1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Justitia's Recovery thread...if a 58 year old woman can do it... so can you!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Justitia, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

SO as people know who have been following my thread, I have had a rather overwhelming year of medical and dental concerns, the most significant of which I have just gotten home from, today, which was a hysterectomy which was performed because of the concern for the possibility of cancer. I am ecstatic to report that the surgery proved that I did not have cancer. My surgeon was excellent and I seem to be recovering in an excellent way already, only 48 hours later.

I had planned to take "before" pics just before the surgery because in my efforts to get ready for the surgery, I was down to my lowest weight and thought not the bet physical shape I have been in, I was pretty close. But there was too much to do getting ready for it all.

Now I regret it because my belly looks like I swallowed a huge barrel....:lol: I was wearing a size 8 when I went in, but I wore some camping pants that were a size 12 because I was told I would need some loose fitting clothing.

Well, those size 12's were too tight around my waist when I left the hospital and that was even with the waist band having stretchy portions....:( I am also sporting an abdominal corset to hold my midriff in place while I heal.

The nurses and residents said it will probably take at least 2 week for the swelling to go down. A lot of it is gas :eek: but most of it is just the swelling from the trauma of surgery.

Well, given the overall outcome, I can't complain... in fat I am thrilled.... I did not even realize how heavily this had been hanging over me.

So a critical thing is for me to get up and walk a lot during my recovery. Well it won't be LISS for quite a while but my goal is most immediately to be walking for 15 minute 3 x a day for now.

I checked out about my food and I can go on my regular food plan, so I am thrilled about that. I cannot lift anything heavier that 10 lbs for the first 2 weeks (though one guideline said nothing heavier that 25 lbs) I will probably not even try light weight in that period. I think, when I feel up to it that I will do Hindu squats and Hindu push-ups for a while as that only uses my own body weight. I will see how it goes...

Anyway, that is enough for my first post. I am starting to get tired.... getting home was almost like a keystone cop circus. I am filing a complaint with the hospital... though nothing serious went wrong, the mismanagement was incredible. And leaving was an unbelievable chore as the people in the pharmacy in this particular center act like no one in the world matters but them. So I was standing there for 40 minutes to get my medicine, I had not been standing more that 10 minuted before then. And that was AFTER I pulled out my "lawyer meanie" which usually scares the bejesus out of everyone and gets them moving... but not this crew. (They had been given the prescriptions 2 hours ahead of time and were warned to have them ready by a certain time.) I guess having major surgery took the wind out of my "force majeur" :lol:

2. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yippee Skippee.

3. Abigail Tow

Abigail Tow Active Member

welcome home

4. Gila Monster

Gila Monster Well-Known Member

Justitia,

I'm very happy to hear that all went well with your surgery and that you're recovering well!

I wish you best of health and may you heal quickly!!!

5. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I am thrilled that all is well!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!!:)

6. danboback

danboback Well-Known Member

Good luck on the recovery!

My mom just had this surgery done on June 1st and she is still taking it easy.

Glad to hear it wasn't cancerous!!:tu:

7. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

So I see that the avatar game has not let up at all in the last few days...:lol:

I was not able to sleep steadily through the night... most of the time I felt like I was in twilight. But even during the day I have awoken for an hour and then back to sleep.

I hurt in places that I did not hurt before, probably because I was too active yesterday. I became rather sore last night because I forgot to take my pain-killers.

Today is the first day I am feeling the nausea they warned me about. I don't feel like eating anything. I made myself drink a protein shake but other than that and water, I have had nothing. I have been up to walk around a bit but only for about 15 minutes. I went down to the security desk and there was my package from Matt Furey about combat conditioning and combat abs along with DVDs showing how ot do most the exercises. I can tell that is not going to happen until sometime next week.

I will try to post and say hi in other people's journals but forgive me if I don't make all right away. I kind of stay awake for about 1/2 hour at a time and then zone out.

My belly swelling has already started to go down. It no longer looks like a barrel. But there is a long way to go.

Do you think recovering from surgery is catabolic? :blank:

8. never2old

never2old Well-Known Member

Wishing you all the best as always, Justitia!

You could write "lawyer meanie" style in here all the time, and it would still always be a big lift and a great read!

-Martin

9. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well, thanks for the compliment and the good wishes.... Actually people do not get to read here my "lawyer meanie" style" though of course they see my inner lawyer coming out all the time...;) My lawyer meanie (which is a phrase I just made up) depends not only on what I say but my tone.. which gets increasingly commanding and aggressively assertive. If I do not get enough of a response, I start bringing in elements of shaming, and barking orders, etc. No one here ever wants to see me like that... it is really truly ugly... but it gets results when I am dealing with stupid pig-headed passive aggressive bureaucrats who don't respond to being nice and take pleasure in causing other people discomfort by passively not doing their job. I would never behave this way with people I plan to ever see again....:lol:

10. causticmuse

causticmuse Well-Known Member

I'm glad your surgery went well, Justitia! I know you will have a speedy recovery. :D

11. Gila Monster

Gila Monster Well-Known Member

Oh that is just grand!!!
    I wish I knew how to be a lawyer meanie myself! I don't like to be mean, but sometimes people of service will ignore you if you don't become assertive and commanding... :nono:

Glad to read your swelling is going down! You'll be doing those exercises in no time!!! :tucool:

12. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Today Friday July 7, 2006 at 4:00 in the afternoon was my first real walk outside in the real world since I entered the hospital on Monday. My belly shrunk enough so I could wear some of my new clothes and look OK.

I felt really energetic at the start and though I was wearing heels (sandals), I was walking at my usual fast clip, but after a few minutes it hit me that I did not have my usual store of energy and I better pace myself if I wanted to have a good walk.

The weather was beautiful, warm but not hot, just slightly humid so it was comforting.. and there was a gentle breeze in the air. The sun was starting to shimmer as it was beginning its arc towards setting a few hours later and just the whole world looked beautiful to me at that moment. My walk was going down hill, past some of the beautiful old buildings in downtown Baltimore, past a small park in a building's shade, filled with pigeons and people ambling about. It felt good to be out and in the world.

I dropped by one of my favorite local coffee places, ordered a roast beef sandwich on sunflower bread with lettuce and tomato, Dijon mustard and cheddar cheese, Russian dressing and cole slaw... one of my favorite messy sandwiches. I also got one of the chocolate muffins with chocolate chips and a large decaf coffee. Their coffee is delicious.

It was the first food I had had all day. My appetite has been almost non-existent as I had been warned. It is just as well, as my bowel system is still waking up from the anesthesia and I do not want to put any pressure on my abdomen.

I ate the chocolate muffin and drank the coffee while I waited for the sandwich. When it came, I realized I was too full to eat it, just from the muffin.

So I got up after a while and started to complete the circuit by walking up the hill into the direct sun which was lower in the sky.

A conference I usually attend was being held in Baltimore this year, this weekend, and a colleague of mine from another university with whom I have been friends for 10 years called and wanted to go out to dinner together. I had already said no but thought of calling him anyway. But by the time I got back to my place, I realized I was already getting tired and wanted to get back to bed.

I also thought about that muffin I ate. It certainly was not the healthiest choice given it was my first bite of the day. I had eaten very little over the past week, almost no protein and even less of anything else.

Over this past year, I have not made any serious attempt to stick consistently with any food plan. I did it about 65% of the time but indulged in ice cream and cake and donuts and candy when I wished. It did not cause me to gain any meaningful weight but I didn't lose any meaningful weight either. I think this was because over all I was undereating and even though I was not very consistent with my work-outs, I was consistent enough that my BF% still dropped a little (as measured by the drop in my clothing size, not professionally.)

I let myself do this because I have been through so much stress for about 20 months. At certain points it was job related, at other points it was personal stuff and then it became relentless medical and dental stuff for over 6 months that kept crescendoing into more serious issues and more serious bodily invasions.

But now that has all peaked with this surgery. I have more medical and dental stuff to go... it will continue for at least another 6 months but the worst is now over. The worst professional stuff is over, the worst personal and emotional stuff is now over, and the worst physical stuff is now over.

I think it is time for me to break the habit of indulging myself with comfort food and lax regularity in my physical workouts. It was a rough 18 months or so and I did need to be not too demanding on myself beyond coping as effectively as I could with all that I had to deal with. Everything came out well in the end, despite the taxing nature and the need for extreme patience and maintaining calmness in the areas of turmoil. I am extremely happy about that... and frankly rather proud of myself for not nose-diving where it was important for me not to nose-dive.

I was "lecturing" Choppy today about breaking the sugar and alcohol cycle and I realized, as I was thinking about that muffin I ate, that I need to break my own sugar cycle.

I hate to set absolutes for myself... because I know they are a sure way to be certain I will break them. But I think I want to commit to breaking my sugar cycle. I think I would like to decide to not use sugar for a while right now, not to use cheat meals as a justification... I think I need to come clean of it. It is true that for a year or more my glucose levels have been elevated... not to the point of being diabetic but above the level that warrants a warning. I know that since I have introduced cheat meals into my life, my sugar intake has increased. Even though I dropped dex from my PWO's, it has not been enough to bring my glucose levels down to my normal range.

I also see this as a time to get my sleep cycle back in order... another problem area of mine. Certainly all the stresses have messed up my sleeping patterns ...even when I went to bed timely, all it meant was that I would wake up a number of times through the night. I think now that the extremes of my stressors are over, I should try to straighten that out.

I also have been realizing something over the last several weeks, partly from reading in M@'s journal and others but it's something I have sort have known for a while. While I was living most of the time over in Belgium with my now ex LTR, from the end of 1999 to the beginning of 2004, I let go of a lot of casual friends here in Baltimore. A number of my closest friends had coincidentally moved away. I lost a number of closer friends during my first year back because they could not handle the grieving I was going through when my LTR and I broke up.

At the same time, in the summer of 2004, I found JSF and started spending a lot of time here. I felt great with all the friends I made here. It was more comforting to be here then with people I knew in Baltimore. It was more interesting. The people here at JSF are so much more interesting, more than my colleagues and more than people I know. So the combined effect of all of this has been that I have no friends any more in Baltimore, except one family.

I had no one to take me to the hospital. The one family, the wife, came to pick me up and drop me off at home when I left because the hospital would not discharge me otherwise. But they have very busy lives with a lot of children and both parents working. I did not feel comfortable to ask for any more than that from them.

There are a string of men I had been dating over these past 2 1/2 years, relationships that did not prove fruitful but with whom I have become "friends" ... though they are not real friends because they feel more like rejected lovers or rejected potential lovers. Some have offered assistance but it does not feel free and clean... I know there is an undercurrent of either hope or expectation or opportunity to express hostility, to "reject" me back. So I do not want to turn to that resource. It does not feel pleasant... and frankly it reminds me of my youth, having grown up a family who was completely unreliable and because of whom Ihad to fend for myself at a very early age, in my early teens. At that time, I turned to young men who were interested in me to help me. Though it seems preposterous that the same scenario could repeat itself 40 years later and at the age that I am... I do not want to repeat that. It is not sincere all the way around.

People in the area from JSF have also offered assistance during this period... and I appreciate knowing that I have that fallback... in fact, I am extremely grateful.

But the upshot is, I want to start using this time to develop new friends here in Baltimore... people that I can hang out with. People in the area, including JSF'rs. It is time for me to come out of the cocoon I have been in since January of 2004, and more severely since May of 2005.

So, though these are, to some extent, vague goals, I know what I need to do to start implementing them.

So tomorrow, one of my "friends" (ex-dating partner from many years ago) is taking me to Whole Foods in the morning. I think I will begin to turn a new page then.

And for now, my commitment is to give up sugar, at least for a while, and replace it with fruit. :)

I hope this does not seem too weird a post.

13. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well, no one wanted to read my long post :lol: That's OK... I wrote it mostly for me (a la Bluestreak)

Saturday, July 8th 2006

1:00Pm

So I did not get to sleep on time last night, which was one of my goals. The resistance was enormous. I finally turned out the lights at 4:45 AM. I set my alarm to 8:00 Am so I could call the person who was going to take me shopping in order to cancel. But when I woke and called him, I realized I could really get out of bed and stick to my schedule that was planned for today.

Shopping ha some annoyances attached to it...new uncooperative personnel and sticking to my decision to break sugar cycle was a little challenging since I still felt in the self-indulgence mode. But I really loaded up on delicious fruit and indulged myself by spending $11 on about 2 lbs of cherries :eek: But better that than sugar.

A little rushed, I only had a protein shake and some flax/fish oil to get going in the AM. But I got my shopping done. I got my next meal around 12:00, a little late but couldn't be helped. Some Friendship cottage cheese and blueberries.

I am worn out from this excursion. My plan is to watch an episode of West Wing (I have rented the DVDs to watch the series form the beginning. Not having a TV, I have only seen a few episodes... and I have already almost exhausted Curb Your Enthusiasm.... which is hilarious.... Thanks wh0!) Then to nap for 2 hours, then to get up and prepare the food. Watch another episode or two and read one of my new fitness books. Probably Combat Conditioning. I will probably look at one of the following as well that just arrived: Men's Health: The Book of Muscle--The World's Most Complete Guide to Building Your Body , Men's Health Home Workout Bible orNew Rules of Lifting : Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle, all by Lou Schuler et al. I think I will hold off on chicanerous' recommendation: Essentials of Weightlifting and Strength Training by Mohamed F. El-Hewie, though I am annoyed that he came out with a new hard cover edition right after I bought mine...

#13 Justitia, Jul 8, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  14. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I read your long post :D
    I'm so glad you are recovering and in good spirits as well! That was very nice of your friend to pick you up after you were discharged, but what is confusing is why the reception or checkout desk could not get you a cab. A young woman friend of my sister's just had some invasive surgery out in New Mexico, (probably not as extensive as yours) and had no one to pick her up the following day. The hospital called her a cab.

Anyway, don't worry about maintaining stellar nutrition at this time. Everything will come in it's due time, and when it does, we will all see a new and improved Justitia :nod:

:tu:

15. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks... and thanks for reading my long post. :D

The hospitals around here will not release patients to a cab. At least Johns Hopkins won't and neither will the Chesapeake Orthopedic Surgery Center (where some day I will get my foot surgery done, if nothing else intervenes.)

I don't plan to perfect around food but I do think it is a good time for me to give up sugar.

So 7:30 PM same day

I was so tired that after I posted early this afternoon from both lack of sleep as well as from my adventure shopping, I did not even watch an episode of West Wing and went right to sleep at around 1:30. I woke up around 6:00 PM. I ate 3.6 oz of Roast Beef, 1.5 oz of Widemere Cheese (like a cheddar) and a bit later 1/2 lb of fresh cherries. Every thing was fresh and tasted so delicious. A short while later I ate another 1/2 lb of cherries (at $5 bucks a pound :eek: ) and I figured I better accompany it with a protein shake, which I am sipping right now.

I just finished episode 9 of the first season of West Wing (mailed DVDs are great! and this is a free month trial which I will cancel as soon as the month is up.) It was extremely interesting. It was about picking a nominee for the Supreme Court.

#15 Justitia, Jul 8, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  16. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

What follows is a discussion of the Constitutional Right of Privacy that waspropted by a WEST WING episode, so for those who want to avoid eye-glazing reading, move on to your next chosen thread or the next post here. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Disclaimer: I am not a Constitutional Law expert, so if there are any here who are reading this find errors that need to be corrected -- please feel free to post -- no offense taken... :tu:

On the show, there was a debate as to whether there was a Constitutional Right to Privacy. It was very interesting and extremely well done.

What I found particularly interesting is that they skipped over the origins of the establishment of that Constitutional Right.

In fact, it is not explicitly stated in the Constitution that we have a right of privacy. During the turn of the last century, i.e. 1900's, the Supreme Court was starting to expand the rights of individuals. Justice Brandeis (serving Sup Ct from 1916-1939) argued in a famous dissent (Olmstead v US 1928) that the "right of privacy" was indeed found in the Constitution, that it was there in the "penumbra" (outer edge of the shadows) of the Constitution. The case was about whether the government had an unfettered right to wiretap the phones of individuals. The majority disagreed with Brandeis and his fellow dissenters and upheld the government's freedom to wiretap whom they wanted.

It wasn't until 1965 in Griswold v. Connecticut , when the Sup Ct., deciding whether the state, in banning the use of contraceptives, had the right to make it illegal for married couples to have access to them. Justice Douglas (Brandeis's successor upon his retirement) invoked Brandeis's dissent on notion of the penumbra of the Constitution containing the Right of Privacy in order to strike down the Connecticut law.

All of this critical history is left out of the discussion in West Wing. They do an excellent job of presenting both sides of the argument, including going back to the statements of the original framers of the Constitution in the 1700's, which is part of the argument.

But the discussion has as its tenor, that -- if you believe in the right of privacy -- of course it is a Constitutional right.

It conveys that the writers sense (or they are sufficiently young themselves to feel) that it has become such an accepted notion to the public at large, so unquestioned, they feel no need to point out explicitly that it is not explicitly in the Constitution and until 40 years ago, it was not held as a right in this country.

I find that amazing. Not because it is not true, it probably is, but it is in my living memory about the social debate to reach that conclusion. I was already in college (though only 16) when the Griswald decision came down. I do not perceive that right as "automatic" as probably most younger people today do.

The discussions of the right of privacy are coming up in these very few weeks with regard to tracking people's activities on the internet, peoples international transfers of money, the stolen laptop with 10's of thousands of veterans "confidential" information.

Regardless of what position any particular person holds (I am avoiding here the political dimensions of the current debates), all of the discussions are premised on whether the particular issues fall or do not fall within the right of privacy. There is no discussion as to whether there is a right to privacy. No one even thinks of it as a question. Yet as recently as 40 years ago, it was a question of whether people had a right of privacy.

So I find the choice of West Wing, in presenting the arguments, not only a well done exposition of the positions on both sides but also an interesting social observation.

Well, that little discussion took me 2 hours to write, as I had to research a lot of it to make sure as best as I could, that I wasn't saying the wrong thing.. as this is not my area of law and so I am not completely familiar with the details. I hope some here found it interesting to read. It was interesting for me to write...:)

So this post is going up at 9:30... when it was 7:30 when I started.

So another episode or two of West Wing, maybe some more food and then off to bed.

#16 Justitia, Jul 8, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  17. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

BTW, I tried to do a squat or two yesterday (just my own body weight)... and I couldn't get down to the horizontal Agghhh! :( :(

But then again, I should fit right in with the guys at my gym...:lol: :lol: :lol:

I know it will come as I heal... but I just had to try...:cool:

18. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Oooohhh! I am cramping....:( It hurts....:(

I have eaten more food today than I have in a week and all it was, was
    2 protein shakes,
    1 cup of LF cottage cheese,
    1 lb fresh cherries,
    1 pint blueberries,
    1 Tbls Flax seed Oil w/Lignans and
    3 fish oil caps (1mg each).

Edit: Add to that later (after the codeine and ibuprofen pills) 1/2 lb fresh figs, 1lb Fresh Strawberries, 1 black plum, 1 banana ... strange... I do not know where this insatiable craving for fruit comes... maybe it is compensating for the sugar withdrawel....:lol:

But I did take my vitamins and various (non-workout) supps today for the first time.

Time to pop some heavy duty codeine and ibuprofene...:p Back to fuzzy-headed land... :lol:

#18 Justitia, Jul 8, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2006
  19. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Sunday July 9, 2006, 12:00 noon.

Didn't fall asleep until 6:00 AM. I am sure that is because of sleeping all day yesterday. So it is now 12:00 noon.

I woke up at 8:00 AM. Ate some oatmeal as a suggestion of Chicanerous, given my fruit orgy yesterday.Fresh cooked Steel Cut oats with some ATW vanilla isolate protein (can't wait until I use up ATW's products so I can switch to my Nitrean -- but I have about 30 lbs of protein powder to go, as I place a huge order of Blend just before John dropped them as a sponsor), some heavy cream.

By itself the oats tasted not only nutty but a little bitter. The can is over 6 years old (probably 8). I don't remember when I opened it but other than an occasional addition to my PWO recently, I haven't eaten in any in several years for sure. Can steel cut oats go rancid?

Didn't like the taste of the Vanilla Isolate either, though that and the cream covered up the bitterness. I rarely use the vanilla. It is the same that I ordered, probably a year and a half ago. Can that go bad? There is not much left. Perhaps I should toss it.

Nothing else to report. I am still cramping, I think it is still gas form the surgery and I also may be constipated though I have been taking 1 gel cap of Dulcolax 2 x a day since I got home form the hospital as per instruction. Nothing has happened in that department though there was some very painful attempt yesterday for the first time. SO i doubled the dosage to 2 caps 2 x a day and see what that does.

West Wing continues along nicely. I might finish Disc 2 tonight.
    It is a truly great series -- no wonder it was so popular on TV and won so many records. And it seems right that they canceled the show when John SPencer died. Itseems to me that he is the anchor of the show and the real steady, day to day, moral core. The President (Martin Sheen) is the visionary and the one who sets the moral tone, but it is the Spencer character who is the true spoke of the wheel. Abbie was jsut introduced as a regular character, though we met her briefly earlier in the season. It is so weird. Stockard Channing looks so attractive and fetching. In her yout as an actress, she made her name as the "unattractive" one... great actress, really funny features. She must have had some plastic surgery, age improved the nature of her featres and she looked a little botoxed up, which was just beginning to be the rage qat the time of the first season.

Anyway, it is great to see her talent come to such a shining light, that mature roles are becoming to her.

Martin Sheen is a year younger than me! He looks 10 years older and that is 6 years ago! He does not look 51 there, he looks closer to 60. I wonder if he has been on steroids for a heart condition or something. He is bloated and puffy as all h*ll.

#19 Justitia, Jul 9, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  20. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

There is no sensation on my abdomen skin above the incision. I am sure this is normal... but it is really creepy.

It is 2:30 in the afternoon. I am tired on 5 hours sleep. I am afraid to go to sleep for fear I will have an all nighter again.

I am going to my first meeting this evening. It will be strange.