1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 6/30. Thursday: calories 3,360. workout: 30 minutes arctrainer; 30 minutes running. mtd workouts: 5/6. Had another great workout this morning. 30 minutes on stairmaster - I used to hate the stairmaster - since I found it so challenging, now that I have been using it atleast once weekly, I am starting to like it. I am drenched when I get off it. Running today was excellent too (it's the coffee). I ate more than planned yesterday. I decided I did well last month eating 3,000 per day, I lost 11 pounds at that food intake. So, I am going to revise my plan again to average 3,000 for the month. My problem is, the udo's oil I take is 125 calories for one tablespoon, 90 calories endurathon I drink while working out, and after the workout I have an energy bar (7:00 am) for 290 calories. Right there, is 500 calories. I have for breakfast (4:30 am) cereal for breakfast with skim milk is about 350 cal. I have triscuits at 9:00am (200 cal), 2% fat cheddar chesse at 10:30 (180 cal); tuna, lowfat mayo, and bread for lunch 500 cal, grapefruit at 4:00 pm (80 cal), so far this totals 1,800 cal. Then I have whey at night (230 cal). This would leave me just 500 calories for dinner. As I said, I would like to add another tablespoon of Udo's oil 125 each day, and after lunch until dinner, I just have a grapefruit. I want to add something at about 2:30, like 1/2 pound of lowfat cottage chesse. So for me, 3,000 is cutting it to the bone, and even at this rate, it is hard to get the 200 grams of protein that I would like to reach each day.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 7/30. Friday calories: 2,840. workout: 30 minutes stairmaster; 30 minutes running. mtd workouts: 6/7. Yesterday, I seemed to have finally gotten calories under control. For my weighin, I weighed 200.50, a gain of 1/2 pound. It was more or less what I was expecting. If you believe the Tanita body fat scale, I went down 1 %, for 16 to 15%, and I have been stuck at 16% for a long time. When I was doing my upper body lifting today, my weights increased, and I was able to do more reps, so I guess I could have lost fat and gained muscle. My chest also went up 1/4 inch. I have been lifting upper body once a week, and I have been making steady gains, so I might continue for awhile, I had planned to change. My goal for next Saturday is 198.50, a loss of 2 pounds. My workouts have been consistent (6 days a week), I just need to get a better handle on my diet. Tomorrow running in a 4 mile run, an easy day.

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 8/30. Saturday calories: 2,550. workout: upper body lifting, 30 minutes rower; 30 minutes running. mtd workouts: 7/8. I skipped my planned 4 mile run today, and made today a rest day. I wanted to start taking off a weekend day, and workout 5 days during the week, and 1 weekend day, and if I didn't start one weekend, I never would. I really felt like working out, had to stop myself. When I skip a day during the week, I wake up ab out 6:30 instead of 4:30 am on my workout days, it makes to harder to wake up early the next day etc. I seemed to have gotten my diet under control, my calories were the lowest since the end of March. I really would like to get to 198 next weekend, since that would bring me to a 55 pound loss, and I would like to be under 200 on my birthday next week. Also, 198 will bring me to within 15 pounds of my preliminary planned total loss to 183, a 70 pound loss.

#43 Shamie, Apr 9, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 9/30. Sunday calories: 2,150. workout: rest day. mtd workouts: 7/9. Alarm went off this morning, and went right back to bed, woke up to late to workout today, so today is another rest day. Don't want to go at night, since I won't be able to go tomorrow morning. Calories were great, and I wasn't even hungry. This made me think that maybe I need to make better choices with the foods I eat, and that fitting all of my nutrients into 2,500-2700 shouldn't be a problem. I found a pair of jeans in my closet, that I had bought, but never wore, size 36 waist, and tried them on. That fit great all over, but to be honest, while they were no means tight at the waist, they were alittle snug. When I started this plan, back in Sept 04, I wore a size 42 waist. I hope in the not too distant future, I will look at that size 36, like I look at the size 42 now, and think how big my waist used to be. I am not buying any clothing until I get what I feel will be my normal weight, with a waist somewhere around 32. I was tempted to say 34, but I don't think you can show too much of a six pack with a 34 waist.

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 10/30. Monday calories: 2,590. workout: rest day. mtd workouts - 7/10. This is my stupidist reason of all for not working out: I watched King Kong last night, it is over 3 hours, and I didn't finish till about 1:00 am, and while I woke up at 4:10, I was too tired to go. I am just going to group these 3 days as a well earned rest period, and get back on the horse tomorrow. Yesterday, I had no coffee, and after drinking so much coffee lately, I had a hard time, I was so tired. My diet has been good of late, but for some reason, maybe the lack of exercise for 3 days, I feel bloated today. The weather here (NJ) is starting to get warm, and pretty soon going to alternate going to the gym with running outdoors.

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 11/30. Tuesday calories: 2,520. workout: rest day. mtd workouts: 7/11. Calories were right on target yesterday. I do need to fine tune my nutrition though, since at 2,520 calories I am no way near 200 grams of protein. Fat is pretty low already, so I need to reduce carbs (except before, during and after workout). I had a good workout this morning, 30 minutes on an arctrainer (like elliptical), and 30 minutes running 3.50 miles. It felt good to workout after 3 days of rest. I am off from work tomorrow and Friday, I think I will lift upper body tomorrow, along with cardio, and Friday just cardio. When I am not working, keeping my calories low is more of a challenge, but I really want to see the scale below 200 this Saturday, so I think I am up to the challenge.

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 12/30. Weds - calories 2,950. workout: 30 minutes arctrainer; 30 minutes running. mtd workouts: 8/12. Weds calories were higher than I would have liked, but it only got worse from there.

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 13/30. calories: 7,400. workout: 60 minutes running. mtd workouts: 9/13. Went out to dinner with friends, so this is just a guesstimate, but I think pretty accurate. I am off from work today, and after my workout at the gym today, I weighed myself after I showered, and I was 205, a gain of 5 pounds for the week. I felt so bloated this morning, I feell 200% better after my workout today though. The scale at the gym, always gives the same weight as my scale at home, but I am sure most of it is water weight. Hopefully I will lose like 3 pounds of water weight by tomorrow, my official weighin date. I have eaten so much this month, it will be a real stretch to get to a 3,000 average for the month. But on the brighter side, after a slow start this week, I was able to get in 4 workouts this week, less than normal, but within my mimumum range. I am not going to beat myself up that I won't be under 200 by my birthday, I will try now to be 196 by month end, assuming I am still 200 (after shedding my water weight) that gives me 2 weeks at losing 2 pounds a week. It will be tough, but I feel like I got eating alot out of my system, and I am ready to eat clean the rest of the month.

9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 14/30. calories: 4,190. workout: 30 minutes arctrainer; 30 minutes treadmill. mtd workouts: 10/14. I know I said that I got "eating alot" out of my system yesterday, but I guess I had one last splurge left. For the 2nd half of the month, I am going to make up for lost time. Had a great cardio workout this morning, I was planning to lift lower body, but when I was stretching before lifting, my back was in pain, so I knew it was not happening today. To be honest, even when I was running my back hurt. I was surprised, since all week it didn't bother me at all. I was going to skip my weighin today, and weigh myself tomorrow, or on my birthday on Monday, but I decided to bite the bullet today, and maybe seeing the number on the scale might shock me into being my careful. I weighed 206 today, a gain of 5.50 pounds from last week. I pretty sure most of it is water, in fact last night I easily drank a gallon of water, since I must have had alot of salt of late.

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 15/30. calories: Saturday 2,230. workout: 30 minutes rower; 30 minutes treadmill. mtd workouts: 11/15. I guess seeing that 206 on the scale, a gain of 6 pounds in one week scared me (though I believe most was water weight), since I was able to keep my calories at 2,230 for the day.

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 16/30. Sunday calories: 2,585. workout: 30 minutes stairmaster; 30 minutes treadmill. mtd workouts 12/16. I started upper body lifting, I got to the bench press, and after 3 sets decided to quit, since my back hurt, it was even difficult to get off the bench. I don't know what caused this. I haven't done squats in over 2 weeks, and my back was fine until yesterday. On a brighter note, from all this cardio, running almost everyday, my running has really improved. I really am starting to think I will be able to run the NYC marathon this year in under 4 hours, which would be a significant improvement over last year. Today, it has been tough to stay at 2,585 calories, but as I said, I want to make up for screwing up the first part of the month, and if I can keep calories at approximately 2,500 for the balance of the month, I should be able to get within my 3,000 daily limit for the month. I don't want to take any rest days until a day next weekend, so this is going to be a tough week.

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 17/30. Monday calories: 2,510. workout: rest day. mtd workouts: 12/17. Took off yesterday as a rest day - unplaned. Today ran for 1 hour on a treadmill at the gym (just short of 7 miles). I was so hungry, that I woke up at 4:00 am (before my alarm) to eat oatmeal. I need to stop at Starbucks on my way home tonight, since strong coffee seems to moderate my desire for food. I am off from work tomorrow and Thursday, so if my back feels better, I am going to try and lift on Weds, and if that goes well, lower body on Thursday.

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 18/30. Tuesday - 2,750 calories. workout: 60 minutes running. mtd workout: 13/18. Off from work today, but woke up early as usual, 4:00 am since I was so hungry, and went to gym. Did one hour of cardio. I had planned on lifting today, while my back feels fine now, my shoulder hurts. Probably won't lift until Saturday, to fully recuperate (I can almost feel my muscles shrinking). Last night, I watched the movie "March of the Penguins". I saw it at Blockbuster before, but thought it was a children's movie, and wasn't interested. But there was nothing to take out, so I took it out. It was great. It put things in perspective for me. After the egg is layed, the female needs nurishment, and has to walk 60 miles to the ocean for food. The male has to protect the egg, between it's legs, for even 30 seconds in the cold would kill the egg. It stands around for 3 months with an egg between it's legs, with no food (for 3 months), protecting the egg in the freezing temperature. And I was feeling sorry for myself, that I can only eat 2,450 calories the rest of this month (12 days). What a wimp.

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 19/30. Weds calories: 2,980. workout: 30 minutes elliptical; 30 minutes running. mtd workouts: 14/19. I usually update this in the morning, but I thought if I update it now, it might somehow prevent me from eating anything else today. I was off from work today (and tomorrow), so it is more difficult to keep my calories low, since I have access to food all day, whereas when I am in my office, food is somewhat limited. I added no sugar jello at night, since it only 40 calories and fills me up. I did one intelligent thing today, I was at the supermarket, and they had easter candy 75% off, I was so tempted to buy some (as I did after Christmas), but I resisted (knowing what happened after Christmas, when I ate 14 bags of chocolate kisses). My motto is "if it not in the house, it can't be eaten." I am getting alittle anxious about weighing myself on Friday. I feel thinner, but oddly at the same time, I feel bloated, since I have been having so much water, jello & coffee. I hope at the very least, to be back at 200 again.

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 20/30. Thursday calories: 3,020. workout: 60 minutes running (ran 7.25 in 60 minutes). mtd workouts: 15/20. Back at work today, had a great workout this morning. I know calories are inching up, but since I was off from work, it makes it much harder to eat less. I did weigh myself at the gym yesterday, which was a mistake, since now I will be disappointed if I don't get the same or better results when I weigh myself on Saturday. I was 199, but it is hard to tell, since I weighed myself after my run. I drink alot of water when I am running, but on the other hand, I sweat alot, so it is hard to tell. I did like seeing a number below 200. I am going to eat lite today, to try to insure that I weigh 198 on Saturday. Shoulder and back feel better, so I should be able to lift tomorrow. Sunday, I am running in a 4 mile run (in the rain), so I won't be doing a lower body workout, though, with my back problems of recent, it is probably a good thing.

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 21/30. Friday calories: 3,245. workout: 30 minutes stairmaster; 30 minutes running. mtd workouts: 16/21. Calories inching up again. For my weighin today, I was 200 even. That was a loss of 6 pounds for the week. As I said, most of the weight gain last week (5.50 pounds) was water weight, so I really lost .50 of a pound. I was alittle disappointed not to be under 200, but I ate too much this week, so it should be no surprise to me. I lost another 1/4 inch on my chest. When I got to the gym this morning, my back and shoulder felt fine. I warmed up with 30 minutes on the rower, then started my upper body workout. My back started to hurt while getting on the bench, but I was determined to soldier on, since I don't want my chest to shrink again next week. I did my full workout, except back dips, bend over row, pushups, and crunches and shrugs. Then ran for 30 minutes. My tanita scale showed another drop in my body fat to 14%, but I don't find that believeable.

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 22/30. Saturday calories: 4,540. workout: 30 minutes rower, 30 minutes treadmill; upper body lifting (somewhat abreviated). mtd workouts: 17/22. I am considering Saturday as a cheat day, though I really didn't cheat on stuff I like, I just ate alot. I was supposed to run in a 4 mile run, but didn't go since it was raining hard. Went to gym instead, went on elliptical for 30 minutes, and then was going to do lower body workout, but decided against it, since didn't want to aggravate my back. Instead ran for 1 hours, 7.10 miles. Usually I limit myself to 60 minutes of cardio, but since I ate so much yesterday, I had alot of energy, so decided to burn more calories than usual. I finished the items I had targeted to finish in my house this month already, which was triscuits, raisans, and cheddar chesse. In addition, I am adding soy crisps (snack like product) to finish in April. At this point, I have other things I want to finish, but they are more long range. I no longer have any items I need to focus on each month, for the first time in 2 years. I am in the process of finishing cold cereal, kraft maroroni (a favorite), and rice packets. I have alot of all of these, so I working on finishing them all by the end of the year. I probably can finish the cereal (14 boxes sometime in July - August. The other items I am striving for one per week of each. I finally have extricated myself out of my food problem, so now that I am 99% done, I can eat for nutrition, and no longer to "get rid" of my stock of food. Therefore, I kind of wrote off April, and will be happy if I end the month as I started at 200 pounds. I expect big things from myself going forward though. I expect to be at 193 by the end of May, which would bring me to a 60 pound loss. I am aiming for 2,600 calories a day in May.

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 23/30. Sunday calories: 5,000 guesstimate. workout: 30 minutes elliptical; 60 minutes running. mtd workouts: 18/23. Went out to eat last night, did not calculate calories yet, so the 5,000 is a total guess. I felt so bloated last night, and went to bed at 10:15, which for me is pretty early. I intended to make today a rest day, but since I went to sleep so early, I woke up a 4:00 am. I couldn't eat breakfast, just had some coffee. Since I was up, (and had all those calories last night as stored energy) I figured I might as well to go work out. I went to gym, and I did an hour of cardio. I was soaked when I finished, and I felt great, no longer bloated. I also skipped my after workout recovery bar, since I was still so full. I intend to workout everyday this week, and eat correctly the rest of the week. While I don't mind staying the same for the month as I started, I definitely don't want to gain any weight for the month. I am going to try for 2,600 calories the rest of the week, and see how it is, since I plan that amount for May. No more fooling around, it is time to get serious, I want to end May at 193 or less, hopefully at around 190. I want this to be a great summer, so assuming I could get to 190 by the end of May, 183 at the end of June would be within reach.

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 24/30. Monday calories: 5,420. workout: 30 minutes arctrainer; 30 minutes running. mtd workouts: 19/24. Working out before work is such a habit now, I don't even need an alarm clock. This morning had another good workout, probably because of all the calories I ate yesterday. I really need to get back on the program starting today, if I am to be 200 on Saturday. At the moment, feel bloated, and probably would be around 205 if I weighed myself now. My mistake yesterday was skipping breakfast, and after workout, skipped my post workout energy bar, so when I left work yesterday I was starving. I ended eating a whole bag of jelly beans, which did me in yesterday. I shouldn't have said yesterday or the day before that I am "writing off" April, since there are still 5 days left, and with that attitude, no progress can be made. Back starting hurting again. I am alittle concerned that it might be kidney stones, which I had before. I thought I had a back problem at that time, but it eventually started to be really painful, and was kidney stones, but this is nowhere nearly as painful (yet).

20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

day 25/30. Tueday calories: 2,320. workout: 30 minutes elliptical; 30 minutes running. mtd workouts: 20/25. Took today off, I was so tired yesterday, I could barely keep my eyes open. Finally got calories under control, I hope it is a trend. Not much to say today.