1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Kaizen - Continuous Improvement

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Shamie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice going with those short turn around times between gym sessions. It sure doesn't sound easy.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I hate to be considered a gym rat, but lately when I look in the mirror, that is what I see. :)

Running / walking today: 4.06; m-t-d: 69.37

3/23/11 Weds - arm training; 38 minutes dreadmill running. m-t-d workouts: 18/23. I feel like I am on automatic pilot, I get up without thinking about not going to the gym. My thinking is that I need to get there by 5:00 am, so that I can fit 38 minutes of cardio, lift, and getting out early enough to get a spot in the park & ride. Since it is snowing today (not sticking), I wanted to make sure I got a spot. I did get a spot, but just barely, 60 seconds later, and I would have been too late. I am running in a 15K on Saturday, my first road race of the year. I am pretty sure I will run the NYC marathon again this year. I was thinking I do want to get in 15 NYC marathons, so that I can get automatic entry every year after I reach 15. After I relocate, when I come back to visit the NY area, I would at least have the opportunity to schedule the visit around the marathon.

I hope to make my goal of a 10 lb loss of weight since the start of the year, when I weigh myself on Sunday. Hopefully, the more then usual running I am doing will help reach that goal. But I have been eating more, since I feel I need the extra calories for running. My calories have been running about 3,500 a day, but I hope to get the average down to 3,400 for the month.

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 4.06; m-t-d: 73.43

3/24/11 Thurs - chest training; 37 minutes dreadmill running. m-t-d workouts: 19/24. I ran the exact same distance as yesterday, in one minute less. I had a somewhat abbreviated chest session, since I wanted to get a spot in the park & ride. Unfortunately, I didn't get a spot, and could have spent the time more productively completing all of the lifts I wanted to do. :mad: Today was the exact opposite of yesterday, I woke up, the first thing that came to my mind, was that I am taking a rest day. Then I was thinking I most likely won't make the 100 miles for the month if I take a rest day (at that time - thinking who gives a fu*k) Then I told myself I might go after work. Then I was thinking if I don't reach my goal of a 10 lb loss for the first 3 months of the year, this will be the reason why, and proves I am lazy. All this thinking went on in less then one minute. That I went to pee, and before I knew it, I had on my gym clothes, was making coffee, and was out the door 10 minutes after waking up. And I am glad I went, I feel calm and refreshed now.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice going on pushing aside those early morning thoughts and getting to the gym.

How much snow did you get?

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

1/2 inch or less. I hear that you received more snow south & west.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    We got close to three inches. :(:ohnoes:

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 4.04; m-t-d: 77.47

3/25/11 Friday - back training; 37 minutes dreadmill running. m-t-d workouts: 20/25. When I was working out, I saw on the news there was a big accident near the Lincoln tunnel. Before that, I was thinking I need to cut my workout short, or I am going to be late to work today. But after I saw the story, I knew I would be late anyway, so I got to complete every rep of every set I wanted. :) It must have been a bad accident, since the buses were diverted to the Secaucus train station, and I had to take the train to Manhattan. For my 15K race this weekend, lucky I checked that the race is on Sunday. All along I was thinking it was on Saturday. I would have made the trip to the race for nothing tomorrow. It has happened to me before. :nod: Worst is when I think it is Sunday, and the race is Saturday, so I don't have the opportunity to go to the race the next day.

#2887 Shamie, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Saturday Running / walking today: 4.04; m-t-d: 81.51

3/26/11 Saturday - leg training; 37 minutes dreadmill running. m-t-d workouts: 21/26. I am now on a streak of 15 days working out in a row, now I can't stop, I don't want to break the streak.:confused: I probably should have skipped leg training, and running yesterday, since my legs feel pretty tired today, and I have to leave shortly to run in a 15K. Hopefully the excitement of running in the race will energize me. Assuming I finish the 15K, that will put me just short of 90 miles, with 4 days to run the 10 to make 100 miles for the month.

9. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Shamie, you are probably one of the most consistent JSFers for workouts! I am always so impressed by this consistency. Have you ever run through your stats for say, the last 5 years?

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I hope you enjoyed the run this morning Shamie. Was it in CP?

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

:lol:

Thanks Jedi. I haven't, but I do have the records if I want to. It probably is better to work smarter then harder, but this seems to work for me.

Running / walking today: 9.56; m-t-d: 91.07

3/27/11 Sunday - 90 minutes dreadmill running. m-t-d workouts: 22/27. (the workout streak continues - 16 days). I was thinking this morning, I better check my email, to verify I was running in the 15K, because they also had a 4 mile run. I was pretty sure I registered for the 15K, but when I registered, I thought maybe at the time I thought the 15K was too long, and registered for the 4 mile run. When I checked, I found out I didn't register for either.:confused: I registered for 5 races at the time I registered, and messed up and didn't register for this one. I was going to go to the race anyway, but on the website it said "event near capacity", and didn't want to get there and find out I couldn't register. As a poor substitute, I was going to run for an hour on the treadmill, but when I finished the hour, I figured I would have run 9.30 miles if I had ran the 15K, so I should be able to do the same on the treadmill. I was drenched when I was done. But I felt strong running, and could have continued.

#2891 Shamie, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :confused: Not sure what you found funny other than having a different interpretation of what CP stands for. I meant Central Park.

It was a very good thing you checked because to have one there and been shut out would have gotten the day of to a lousy start.

Once again I have to shake my head in wonderment as I read about your latest treadmill exploits. Nicely done!

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I knew CP stood for Central Park. I was laughing only because I didn't run. If CP has another meaning, I am unaware. :confused: It was only yesterday, that I found the meaning of BFF. :nod: Since I read it was added to the dictionary.

Truthfully, I feel the same way about you "outdoors runners"

Running / walking today: 4.02; m-t-d: 95.09

3/28/11 Monday - shoulders / triceps; 37 minutes dreadmill running. m-t-d workouts: 23/28. (the workout streak continues - 17 days). Part of me thought I deserved a rest day, after running 9.5 miles yesterday, on the other hand I didn't want to break the workout streak, and didn't want the pressure of having to workout the next 3 days to reach the 100 mile mark. If I can get to the gym tomorrow at 5:00 am, I can run 5 miles to reach the 100 miles, and still have time for arm training. At the beginning of the month, 1/2 the time on the treadmill I spent thinking of when I would stop to drink from my water bottle. Now, I easily run 30 minutes without drinking, and usually once I reach 30 minutes, I figure I might as well continue without stopping until I finish.

I didn't weigh myself or take measurements this weekend, since I didn't think I would like what I saw. I decided to do it on 3/31, the end of the quarter, even though I don't think I am going to like what I see then either. Anytime I run over 1 hour, it makes me really hungry later in the day. Yesterday, while I burned about 1,500 calories running for 90 minutes, I later ate 6 onces of jelly beans (840 cal), and a Hersheys Milk chocolate bar (600 cal). :bang:

14. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Some of us swing both ways. :madpimp:

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

:lol: Running outside it too tough on my joints, since I have osteo arthritis. I try to save the outdoor running for races.

Running / walking today: 5.02; m-t-d: 100.01 (goal reached)

3/29/11 Tuesday - arm training; 46 minutes dreadmill running. m-t-d workouts: 24/29. (the workout streak continues - 18 days). I hate to be repetitive (truthfully, I am nothing if not repetitive), that I woke up thinking I would take a rest day, but didn't want to break my workout streak. I did make it to 100 miles, just barely. Surprisingly, my knees feel great. I am glad I gave up the stair machine, that was tough on my knees. I left off barbell curls, since I was getting short on time, and the 70lb barbells were being used, and it didn't occur to me to go to the squat rack, and load up a barbell with 35 additional pounds of plates.:confused: But it worked out well, since I got a spot in the park & ride.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on reaching your 100 mile goal.

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thanks. I just read an article, that for marathon training, a minimum of 40 miles a week should be run. That is 160 miles. Yikes. I don't know what my goal will be for April, but I might try to up it to 120. I will have to do some longer runs to meet that goal.

Running / walking today: 0.00; m-t-d: 100.01 (goal reached)

3/30/11 Wednesday - rest day. m-t-d workouts: 24/30. Sorry to say, but the exercise streak is over. :cry: (technically, it is not over yet, since I can still workout tonight, which is a remote possibility). I thought taking a rest day today, would be more productive then a workout this morning. After deciding not to workout today, I went back to sleep, woke up late, and had no time for a shower. At least tomorrow, my hair will look really good, since I guess shampooing every day dries out the hair (I never use conditioner - I hate it) and one day of rest has a benefit. But I can't get too close to anyone today.:) Even though I left my house late, the bus didn't come for 20 minutes, I still got to work before 9:00 am.

#2897 Shamie, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have problems with one size fits all statements such as the one you quoted about running 40 miles per week. I think it depends upon the individual, his/her fitness level, and his/her expectations for the race. I can tell you that I won't be running 40 miles per week as I train for Burlington, but my expectations are not that of a front runner. I'm sure the people who cross the finish line a long time before me do at least 40 per week. Also, my mileage totals tend to be on the low side since I also cycle for cardio to save my legs.

Your streak was nice and at times was a big motivator for you, but if you really feel you need a rest it would be counter productive to exercise just to keep the streak alive.

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Elite runners do 90+ miles a week, but I don't think they have full time jobs. :) I think the article meant that people who run marathons should be doing a minimum of 40 miles per week, in order to get in enough mileage to safely finish a marathon, to have enough cardio endurance. I know I certainly haven't followed those rules. This year though, I am going to train better.

Running / walking today: 0.00; m-t-d: 100.01 (goal reached)

3/31/11 Thursday - chest training. m-t-d workouts: 25/31. I was going to run today, but since I already made my goal for the month, I decided to start again tomorrow, so it will count towards April's total. April is a shorter month, and I have 20 more miles to run. I am beyond tired today, I woke up, I had no instant coffee in the house, and had no time to make coffee from the french press. Chest workout was good, someone told me I was bringing my arms to far back when doing dumbbell flyes, which I appreciated. He said it was bad for the shoulders. He obviously knew what he was talking about, since he looked like he could break my neck like a twig. I summarized my nutrition for the month (including today, since I know exactly what I will be eating), but left the sheet at home. I ate much more then planned for March. When I had no refrigerator for about 2 weeks, that killed me. First of all, I was eating a lot of food from the freezer, since I wanted to consume before I had to throw it out. Then, when that food was gone, or thrown out, I ate a sleeve of potato chips for 5 days for dinner (900 cal). Since I got the new refrigerator, I am eating back to normal now.

I skipped weigh in and measurements today, due to lack of time, and not wanting to see the numbers on the scale. Hopefully, I can turn a new leaf for April. I worked out 25 times, the same as last March. The workouts pretty much offset the extra eating, so there wasn't much cutting being done this month.

#2899 Shamie, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Running / walking today: 6.37; m-t-d: 6.37

Friday - 4/1/11: 60 minutes dreadmill running. m-t-d workouts: 1/1. I woke up tired, so didn't workout this morning. I might drop by the gym on my way home from work tonight. I did drop by the gym after work, and ran for 1 hour. That was a good way to start the month. I don't like to take a rest day the first of the month, it sets a bad tone for the month.

Here is how the year has turned out nutritionally through the end of the March:

Calories:

Jan........ 107,745 daily average.. 3,476
    Feb......... 92,116 daily average.. 3,290
    2 month...200,141 daily average.. 3,392
    March......118,744 daily average.. 3,830
    3 month...318,885 daily average.. 3,543

Carb grams:

Jan........ 16,242 daily average.. 524
    Feb........ 12,008 daily average.. 429
    2 month...28,250 daily average.. 478
    March......15,959 daily average.. 515
    3 month...44,209 daily average.. 491

Protein grams:

Jan........ 4,092 daily average.. 132
    Feb........ 3,933 daily average.. 140
    2 month...8,025 daily average.. 136
    March......4,018 daily average.. 130
    3 month...12,043 daily average..131

Fat grams:

Jan........ 3,147 daily average.. 102
    Feb........ 3,384 daily average.. 121
    2 month...6,531 daily average.. 111
    March......4,256 daily average.. 137
    3 month...10,787 daily average..121

Workouts:

Jan..........20
    Feb......... 24
    2 month... 44
    March...... 25
    3 month... 69

Road Races: zero

My nutrition needs a major overhaul. You know you are doing something wrong, when you fat grams are higher then your protein grams, as they were for me in March.

#2900 Shamie, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011