1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Justitia's soon to turn 66 :-o ; She is trying out some new tricks :-)

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Justitia, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Hi, everybody, :wave:

I am so glad to be back.

So, let today be a new start for me. It's been so long since I've been able to work out and stick to food plan and I've lost so much of my conditioning.

I am sorry to see that Mastover is no longer here; I did read the posts when he stepped down as the JSF fitness consultant. Parkinson's I recall he had. This is what my partner has though a more unusual form of it -- manifests itself more cognitively in various ways (though nothing like Alzheimers or the traditional forms of dementia.) (He's in the picture attached to my post, back row at extreme left -- you can't see him too well.)

As I said in my post here (I can't recall how to link just to my post -- if that is possible), I've been on a long spirally journey with my partner as he's gone through various medical decline.

But now he is in the final place he will be living and I am hoping the demands on me won't be so great and that I can get back to taking care of myself.

So today, Friday the 13th, is my first day.

Workout:

Cardio:
    42 min on Cybex 750 Arc Trainer, resistance at 50 (usually at 60 or higher), HR reached 130 - the max I let it get to these days.
    Felt a little wobbly; I am amazed how what I've been through particularly the last 18 months has so thoroughly drained me.​

Stretch:

Did a good and through 20 minute stretch session. Couldn't reach as far as I was accustomed to ...but I presume that will come back with time. a lot of crackling of bones and joints :o

Food:
    Day's not over yet but on plan though behind schedule with the timing of my eating. Something I need to work on.​

Too scared to weigh or measure myself.... I see what I look like in the mirror and I never thought I would ever have this middle-aged body -- :cry: But I do believe that with better care, better food, better work-outs and better sleep, I can recover a lot of what I lost.

I will take some weights and measurements as time goes on. :nod:

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome back Justitia. Sorry to read about the difficulties that you and PGC have had to endure.

:nod:

3. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks, Seltzer!

I woke up sick today - so just chicken soup
    7 bed for me today. :blank:

4. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Hallo young lady... :wave:

5. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Hi Justitia. Glad to hear it sounds like you will have some more time to devote to physical fitness which I know you enjoy. Best wishes there and with your PGC.

6. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Justitia, I saw your group picture. If that is you in the black spaghetti string top, then you look great for any age.

7. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks, Leftyx. That was 6 years ago so I was 59 in that picture.

Been MIA for the past week. I get waylaid by issues with my partner. My food was rather clean though not on plan. Enough however that I lost the 3 lbs from my recent period of binge eating getting through the ordeal of reducing my partner's personal effects over Thanksgiving and the week or so after.

Due to other time constraints, no working out this past week.

But I feel my energy returning after the 4 years of stress dealing with my partner's medical issues and the implications for his personal matters that ended up in my lap to handle.

I hope tomorrow, Monday, I will be able to get to the gym for cardio.

My food today thus far:

Lunch: my "food plan" salad with measured ingredients to meet certain macro requirements: some type of lettuce base -- Broccosprouts, shredded carrots, a couple of grape tomatoes, radish, red & yellow bell pepper, cremini mushrooms and some pieces of grilled artichoke heart. On top was 2 Tbs of salad dressing and 5 oz of lean pork.

Snack: 3.3 oz roast beef chunks with 1 oz of cheddar cheese.

Snack: Honeycrisp apple (put lip-smacking smiley here :) )

Dinner: Crab cake, Veggie mélange (my own recipe) with Zukes and yellow squash.

I had some allergy reaction -- I've been allergic to mussels for about 10 years (one of my favorites to eat :( ) and very occaisionally I will have an allergic reaction to some other seafood which I eat all the time but for some reason that one time, I have an allergic response.

The allergy is to internal consumption of iodine -- which resulted from the number of IVP dyes injected into me when I was younger and having lots of bladder an kidney infections and they were taking x-rays. Too many exposures and one would develop allergies to the iodine in it.

Now IVP dyes -- so I understand -- don't have iodine in them any more because of this problem. (My infection source was resolved back then so I haven't had an IVP dye for 3 decades or more.)

But as I got older I became increasingly sensitive to the presence of iodine. My allergic reaction to mussels, that develop in my early 50's was because (or so I was told), mussels tend ot be loaded with iodine.

So the periodic allergy reaction to other seafood -- I assume was because for some reason that piece of seafood had a lot of idodine in it -- maybe because it was cut and cleaned where mussels were.

But lately, (like in the last year) those sporadic allergy reactions have been occurring with i9ncreasing frequency with all kinds of seafood.

But this one was different than my norm. I usually start itching all over my body but particularly around my face. It starts to swell really badly and then I take (now) 4 benedryl and after an hour it calms down.

But last night, my eyes started watering and I started sneezing and my eyes were itchy -- nothing else. But it was really bad and after an hour of it getting progressively worse, I took some benedryl which calmed it down after an hour or so.

That suggests more of an allergin in the air. I live on the top floor of a 30 story high-rise and I get all the garbage that floats in the air that comes up through the heat shaft form the apartments on the 29 floors below me. I have an air filter that supposed to catch all that but it is hard to get all the air as the air shoots out the shaft at the flue next to the ceiling -- and the air filter is on the floor -- big and powerful but still -- it takes an hour to get everything.

Anyway -- after that, I ate about 1/4 lb of fresh salted nuts and several no sugar added fudgsicles. (Still components of sugar in them but no sugar per se -- misleading but still better than the regular ones.)

Then I went to sleep -- though I did not sleep well.

#7 Justitia, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  8. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

So, today:

Chocolate Protein shake: 32 grams of Heliogen Casein, 29 g of Native Whey Protein Isolate, 2 tbls Organic Grass-Fed Cow's Heavy Cream, 1 1/2 tbls Lake Champlain Organic Unsweetened Cocoa, 41 grams organic banana, Essentia Hig PH water and ice cubes made from FoxLedge Spring water 390 cal = 52 g Protein, 13 g carbs, 13 g fat

Protein powder sweetened by stevia.

Drank that at 9:30 Am

AM grading exams and intermittently doing household chores. Am off to the gym for cardio on a Cybex 660 Arc Trainer -- similar but much better than an elliptical trainer. Going to watch an old episode of Law & Order:SVU while doing it -- only thing that keeps my mind from dying of boredom... :boredtodeath:

Didn't make it to the gym :( . I did a few household chores before I went and then I got tired. So I ate my lunch and took a nap.

Lunch:
    1. 6 oz boneless, skinless Chicken thigh with all visible fat removed: 34g Protein, 2gFat

2. "food plan salad" (lettuce mix, Broccosprouts, radish, 2 grape tomatoes, some red and yellow bell pepper, shredded carrots, <1 oz grilled artichoke hearts and cremini mushrooms): 8g Carbs

3. 2 1/2 Tbs Lemon Shallot Vinaigrette: 2.5 g Carbs, 12.5 g Fat
    Total: 34 g Protein, 10.5 g Carbs, 14.5 g Fat

4. Afternoon snack: 3.5 oz cooked boneless, skinless Balsamic Chicken Breast (from Whole Foods), 1 oz med soft goat cheese.

So I missed my dinner again -- that seems to be the one meal I have a hard time getting to and that is when I tend to eat way off plan.

I started to, but then didn't, eat a weight-watcher's ice cream bar. I need to stay away form sugar as much as possible right now as it triggers me.

I ate a huge Honey Crisp apple and about an ounce of blue cheddar cheese. Then later on, I was hungry and I got a fig-blue-cheese torta with crushed pecans and mascarpone cheese as well that I bought from Whole Foods for my partner and ate most of that. There is sugar in it but somehow, everything is a little too strong flavored -and biting- so despite it being rather small I only ate 75%.

I have to be careful to eat my dinner on time. My problem is that my peak productivity time is from about 4 -9 or 10 in the evening and by the time I stop, it is too late to eat a real meal and it isn't appetizing anyway and 4:00 is too early. And once I get going, I don't want to stop.

I have to work on that. :nod:

#8 Justitia, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  9. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Do you make the lemon shallot vinegarette? I am looking for some healthy yet atsty salad dressing ideas.

10. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I provided a link to the dressing. I don't have time to make dressings and I like variety. I really like Cindy's Kitchen Salad Dressings. That is pretty much the only brand I use.

They aren't organic but they are "all natural". I have no idea whether that term is legally regulated. But Whole Foods sells them and Whole Foods is pretty rigorous about the products it sells.

Here is the listed ingredients for the Lemon Shallot Vinaigrette:

Filtered Water, Organic High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Organic Extra Virgin First Pressed Olive Oil, Honey, White Balsamic Vinegar, Pure Cane Sugar, Shallots, Sherry Vinegar, Red Wine Vinegar, Sea Salt, Mustard (Mustard Seed, Vinegar, White Wine, Water, Sea Salt, Spices), Onion, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Pear Juice Concentrate, Lemon Peel, Citric Acid, Parsley, Cucumber Juice Concentrate, Xanthan Gum, Turmeric. *GLUTEN FREE, NON-GMO OIL.​

There are a few organic ingredients but there is also Xanthan Gum which is discussed at the link on Bob's Red Mill website, which also emphasizes healthy and natural and sometimes organic foods.

The description of the dressing only states NON-GMO Oil as opposed to no GMO ingredients at all. On their Facebook page -- a number of people have asked if they use any other GMO ingredients. They refuse to answer or they answer by repeating that they use non=GMO oil in their dressings.

My best guess is that they are not able to confirm (at least yet) the rest of their ingredients or they are switching over to those that can prove they are non-GMO.

Whole Foods has started a project which requires that by 2018 all suppliers to use either all non-GMO ingredients or label their products with what GMO ingredients they use.

But that is more than 4 years away. And I am surprised that Whole Foods would sell products that have GMO's in them.

On the other hand, the GMOs are probably going to infect most of the world in the long run anyway -- so we may not be able to escape it anyhow.

11. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

This website automacally posts links to key words. For instance if I type

amazon,

that should be bold and linked. Unless someone states here is a link for xyz, i assume it is just an ad.

Thanks for the info on the dressing.

12. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yeah, I noticed that. That's new since the last time I was hanging out here. I understand -- I will note when I've added the link in my posts in the future.

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I like that piece of cardio equipment also. It gives a better workout then the elliptical (imho).

Welcome back, and sorry to hear about your PGC. My father used to give advice "Don't get old".:). You don't understand that until you age.

14. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well Xmas and post Xmas sucked re: food plan and exercise.

I have a vegan wrap I am eating now. Not my food plan. But we got all this food over xmas and I will eat it.

I am sleeping terribly because of some facet joint disorder. It is causing a huge amount of pain. Went to PT yesterday. He seemed to make it worse. The problem is it is much worse during the night than the day -- and he treated it as my usual stuff. But this seems different.

Back to grading. Don't know if I will make it to the gym -- my gym was closed X-mas day and shor hours the day before and yesterday. Don't know about today.

15. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I finished my grades Saturday evening. I was quite wiped out on Sunday. I have thrown my facet joints in my back out and they are disrupting my sleep.

Nevertheless, I made myself get up though since I am on semester break, I don't have to. I got to the gym to do 45 minutes of fasted cardio LISS (Low Intensity, Steady State). I have started eating my food but very late in the day. Not sure how to proceed for today.

I also have to prepare my meals for the week. I don't have much energy to do so. I haven't really cooked for myself in 3 1/2 years. I've been very absorbed with my partner's mental and physical decline and getting his affairs in order. So I've been hiring young students to cook for me. But last week and this week, I am on my own as the students are on semester break.

Last week I failed to get my food in order... I ate all kinds of stuff I shouldn't and put on 3 lbs - to reach the highest weight I have been in 10 years.

Fortunately the food I get is extremely fresh so I can still use it this week, with a few replacements. But I must confess... I don't feel like I have the energy to cook. But somehow I will make myself do it.

Right now, I am going to make my week of salads and cook boneless, skinless chicken thighs -- everything organic of course..;)

16. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Notdoing too well....

Well, MIA again...

Very busy last week with the start of school.

Volunteered to adapt my supplement for a young prof who is teaching the same course for the first time. Had an RA to help. She pent a week, I spent 10 days. We both thought it would take 1-2 days at most. Young faculty member has no idea how much it took out of us and though she knew it was a lot. Didn't volunteer to help but then, there was not much she could do because she had no idea how it worked.

And my weight has gone up. I am now 165 1/2 lbs. That makes 16 1/2 lbs I gained since my partner became seriously ill 3 1/2 years ago, 7 of which were over the last 3 months.

Exhausted, no time for gym yet -- no energy either -- my ribs are still out of whack so, other than cardio I can't do anything anyway. Except to try and stay on my food plan and do cardio 3 x a week.

I saw my student evaluations for this past fall last night and but for one course, they are the worst I've ever had. I know it is because I am burnt out form partner's care.

For some reason, the 3rd course, I had the highest evaluations ever. My seminar. Don't understand it. But I have the students do most of the "teaching" and I have individual conferences to help them really do well on their papers, etc. I usually do pretty well in that course because for the individualized attention-- but this time -- it was the best I've ever had. But I don't think I performed any better in that one relative to the other two. I was just as burnt out with that -- but for some reason, the students almost uniformly thought it was one of the best courses they had in law school.

I had less than 6 hour sleep last night because I was awoken early by a former student.

So I am up for a very busy day, low on energy and low on moral.

My goal for today, is just to stay on my food plan. :tu:

Edit: Later -- well even that goal wasn't met. I forgot I had to take a job candidate out to lunch and the restaurant was an exceptionally good one and I had never been to it before. Though I didn't eat badly, it just wasn;t on my food plan.

I am exhausted. Brutal day on only 5 hrs sleep. So even though it is only 7:30, I am going to eat dinner and go to bed. :sleepy:

#16 Justitia, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014