%
    Total: 104%
    sodium: 1641

Day 99 / 390

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

We must work for similar companies. My company never used to close for snow. They closed last January (2016) for the first time and this past Tuesday. For Sandy, the office was only closed for the 2 days the office did not have power.

19. Shamie

Shamie Well-Known Member

:nod: I was thinking after this false snow storm alarm, that they probably won't close the office again. But after Super storm Sandy, when much of the area transit was damaged, they stop running buses, trains, subways now during major storms, which makes it impossible to get to NYC, unless you live in Manhattan (or are willing to drive). That is a new thing, they never used to do that before, except during hurricanes.

Friday - 3/17/17. Leg training, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 15/17. Good leg training day today. Tomorrow I hope to train back, abs & run. This guy they hired in my office who is a serious runner, didn't get picked in the lottery for the NYC marathon. But he said he is running anyway, for a charity. He said to me yesterday that he ran Weds & Thurs in the morning before work (in the dark), and didn't fall (icy conditions outside). I was pretty impressed, since I can't even get myself to run outside when it is 70 with the sun shining. Not expecting much this week for the weigh in, since I don't feel like I lost weight this week. Hopefully will be surprised, and not in a bad way, such as gaining weight. Trying to psych myself up into running for 65 minutes after lifting tomorrow & Sunday, to make up for my lack of running this week (due to 2 rest days - snow).

Thurs calories: 3215
    Carbs: 442 55%
    protein: 109 14%
    fat: 121 34%
    sodium: 2721

Day 100 / 390

20. Shamie

Shamie Well-Known Member

Sat: Running / walking: 4.26. w-t-d: 4.26; m-t-d: 37.50.

Sun: Running / walking: 4.31. w-t-d: 8.57; m-t-d: 41.81.

Sat - 3/18/17. back; abs, 45 treadmill, 35 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 16/18. My second exercise yesterday was the T-bar row. After 1 or 2 sets, I notice blood on the bar. My nose started to bleed. Then I put my head up, took deep breathes out of the other nostril, and it stopped. I continued to do the exercises I planned with no further issue. I planned to run for 65 minutes, but right at 35 minutes, my nose started to bleed when I was running, but I continued for another 10 minutes.

Sun - 3/19/17. chest; abs, 45 treadmill, 30 minutes sauna. m-t-d workouts: 17/19. Today was chest training, so I had no exercises when I was facing down (don't presently do push ups), so no issue with nose bleeds. But soon after I started running, my nose started to bleed again. I wanted to reach 45 like yesterday, so I continued, with it bleeding on and off the whole run. I don't think it is related to high blood pressure, but I did eat Progresso soup the last 3 days (1380 mg of sodium in a can). Just in case though, no more Progresso soup in the foreseeable future. That sodium content showed up on the scale today, I gained almost 4 pounds from last week. :eek: I can tell it was the hydration issue, since the body fat % on the Tanita type scale went from 17% last week, to 13% today (usually change is minimal from week to week). But I am not blaming the salt for 100% of the weight gain, I am going to take a page out of Jaer's playbook. and fast for a day this week, hopefully tomorrow. Tomorrow I hope to train arms.

Friday calories: 3235
    Carbs: 413 51%
    protein: 116 15%
    fat: 121 34%
    Total: 100%
    sodium: 2621

Sat calories: 3515
    Carbs: 478 54%
    protein: 118 14%
    fat: 134 34%
    Total: 102%
    sodium: 3031

Day 102 / 390

#6780 Shamie, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017