1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Like you, the past few days I've been overdressing and to a certain degree did so once again this morning.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Like you, the past few days I've been overdressing and to a certain degree did so once again this morning.

I guess it seems strange not to wear a coat this time of year.

Running / walking today: 6.40. w-t-d: 6.40; m-t-d: 43.93.

Sat - 2/25/17. 65 treadmill, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 15/25. I didn't feel as though I was really pushing myself today, but I was drenched when I was done. Not sure why. I have an injury, so I don't know if I will be lifting tomorrow. If not, I will either run again, use the elliptical or both. I am hoping when I weigh myself tomorrow, I lost 1 pound or more from last week. The thought of losing a pound+ is keeping me more disciplined than I normally am with food. I want to make sure I am back in the 180's the following weekend, and that is not happening if I loosen up now.

Fri calories: 2914
    Carbs: 360 49%
    protein: 109 15%
    fat: 123 38%
    Total: 102%
    sodium: 3410

For 390 days, until 1/1/18, for food, only buying vegetables / fruit / nuts / protein. No processed food (except apple sauce), or grains (except oatmeal).

Day 80 / 390

Food purchases made so far, not in above categories:

pasta, pasta sauce, wheat thins, peanut m&m's, potato pancake mix, chocolate bars, progresso soup, toblerone bars, popcorn, pretzels, Werthers Original hard candy (for my throat - when I was sick).

"Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct"

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 6.40; m-t-d: 43.93.

Sun - 2/26/17. back; abs, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 16/26. I was disappointed with the scale today, not only did I not lose weight, I gained back the 1.20 pounds I lost the prior week. Maybe the weight was less than normal the prior week, since I was sick the week before. Regardless, it put me into one of those "what's the use moods", and therefore skipped cardio today. Regardless of what the scale shows, I am pretty sure I am definitely losing weight, since I forgot to bring a belt in my gym bag, and my pants were sliding down with no belt.

A few months ago, I mentioned the house across the street which was vacant for 6-7 years, was finally sold. The house was in litigation for all of those years, and fell apart in the mean time. It was knocked down, and a new house was just completed, and today was the open house. I went there, because I wanted to see if you could see into my kitchen from their second story. It is fairly far away, and definitely there is no way they can see into my house (I can still safely walk around my house naked). :) They did an excellent job, the upstairs is really nice, has 4 bedrooms, the master suite is large, has a large walk in closet, the master bathroom has a double sink vanity, nice tile, and fixtures. I didn't really like the downstairs as much, it had a white kitchen (not my taste), and I didn't like the layout. The open house was very crowded. Like in the old days, NYC prices have become so expensive, NYC people are starting to realize you can buy a new 4 bedroom house (649K for this house) for less than the cost of buying many studio apartments in Manhattan. Many of the license plates on the cars at the open house are NY.

Sat calories: 2884
    Carbs: 380 53%
    protein: 111 15%
    fat: 108 34%
    sodium: 3500

For 390 days, until 1/1/18, for food, only buying vegetables / fruit / nuts / protein. No processed food (except apple sauce), or grains (except oatmeal).

Day 81 / 390

pasta, pasta sauce, wheat thins, peanut m&m's, potato pancake mix, chocolate bars, progresso soup, toblerone bars, popcorn, pretzels, Werthers Original hard candy (for my throat - when I was sick).

"You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water." - Rabindranath T

#6743 Shamie, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 0.00; m-t-d: 43.93.

Mon - 2/27/17. arms; abs, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 17/27. Fairly good arm training session today. Tomorrow I hope to run to get mileage to 50 miles for the month. February was a disaster from a running point of view.

Sun calories: 3060
    Carbs: 407 53%
    protein: 101 13%
    fat: 124 36%
    sodium: 3076

Day 82 / 390

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 6.37. w-t-d: 12.77; m-t-d: 50.30.

Tues - 2/28/17. 65 treadmill, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 18/28. Of all the times I have bought running shoes, there is only one pair I could not get used to. I put them in my closet, and after getting sick of looking at them for so long, I have begun wearing them to work. I keep a pair of shoes in my office, and switch when I get there. Walking in NYC is tough on shoes, these shoes will look new for a long time if I only wear them in my office. But I feel like such a loser wearing these running shoes to work. Years ago, when Seinfeld was on the air, they had an episode where Kramer went to the dentist and was talking strangely due to the effects of the novocaine, and was wearing strange looking sneakers, and people thought he was mentally challenged. That is exactly how I feel people think of me when I am wearing these running shoes commuting to work. Today, I saw the bus coming, and I was a distance away, I ran to the bus, and oddly enough, the running shoes felt good when I was running, so maybe I gave up on them too soon and can run in them. There was another guy behind me, running to catch the bus also (to no avail, bus was filled, and didn't even stop). That guy said to me, who was much younger than me and not overweight, that he felt like he was going to have a heart attack. That comment made me feel good (not that he said he felt like he was going to have a heart attack), but I just ran over 6 miles at the gym, and felt fine running to catch the bus. So in other words, this exercise thing is not a total waste of time.

Mon calories: 2866
    Carbs: 379 53%
    protein: 103 14%
    fat: 107 34%
    Total: 101%
    sodium: 3170

Day 83 / 390

#6745 Shamie, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  6. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Great Story. Bummer that you still couldn't catch that bus.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

No it isn't, but sometimes we all need a reminder of that.

Congrats on reaching your goal of 50 miles.

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Similar story today, and I caught the bus (which had seats). :)

That is true, it is easy to take good health for granted, and exercising is part of how good health is achieved. Thanks about the 50 miles, I hope to better that in March (3 extra days).

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 12.77; m-t-d: 00.00.

Weds - 3/1/17. shoulders; triceps; abs, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 1/1. Good workout today. I pretty much gave up on getting a spot in the park & ride, which doesn't bother me as long as the weather isn't bad. This is why I can spend 30 minutes in the sauna each day. It is a good way to start off the day - very calming, apart from the health benefits of extra calorie burn, detox. Many people bring in their phone, and I was tempted to bring in my I-pod or phone, but I read on the internet that the sauna is not good for either device (it would help make the time go much faster). The first 10 minutes goes fast, the 2nd 10 minutes goes by so-so, the 3rd 10 minutes drags. I recently started to bring in a water bottle with me, and end up drinking the whole thing while I am in there. No water the first 15 minutes, 1/3 at 15 minutes, 1/3 at 20 minutes, and 1/3 at 25 minutes. I had done that at the start, but the water got hot fast (temp in sauna 185 degrees). But I found if you wrap the water bottle in a small towel, it keeps the water cool (who knew?). Tomorrow I hope to run again.

Tues calories: 2956
    Carbs: 381 52%
    protein: 102 14%
    fat: 119 36%
    sodium: 3080

Day 84 / 390

#6748 Shamie, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  9. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Think the common wisdom now is fit > thin.

Jaer
    is glad cause his fitness is greater than his thinness.

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I believe that to a point. I am sure you are fit, judging by the amount you can squat.

Running / walking today: 6.41. w-t-d: 19.18; m-t-d: 6.41.

Thurs - 3/2/17. 65 treadmill, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 2/2. Felt good running today. Tomorrow I hope to train legs. When I logged into this thread yesterday, I noticed I started it exactly 11 years ago yesterday. A first grader when I started would be in the 11th grade in that time frame. Reading the first entry, I wrote at the time I was 211. Now I am approximately 20 pounds less, not bad for 11 years later. I have no doubt, if I didn't embrace the fitness lifestyle, back when I initially started in 1/1/2005 at 250 pounds, I would easily top the scale at 280, maybe 300+ (if I was still alive). I probably would have had diabetes, and had a heart attack by now. So in other words, keeping this journal helped keep me on track, and the 11 years was not wasted.

Weds calories: 3187
    Carbs: 368 46%
    protein: 114 14%
    fat: 149 42%
    sodium: 3150

Day 85 / 390

#6750 Shamie, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  11. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Happy anniversary. Glad you are here and proud to say I've met you in person!

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Ditto!

13. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Happy Anniversary.

More importantly,. CONGRATULATIONS on keeping the weight off.

How long did you drop from 250 to 211 before you joined JSF? Even if it was a few months, it means you have lost 60 pounds and kept it off for at least 11 years. :bow:

14. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :nod: :bow:

15. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is a huge accomplishment!

Jaer
    is impressed with your continued improvement.

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Mac, I slowly began in Sept of 2004, and made small changes and went from 252 to 246 at 12/31/04. At 1/1/05 I got serious, and lost 40 pounds in 2005. It even seems hard for me to believe I lost 40 pounds in a year.

I hope it gives inspiration to people that weight can be lost, and kept off. The press is so negative when weight loss is concerned. They always give statistics that 95% of the people gain the weight back. I recently read an article in the NY Times (link below) that they want to start doing bariatric surgery on kids as young as 14, since according to the article, "we are at a point where in this field where surgery is the only thing that works for these kids". How absurd is that.:crazy:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/24/health/obese-teenagers-bariatric-surgery.html?_r=0

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 19.18; m-t-d: 6.41.

Friday - 3/3/17. legs; abs, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 3/3. Good leg day today. Tomorrow I hope to train back, abs. I read that Bob Harper, the "Celebrity trainer" on the Biggest Loser", who is 51, had a heart attack 2 weeks ago while working out in NYC. He was lucky a doctor was also working out at the same time, and was able to use a defibrillator on him to keep him alive until the ambulance got there. He was unconscious for 2 days, and was in the hospital for 8. Not the best advertisement for The Biggest Loser. :o It is also bad for the general public, since anyone reading the story might think, maybe exercise is not so healthy after all, and it is better to be sedentary (and eat a pizza) since what is the use if even this fit trainer can have a heart attack?

Thurs calories: 3287
    Carbs: 410 50%
    protein: 104 13%
    fat: 144 39%
    sodium: 3238

Day 86 / 390

#6756 Shamie, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Shamie, I read the same article and came away with the same conclusion as you.

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Crazy yes. I am not saying that bariatric surrgery doesn't have a place, but 14 is too young. They should be given an opportunity to change their young ways first.

Running / walking today: 3.41. w-t-d: 3.41; m-t-d: 9.82.

Sat - 3/4/17. back; abs, 35 treadmill, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 4/4. I almost made a mistake at the supermarket. I was at Fresh Market, they sell a group of ingredients to make a dinner at a fixed price of $20.00, the meal changes each week. Sort of like a Blue Apron meal. This week the meal they had was a stir fry. You get 5 ingredients, 1 & 1/2 pounds of chicken breast cut up in chunks or beef or shrimp, a package of cut up vegetables, the sauce for the stir fry, soba noodles, and either a package of pot sticker dumplings, or spring rolls. It sounds good, even I could handle making that. The only issue was the spring rolls or dumplings :eat: I can't look at it like a normal person, since I would eat the whole package of dumplings or spring rolls in one sitting (probably in less than 5 minutes), which was roughly a pound. I really wanted to get it, but not buying it was a good decision. Food isn't safe around me, and I am not safe around food. :nod: Tomorrow I hope to train chest, abs and run again. I don't expect much change in my weight this week. Hopefully I will be surprised.

Fri calories: 3257
    Carbs: 382 47%
    protein: 116 14%
    fat: 150 41%
    sodium: 3568

Day 87 / 390

#6758 Shamie, Mar 4, 2017
  19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 3.46. w-t-d: 6.87; m-t-d: 13.28.

Sun - 3/5/17. chest; abs, 35 treadmill, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 5/5. Another weak chest training day. I am in awe of people when I look at them flat bench pressing 225 pounds, making it look so easy. :confused: Chest training is my least favorite, which is probably why it is my weakest body part, that or arms, pretty much a tie. My weight was not as bad as expected, I lost slightly less than 1/2 pound. At least it is going in the right direction this week.

Sat calories: 3133
    Carbs: 382 49%
    protein: 106 14%
    fat: 141 41%
    Total: 104%
    sodium: 2824

Day 88 / 390

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct

Food isn't safe around me, and I am not safe around food

#6759 Shamie, Mar 5, 2017
  20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 0.00. w-t-d: 6.87; m-t-d: 13.28.

Mon - 3/6/17. arm training, 30 sauna. m-t-d workouts: 6/6. The warm weather fooled the flowers into thinking it was Spring, only to have 2 freezing days yesterday and today. The crocuses and daffodils starting to bloom, only to freeze. Hopefully the tulips will have better luck. I gave up on the idea of a planned rest day, since I like to be on autopilot, and not think about not going to workout. When I take a rest day, the next day, and the next, I wake up thinking maybe I should take another rest day. Better not having to think about it. Tomorrow I hope to run.

Sun calories: 2250
    Carbs: 272 48%
    protein: 72 13%
    fat: 105 42%
    Total: 103%
    sodium: 2434

Day 89 / 390

Believe you can, believe you can't, either way you are correct.

Food isn't safe around me, and I am not safe around food.