1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Just purchased VIZIO XVT553SV 55-Inch Class Full Array TruLED - need help for set up!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Justitia, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well, it's been a long time since I've been here (again!) A long story of many distractions.
    However, PGC -- who now lives up here wanted a TV -- and since we have two apartments in the building -- and I have not had a TV since 1993 -- the agreement was it would go down in his apartment.

SO we bought a VIZIO XVT553SV 55-Inch Class Full Array TruLED

I am having trouble finding out information of what I need. We have comcast cable Digital Starter with Video On Demand & HD Technology

i already have the HDMI cables -- but I need a longer coaxial cable from the wall to the comcast box.
    The trouble is -- I have no idea what specs I want. Do I want THX certified? Someone told me that THX is for older technology. The monster cable I was looking at was discontinued.
    Another person said that tHX certified promises good quality.
    I also know that many people say -- al lyou need is a coaxial cable and there is not point in throwing away money on an expensive Monster cable.

I am not tryin got conserve money here -- I just want ot get the best -- I just don't know what the best is.

Can anyone help?

2. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

You're asking about coaxial cable? Think of it this way. The cable company is running miles of the stuff. If you spend billions on the perfect cable to attach to those miles of crappy cable company cable it'll be like spitting into the ocean.

3. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Wish I could help you.....

I have a Sharp 1080p Aquos....connected to Shaw Canadian cable service.

I have a Blu-ray player for discs.....I use an Optical cable for the sound portion which runs to a home theater rig. The picture is HDMI cable.

I don't have the digital cable box....actually the first 100 channels or so are still broadcast analog, and then you get the digital channels on top of that (if you have the digital box).

I have about 70 channels of 3-tier analog cable...which is fine with me because I noticed there was a vast improvement in picture over my old cathode ray T.V. as soon as I plugged in the new T.V.

I just run a good quality c0-ax from the wall connecter to the t.v. connector...works fine.

A good quality c0-ax has better connected "shielding" on the ends....much better than those "make-it-yourself " connectors.

4. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

Cables don't matter, dont' fall for the hype.

5. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

This.

Especially once you move into digital. With digital, basically the signal is just 1's and 0's which either get there or they don't. A 6 foot $200 thx certified monster cable will give you the same picture as a $15 value brand providing the 1's and 0's get from point a to point b. Its mostly just marketing which makes up the $185 difference. Material and build quality is likely nicer in the more expensive cables, but as long as they plug in and work its just an aesthetic difference.

Cable marketing is one of the biggest marketing scam's around, right up there with the $100 bottle of diet pills that's basically just $5 worth of caffeine pills.

Don't worry about it, just get a cable that's the right length and enjoy the new TV :)

6. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

I was on an iPhone before, but to elaborate:

Cables are by far the highest margin item of the purchase. The TV's and actual gear is so cutthroat there is no money in them. That's why the salesmen push them so hard, they get incentives.

They make up stuff like "10-20% of your budget should be for cables" and other non-sense.

Go to monoprice.com, get you what you need, be done and happy :)

7. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

phone your cable company and tell them how many ft you need, they should drop it off same day or next day. just have them leave it at your door.

rg 6 or rg59... doesn't really matter which kind as long as they are compression fittings. goto walmart, anything will do.

did you do any research when you purchased that tv? i have seen nothing but problems with that brand of tv, fyi.

8. JKulp42757

JKulp42757 Well-Known Member

Vizio seems to have good reviews from what I've seen. They are definitely one of the better deals for the price.