1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Just humiliated myself today..can anyone relate?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Christian13, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Christian13

Christian13 Well-Known Member

Please tell me it's not so bad, lol. :lol:

I started really taking lifting seriously since I joined my new gym last month. My last gym only had machines and dumbells.

So I've been doing squats for the past month. These past 2 weeks, this guy at the gym showed me how to do barbell lunges on a stepper. Today, on my 3rd set last rep, I went really low and slow. I couldn't get up and I slowly fell on my ass with the weight still behind me. :o

I dropped the bar by tilting my body, picked it up and placed it on the rack, waited another minute, and did one more set.

Lol, and I didn't bother looking at anyone after the fall and my music was loud so I didn't hear anything else...:o

#1 Christian13, Jan 17, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  2. George

George Senior Member

Something very similar happened to me yesterday. :lol:
    I actually slipped and fell backwards while doing lunges. Yeah, it was pretty :o .

3. betastas

betastas Well-Known Member

Whatever. That's nothing.

Worst thing that happened to me is I fell backwards off a swiss ball when I was doing overhead DB presses. It wasn't a little "oops I lost my balance, I'm fine" it was a heels over head, flat smash onto the mats and the weights went flying. Flat on my back, feet straight up in the air.

I just got up, cussed a lot and then never did that again. :D

4. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yeah, that sort of stuff happens.

The other day I finished a set and started stripping off plates, but my mind was already on the next set. I ended up pulling off all the bumpers on one side without thinking about it and, having turned my back to put the last bumper on that side on a rack beside me, I suddenly hear a big crash. I turn around and what do you know it's my barbell on the floor. :bang:

The gym was packed that day too (though no one was using the platform beside me luckily).

5. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It's not so bad. The good news is that you got up and did it another set. :tucool:

I've done it all in the gym. Passed out, puked, fell, cut my shins (once had to clean skin and blood off the barbell), slipped on the treadmill, dropped plates on my feet... don't worry about it. You should feel more embarassed if you were sitting at home watching TV every day. :)

6. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

You've been squatting, you failed a lunge rep and it's humiliating?

You're doing good exercises. Great exercises actually.

So polish up your lunge, reduce load a little, and go back to kicking butt.

The humiliation is in your mind.

7. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Wow, you've actually passed out? I've come close, but never actually lost consciousness.

I think my worst moment was years ago, when I was first lifting. My gym was some little hole in the wall dungeon with alot of lifters who fancied themselves as fairly "hardcore". So "hardcore" in fact, that the gym didn't even have collars for the bars....so it wasn't even an option (I think you can see where this is going). Well, I was doing incline BB presses, but little did I know, that my weak side was dragging a bit....actually, more than just a bit given that the 45 lb metal plate proceeded to slide off the bar and fall about 6 feet to the thinly covered concrete floor. When that happened, the other side of the bar dropped rapidly (because it still had weight on it), hit me in the head, and then crashed to the floor. It pretty much sounded like a bomb went off in the gym. To add to the humiliation, everybody stopped what they were doing and stared dumbfounded at the aftermath of this embarassing event. I felt like I was in the movies. Yeah....it sucked.....but I definately learned the value of collars on that day.

8. ucfmatt

ucfmatt Active Member

In high school this kid's grip slipped during heavy barbell decline bench presses and he dropped the bar on his head. He was just lying there looking kind of dazed but he looked OK. He had pretty long hair so we didn't notice any injury, then when he sat up all the blood that had been collecting in his hair from the gash on top of his head came pouring down his face, it was gross.

You fell down, you didn't get injured, and you picked it back up and kept going. That doesn't sound so bad!

9. BigDog

BigDog Well-Known Member

I work out in my basement, so it lacks the public piece of the equation, but here's my story:

I was doing asymmetrical db bench presses on a swiss ball (working on balance and core stability) using relatively light weights (a 50 and a 65 I think). And was really pushing for a few more reps.

The ball started to roll on me as I was getting fatigued, and I just. could not. get. it. to. stop. Slow motion. Pedaling like a crab. Ditching the weights. Falling off the ball. Into the wall.

Crack. Sheetrock.

I'm lucky there was a stud near where I hit. Otherwise I might have gone right through a bit of it.

There is no shame in falling when you are working hard. Don't stress it at all.

10. eleonardo

eleonardo Well-Known Member

Passed out???? that's overdoing it in my book :)
    Puking is a line I don't want to cross either.
    I imagine it wasn't a pretty sight (nor smell) :D

11. GRCRYSTYK

GRCRYSTYK Well-Known Member

"I'll leave this place proud or I'll leave this place broken"

:bb: Push on brother!!

>>>--->

12. KT Monahan

KT Monahan Active Member

I gather there wasn't a whole line of people doing BB lunges, were there? But there was a line at the machines and elipticals? Don't worry about it. You were doing an exercise that most people at most gyms wouldn't even attempt and you got right back after you faltered. That's good stuff.

13. needachange

needachange Active Member

Not quite the same but it involves a swiss ball. I heard a guy at my gym was doing DB Press on a swiss ball and while he was repping the ball popped and when his back and hit the floor the weight and his elbow hitting the floor broke one of his arms :eek: Not so much embarassing but that would suck really bad. Ever since I heard about that I never see anyone do DB Presses on a swiss ball. The only thing I see people do anymore is some form of ab work or reverse hypers.

14. Christian13

Christian13 Well-Known Member

Hehe, thanks guys, I do feel a lot better now. The squats I did before the lunges really killed me, and I think losing focus got me careless, so I learned from it. But now that I read some of your guy's moments, you guys are hardcore! :tucool:

15. betastas

That was actually the first time I tried them. I prefer to have a stable overload platform nowadays, like my legs. :D

16. droopy172

droopy172 Active Member

Wow that must've sucked really bad I always think of that one commercial where the girl runs on the treadmill hits the stop button then falls flat on her face. I get that feeling everytime i'm on a treadmill so I usually hold on to the rails. Anyhow falling on your ass isn't that bad I did full squats for quite sometime and as I gained mass the lower I go the more my boxers stretch. I tore 3 pairs while full squatting and you can hear it go RRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIP thank god its not my pants. I no longer do full squats unless I wear briefs LOL

17. betastas

Haha droopy, I've done the exact same thing - I've actually split 6 pairs of boxers. Once I split them I just go all the way ATG, tear them wide open and keep going. Briefs are just so much better for squatting.

18. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

All you can do is dress them up..............:whistle:

19. hemburger

hemburger Well-Known Member

Dream, public memory is short. Whoever has seen you fall will probably not recollect the incident after some time. However, you need to move beyond this "failure". Thats how we learn, and keep doing the lunges. As long as you are fine, nothing else matters.

20. Sole

Sole Well-Known Member

My worst --

Dropping a dumbell on my right index finger after dumbell benching. I was in college at the time, and had no idea on how to lower DBs after benching. Needless to say, the 60lb. DB exploded my finger, covering the gym floor w/ blood. It was gnarly to say the least.

So, keeping my calm, I walked up to the gym's front desk to report the accident. I had my hand wrapped in a gym towel, and politely told the poor girl working there that had been an accident, and I was going to need a little first aid before driving myself to the hospital.

For some reason she thought I was joking and started laughing...until I unwrapped my hand. The poor girl nearly passed out at the sight of my mangled finger, complete with an impressive amount of blood, visible bone and a fingernail hanging off.

In the end, I ended up with a bunch of stitches, and eventually, a rather goofy looking right index finger that's considerably shorter than it should be.

Moral of the story? Failing on lunges is nothing!!